Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Gloom, despair and agony on me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well its not THAT bad but it a little frustrating. I had mentioned before that I though a blood elf would be challenging to play and with that in mind I rolled one up. I looked up it lore, its history and its views of other races. I used both the lore on this site and the article linked in other sites as well and there was some really good and in depth information.

I thought I was pretty laid out, pretty well armed.

So I go to Booty Bay where all the dots were and totally blew it by overplaying the arrogant card. Okay, lesson learned. Dial back the snobbery, be more approachable, be more inclusive. Got it.

So after a big adventure I find myself outside a bar where a dirty dirty night elf is buying drinks for everyone (including the blood elves inside) and I catch myself saying “I can't go in there, its a dirty dirty night elf. I can't drink with him.” and so I can't really drink with anyone else either.

So it seems I have two options for dealing with dirty dirty night elves.

One
Dirty dirty night elves are okay with me. I don't mind them at all, in fact I think I will find a dirty dirty night elf girlfriend who will look up searchingly into me fel green eyes as I gently heal her injuries from the many battles we fight side by side...

Two
Dirty dirty traitorous night elves, Fine! We are here together but I don't have to like it and if she happens to get cut down by some ravening monster, well that is a bit of poetic fate isn't it? How does it feel to taste the bilious current of your own misdeeds you traitorous wretch? See this, this is me smiling as the lights dim. I could heal you... but why would I do that?

Option two keeps me out of RP, but its more correct according to the lore. Option one make lots of RP for me but it doesn't seem right.

Someone is out there saying “Well just make a dirty dirty night elf and everything will be fine.” but I see it as being in the exact same position only PLAYING the dirty dirty night elf.

I don't want to step on anyone's RP. Any of you dirty dirty night elf /blood elf couples, if that is how you want to play it, you go for it. No worries.

I fear that there may not be enough population to support playing characters anywhere close to their lore and I might should have considered that before I rolled up and invested in this silly Sin'dorei.

I guess I will either have to find a balance, find some else that RP's horde more on the loreside or play something else, like a Tauren. Tauren can be nice to anyone really. They are like the big furry Switzerlands of the horde.

Feh
Tauren aren't nice to Blood Elves. They make them ill. No jokes.

Anyways, yeah, it happens. I am one of those people who has a character for every situation and swaps between them, but only when IC travel time, or where my character would be entirely isolated by an RP situation. So I have characters on every continent, usually of each faction except in Northrend where people bend if somebody is gonna' save their bum from an angry Vrykul or equally scary, and enraged, Nerubian. I rarely play my Blood Elf now, because it's awkward. Until the restart I doubt i will, because of the Sin'Sholai thing and that everyone should hate her except for the Forsaken. Who are dead, just like the Scourge who ransacked her homeland, and so they are a little...eurgh, to her.

When this problem came up, I made other characters, to make my RP flexable. And besides, it's varied too! ^^

That's my thoughts on that :D
It's no biggy unless you take it OOC with people. And yeah, Aliance x Horde relationships shouldn't relaly happen.
Actually, option 2 can bring up some fights... IC I mean. That's how you make long-time rivals. The last time my human became a rival with a Belf, he was trying to stay alive for like 2 months, 'cause she wanted his skull for collection. So, both options are possible, but option 2 is closer to the lore (and more interesting for me, 'cause I love being the practice target!). :mrgreen:
A fun note on high elves and blood elves? They get negative bonus on skill-checks related to Charisma when interacting with tauren or night elves; both of those races are able to sense the arcane energy that addict the elves. It's called a "racial animosity". How absolutely delicious!

It's also important to keep in mind that disliking an individual (or a group of individuals!) doesn't necessarily restrict roleplay. In fact, it can sometimes create opportunity for roleplay. You can play the haughty sin'dorei card in the presence of any race you dislike -- or even every race. Make snarky comments. Be rude. Interrupt them frequently. Push them out of the way. Make disparaging remarks. Sniff frequently in disdain.

And if it's an issue, don't be afraid to contact people and let them know that the attitude is strictly in character.
Actually yes I have to agree with Dastmo and Piroska here on this particular matter. One thing I will say to you is this; never, never, never ever give up your own personal values while roleplaying. Do not change your character solely based on metagaming etc. It will ruin the rest of the feel for you, I almost certainly promise you that.

I agree with Option 2 based on my own personal examples with similar situations. For example I did a lot of research on the Darkspear Tribe before I decided to play a Troll - something I had never done previously - because I really wanted to keep into the lore that I was getting ready to play into. I discovered that they were nearly all still very traditionalist in their xenophobic, superiorist, sexist, and incredibly racist values, obviously save for a few notably the newly freed women. When I began playing I was pretty surprised to see that this was the exact opposite. Now I was also faced with two options, I chose number two in that situation because it turns out that it was exactly the right choice. I created a lot of fights and opportunity for roleplay and tension even amongst my own race yet alone other races...

Of course you have to steel yourself like Piroska said.

P.S. I also don't believe that every single individual in a certain Faction has to necessarily share all the same morales and stuff.. I mean you don't exactly see that in real life either... that's just my two cents on that topic though! :P
I don't see why you have to avoid other rpers, as others mentioned you could go straight in and play up the arrogance card. You can see that blood elf and ask her "WTF are you doing with a dirty dirty night elf?!(and I am guessing a certain troll as well)."

Also I think I know which characters and scenes you were talking about. Those two are not a couple, and I doubt they ever will be.
I can see having a problem with the discrepancy of foe races interacting happily among themselves, but I can also see why some of them do it. While, obviously, some don't have a clue about lore, sometimes people -have- to like people they normally wouldn't. A lot of times, it's the only way to get some good RP in. It's not the server's fault, it's just the short number of people that tend to be on hand.

However, that's not to say you can't still be an arrogant guy and get others to follow you. You could almost as easily initiate RP through those means.
Why such focus on playing a dirty character? Not that there is anything wrong with it but...A little less of them?
Piroska Wrote:A fun note on high elves and blood elves? They get negative bonus on skill-checks related to Charisma when interacting with tauren or night elves; both of those races are able to sense the arcane energy that addict the elves. It's called a "racial animosity". How absolutely delicious!

It's also important to keep in mind that disliking an individual (or a group of individuals!) doesn't necessarily restrict roleplay. In fact, it can sometimes create opportunity for roleplay. You can play the haughty sin'dorei card in the presence of any race you dislike -- or even every race. Make snarky comments. Be rude. Interrupt them frequently. Push them out of the way. Make disparaging remarks. Sniff frequently in disdain.

And if it's an issue, don't be afraid to contact people and let them know that the attitude is strictly in character.

I hate having to repeat this but the blood elves magical addiction was cured by the Naaru and the Draenei. They restored the Sunwell for them and brought them closer to the Light. This happened in patch 2.4. http://www.wowpedia.org/Sunwell_Plateau_epilogue
http://www.wowpedia.org/Blood_elves#The_...l_Restored

Blood elves are no longer addicted to arcane magic. Unless somebody corrupts the Sunwell again. Which isn't happening anytime soon.
AM180 Wrote:
Piroska Wrote:A fun note on high elves and blood elves? They get negative bonus on skill-checks related to Charisma when interacting with tauren or night elves; both of those races are able to sense the arcane energy that addict the elves. It's called a "racial animosity". How absolutely delicious!

I hate having to repeat this but the blood elves magical addiction was cured by the Naaru and the Draenei. They restored the Sunwell for them and brought them closer to the Light. This happened in patch 2.4. http://www.wowpedia.org/Sunwell_Plateau_epilogue

Blood elves are no longer addicted to arcane magic. Unless somebody corrupts the Sunwell again. Which isn't happening anytime soon.

It wasn't "cured". They are still majorly, majorly addicted. Restoring the Sunwell just provides an easy way to feed said addiction. After -all-, the only reason they realized in the first place they were addicted was by losing the Sunwell.

Think of it this way. And yes... this is a pretty sick way to look at it.

Your neighbor has a meth lab, and suddenly, he moves. You start to become sick, and you don't know why. You find it hard to move around, and get up in the morning, and feel like your brain is going to explode. You're addicted.

Your neighbor starts it up again a week and a half later. You start to feel better, not knowing why. It doesn't mean you are no longer addicted... it means that your addiction is being fed better.

Same with Belves.
Rensin Wrote:
AM180 Wrote:

It wasn't "cured". They are still majorly, majorly addicted. Restoring the Sunwell just provides an easy way to feed said addiction. After -all-, the only reason they realized in the first place they were addicted was by losing the Sunwell.

Think of it this way. And yes... this is a pretty sick way to look at it.

Your neighbor has a meth lab, and suddenly, he moves. You start to become sick, and you don't know why. You find it hard to move around, and get up in the morning, and feel like your brain is going to explode. You're addicted.

Your neighbor starts it up again a week and a half later. You start to feel better, not knowing why. It doesn't mean you are no longer addicted... it means that your addiction is being fed better.

Same with Belves.

I'm pretty sure if my neighbor had a meth lab, the only way I'd get addicted is if he put it in my water supply or I started using meth. Also he'd probably be one of the worst drug dealers in history if his neighbors knew he had a meth lab, and we've had some pretty dumb ones around where I live.

Anyway, yeah so they are still addicted but they have a supply of magic for them now. So it's illogical to play a blood elf who wants to suck everything dry of magic.
Meth lab fumes go everywhere. My mate used to run one in his bath 0.0 you'd get addicted because he'd have to ventilate the toxic fumes to fresh air, and they'll spread to your house. I'm entirely confident in the fact that you'd in some way become dependant on the fumes.

BUT. Doesn't mean that, because your addiction is currently sated, you don't want MORE. The addictions of the Warlocks and Mages of the more powerful Blood Elf Magi would be more severe, because they are generally twisted by the power they COULD possess, as many magic users become. The meth lab may sate you by it's existance, but you may want some of the meths themselves.

P.S.: good similie there Rensin!