Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Things to help you run WoW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
WoW not running correctly?

I'm gonna give you some tips that will make your WoW Run better, ... maybe.

At least it worked to me.

I will attempt to free some RAM so your computer will run better; and here's how. We kill the unneeded processes. Don't worry, I've tested them.

Anyhow, here's the list of processes your computer needs to run itself.
[attachment=0]

Everything else, including the Explorer can be stopped! ... Though, you might not want to stop your firewall from running.

This list can be seen from CTRL + ALT + DELETE -> Processes.

I think, it's not in English for me, so it's the second tab.

Stopping explorer

Now, if you stop running explorer, your whole screen will basically turn blank, or just show you the background image of your computer. No worries, you'll still be able to control everything from the Task Manager. There's two ways of running programs during this; you can start it up before you close explorer, or you can start it up after you close it.

Now, the first way. The one that's easier. Just run WoW, take out Explorer, and then left click the WoW.exe in the task manager, and select the second option (Bring up, or something like that.)

The second way to play without Explorer on taking the RAM, is that you open it from Task Manager. How? You click on "New Task", and "Browse", and find your WoW.

Well, I haven't found any other ways to increase your performance, but I will surely inform you people if I do. Also, the graphic option that generally lags most, is Shadows. So, if you put them on none, you might be able to see some better graphics.
Hmmm...

You probably won't be able to see this, but it reminds me of this thread. I heard it's a bad idea to mess around with your registry like that, I also heard that it's not as effective for new computers.

I won't say it's bad to do, but I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to do it unless they absolutely knew what it was they were doing.
I think it's safe to say that this only applies to people running Windows (And let's face it, if you're running anything other than Vista, you WON'T need to disable processes)

I am running Linux Ubuntu right now, and that seems to work fine with WoW... Then again, I know what I'm doing. (Only using 600 or so MB or RAM out of 2GB, and that's with Firefox and my IM client running as well.)

A note regarding closing down processes in Task Manager - The worst that can happen is your computer Bluescreening... And a simple restart can fix that right up. If you ARE scared of doing so, run a virtual copy of Windows, and experiment with the processes! If you find a way to increase speed without effing your system up hardcore, then attempt that on your system. Like I said, the worst that can happen is a Bluescreen, easily solvable by a restart.

Although, registry editing should only be performed by people whose Windows knowledge is worth it's weight in gold. I've done it before, in the past, but I had read and studied into it extensively.

My advice: Only do stuff you know about. If in doubt, consult MANY websites. Not Microsoft.com though, unless it's a very simple problem. Microsoft.com actually failed to tell me that Windows XP has native issues with WPA2 keys.
... This is not registry editing, these are programs that open every time you open your computer.

First of all, it doesn't let you close any wrong stuff. It denies it. Second of all, if something goes wrong, you can just re-boot your computer.
So.. Helmeri..
Nyohohohhohohohoh, ohohohoh, hohoh!
Not too much of a surprise that your character is called Helmer, then..

Er, yes.
One could always use Game Booster too. It closes down "useless" applications, so your computer runs smoother.
But it should only be used for gaming..
Wolohoo Wrote:So.. Helmeri..
Nyohohohhohohohoh, ohohohoh, hohoh!
Not too much of a surprise that your character is called Helmer, then..

Er, yes.
One could always use Game Booster too. It closes down "useless" applications, so your computer runs smoother.
But it should only be used for gaming..

... damn. You are quite the playa, you should come play chess with me sometimes. For real. I like chess.
A number of my fellow guildmates on retail were having problems with chain disconnects while playing the game, whether they were raiding or just sitting around in a major city. One of our officers provided us with a link to an ElitistJerk thread called "Fixing Your Chain Disconnecting".

A lot of us have had immense success in applying some of these tips. Even if we weren't disconnecting before, these suggestions can help reclaim some FPS. It includes:
  • Removing or changing the functionality of so-called "spammy" addons like Recount and DoTimer
  • Very basic registry hacking (which most of chose not to do)
  • Making simple changes to the data reported in the combatlog
  • Basic hardware tweaks that can improve gameplay

I've spoken with people who have seen marked improvement in their gameplay once that applied a handful of these tips. Most of these won't apply to our players (unless they're like me and play both retail in addition to on Conquest of the Horde), but knowledge is always very beneficial!