Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: The Fall of the Lich King
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is a thread on the events of patch 3.3 on retail: The Fall of the Lich King. If you aren't aware of what's going on with the story, and don't want to be spoiled, TURN AWAY NOW

Spoiler:
I think it's pretty safe to say that a majority is really displeased with how the Lich King story line ended. I, for one, have been waiting for this moment for a very long time. I was not pleased with how this turned out. Not one bit.

"There must always be a Lich King!" Why? Because if left unchecked, the Scourge will roam free and annihilate Azeroth. Right. I don't buy it. First of all, I don't think corpses should remain animated if the entity causing the animation ceases to exist. However, it is this way in the Warcraft universe, hence the Forsaken. Alright, fine. So if the Forsaken were created by the Lich King losing his grasp over a portion of his undead army, causing them to regain free-will, why isn't it the same for the rest of the Scourge? Huge logical fallacy here.

I also have a problem with the Lich King's scheme. So instead of using his massive army, that which exeeds both the Horde's and Alliance's combined, to wipe life from the face of the planet, he attacks said armies to provoke them into a long, drawn-out conflict. One that causes a large portion of his forces, including his most powerful generals, to fall at the hands of the armies he could have decimated to begin with. And all these "set-backs" were part of his cartoon-villain schemes to lure the most powerful heroes of Azeroth to him, so that he could turn them against the world they once fought for? I'm sorry, but I don't care how much you "delight in the irony", Mr. LK. That's a very ridiculous plot.

I don't believe the writers knew exactly what they wanted to do with the Lich King. For starters, there's a quest the Alliance get in Howling Fjord called the Echo of Ymiron that has players step into the spirit world. Once there, the Lich King speaks to the player:

Quote:"Shamanism has brought you here... Its scent permeates the air. *The Lich King laughs* I was once a shaman."

Now, this would make sense if Blizzard followed what they originally told us about him. They said the Lich King was a perfect formation of minds of Arthas Menethil and Ner'zhul. They were one entity. However, Christie Golden's The Rise of the Lich King (see a theme here?) contradicts that, saying that Arthas pushed out Nerzhul's consciousness. Not only that, but he supposedly killed the remaining vestiges of humanity left in him. There is even a quest-line in Icecrown that players can do that explore the concept that there is no more Arthas or Ner'zhul, only the Lich King. The quest involves a ghost child named Matthias Lehner (anagrams, anyone?) who appears from the frozen heart of the Lich King under Icecrown Citadel. Yes, the Lich King literally cut out his own heart and cast it from his body, further enforcing that Arthas' humanity is gone. Let me show you some dialog from the end of the quest.

Quote: The Lich King says: I must confess... you were not altogether unexpected. I hope you find your final resting place... to your liking.
Highlord Tirion Fordring says: You sound a little too confident. Especially considering the way our last encounter ended.
The Lich King says: Last time we met, you had the advantage of fighting on holy ground. You'll find that our situation has been... reversed.
Highlord Tirion Fordring says: That might be, but I don't need to stand on holy ground to run that disembodied heart of yours through with the Ashbringer.
The Lich King says: I call your bluff. You're a paladin after all. Your obsession with redemption goes beyond the inane.
The Lich King says: You surely wouldn't destroy humanity's only chance to redeem its most wayward son. You'd sooner die!
Highlord Tirion Fordring says: The heart... the last remaining vestige of your humanity. I had to stop it from being destroyed. I had to see for myself. And at last I'm sure...
Highlord Tirion Fordring says: Only shadows from the past remain. There's nothing left to redeem!

At that point, Tirion charges Arthas' heart and destroys it. If it's not obvious at this point: Arthas. Is. Dead. He has no more humanity left in him. He is simply the Lich King and nothing more. So why, then, is the only thing holding the Scourge back from wiping out Azeroth the last of Arthas's humanity? There is no humanity! Did Blizzard not read their own quests? Did they completely forget about Golden's novel? This is ridiculous. There's so much logic fail in this plot - it makes me want to scream.

Anyway, I hope by now I've proven my point. The Lich King plot line was silly, especially the ending. My question to you CotHites is this:

Were you dissatisfied with the plot of this expansion? If so, should we change how things happened? Seeing as this server is not up to patch 3.3 story-wise, I think it would be a great opportunity to collaborate and come up an ending that is truly fitting to our fallen prince of Lordaeron.
You think that's silly? In Cata, he comes back... And Frostmourne is a squeaky hammer!

No, but seriously. I've been thinking the same friggin' things for.... Well, since I heard the end of WotLK
Aye. I'm all for changes and ret-conning if it progresses the story in better ways, but this is just silly. Really, it reads like a high school student's fan fic.
I think anyone here could easily have written a better one.
I think as a business they're geared more towards making 'content' and keeping the PvE and PvPers happy with the need to have the latest gear and be part of a guild that is the number one raider on their server as opposed to those who enjoy RP or their lore, because that's the far far majority of their player base. But yeah, a little disappointed.
"There must always be a Lich King - Otherwise 67% of the Northrend quests would no longer have a purpose"
This really differs from the other pieces of war craft lore I've read, a bit disappointing to say the least.
Quote:"There must always be a Lich King!" Why? Because if left unchecked, the Scourge will roam free and annihilate Azeroth. Right. I don't buy it.

To be honest, to me it sounded like Ner'zhul trying to convince Tirion that there has to be a Lich King so he can become one with a better being than Arthas. Whether it was Tirion or Bolvar. But then you mentioned about Arthas pushing out Ner'zhul so I guess Blizzard just fails more.
I believe they explained it as, teh Lich King letting all the goodie-goodie Champions of the Crusade/Horde/Alliance to fight him right at the Frozen Throne, then he kinda said "Now I keel you and raise you all as my servants!" I believe his aim was to give the living some hope, then laugh and crush it as he kills their strongest heroes, and raises them as his own champions and watch them ravage and destroy the world.

Pretty sure it was something like that.
Cowssaymoo Wrote:I believe they explained it as, teh Lich King letting all the goodie-goodie Champions of the Crusade/Horde/Alliance to fight him right at the Frozen Throne, then he kinda said "Now I keel you and raise you all as my servants!" I believe his aim was to give the living some hope, then laugh and crush it as he kills their strongest heroes, and raises them as his own champions and watch them ravage and destroy the world.

Pretty sure it was something like that.

And he -did- do that, however, Tirion came up and did a mass resurrection before Arthas could raise them, apparently, and still had enough strength left to kill the LK.
... How did the actual storyline go...?
Technically it was the Light and Ashbringer who did the uber-stuff.. and the hundreds of thousands of Souls from Frostmourne helping to keel teh Lich King? [and when you have people like Uther in there... yeeeeeeah.]
... So uhh.

Basically, his sword and the power of love killed him.
The Light isn't love? hell no one knows what the hell it actually is, except that it hurts Demons and deadies alot, it can heal and even bring people from teh ded.
Hawk Wrote:
Quote:"There must always be a Lich King!" Why? Because if left unchecked, the Scourge will roam free and annihilate Azeroth. Right. I don't buy it.

To be honest, to me it sounded like Ner'zhul trying to convince Tirion that there has to be a Lich King so he can become one with a better being than Arthas. Whether it was Tirion or Bolvar. But then you mentioned about Arthas pushing out Ner'zhul so I guess Blizzard just fails more.
Honestly, I'd be totally cool if they did that. That's something I've thought about for a while, and it's still possible they plan on playing with that idea. Someone from Blizzard said something like "we're not ready to tell Ner'zhul's story just yet". To me, that means he's gonna do something badass.

However, that means he never really was vanquished. It would be cool if he were still inside the armor. One of my problems with the whole there-must-always-be-a-Lich-King thing is that no one suggests to dismantle the Scourge. Great, so Bolvar is now the "jailer of the damned". But why can't he just round up the Scourge of the world into one place to be annihilated? Thus, the threat is gone and people do not have to live in fear anymore. Bolvar could then sacrifice himself and become one with the Light instead of being shackled in a block of ice for eternity.

Really, what happened to the writing at Blizzard?
Pages: 1 2