Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Lore weapons - IC / OOC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Earlier on Barrenschat we discussed whether lore weapons should or should not be in the hands of players. There seemed to be a mixture of confusion at first, which ended in a fiery argument in who was right and wrong. Good arguments came from both sides, and then a suggestion was thrown in to post it here for all to see. So Voila:

The weapon in question was [Havoc's Call, Blade of Lordearon Kings] a weapon at that point, IC-wise used. (And if it wasn't a unique weapon, it would have been dual-wielded by a troll.)

I found a bit regarding Lore weapons on the CotH Wiki

Spoiler:
Quote:What do each of the tokens do, exactly?

Silver Tokens allow any existing item on Live to be summoned into your inventory. For example, if you wanted me to pull Deathcharger's Reins out of my hat and give it to you, you'd need a Silver Token. Legendary items (with their names in orange) like the Ashbringer will not be summoned. This is mainly due to the fact that we don't want people to include such heavily lore-based weapons in their roleplay, unless given express permission.

While it claims they are given with express permission, does not the fact remains that Lore weapons should -only- be used by Lore characters?

Discuss, GM's input -very- appreciated.

- Edited link to a site with a screenshot.
IMHO, I think they should be allowed. Just because they are wielding a lore weapon, doesnt make them lore. On the other hand, I can see how it would conflict with roleplay.

Also, people dont really take into effect the name of weapons.. so just throwing random questions here, But what if someone had the eapon, but just used it as a normal weapon, and not as a lore weapon.
Here's the problem, if you're say, an orc, and you're using a weapon that has all this Scourge, enchanted, glow, death stuff all over it, sure it looks cool, of course it's not the actual lore item, but how would your character get a weapon that looks like that ICly?
Have it custom forged, and enchant it. It would cost some money though.
First things first, is that there needs to be a solid definition of what exactly a Lore weapon is. Many people would say Legendary's are and I would agree with this. These weapons either A: are extremely hard to obtain or B: are already wielded by thier rightful lore characters.

Second,
My personal opinion on this is just like most things, I.E. mounts which was also a rather heated debate in Barrens, If you have a good story and a good reason to have it, why not? I.E. My paladin is Gilnean, but did reside in Lordaeron after the Greymane Wall was made and closed, so therefore, him wielding the shield [item]Royal Crest of Lordaeron[/item] would not be a stretch considering this item is NOT wielded by any lore characters and is easily obtainable through the Caverns of Time. Something such as [item]Quel'Delar, Cunning of the Shadows[/item] though, with a rather immense storyline behind it I would venture to say no, because one, there was only one of these blades if I do recall in existence. The same would go for the [item]Warglaive of Azzinoth[/item] for all of our demon hunter wannabe's. Though yes, Illidan is dead, it would be very controversial to see a bunch of people with them and all claiming they killed Illidan for the same ONE set of warglaives.
The Warglaives of Azzinoth are legendary.
Yeah, it was fixed. I could've swore they were only Epic as I had only seen them maybe...twice I think on my server at the time.
People seem to forget the realism and physics behind these things. Most of the lore weapons or legendary weapons (Note, MOST, not all) are impossible to be even wielded, let stand wielded with efficiency. Your character would simply not possess the strength to wield it, let alone swing it? Despite having a good IC reason for it, how could you even walk around with a weapon that's twice the size as your head?

My personal opinion of the view, after having read the replies is just a blatant no. Realism wise it's half of the time not possible, and physically it's 3/4th of the time with the weapons I've seen. Mounts are a way other topic though, the idea of this thread is to discuss the weapons used.
If that's the case, then no offense to you gnome warriors or death knights, but we're taking your two handed weapons away because there's no way your gonna be able to wield them and pick them up. I say this cause seriously it doesn't matter what weapon a gnome wields...it's twice as big as them.
Dear, swords are longer, not bigger then your head. A good balanced sword is different then a gigantic axe naturally. I have not seen the weapons gnome wield, but heh. It's about lore weapons here, and I'm trying to get a friendly discussion going regarding that. I do believe a topic regarding oversized weapons in general / per race should be in a new thread. I have a main focus on lore weapons here because we could use some clear view on it.
That section of the Wiki DOES say that lore weapons can be given out with express permission, but nobody has ever had one, and I seriously doubt anyone has ever even asked, at least since I've been here.

As for the non-legendaries that just look extremely unrealistic... I stay away from those (for RP purposes anyway) as well. There are some weapons that nobody could use effectively. *cough* [item]40497[/item] *cough*

Daginae, your point about Gnomes doesn't really make sense since the weapon models are scaled based on your race/gender to be an appropriate size.
Not really. Two handed weapons look insanely big. Even being scaled, they're still huge. Anyways...
The bottom line is that you can't get a lore weapon unless there was a giant GM sponsered event, and you got the kill, and took the weapon. Which I don't see happening, and as Aruen stated you probally wouldn't even know how to use such a powerful weapon. Unless you get like a recreation of the weapon I don't see anyone having a lore weapon at all, and you would probally need a GM's okay on that.
Also! Saying something is a lore weapon because of it's name is ridiculous... Havoc's call? What important lore character wielded that? No important lore character wieled it! The name only suggests that Lordearon kings wielded it, but it's only a name that Blizzard made up to make it sound epic..
Thank you for an awesome explanation! I totally agree with this. If a Lore character didn't wield it, then good to go. Though, I do have to say, something like Quel'Delar really should be somewhat restricted as it WAS wielded by a lore character and shattered into a bunch of pieces, much like [item]Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian[/item]
NeighborOfTheBeast Wrote:The bottom line is that you can't get a lore weapon unless there was a giant GM sponsered event, and you got the kill, and took the weapon. Which I don't see happening, and as Aruen stated you probally wouldn't even know how to use such a powerful weapon. Unless you get like a recreation of the weapon I don't see anyone having a lore weapon at all, and you would probally need a GM's okay on that.
Also! Saying something is a lore weapon because of it's name is ridiculous... Havoc's call? What important lore character wielded that? No important lore character wieled it! The name only suggests that Lordearon kings wielded it, but it's only a name that Blizzard made up to make it sound epic..

Fair enough regarding the name, but it does imply that it is supposed to be, or rather was wielded by Lordaeron kings at some point. Which makes it a rather mary-sueish weapon (in my opinion), because how would your character have gotten possession of a ancient and once held by a lore figure axe? Possibly still wielded for other legendary/lore weapons.

Edit: Typo.
Pages: 1 2 3