Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Our Keyboarding Rule and You
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes, we do have a rule about proper typing. This includes proper capitalization, grammar, spelling, etc.

From the Wiki:
Quote:All players on this server should have a high degree of competence in typing. This is a roleplay-centric server, and as such we need to have high standards of personal expression. Capitalization, punctuation, and spelling all count. Nobody's perfect, but everyone is capable of improving. Emoticons are not an acceptable substitute for a well-posed emote. Please try to type out words, such as "you" rather than "u" and "thanks" rather than "thx". You are expected to use proper spelling and grammar in the official OOC channels (/Chat and /LookingForGroup) as much as possible. If you are asked to stop abusing the language more than once, you will be kicked and directed to this rule.

With Summer comes a tide of people that, quite frankly, are not a good fit for the server. Most of them will drop off within a week or so of being here as they also realize this isn't an ideal server for them, but some others stick around. I don't wish to put it like this, but since the summer started, I've been seeing more and more text in the public channels (including /say) that have made my eyes bleed. This has happened every summer since the server was originally made public (so, this will be the third summer), and I believe it's already time this year that we crack down on the rule.

Therefore, I will undoubtedly be issuing a directive for GMs to be a bit more strict with enforcing Rule #6, the aforementioned Keyboarding skills rule. This is a rule that every single one of you here has confirmed to abide by, and yet many of you do not. I will not accept any complaints, hearing about how it's unfair, etc. By being here and creating a server account, you agreed to accept and abide by it. This is even worse when I've seen people making no effort to capitalize anything in-character. Unacceptable.

Some people I realize will have legitimate excuses. Notably, those that are foreign or have medical reasons. However, these are usually rare. And usually I have seen these people try -harder- than those whom are native English speakers. At any rate, this is one of the reasons we ask what country a person is from as well as their primary language. So, please - if you primarily speak English, put some effort into your typing. It'll make many people happy. If you aren't a native English-speaker, please feel free to ask for assistance as far as capitalization conventions.
Great to see we're still enforcing good grammar and typing. Punctuation is key.
I fear summer for this reason. And the heat. Cheers to you mate.
My eyes bled the other day as well... it was... scary...
Thank you!

Unfortunately, it's gotten to where people ignore a player's attempt to help with this. If you don't have a shiny awesome GM name, what you say has no affect on them. But this post created much happiness in my heart.
However anal-retentive this might sound, I really wish people would use the same basic rules of punctuation and capitalization in all the chat channels as well. Just because it's Barrenschat doesn't necessarily mean that "lol u took him 2 da bar?" should be seen as an acceptable way to formulate any sentence whatsoever. And although I love using emoticons when chatting with friends, seeing ":P :D XD" two or three times in a single sentence almost makes me woozy and light-headed. There might just be such a thing as being "too emotive". The same goes for words like LOL, ROFL or even WIN and EPIC. The first two are cringeworthy as they basically say "I'm couldn't be bothered to type a significant response", while the last two have completely lost their meaning from massive overuse and ends up sounding like mindless 4chan babble.
...I can appreciate this rule.

Seriously though, I voice the same complaint that Hown does. New people don't give a rats ass what you say unless you have that shiny GM tag. Thank god they're cracking down on it.

Do we have permission to inform a GM of a particuarly...bad case? Like say we're RPing with someone, ask them to use propper grammar, and they go 'lol's jus a gam', can we inform a GM
Xigo Wrote:Do we have permission to inform a GM of a particuarly...bad case? Like say we're RPing with someone, ask them to use propper grammar, and they go 'lol's jus a gam', can we inform a GM
Yes, definitely.

waffenbaum Wrote:However anal-retentive this might sound, I really wish people would use the same basic rules of punctuation and capitalization in all the chat channels as well. Just because it's Barrenschat doesn't necessarily mean that "lol u took him 2 da bar?" should be seen as an acceptable way to formulate any sentence whatsoever.
This rule applies to any public chat channel. It's just doubly-annoying when people are typing like that ICly - it doesn't mean it's somewhat acceptable OOCly.
I believe the recent deterioration of typing skills lies in the fact that we're now less strict about people who're coming onto this server. And naturally, that opens the door for people who would otherwise be rejected in the old way of handling things.

However, that's not what the thread's about, but rather to inform new people that this rule -does- exist. And as it's real as any other rule, it is severe to break. I can understand some new people that haven't really been able to read everything (although they should've done so, it can be confusing to come to a server with so many threads, so many stickies, so much to read when it's so easy to just hop onto the server, and 'deal with that later'), and I could personally accept that they are just lost and could be given another chance to improve their writing if they seem sincere and have potential for personal growth. However, since we cannot distinguish them from the crowd that just doesn't care enough, everyone is put under the hammer, so to speak. Which perhaps could be bad, but it is the way things are handled, and have been handled for 3 years.

So, keep that in mind newbies -- The Rules: Here to be Followed!
Kretol Wrote:This rule applies to any public chat channel. It's just doubly-annoying when people are typing like that ICly - it doesn't mean it's somewhat acceptable OOCly.

I've seen people like "I dun care, dis ooc."
Kretol Wrote:
Xigo Wrote:Do we have permission to inform a GM of a particuarly...bad case? Like say we're RPing with someone, ask them to use propper grammar, and they go 'lol's jus a gam', can we inform a GM
Yes, definitely.

waffenbaum Wrote:However anal-retentive this might sound, I really wish people would use the same basic rules of punctuation and capitalization in all the chat channels as well. Just because it's Barrenschat doesn't necessarily mean that "lol u took him 2 da bar?" should be seen as an acceptable way to formulate any sentence whatsoever.
This rule applies to any public chat channel. It's just doubly-annoying when people are typing like that ICly - it doesn't mean it's somewhat acceptable OOCly.

Can honestly say I forgot about that bit, I always took Barrenschat as a channel where it simply did not matter for a change. Seeing people writing in all caps go there, link items, I took the room for not caring much about writing properly as well at times, same for WSG.. Or on the topic of neat writing, Warsong Gulch. *Nods* With that, I'm sure I am far from the only one, people just want to spam gibberish once in a while.

Either way, not sure what I'm rambling about any more, guess I'm just asking to not insta-kick people for a random fun bit, after all, Barrenschat is the channel for (I quote) "Chuck Norris/LOL Cat/1337 speak needs". I'm sure you guys will be fair about it though, just felt like grabbing a pointy stick and point out what Barrenschat is described as. :)
Aside from being from a different country or having a handicap, there really is no good excuse not to use good grammar. I don't see how it saves any time to not capitalize, punctuate, etc. If you're a good typist, which most people these days are, you can churn out ~70 words per minute and as far as I know, hitting the shift key with a pinkie finger doesn't detract from that at all.
Kiffles Wrote:Aside from being from a different country or having a handicap, there really is no good excuse not to use good grammar. I don't see how it saves any time to not capitalize, punctuate, etc. If you're a good typist, which most people these days are, you can churn out ~70 words per minute and as far as I know, hitting the shift key with a pinkie finger doesn't detract from that at all.

It actually takes longer for me to 1337speak than to type like an intelligent human being. Strange.
You know, it's hard at first to get a decent idea of how grammar works, but in the end, it usually catches on to you. English is my..what, fourth language? Ever since I started RP, I've gotten to the point where it was a lot like a pet peeve. If I don't capitalize an ' I ' in a sentence then I may as well delete it all and start all over.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you do it right for a while, it comes naturally to you from then on. Friends even make fun of me because I use proper grammar in texts 'n stuff. Good thing I have a side-kick. Ha!

P.S: If you don't know how a word is spelled, just ask. It'll help you out, and it would show others that you're trying to improve your keyboard skills.
Thank goodness we're cracking down on this.

I can understand misspelling and typos from those who are foreign to the English language as such, but some people just don't try. And those are the bad apples that we need to pick out of the pie.

I admit to using a lot of nonsensical grammar in more private settings for fun, like "I r the awesome!" and using Lol in nearly every sentence in the appropriate settings, but it's coming from everywhere now, as far as I've heard. ( Yeah, hard habit to break. ;/ )
Quick question. Lets say your in the middle of a sentence and all of the sudden you realize you don't know how to spell something like, Barracks (Incredibly difficult, I mean really how is there no x in there?!).

What should you do?

Delete the sentence and ask for help? (Takes more time and slightly detracts from the flow.)

Minimize and check Google? (People think your AFK if you take too long.)

Or do you just spell it the best you can and hope that no eye bleeding occurs? (You misspelled a word.)

Which would be the best course of action?
Pages: 1 2