Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: So. My computer hates me.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So. As of late, my computer's power source fan has been making a very uncomfortable sound. It just sounds like it's been struggling. Yes, I plan on getting some compressed air and giving it a good blasting soon. But here's an even bigger problem that's been arising.

Over the last few days, my computers condition has been deteriorating.

Games I used to be able to play on their highest graphics settings like WoW and Civ 4 now lag so severely that I need to set them to the lowest graphics. Over the course of a few days.

I really have no idea how to explain this. I did an antivirus scan (Which turned up nothing, and even has added more of a problem to my situation) and I am currently running a Disk Defragmenter, and once that's done, a full clean up. I won't really know how much my computer has improved until I've done all of that, sadly.

Now, the issue with the earlier scan.

My Avast Antivirus won't scan certain files. (I have Vista) I'm attaching a screenshot for reference.

So, any ideas? I'm really stumped.
To me, it sounds like your graphics card is about to break down. Thaat would explain the drop in FPS while playing games.
Roxas65 Wrote:sounds like your graphics card is about to break down

Well.....

Crap.

I'm boned if that's the case.

*Is broke. Already has to pay to make up classes, and pay for licensing exam.*

Fantastic.
Sounds more like several problems arising at one time. It doesn't seem to me that any of those three problems are related. However Roxas65 could be along the lines regarding your graphics card. Alot of dust/dirt can collect in your computer so you probably will want to get some compressed air up in that biznatch soontimes. I took mine apart and carefully used a Q-Tip to get most of it. After using Compressed Air, of course. Also you might want to look into a new Antivirus. There are a few good ones out there besides Avast. However I run both Avast and Norton and they seem to work fine. D:

If all else fails. Formatting your computer usually helps.
How old are your parts? and how often do you clean your hardware?
Also: Check the contacts of various cables, the Graphic Card [I am guessing it is so not the Onboard one.] And if all else fails, get a computer-hardware geek friend to look at it.
Lol. All I can thing about when you say avast is "Avast, ye swabs! We're under attack! Repel the invaders!"

Also, it could be dust stuck in some fans making the graphicscard slightly overheat, causing it to trip balls. Try cleaning it like the others said.
I've always liked avast. =/ I suppose I can look at AVG or something.

It -is- pretty dusty in there, but Canned Air is always a pain for me to get my hands on sadly. Not many hardware stores in my area. And the computer really isn't that old. It does need to be cleaned.

Also, I took a look inside of it (Clear panel) and I noticed a cable hanging freely. (One of those lengths of wires with a black colored piece at the tip.) Maybe it fell out? Would it affect the computer? I don't know, but I'm afraid to try and put it back into it's place if it did fall out of something.

Edit: On a whim, I checked out our supply closet and found a can of compressed air. Not alot left, but it may be enough. I'll give it a spritz after the defrager is done.
I may be a dinosaur. but I clean my hardware with a brush. not canned air. just take your computer apart [make sure you can construct it back.] and use a brush, the thinner the better, to dust out all the parts. It may take an hour or so, but it's working.
sunday12321 Wrote:I may be a dinosaur. but I clean my hardware with a brush. not canned air. just take your computer apart [make sure you can construct it back.] and use a brush, the thinner the better, to dust out all the parts. It may take an hour or so, but it's working.

Would canned air cause any harm? I'd never use a vacuum cause I hear the risk of static electricity frying something is high. Gotta admit though, I find the though of brushing those sensitive parts down a bit worrisome.
Compressed air would not hurt the inside of your computer. It's.. just air. Maybe if you throw the can at it, it might damage it. A toothbrush and Q-Tip could be very damaging if you do it too hard. A vacuum.. just no. I did it once and managed not to hurt anything but what if someone bumps into you, you don't pay enough attention and get too close or something like that? You could f00k something up majorly.
Cleaned the sucker out. Works almost as good as new now.

Correction. It just lags less. It still has these random slow downs. Usually only a few seconds and a few minutes apart. But it worries me.
So, I've tried everything. No dice.

Avast Antivirus revealed nothing. Malwarebytes? Nothing. Defragging? Nothing. Disk Cleanup? Nothing. Uninstalling a massive amount of programs? Nothing. Cleaning the inside of my computer? Nothing.

It can't be overheating. I cleaned the sucker out till it was spotless, and short of removing the graphics card and cleaning it by hand, it's as clean as it can get. Also, I keep my room very very very cold.

I do have one theory, but I am still a skeptic. I may have a faulty power source. The damn thing has been a source of annoying, loud noises for months. But the lag only started last week.

I can't afford to replace anything.

I think I've honestly tried everything.
I had a very similar problem to this, and I'm afraid to tell you that it's a hardware thing.

Don't leave your computer on over long periods while you aren't around. My card was acting like this, and I was trying to play some GMod. Suddenly, I smelled smoke and burning plastic. The fan on my card had melted onto the housing.

Yours might not be as severe, but that definitely sounds like a hardware issue.

Sorry bro. If I still had my old 7600 I'd ship it to you, but I already gave it away...
Don't leave it off for too long either. By long, I mean months at a time.
DarthNader26 Wrote:hardware thing.

Grand. The one issue I can't fix.

Well, I can probably replace the power source and graphics card in...3-5 to months. I should have some money to spend by then.
Pages: 1 2