Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: GrantHammerhoof`s Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player.:
I'm a groovy fellow. My history with video gaming is mildly extensive; my first gaming experiences dealt titles such as WarCraft: Orcs and Humans, MechWarrior 2, and Doom, so I started with a mildly broad field. I moved on to games such as Star Wars: Jedi Outcast, Diablo II and WarCraft II and III in the 2000's, and these days I spread my virtual enjoyment across titles like Crysis, City of Heroes, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Battlefield 2, ARMA 2, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and beyond.
Detailed experiences include Modding for a multitude of games--practically every game I touch I end up attempting to mod in some way or another. I've made numerous models, textures, maps, scripts, and other related modifications for the Quake 3 engine, Unreal engine, and other games.
Outside of gaming, I am a sociable fellow; half-way through college at the moment, I'm majoring in Kinesiology with a minor in Psychology (or Anthropology at this point), as well as working on my NASM for my bodybuilding personal training certification. I'm fairly creative, though you'll find many reoccurring themes in my characters / stories, and I enjoy role-playing as a way to live a life that simply can't be led in today's “civilized” society (eg., going around hacking bandits with axes, that sort of thing).

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?
I'm from Alaska. Which is part of the United States of America, or so I'm informed. My primary language is Amenglish. That is to say, I use English words, but foul my writing with such slang as bro', mate, what'cha, yer', and other things. Currently living in Texas.

How did you get into Warcraft?:
In 1995, I was working hard as I usually did when a friend gave me a black box with some form of demonic symbol on the cover. He informed me it was a video game known as WarCraft: Orcs and Humans. Hesitantly I took it home with me and inserted the disk into my bulky computer…whereupon I transformed a fierce Orcish warlord, striving to consume the realm of Azeroth in a wave of blood and dominance, a few weeks later emerging as a victorious warrior, bathed in the virgin sacrifices that--etcetera.
A few years later, and I saw WarCraft II. I picked it up, played it, was happy. When WarCraft III rolled around, I was rather psyched for it, and bought the Collector's Edition. Gleefully, I immersed myself in the sudden rush of lore that came to me in the form of art, backstory, and narration presented in the WarCraft III collection.
When another friend gave me a floppy disk with screenshots from the beta of a game known as “World of WarCraft”, I was stunned, feasting my eyes on a jungle-bound Tauren warrior, and an orcish shaman traveling across the barrens. I thought it was awesome to finally fall from that god-like perspective, and view the world first-hand. After buying the game when it was released, I immersed myself in the world…before having to buy the game a second time, because I was stationed in Europe, and had purchased the North American version of the game at AFEES.
After buying the game for the second time when it was released in Europe, I immersed myself in the world…and was rather struck by the grind of it all. Suffice to say, while I loved the concept of the game, I didn't much enjoy the game aspect.
It was when I started delving into the world of Role-Playing that my interest really peaked, and while I began role-playing in different games, World of WarCraft didn't endear itself to me due to the player-base. While there were no doubt many interesting figures to be found, I never did find them on the official servers. Eventually, I made my way to the Private Server arena, joining a group called “iRP”, before discovering the Conquest of the Horde…

What made you seek our server over others? (or How did you find us?):
When I found you folks here at Conquest of the Horde, I felt at home. I'm Horde oriented, so the name definitely caught on, but what I've seen of the community so far really does stand out to me. A bunch of educated, thoughtful, and interested people who want to engage themselves in the world of Azeroth as I've wanted to; disregarding much of the technical grind aspect, and instead focusing on building upon the story-roots of a wonderfully written history.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
I would say “Mature”, but I'm not sure that applies here. Everyone I've seen across these forums seems quite mature, and so I'm really not sure how to describe role-playing styles I enjoy. My history in role-playing does extend to a few years of Paragraph Role-Playing in various chatrooms; writing some four or five paragraphs, then waiting for the next turn as other players wrote their actions was engaging to say the least--we positively wrote novels during those sessions with various adventurers, embarking on epic quests to mythical lands in search of divine treasure and fearsome foes…

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:
Tauren Warrior. Second up, Orc Warrior. I'm a warrior by heart, action, and deed, but tempered by experience. I've always been a fan of the mythical Minotaur. To me, it is a prime example of human intelligence, coupled with the bestial strength and fury of a bull (I'm sure he would have turned out to be a jolly fine fellow, had he been raised in proper circumstances). Thus, when Tauren were revealed in WarCraft III, I instantly connected with them. My reason for Warrior is that I always take the direct approach in solving problems--in my profession, there really isn't any other option. I analyze the situation, and take charge. I don't rely upon external forces, such as magic or mysticism--to me, those are nothing but idle distractions, and no alternative for hard-earned physical strength. I do tend towards the Hunter side of things however--I'm a bit of a survivalist, and enjoy adventure in the wilds.

What are your expectations of this server?:
Truth be told, my only expectations are not to be killed by members of the Alliance for no particularly good reason. I'm a Horde-sympathizer as it were--I see the Orcs being corrupted by a demonic force greater than their spiritual abilities could protect them from, and thus being turned into the uncontrollable force that swept across Azeroth. Free from the demon's control circa WarCraft III, I see the Orcs as struggling to rebuild their existence on a foreign plane, attempting to establish a new home, and to recover from the pains of demonic influence. Now rehabilitated (to a point), I see them as warriors now struggling to adapt to the chaotic environment that Azeroth now represents. I'm at odds with over-zealous members of the Alliance, persecuting the Horde for being tribes of mindless beasts and murderers. And I had tears in my eyes by the end of, “Of Blood and Honor.”
...Well now. Expectations…well, you're a bunch of groovy, mature folks, I think if anything, it's me who has to adapt to whatever expectations you folks may have, heh.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
I agree with your PvP Engagement Rules; having to have a role-playing basis for attacking another player is a good thing in my eyes. I'm worried, however, about it. See, I'm pretty…aggressive when it comes to player-versus-player stuff. I'm a warrior, but I don't approve of video game combat…which is ironic in a way, because I play all sorts of aggressive games.
But there's just something about a gnome rogue killing a Tauren Warrior in just a few hits that really…really, irritates me…very much…like, a lot...a lot a lot.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:
The moon shone bright in the dark expanse of the night sky. Despite it being nearly midnight however, these radiant rays of silvery light illuminated the grassy hills and mesas of Mulgore in stunning detail. In particular, it lit up a figure, sleeping quietly and alone beside a dying campfire.
For company, there was naught but an aging war axe, nearly four and a half feet in length, with an ancient bearded blade. Trailing from its base was a long strand of worn cloth, inscribed with stories of conflicts and wars long past, detailing the history of its journeys to and from the field of battle. The weapon's owner was, in contrast, much younger. With fewer stories to tell, the owner made up for his lack of experience with an assortment of skills and abilities that made him worthy of such a weapon.
Rolling over onto his side, the figure's head was limited in motion by a pair of long, black horns. Twisted in an awkward position, the figure returned to his original sleeping posture, flat on his back, his closed eyes staring blankly into the depths of the night sky. The figure was a Tauren. His trade was that of a warrior. His name was common, his features not unique, and yet his position was not an unfortunate one. Having spent nearly a month traveling throughout Mulgore, young Khanos Bloodhorn had proved himself a solid figure in the eyes of his elders upon completing his rites of passage. Already he had demonstrated his abilities in combat by fighting many foes, both native and foreign to Mulgore: harpy tribes intent on wrecking havoc on small Tauren dwellings, unscrupulous dwarves intent on pillaging the land with no regard to the harmony of nature, interlopers seeking to make good of the tenuous times by raiding Tauren supply caravans...
Several victories against such foes had Khanos claimed, and his renown amongst the villages of Bloodhoof and Camp Narache had grown to the point of fair recognition. Khanos was proud of his accomplishments, and enjoyed defending his land, dangerous though this task was. He was a warrior by birth, borne of a mighty name, and to be succeeded by worthy champions. His strong physique was indicative of his strength in combat, and within his eyes shone a keen intelligence and awareness. His dark brown fur was common enough, as were his horns, respectable in length though baring few unique features.
His days and nights of traveling across the land had taken him nearly full-circle around the mountains that contained the lands of Mulgore, and soon he would be arriving once more in Bloodhoof village. It would be a welcome moment; his travels had given him much experience, and he yearned to transform his new found knowledge into skills he might use upon the field of battle.
Yet, at the moment, Khanos slept. He slept well, as it had been a long day, and his muscles were sore from exertion. The axe, while amazingly light for its size, nonetheless proved a burden to even capable young warriors such as him. Presently, Khanos attempted to roll over once more, and as a result no longer lay on the blanket he had rested upon. The sensation of grass faintly reached his mind, and a sudden dying leap of flame from the campfire triggered his remaining senses. Opening his eyes slowly, the blurry image of dying embers greeted him, and the scent of wood smoke drifted into his nostrils.
With a deep sigh, Khanos rolled onto his back once again, and then sat up. The action sent a numb feeling through his sore limbs, but in light of his willpower he barely noticed it. Raising his large hands to his bull-like face, he rubbed his eyes, and after a moment began to see more clearly. The illuminated landscape surrounding him heightened his senses a fair bit, and he reached into a nearby satchel, intent keeping awake long enough to rekindle the fire.
As he brushed aside various food stuffs and miscellaneous items acquired from long forgotten quests, he heard a faint noise some distance away, which caught his attention. Looking up while still searching for flint and tender, he spied a dark shadow moving across the plains. It seemed human at first, tall, with long limbs; but after a moment, he recognized it as being a Troll. The figure seemed to be limping, proceeding at a slow pace across the grassy expanse.
Khanos frowned, his brow furrowing as he analyzed the situation. After a brief moment of consideration, he closed his satchel, slung it over his shoulder, retrieved his war axe, and rose to his hooves. Grabbing the blanket from the ground, he threw it around his shoulders, cloak-fashion, before making his way forward.
The difference in speed became readily apparent, as Khanos approached the figure with surprising rapidity. As he drew closer, his senses began to tingle, and he began searching for clues early on. The first clue was the faint scent of sweat and blood upon the grass below him. Very faint though it was, his snout picked it up acutely, and in the pale light of the moon he saw a thin trail of crimson following the retreating figure. Fully alert now, Khanos scanned around him, but saw no threat. They must have been running from something…but what? The thought nagged at him, as he saw nothing but grass and distant trees. Hurrying now, Khanos quickly overcame the figure. For a brief moment, the other had begun limping more quickly, evidently taking Khanos as the source of danger to which they had been exposed already; upon his catching up to them however, the figure relaxed.
Khanos, on the other hand, was surprised. The figure was indeed a troll, but was revealed to be female. Donning a torn cloth robe, and wielding a broken battle mace, Khanos suspected her of being a priest…but roaming Mulgore alone?
“Are you…a friend?” the troll spoke in a heavily accented, but not altogether unpleasant tone.
“I am,” Khanos replied with certainty. “Are you well? I have some knowledge of first aid if it might assist you.”
“Yes…please…” It was evident she was out of breath, and with surprising gentleness, Khanos took hold of her, and sat her down. Reaching into his satchel for some linen wrappings, Khanos identified a large laceration upon the troll's stomach.
“This is a terrible wound,” Khanos said quietly. The priest nodded.
“I would heal it myself…only, I used my magics to ward off them goblins and gnolls who be attacking me,” she said.
“Goblins?” Khanos asked. While many goblins had allied themselves with the Horde, or became neutral tradesmen and mercenaries, Khanos had fought many goblins in Mulgore, most of whom were allied with the Venture Trading Company. They defiled the lands and reaped the benefits of its destruction. Khanos was not pleased with hearing of yet another such place.
“They be…in a mine,” the troll said. She stared blankly at him, and Khanos was hit with a sudden panic. He was no healer, after all.
“I will take you to safety. Bloodhoof Village is not far.”
The troll was in no condition to object. Tying the loose bandage that he had wrapped around the priest's waist, Khanos lifted the injured figure with ease. His war axe fixed to his battle harness, he began running as gently as possible to the south-east.
“There,” the troll's faint voice said.
Still running, Khanos turned his head north, and saw by the light of the moon, an intrusion into the northern cliff-face. Though distant, Khanos instantly recognized it as the entrance to a mine. He attributed his not having noticed it earlier due to his fatigue, but now that he knew it was there…
“You…see?” the priest breathed.
“I see,” Khanos replied, turning his gaze ahead once more. He could see the dim light of torches and braziers in the distance, flickering urgently, encouraging him to run faster.
“I want you to know,” he growled in-between breaths, “That I will see to it all of them pay for what they have done to both you, and the land.”
Looking down at the figure in his arms, he caught a brief but faint smile on the elongated face, before the troll's expression relaxed into a terribly passive state.
With a snarl, Khanos charged, digging his hooves into the ground with every step, determined…
Time was almost out.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
About the only special notification I have is that I'm a busy guy. I've only recently started playing WoW again (say, yesterday…), and other than that I devote my time between work, studies, and City of Heroes (which is my choice MMO at the moment, and that is leaching a steady 15 USD per month from my wallet). But, I'm a groovy guy as I mentioned, I'm a quick learner, I show above-normal displays of empathy, I genuinely want -everyone- to have a good time (though fair and balanced), and I'm looking forward to serving on the server as a fierce and dedicated, strong and honorable warrior of the Horde.

Though I do tend to sway towards neutrality. Honestly, it's that empathy thing, I try to be friends with everybody (except arrogant holier-than-thou personalities, and gnome warriors). Cheers!
Welcome to the server, and a very well-written story you have there, as a side-note.

Be sure to check up on the various server rules and guides, and have fun in there!

As far as PVP is concerned, there are a few different schools of thought as to how it happens. Using /roll to determine the outcome of an attack is becoming very popular, although trust fighting is also a widely used option. Either way, it won't be forced on anyone, and the purpose is always to create a dramatic exchange between two characters. I don't think you'll have any issues.
Sounds groovy, thanks for the topic approval, and thank'yer kindly for the compliment! Hope to be adventuring soon!