Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Warlocks... Again...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I got a little question:
Would Warlocks actually be able to cast pure Ice and Fire magic?
Even if it doesn't do any damage, then just for RP?
Like heating or cooling a drink
Covering your hand in ice to slap your imp
Lighting candles without paladins realizing you're a fel user
And lots of more cool stuff ^_^
In my opinion, I think No, not "pure" fire and ice magic, as all their spells are corrupted by the fell. But this wouldnt stop them lighting a candle, and none but the most hightly trained individual, such as a demon hunter, would be able to spot that you lit the candle as a warlock rather than a mage. Your not gonna shoot felgreen flame or anything, to the naked eye it would generally be almost the same as normal arcane fire if you intended it to be so.

Frostbolts are out, but the warlock can likely form, say, an icecube, just by simple magic. But I imagine it as the larger the spell, the more fel power is absorbed into it, so ice would melt if you tried to cast it at a frostbolt level, and the larger the flame you produce, the more obvious it was tainted it would be.

Just my opinion though, based on what ive read and just personnal preference, don't hold me to it or quote it :)
Miah Wrote:In my opinion, I think No, not "pure" fire and ice magic, as all their spells are corrupted by the fell. But this wouldnt stop them lighting a candle, and none but the most hightly trained individual, such as a demon hunter, would be able to spot that you lit the candle as a warlock rather than a mage. Your not gonna shoot felgreen flame or anything, to the naked eye it would generally be almost the same as normal arcane fire if you intended it to be so.

Frostbolts are out, but the warlock can likely form, say, an icecube, just by simple magic. But I imagine it as the larger the spell, the more fel power is absorbed into it, so ice would melt if you tried to cast it at a frostbolt level, and the larger the flame you produce, the more obvious it was tainted it would be.

Just my opinion though, based on what ive read and just personnal preference, don't hold me to it or quote it :)

*starts spamming [chat] with Miah's quotes*
Jk ^^

Would they be able to cool things off like a bottle of wine, or for a larger amount of water, a bathtub?
In the pen and paper, warlocks and mages (and necromancers) share a common spell list, with certain spells being specific to each particular class. I don't happen to recall what spells they all share and I don't actually own the books myself, so I can't really tell you.

I would think that, even if a Warlock could cast frost magic, they wouldn't want to. That's the domain of mages and necromancers, it's so far out of their specialization that they'd gain no real benefit for doing so and most simply wouldn't bother actually learning the spells necessary to do any cold-related feats.
This is why I love my mage, because they don't get in trouble and can be just as evil with there magics. That's just my opinion however.

As for my two copper, I believe ice would be completely out. Yet fire doesn't like Miah said.

Now for the pen and paper I'd have to wait for a friend to log in. I know he could confirm what spells they are... his an encyclopedia on the matter ^.^

I... don't personally play p&p (pen and paper or paper and pencil), or D&D for that matter *giggles*

Edit:
I just realized that if the warlock used to be a mage... it would be plausible would it not?
Grakor456 Wrote:In the pen and paper, warlocks and mages (and necromancers) share a common spell list, with certain spells being specific to each particular class. I don't happen to recall what spells they all share and I don't actually own the books myself, so I can't really tell you.
They share quite a bit:
  • 0-level:Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Resistance
  • 1-level: Alarm, Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, Disguise Self, Identify, Mana Shield, Moonglaive, Protection from Evil, Shadow Meld, Silent Image
  • 2-level: Detect Thoughts, Invisibility, Minor Image, Mirror Image, Resist Energy, See Invisibility, Storm Hammer, Touch of Idiocy
  • 3-level: Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form, Hold Person, Major Image, Nondetection, Suggestion, Tongues
  • 4-level: Charm Monster, Confusion, Detect Scrying, Dimension Door, Dimensional Anchor, Geas (Lesser), Globe of Invulnerability (Less), Invisibility (Greater), Locate Creature, Medivh's Mnemonic Enhancer, Phantasmal Killer, Resilient Sphere, Scrying, Solid Fog, Stoneskin
  • 5-level: Break Enchantment, Dismissal, Dominate Person, Hold Monster, Passwall, Persistent Image, Permanency, Sending, Telepathic Bond, Wall of Force
  • 6-level: Antimagic Field, Contingency, Dispel Magic (Greater), Geas/Quest, Legend Lore, Permanent Image, Suggestion (Mass), True Seeing
  • 7-level: Banishment, Hold Person (Mass), Insanity, Invisibility (Mass), Limited Wish, Plane Shift, Scrying (Greater), Spell Turning
  • 8-level: Demand, Discern Location, Mind Blank, Protection from Spells, Telekenetic Sphere
  • 9-level: Dominate Monster, Hold Monster (Mass), Medivh's Disjunction, Spiritual Projection, Wish

Then, of course, there are the three paths arcanists can take: mage, warlock, and necromancer.

While no ice or fire spells were listed, the roleplaying guide does specify that most arcanists multiclass and put levels into multiple paths. When they do so, they retain all of the spells and their abilities without anything that would detract from their being able to use them. That said, I'm fairly certain that we don't allow multiclassing, whether it is hunter/mage or mage/warlock.

The way that I've seen that best justifies why a former mage may no longer have access to his powers as a warlock is the corrupting effect that fel energy has. It perverts everything -- the warlock's body, his personality, even his soul -- so the reasonable next step would be to assume that it also perverts the magic which he wields. So, access to spells normally associated with mages on World of Warcraft are twisted to conform with what spells warlocks utilize.
But since most warlocks were once mages, they'd be able to still cast some mage spells, right?
AM180 Wrote:But since most warlocks were once mages, they'd be able to still cast some mage spells, right?

I think that's where the flame spells come in mostly. As for the rest:

Piroska Wrote:The way that I've seen that best justifies why a former mage may no longer have access to his powers as a warlock is the corrupting effect that fel energy has. It perverts everything -- the warlock's body, his personality, even his soul -- so the reasonable next step would be to assume that it also perverts the magic which he wields. So, access to spells normally associated with mages on World of Warcraft are twisted to conform with what spells warlocks utilize.

So you could probably safely assume some of the warlock spells you can obtain are just twisted versions of some kind of power that a mage has or has something similar to.
AM180 Wrote:But since most warlocks were once mages, they'd be able to still cast some mage spells, right?

Not...exactly. Within the context of the pen and paper, one can be a warlock without having been a mage. They'd be able to cast generic arcanist spells.

Which may actually make sense within the new context. WoW never uses the term "arcanist" and just uses "mage" as a catch-all for users of the arcane. It might be better to think, in the context of RP, that warlocks are "arcanists" that decided to specialize into demonic spells instead of the higher elemental magic.
Well. According to the Pen and Paper. There is nothing that says said warlock cannot use frost or arcane spells. The plain fact is that most warlocks encountered do not want to use said spells. I mean. If I can cast a harder hitting fel fire bolt, why cast a frost bolt?

Power corrupts. Magic is power.
Why? Because people might become suspcious of you as a warlock when you're reclusive, vile, sickly looking, etc. You need a way to prove you're a Mage; Tossing out that one frostbolt might be the decoding factor in a group of paladins beleiving you, or not.
Also it would be nice to use some extra powers in RP, like I said.
Cooling off things is the best example that pops into my head right now, but I'm sure there are more.
And also: Pure fire and ice to get yourself free of "You're a warlock" thing.
Beltharean Wrote:Why? Because people might become suspcious of you as a warlock when you're reclusive, vile, sickly looking, etc. You need a way to prove you're a Mage; Tossing out that one frostbolt might be the decoding factor in a group of paladins beleiving you, or not.

What he said. On this server warlocks are hunted, but game mechanics for retail they aren't.

I think I remember doing quests for an NPC who leads you to believe he is a mage, even casting mage spells, before you find out he's a warlock. This could of course be me confused.
I would think of it at a P&P perspective.

If you started out as a mage, but almost immediately became a warlock (Mage 1/Warlock 7, for example), you can do the most basic of basic spells for a mage without the corruption being visually obvious. Now, if you've had experience as a mage and became a warlock later on (Mage 5/Warlock 7), you can cast some more powerful spells while being able to hide their corruption (again, visually, as your power is drawn from being a Warlock). If you've been a mage for most of the time but are a fairly new/weak warlock, you could hide a lot of the corruption in your magic (Mage 7/Warlock 1). For the latter 2 examples, I'm sure you could do simple things such as chill a bottle of wine or even heat a bathtub without giving away your warlock status. For the first one, anyone who could sense Fel or a trained hunter of warlocks could figure you out, in my opinion. If you've always been a warlock (Warlock 7), I'd say no, all your magic is corrupted.

TL;DR, on a P&P level, the higher your mage class is, the stronger the magic that can have its corruption hidden. No mage levels would mean no hiding it at all.
I don't think the "I'd cast other spells to try to 'prove' I'm not a warlock" argument goes very far. For one, your average Joe Peasant isn't going to be able to tell the difference between a generic warlock spell or a generic mage spell unless it involves the actual summoning or binding of demons. For two, frost magic doesn't prove that your spell-caster is all righteous and good: frost magic is also tied in with necromancy, if you recall. For three, it wouldn't fool someone who really knew anything about arcane magic anyway, because they'd know you could fake it (if you could.)

It's a moot point. Warlocks can't learn ice magic in-game. They can't learn it in the pen and paper without multi-classing. So they can't.
Pages: 1 2