Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Warlocks and the Arcane...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been discussed quite a few times, but I've never seen a solid yes/no on the matter. Can warlocks still use their original arcane magic, or does the fel corrupt so completely, that it even taints the arcane a 'lock uses, rendering it unusable? I've RP'd warlocks for years, and only recently did I find out that this was to be disputed, and I'd just like to see what you lot think? Can a warlock cast an ice spell, can s/he use blink, create a portal, etc. etc.?
In my opinions, Warlocks should be able to cast the basic spells from their training as a mage. Eg, fireball, icebolt, etc. However, they wouldn't be able to use the more complex spells like a portal, that would be part of what they gave up for the Fel.
On Warlocks.

It's just easier to copy-paste than write up something new!
Piroska Wrote:Regarding the transition from mage to warlock, I would think that it's very common for mages to become warlocks, more so than any other type of person; remember, fel energy is really a perversion of arcane energy. It wouldn't be surprising to find that some had undertaken studies in fel energy in the all encompassing pursuit of knowledge -- though it should be very evident that they did so in absolute secrecy since Dalaran in particular is very adamant in the destruction of demons and those who consort with them.

[...]

I understand that balance issues come into play that prevent people from being too powerful, but you can still allow your mage training to influence what you do and why. Ideally, your character is still working with the arcane, which is something that a mage probably worked with and studied quite a bit. However, that magic has been corrupted (typically by demonic blood). So, in theory, your character is still using the same magic that he possessed as a mage; it's just been corrupted and twisted into fel magic.

Specifically, magic associated with the Fire and Arcane trees would be the easiest to transition since the same types of magic is portrayed by warlocks; they have spells like Incinerate and Conflagration that are fire-based in nature, while we can always say that the arcane magic (which is much more malleable) transitioned into Shadow magic. Frost would be a little more difficult to explain, but perhaps the addition of fel magic would allow your character to explore its more negative traits: intense cold, absence of life, its killing ability, whatever!

Bottom line: you probably possess the same basic magic that you did as a mage. It's just been perverted by the fel, whether from you physically taking demon blood (I believe it's usually imbibed) or from consorting with demons. The fear of being too powerful is probably unwarranted since the magic is essentially the same; you have all of your old abilities but they've been twisted. They would be unable to exist in the same way that they had before.
Summary: no, I don't believe that the Arcane magic and original applications have been rendered unusable. They have just been mutated into barely recognizable forms. We know that fel magic can pervert a human being, both physically and mentally; I would assume that the same would occur to magic.

My take on the issue!
I haven't thought of it quite like that before. Interesting, very interesting... Thanks for the quote, that seems like an extremely reasonable explanation, similar to what I thought might be true, but at the same time just different enough to change my views on the subject. Like always Piroska, love the posts. :D
I think the more appropriate question on the topic is why they would choose to cast any spell that is not fel? (Hihi, rhyme.)
Well, they'd use normal spells to mask their Warlockyness. Personally I go witht he stance that they can use the basic mage spells, just out of rememberance. As a mage can learn different school, he can also learn the forbidden spells...they just require more commitment and are forbidden n' such. I suppose it's an opinion thing however, since it's never really officially stated.
I'd imagine that a warlock that can and do cast normal spells have a very strong will.
In the P&P i think warlocks are just a subclass of magic user..that all the magic users (minus divine) take from the same spells list. they just get special abilities (like summoning a demon), based off the sub class. I think..Have to find my pdfs.... but , if that were the case, then it might be safe to assume roleplay wise (Not necessarily mechanic wise), the specialized things would be like summoning demons/draining/giving hp to them...and i think base mages just get metamagic feats in the rpg..so..Dunno how we might (or might not if people didnt like it) transfer this into game...

I dont think warlocks should be able to muck with arcane though..since they are twisted version of their former selves..id think they would just be able to use equally twisted arcane spells (Fel)....I dont think Ice is appropriate for a warlock.....not destructive enough..or painful enough....but fire...I think warlocks would have a good memory of their fire spells as a mage and likely warlock fire spells were based off of arcane spells.....maybe dunno

-Michael
Here's -my- question. While this ability wouldn't be used with others around who would obviously find out you're a warlock...what of the spell Ritual of Summoning. What doesn't make sense to me is, if someone can make a portal that can pull people -through- it...ICly they should be able to apply that same ability to create a portal to teleport someone or themselves. What do you think? Obviously it would be a fel-spell.