Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Question about Ice Mages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay so I have my frost/ice mage, I wanted to know, would it be possible that I create a piece of arcane ice. Give it to someone to carry with them, and when they smash it into the ground or break it. My guy would be able to sense/pick up on his arcane magic being dispersed therefore allowing me to know where that person is?
I'm gonna say no...

But if you want to be able to locate a friend I'm sure an engineer would be able to create a beacon of sorts. Of course it will only work up to a certain distance and might require some form of radio tower.
Yeah, I've never heard of anything like that, nor do I see how it's possible. Detecting magic isn't a common ability, and would be made even more unlikely by the probable* distance of the two. There are much better alternatives, at any rate. Engineering, some sort of shamanistic stones or...something. Not my area, shamans.
If you're an enchanter, you could enchant a stone that would respond to a "sister" stone in your inventory telling you what direction someone or something is in. Like the magnetic attraction of a lodestone in a compass.
In the RPG there's also an arcane spell named 'Discern Location' that tells you where exactly in the world a person is... Take that as you may.
Beltharean Wrote:In the RPG there's also an arcane spell named 'Discern Location' that tells you where exactly in the world a person is... Take that as you may.

As long as there were drawbacks, such as limited range, vague knowledge, such as the direction the person was in but not the distance, and/or it being a very powerful spell and difficult to cast, then this seems like a fairly good solution :)
Well yes I think it is plausible. First off all ice a mage creates would be considered 'arcane ice'. Secondly I think that the energy put into to the shard would have the purpose to travel back to it's caster when set freed. So you actually don't sense all over the world but sooner or later get a rush of magic and can backtrack it rather easily.
Or you could just divine their location. :3

http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Schools_of_A...Divination
Beltharean Wrote:In the RPG there's also an arcane spell named 'Discern Location' that tells you where exactly in the world a person is... Take that as you may.

I'd say this is like mind communication. While it's possible for a Mage to do, it's a bit on the OP side in RP.
I don't think it's that OP, really. You could create some ice and enchant (or capture, whatever) it with magic, binding it (the magic, not the ice) to yourself. Then, when the ice is broken, the magic is released, and it all comes to you. Perhaps the strength that gets to you is proportional to distance, and if far enough away not all. Sketchy idea, but that could work.

I'd say it's plausible, but difficult and unreliable.
Take such spells as you might, divination has always been kind of a... Niche magic in most games and real-world legends.

Scrying especially takes both experience and some way to focus on the true location of a person or object. For instance, the most easily remembered ingame method of scrying was done by an Ancient Protector in Darkshore for a quest. To let him see what you see, you need to take a specially enchanted bowl of water and perform a ritual of activation at the site he wanted to see. From that, he could view the reflection mirrored by the water from a twin scrying bowl in his grove.

Other forms of scrying such as a beastmaster's animal sight or a Shaman's farseeing are related entirely to communicating with the spirit of something in order to see through its eyes. These more powerful forms of divination are out of reach of the standard Mage with only a decade or two of practice.

I still count "twin lodestone compass showing where someone is in relation to you" as the best and most feasible idea for an inexperienced mage, or one without the equipment or time needed to perform true scrying.

All this stuff about "Magic ice releasing energy to return to you" seems bizarre to me. When magic is released through disenchantment or the end of a spell, it's usually quickly dispersed from the plane because Azeroth absolutely hates magic. The realm itself is anathema to magic in the raw, and the use of magic within it is actually somewhat of a sin against nature according to a lot of Elf and Druid lore sources.

I will finally be able to find that Carmen San Diego!...Wherever she may be...
Divination in wow has always been kind of a weird school of magic because there truly a lot of information on it. To be able to scry the location of someone that is any great distance away is easily Archmagus level with that being one of your chosen two specialties. It should also be noted that you need a scrying pool to do so, such as a moonwell.

Like Kaghuros said, I would go with something like the twin lodestone idea. Just be sure to impose suitable restrictions on it like the obvious won't work across continents/zones.
Kaghuros Wrote:Take such spells as you might, divination has always been kind of a... Niche magic in most games and real-world legends.

Scrying especially takes both experience and some way to focus on the true location of a person or object. For instance, the most easily remembered ingame method of scrying was done by an Ancient Protector in Darkshore for a quest. To let him see what you see, you need to take a specially enchanted bowl of water and perform a ritual of activation at the site he wanted to see. From that, he could view the reflection mirrored by the water from a twin scrying bowl in his grove.

Other forms of scrying such as a beastmaster's animal sight or a Shaman's farseeing are related entirely to communicating with the spirit of something in order to see through its eyes. These more powerful forms of divination are out of reach of the standard Mage with only a decade or two of practice.

I still count "twin lodestone compass showing where someone is in relation to you" as the best and most feasible idea for an inexperienced mage, or one without the equipment or time needed to perform true scrying.

All this stuff about "Magic ice releasing energy to return to you" seems bizarre to me. When magic is released through disenchantment or the end of a spell, it's usually quickly dispersed from the plane because Azeroth absolutely hates magic. The realm itself is anathema to magic in the raw, and the use of magic within it is actually somewhat of a sin against nature according to a lot of Elf and Druid lore sources.

See, that's why you impose limits on the distance. The amount that is able to return to you is so minuscule you'd need to be actively trying to sense magic to feel it. Along with that, it can't exactly go very far.

Just curious, where'd you read that Azeroth hates magic?
Divine Location
  • Level: Arcanist 8, Healer 8
    Components: Verbal, somatic, divine focus
    Casting Time: 10 minutes
    Range: Unlimited
    Target: One creature or object
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

A discern location spell is among the most powerful means of locating creatures or objects. Nothing short of a mind blank spell or the direct intervention of an Eternal keeps you from learning the exact location of a single individual or object. Discern location circumvents normal means of protection from scrying or location. The spell reveals the name of the creature or object's location (place, name, business name, building name or the like), community, county (or similar political division), country, continent and the plane of existence where the target lies.

To find a creature with the spell, you must have seen the creature or have some item that once belonged to it. To find an object, you have touched it at least once.

I'd like to add, however, that the number in level defines the spell's power -- as well as indicates the character's ability to do so. The highest that a spell can go is 9, so divine location (which is 8) would be considered a very difficult, very powerful spell. The sort of spell that people learn after years or even decades of experience, practice, learning.

It is interesting to note that the spell requires no materials to be utilized; instead, its requirements are verbal (speaking), somatic (requires gestures), and divine focus (a symbol appropriate to the character's faith or beliefs). This is a requirement of both the arcanist and the healer.

Scrying is a far easier spell (Arcanist 4, Healer 5), but suffers from constraints that aren't present for divine location. You can see and hear some creature of any distance, but if it's night you won't be able to see and if you ability to hear is affected by any means it can impede the efforts. It doesn't tell you where, which means you have to derive the location.
Pages: 1 2