Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Getting more RAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, I don't know where to post this, but here I go.

So, I got a standard 512 MB RAM on my Windows XP. I'm looking to upgrade to 2 GB RAM.

Where can I buy this, and how cheap can I get it?
Newegg.com

You need to find out what type of RAM you have and what your comp can handle. Such as DDRX and the pin number, and how much your motherboard can take on, there's always a set number your motherboard is processed to take. My personal computer can handle up to 6 GBs, but it was built for 4 to be the standard. You may not be able to bump up to 2 GBs.
Alright, how do I figure all that stuff out? I have some specs right here.

System tab

Operating system: Mircosoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061

System Model: PL282AA-ABA A706N

Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GNz

Memory: 512MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display tab

Device Name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6218

Driver Date: 6/28/2007 23:43:00

Driver DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled

Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled

AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled
You need to figure out the name and model of your motherboard. I don't know how to directly figure this out because I built my comp and therefore had to buy everything individually.
If you have the cash you should get a new processor as well.
Apparently, according to the internets, if your computer (The HP Pavillion 061... Notebook?) has an ASUS (K8N8X-LA PES) Diablo motherboard, it can only hold 1 gigabyte of RAM, which is two sticks of 512 DDR RAM. Compare those product designations to your computer.
Sadly, it's a desktop. That's how much fail it is.

I bought the right RAM stick, 512MB HP-Compaq Evo Desktop/Workstation PC2700 DDR DIMM (p/n 313885-292)

But when I put it in correctly, I cannot play any games, but can use my browser and X-fire chat.

Any ideas on what to do before I rage and send it back to Best Buy?