Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Strangest English words.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So. I was... Doing things today, that revealed me some of the most confusing English words. So, I'm a foreigner, and I had -no- idea what they meant. So, I'm looking for explanation.

Rueful
Gossamer
Deftly
Incredulously
Obligingly
Conspiratorial
Hillock
Furtively

What I'm looking for here, is; Where could I use some of these words? Like, an example. The dictionary doesn't help me much, at least the online one.
Azheron Wrote:Rueful
Gossamer
Deftly
Incredulously
Obligingly
Conspiratorial
Hillock
Furtively
  • He smiled ruefully. It's a smile, but a sad smile.
    The veil covered her face like gossamer. It's a thin, semi-transparent fabric.
    He threw the knife deftly. He's skilled, and faster than your average person at a particular activity.
    "Are you serious!?" His voice was incredulous. An incredulous person can't believe their eyes.
    He smiled obligingly. "Alright, sure, officer. Let's go down to the precinct and sort all of this out." He doesn't think there's a problem, but the police officer does, so he's willing to oblige the police officer's request.
    He winked conspiratorially as he lit the fuse. He's including you in his actions.
    The scout pointed behind him. "They're just over that hillock." Honestly, nobody really uses the word hillock any more. It's just a small hill.
    He slipped furtively through the shadows to get behind them. Being furtive is being sneaky. Like a rogue.

Hope this helps.
I... See.

OH GOD

I just accidentally made my browser turn the whole page into Finnish.

Oh no...

But yeah, I get them now.

Fanks mistur rentsy.
Here's one:

Indeed.

it's a weird word. If you don't belive me, listen to the youtube video to Teal'c (From Stargate) Say it over and over and over and over again.
Quote:Where could I use some of these words?

In a sentence, obviously! ;)

Like here haha - (some of the words here, especially the adverbs were very akward to use. They're better off being used in their adjective forms, I put a star next to those words in particular):

Rueful-
The rueful (regretful) widow felt remorse at now having loved her husband fully.
Gossamer-
The priest wore garments of fine, white gossamer (gossamer is type of fabric, I believe).
Deftly-
The clock-maker assembled the delicate parts of the clock deftly (skillfully).
Incredulously*-
The man shook his head incredulously (unbelieveingly) as he listened to the priest.
Obligingly*-
The man obligingly (forcibly, felt that he should ought to) gave the beggar some money.
Conspiratorial-
The policeman followed the man after having hear his almost conspiratorial (shady, showing signs of being involved in a conspriacy) speech.
Furtively-
The shady thief sneaked furtively (secretly) into the mansion.

And I had to look up hillock since I had no idea what it meant at all ...
hill·ock   /ˈhɪlək/
–noun
a small hill.

Pretty self-explanatory I'd say - haha! Hope I helped ;).
"the"
"it"
"how"
"my"

for some reason i've always looked at common words and thought... why?
WHY DO WE USE THE LETTER 'S' SO MUCH? D:
S is squigly :9
English, the ever so confusing language..
If everything was in Finnish, it would be much simpler.
Oh yes.

What.
Skullduggery.
Azheron Wrote:Incredulously
Obligingly
Conspiratorial
Furtively

I should kill you for not knowing these.

Then again, three of them are close to their Portuguese translations. .-.
Every single word in British accent.

Once tried learning some of those so I could RP a british gentleman assassin. Fun was had :D.
Tohvelielukka Wrote:Every single word in British accent.

Once tried learning some of those so I could RP a british gentleman assassin. Fun was had :D.

... You don't say anti-clockwise?

As a Brit I feel so alien now.
Rensin Wrote:Skullduggery.

What?
Skullduggery: underhanded or unscrupulous behavior; also : a devious device or trick.

"This skullduggery on your behalf must end, lest the problem intensify."
Pages: 1 2