Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Cinematic Character Profiles.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: testgg.jpg]

Greetings CotH!
My name is Rikhard, and I am here to talk to you about the benefits of modern ages. Cinematic video, or as we most commonly refer to, Movies. In this particular case, I would like to take the opportunity at hand to explore exactly what I have in mind, to this amazing, most graceful community.

Using the powers of science and magic, we can combine both the incredible stories from players, with bi dimensional moving pictures, resulting in an animation of epic proportions. Here Is what I suggest:

I know that some of you will say that this will not work, as It takes too much work. It is too complicated. It is too.. Something-something. But think about it as I do. With projects like these, we would not only cooperate with the members in the community, resulting in an interaction between players, but we would also, somehow, advertise the brilliance of this server.

[left][Image: test3pm.jpg][/left]

Advantages and disadvantages of making animated profiles, also known as cinematic profiles.

Well, I think we can all agree that making these slices of heaven takes more than just picking a main character, a background, and pasting them both on a video clip. No no, you see, creating a masterpiece begins with cooperation. The essence of success lies in teamwork. As such, I believe that by doing these movies we would all benefit from the interaction. How exactly would we interact? Well there are plenty of things players could help out with. For one, any player can take initiative and ask others for help. Players can collaborate in voice acting, model recreation, and even with technical issues.

After a movie is done, and if the creator in question is interested in posting it on a video streaming service, such as youtube, then this could interest other roleplayers into coming and explore this gracious community.
However, do not see this as an act of publicity, as It depends as to whether or not the creator wants to post it or not.

But what about the disadvantages? What can go wrong in all of this?
Well, even though things might look appealing and interesting when they're finished, they can take up a lot of your time during it's making. It is completely up to you If you want to make it, but be aware that It can take some time to get it just as you want it to be. Another issue is that certain members are indispensable throughout the making, so If a voice acting member doesn't show up, It can lead up to a delay.

[Image: test2qo.jpg]
I would like to know what you think about this idea, and whether or not It would actually work.
If some of the feedback is positive, then I would gladly expand the thread.. But for now, feedback please.
PS: I took my time to make the images, so be kind.
They would indeed be awesome, but they are also incredibly time consuming.

I wouldn't oppose anyone making them, but I'm certainly not going to edit them together. I'd help with most anything else, though.
I've wanted to try and make a good machinima, sort of like Pelicula's "Blind" video. Problem is, actually being able to run the software needed, and having the time to animate something like that. I don't think I can do either thing.

But I've often thought about making CoTH related machinima, in regards to overall stretching events. Perhaps someone else would love to take up the mantle... buuuut. It's gonna take a lot of time and work!
This idea actually sounds pretty amazing. If I could help out in any way let me know.
Rensin Wrote:I've wanted to try and make a good machinima, sort of like Pelicula's "Blind" video. Problem is, actually being able to run the software needed, and having the time to animate something like that. I don't think I can do either thing.

But I've often thought about making CoTH related machinima, in regards to overall stretching events. Perhaps someone else would love to take up the mantle... buuuut. It's gonna take a lot of time and work!
Well, it WILL take a lot of time, I can tell you that. It's taken me about 1 hour overall to even add a custom skeleton and a few other things to a model of an Orc, and that's in Blender.

I think that if you "legally" aquired some video editing software, such as, I dunno... That Sony thingy. Forgot what it's called. Regardless, all you need is the map visuals, some custom bonesets and animations, and you'll be golden. But yeah, it WILL take a crapload of time. Not hard, but time consuming.

But yeah, I'm gonna try my hand at making a machinima based on Amon Amarth's Cry Of The Blackbirds. Gonna be war and everythin'. If I can get that done, then I should be able to help with these "Cinematic Character Profiles".
I would really love to help! But no Fraps, or editing programs. The only video camera I have is outside the inside of my computer >.>

However, I could bake us all rice krispie treats? I dunno, trying here. :P
As everyone else said: It's going to take a while, it's going to be totally awesome. The work will be tremendous, but the payoff will be monumental. It might even help CotH.
I will give any assistance I can to this project.
Machinima profiles would be cool, but I think if any character machinima were to be made, character advancing movies would be the best. Like if you were to make a character's personal journal thread and have a bit of narrative with clips of the actions taken in the post.
We could make an animation with clips of all the 'main' characters on CotH. That is, the characters who are very well known. And have them doing something they would do with custom animations and what-not.

For an example: Rensin beating the carp (Yes, the fish) out of people in the Arena. (While alive, that is.)

Just my two cents.

Also, very nice pictures you made there ^.^
I tried some animating before that wasn't my typical flash tweens, and I have to say it was time consuming. Just trying to animate a turn-around frame by frame took hours, and it wasn't even all that smooth in the end.

I always have something in mind but never actually get to it. I think you could do effective animations or visuals that are simple but bring in people's interests(like order of the stick).

Now that I think of it, comic strips might be doable. Still time consuming but not as much as animations are.
Wuvvums Wrote:I tried some animating before that wasn't my typical flash tweens, and I have to say it was time consuming. Just trying to animate a turn-around frame by frame took hours, and it wasn't even all that smooth in the end.

I always have something in mind but never actually get to it. I think you could do effective animations or visuals that are simple but bring in people's interests(like order of the stick).

Now that I think of it, comic strips might be doable. Still time consuming but not as much as animations are.

I would so help with a comic! My art skills are getting better!

That is, once I either get a new scanner or fix mine..
This is why I like modelviewer manipulations so much. It's not as time consuming as machinima, but you can get amazing results from it if you toy with the screenshots enough. It at least makes for pretty nice graphics in posts and wiki articles.

Some pretty smexy examples are Laethius - Makon by AvannTeth and Technologic by Dekret. These two (as well as a few others) have some tutorials on Youtube that show how they go through their processes, as well.
Pies Wrote:
Rensin Wrote:But yeah, I'm gonna try my hand at making a machinima based on Amon Amarth's Cry Of The Blackbirds. Gonna be war and everythin'. If I can get that done, then I should be able to help with these "Cinematic Character Profiles".

Raise your swords up high!
See the blackbirds fly
Let them hear your rage
Show no fear, attack!

Anyways >.> I think "With Odin on our Side" would be better for a WoW battle.. Make it an epic battle between a small group of dwarven warriors taking on a larger force of orcs. :D (Odin sounds close enough to Woden, the titan :D)
I am most pleased to see that there are so many people interested! Great!
Moving on, remember that there is more to the creation than just manipulation. Perhaps the second most important thing is the voice acting. Remember, If you're interested but can't afford to waste time on making a video, help someone out by giving them some voice acting.

Personally, I am -always- free. Well, except when I go to the b-- anyway.
I am free to help anyone that needs help with making the movie. I can film and render, and, even though I suck at it, voice acting. So If you need someone to pull the story into images and create a movie out of it, I don't mind helping at all.

On a side note, I will update the first post with some more information as how it works. The filming and rendering processes that is.