Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: The [Warden] prestige class.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This isn't about me being one, or anything, I'm just wondering a few things.

What are your opinions on the class, do you think it should be open to players?

If you do, what requirements would you force the player to go through to make one?

I got bored, and made a Warden model on WoW model viewer, Here's a screenie :D You guys have any ideal armor sets for this?

The fists, are because on here, obviously Warriors can learn fist weapons :3

[Image: Warden2.png]
[Image: Warden1.png]
A warden would certainly be an interesting class, although they would have to have a motive for being one, such as keeping a dangerous individual (an evil player, maybe?) from harming him/herself and others, or tracking down said individual.
I think it should be open to players. And frankly, there isn't one form of training that will apply to all characters. There should be specific standards (of course), but there need to be varied ways of getting there.

I'm not a very helpful person, methinks.
You're as helpful as anyone, nobody knows what it takes.
I was just wondering, since the Wiki page for it is empty, we as a community could think up a good scenario for players to use the class! :]
That's a pretty neat armor set...

As for requirements, basing it off WC3, I'd -maybe- limit it to Night Elf warriors/rogues/hunters.

But when it comes to what they'd get as a result of being one, I can't say, hehe. But you can always make a nice template like Nostra suggested here.

An example of what I mean:

Spoiler:
Nostra Wrote:
Dark Apothecary

Requirements:
Forsaken only, all classes. Must already be a practiced Alchemist.

What is a Dark Apothecary?
The Royal Apothecary Society employs many Forsaken who have a great and consuming interest in alchemical methods. The most deranged of these become Dark Apothecaries. A Dark Apothecary is often an alchemist of the R.A.S., helping the Apothecarium develop and test its many new plagues and horrifying poisons. Their methodical scientific minds will move inexorably forward in the service of their goals without thought to morality or danger. With a tolerance built up from a great deal of exposure and decomposing flesh, the Dark Apothecaries become immune to many poisons and at least resistant to some acids. Indeed, these scientists are a fearsome weapon.

Who likes them?
-Forsaken society highly values its alchemists. The Royal Apothecary Society holds positions of status for Dark Apothecaries, and a moderate amount of command is gained by becoming one, especially in the later stages of training.

Who doesn't?
-Anyone who likes nature (I.E. Tauren, Night Elves, Orcs.) will hate the Dark Apothecaries.
-Living creatures are fearful and distrust the bringers of vile plagues... For good reason.

Strengths:
-Highly intelligent, and excellent poison-makers.
-Able to invent own brews if they have enough reagents.
-If trained within the Royal Apothecaries, there is an amount of value and status gained within Forsaken society.

Weaknesses:
-Often physically frail in melee combat.
-Many eschew their healing talents completely, and have little skill in making beneficial potions (For the living at least).
-Looked down on by many in living Horde society, mainly for their terrifying nature.

Skills and Benefits:
Here are a few skills and/or benefits you can expect to gain from the class, and how long it takes to learn or accomplish each goal. If you have something to add, please mention it to a GM for it to be added. You can do more than one at a time, and some will cause others to be given for free, but it should take you around 2 months or so to get a sort of mastery of the class, maybe longer. Remember that all these times aren't set in stone, but they represent a ballpark estimate that tries to take in account the importance of what's gained IC'ly, and the fact that you probably don't want to spend a year OOC'ly doing these things.

-Focus on one kind of alchemical creation, that kind has increased ability and potency (1 week). Most Forsaken will probably choose a harmful specialty, and the class is focused on harmful effects generally, but don't let that stop you from having your Dark Apothecary specialize in, for example, beneficial potions like healing, protection, or another sort if you want to.

-Increased resistance to poison (1-2 Weeks). Forsaken are already immune to a lot, but this will make you better. As well, the longer you work with poisons and try to become resistant to them, the more toxins accumulate in your body. The end result is that, after a month or two of training in this class, your character's bodily fluids become caustic and poisonous.

-The ability to make an "Unstable Concoction" out of any reagents on your person (1-2 weeks). This is a potion with a number of random effects that have a chance of happening once the contents are exposed to an object. The number of effects should be about 4-6 (That is, 1 four or six-sided die to roll. Makes it easier.) and include one null effect (Does nothing), one detrimental effect (Damages somehow, or maybe makes an oil slick or something), and one beneficial effect (Heals what it touches, or perhaps protects against acids.). You'll /roll [Number] to determine what happens after you do your action. Any other effects you can choose yourself, but note them down when you discover the potion.

-Royal Apothecary Society membership (1 month) This will allow you to have a few non-player lackeys to order around; people useful for menial gathering tasks and research while you're doing other things. Your service to the Apothecary Society is determined by your whims for the character. If you do one additional month of service to the Royal Society you'll be able to order around a player military members or player Apothecaries within reason, though this extends to Forsaken only.

-A set of personal tools (2 Weeks, or a great deal of in-character money), or a personal workshop with tools. (1 month and a lot of in-character money, or Royal Apothecary membership.) These won't exist in the gameworld unless you pretend they do, but they definitely help you out when you're making things. They're customized for what you work with, and probably can't be replaced easily.

-Custom Potion (2+ months). This is your crowning achievement, if you even succeed in making it. It will do whatever you want it to, within reason (I.E. A kill-anything disease will not work, but a poison that causes someone to Blight from the inside out is do-able).

You'd just have to work closely with the GM staff to get it all worked out. ^^
Nexi Wrote:That's a pretty neat armor set...

As for requirements, basing it off WC3, I'd -maybe- limit it to Night Elf warriors/rogues/hunters.
Actually, in World of Warcraft there are many Warden NPCs from different races. The night elf Wardens just happen to be the most famous. I agree with you on classes, but I think every race should be able to become a Warden.
As for Race requirements.
Well, I'd say Dranei and Night Elves, for the alliance. Humans, and Dwarf's if they have enough Nature knowledge.

And Orcs and maybe Taurens/Trolls. Orcs are a shamanistic group, Taurens live off the land, and Trolls are the most fringe.

So almost every Race, minus Gnomes and Undead, and Blood Elves (They rely more on magic than they do Martial or Nature skills)

I'll look at that Template, and give a shot at putting one together, and post it here for you all to look over ^^
I would do Tauren, Night Elf and MAYBE Blood Elves, along with the only class being hunter. The reason so:
Night Elves and Tauren have a long history together, thus they would pick up a few things from each other. I'm pretty sure Night Elves were the first to be Wardens, so Tauren would be with them. And, of course, Blood Elves maybe would have remembered and kept the class through all those years.
It is available for players to apply as, nubs!
Anski Wrote:It is available for players to apply as, nubs!
It would help if it actually had a page on the wiki, though. :<
My only concern is the potential for abuse. Wardens -- regardless of race -- have a tradition of enforcing the law. While I have not seen an issue regarding this in the five months that I have been a member of Conquest of the Horde, I have read and heard of problems that have occurred when people took it upon themselves to enforce the law. I would be a little worried that in seeking to properly roleplay the class people would revert to maintaining law in cities and towns.

I'm more comfortable with the idea of kal'dorei wardens because they are not just law enforcement; they also have a history of being bounty hunters and assassins while upholding the law. However, their current focus is on maintaining peace in night elven lands.

In other cultures, the term warden probably refers to a type of jailer and isn't synonymous with the kal'dorei definition. This is why you see individuals like Warden Mallicher in the Arcatraz (which is a naaru jail!) and Warden Alturas of the Violet Hold (another jail, but this time in Dalaran). So while we see many wardens in the game, they definitely do not have the tradition that is present in night elven society and definitely wouldn't possess the same powers, abilities, and training.

I do, however, see potential for pretty much any race acquiring the class given a solid lore-based reason and research. Then again, I can usually come up with an example of how anything can exist in the Warcraft universe!

Edit: Bah, forgot to include my little spiel about how I'm expressing my opinion as a player and how it does not necessarily reflect the consensus to which the staff may arrive!
Ryx Wrote:You're as helpful as anyone, nobody knows what it takes.
I was just wondering, since the Wiki page for it is empty, we as a community could think up a good scenario for players to use the class! :]

The Wiki Page will be filled in time. I am only mortal, after all. As for abilities, that''s up to the GMs to decide, not me. As for it being open, I believe it is. I actually had a prestige for the Warden for some time, but the character has long been deceased and blah blah blah boring talk from the 'good old days'.

Again, I am not a GM, so don't take anything I say as fact. Except the wiki page part. That part is true. >_>
Red Wrote:
Anski Wrote:It is available for players to apply as, nubs!
It would help if it actually had a page on the wiki, though. :<

It may not have a page on the wiki but it's listed in the Prestige Title Application list, down near the bottom.
We knew it was there, but without requirements/steps to become one.

Kudos to Notra for the template :]

Here's a "page"(?) I made up using mostly WoWwiki.

Spoiler:
Warden

Requirements:
Classes: Warrior/Rogue/Hunter
Races: (Alliance): Night Elf, Draenei, Dwarf/Human (Rarely)
(Horde): Orc, Tauren, Troll.

What is a Warden?

-Quoted from WoWwiki:
"Wardens serve as a kind of law enforcement for several races in Azeroth. They keep members of their race in line, or are employed as guards, assassins, and bounty hunters."
Called the "Policeforce of Kalimdor", but are not confined to Kalimdor.
Usually are assigned to a town, or region.

Who likes them?

- Being solitary, and keeping to either uncivilized areas, or themselves in general, not many even know of the "Warden's" existence. A Warden's own race would be most accepting of the brutal methods used by the Wardens. Other races would depend on their personal values, and current employment. (I.E. Jailers/Military officials would approve more than a Priest.)

Who doesn't?

-Mainly anyone involved in crime, religions (aside from the worship of Elune), or some Governments.
-Demons and Fel-sworn, which tend to be hunted by Warden's in the interest of their people or assigned Region.

Strengths:

-High abilities in Melee situations.
-Shadow Abilities like those of the Rogue, with a heavy Arsenal like that of a Warrior.
-Use of the Spirit of Justice..

Weaknesses:

-Often unsocial, only talking to other impeding on their missions or lands.
-Untrusted or disliked by many, leaving them even more alone than a simple hermit.
-No self benefit skills, only spells would be in combat, or raising the fallen for combat.

Passive Skills:

Increases in: Strength, Stamina, Melee haste and Damage.

Usable skills:

Blink: A Line of Sight skill, transporting the caster a short distance using shadow magic. (May be boosted when used in shadows?)

Fan of Knives: The Warden throws a knife or other thrown object, while simultaneously splitting it into hundreds on

fragments for an Area of Effect move. (Quoted from WoWwiki: "A warden can unleash an arsenal of blades and knives upon the unsuspecting. The warden can magically split a thrown knife to let loose a cascade of cutting terror upon her quarry")

Shadow Strike: The Warden steps through the shadows to appear behind an enemy target and strike for heavy damage. (Unblockable? Taken from Maiev Shadowsong.)

Vengeance: Summons an Avatar of Vengeance to fight along-side the Warden. (When a humanoid is slain by the Avatar, a Spirit of vengeance is formed to fight alongside the Warden as well.)((Not sure if this would be possible in-game))

Non-Night Elf Wardens would receive a lesser invisibility skill, like the Night Elves' Shadowmeld.

Training:

With GM permission the first few Wardens of the server would train from the Warden NPC's: Saria Nightwatcher (Night Elf), Warden Thelwater (Human/Dwarf), Tree Warder Chawn (Tauren), Nork Bloodfrenzy (Orc).

Rituals

The first portion of a Warden's training would take place in the region of their Mentor (with no purposeful IC contact wandering adventurers are okay). It will be mainly learning the laws of the class, and laws of the lands. At the end of this portion, (let's say a week OOC?) the Initiate will be given an exam, over the Laws and methods used by a Warden. If passed, the Initiate will move on, if failed the Initiate will be sent home, not allowed to try again for a good amount of time (tba).

After passing the first trial, the Warden will then move on to perfecting their melee and martial skills, on the local wildlife/ through sparring with the mentor. This will be supervised, but never interfered with, by the mentor. If the initiate fails, the mentor will watch the death of his pupil (If you somehow survive the loss, he will send you home.) with no remorse. If the player survives the full length of the trial (Two weeks OOC?) he will have his first swear-in.

During the swear-in, one of the most crucial steps in their training, the pupil must be able to recite all the verses of the Warden's codes (again tba). If they fail the recital they will be sent home, never again allowed to retry. For the next trial, the Initiate must spend 3 OOC weeks in the wilderness, thus reinforcing their stamina, survivability, and Nature affinity. The Warden's mentor will set a kill count, and the Warden will down the right number of targets. If the Warden at any time leaves the area he is assigned to, he will be banished from the mentor's sight. If they succeed, they will be given their first assignment (Usually a bounty, but in some cases employment as a guard is acceptable).

The final trial will have a given time period of a week, if not completed within the week, the Initiate will be banished from the mentor's sight. If succeeded, the mentor will give the new Warden a choice of three REAL assignments. (Zone watching, Bounty Hunting, Assisting a town in their guard posts.)

Gear:

The Warden usually wields a special weapon, The Moon Sword. It is their man weapon of choice, shaped into a circle, with a heavy blade connecting both sides on the handle. Other favored weapons include Glaives, Fist weapons, and polearms.

The Warden's cloak. (Quoted from WoWwiki) "these green velvet cloaks bear a fringe of deadly, razor-sharp blades along the hem, resembling the wings of an owl. Wardens learn to shift and swing the cloak dramatically, presenting the blade fringes to anyone who might get too close. The cloak is both a defensive measure against sneak attacks and a potent weapon for the warden when surrounded by enemies.It also provides numerous knife blades for the warden to use with their Fan of Knives."

See http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... rtwork.jpg for an example of both.

Complaints, comments, and suggestions wanted.
Piroska Wrote:I'm more comfortable with the idea of kal'dorei wardens because they are not just law enforcement; they also have a history of being bounty hunters and assassins while upholding the law. However, their current focus is on maintaining peace in night elven lands.
I agree with Piroska on this. I believe that only Night Elves should be allowed this prestige, and here's a thing from WoWWiki that semi-justifies my point and goes against it.
WoWWiki Wrote:They are night elf only, but it is conceivable that a night elf could teach the skills of a warden to a member of another race, but so far as anyone knows, this has never been done.
So it's possible for Alliance members to learn the art of the Warden, but it's not likely they'd find a teacher. Horde, is sadly out of luck. But they have Plagueshifter, so...Yeah.
Pages: 1 2