Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: ryanlecocq`s Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player.:
I would describe myself as a team player. I generally play with a character that fills the gaps in my group so that other players can keep doing what they like to do. Oftentimes you get one or two players that are reckless or impatient and without other players dutifully watching over them you have failure and defeat. Contrarily if I find I'm in a party that is too heavy on support I have no problem jumping in as the DPS or tank role. I find the greatest satisfaction in WoW comes from everyone accomplishing their goals and no players feeling underutilized or ignored and I am very flexible in my own play style to make this happen.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?
I am a naturalized citizen of New Mexico, USA. I originally hail from British Columbia, Canada and my primary language is English, although I also speak French and Spanish.

How did you get into Warcraft?:
I have been playing WoW since the original beta in spring of '04. I stopped playing on retail servers shortly after WOTLK. The loss of the world exploration and character development style in favor of PVP combat turned me off to paying for it.

What made you seek our server over others? (or How did you find us?):
I had been playing on a WoW classic RP server and another player suggested this server if I wanted to play WOTLK content with a more early WoW style community. He said most of his friends from early WoW would only play on this server.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
I really love and truly miss the five man party RP from early WoW. Most of us then were DnD geeks who had just discovered MMOs, so we naturally approached the game like a DnD party. RPing mostly, mixed with occasional references to modern culture and humor. It wasn't like we stopped to compose poems in old English, but we thought of our character as being unique and having a personality and backstory.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:
Dwarven Hunter. This was the first toon I rolled. I watched the opening video and after seeing the D/H decided that was what I wanted to be. The fantastic design of Dun Morogh and it's excellent wind sound effects, subtle music and beauty made it feel like my homeland. I would frequently go back there (especially after weather was patched in) just to look out over my home valley and watch for invading Horde. My favorite Horde combo is Undead Warlock or Blood Elf Paladin, mostly for function.

What are your expectations of this server?:
I want to play on a server that feels like the community of early WoW. Where people still think of it as the 'world of warcraft' instead of the happy fun daycare where you can misbehave and there are no nannies to punish you.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
Language. There are two words with two g's in each of them that I have seen so many times in my chat window that they appear there in my dreams about WoW. They are two of my least favorite words and I won't miss them.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:
The first sensation of the day was that of biting, merciless cold. As every day at the South gate outpost started this way, I payed it no mind. It was the feeling of many tiny hands pulling at my face that fully woke me. As I tried to pull back my head I made the painful realization that my beard was frozen solidly to the table it had been resting upon. Surely any moment I would hear the gales of laughter from my mates. When this never came I carefully pulled my head to the side to observe my surroundings. I had passed out in the mess hall, facedown in my own spilled ale. I was frozen to the table because the fires were out. This would have struck me as odd, except that it was the most mundane of the details entering my mind.

All around me were slain mountaineers. My friends, cousins and countrymen had already begun to take on the purple tint of a body solidly frozen. They had been dead for hours. In a fit of urgency I pulled my skinning knife and hacked my prized beard from the table. Spinning around wildly I took in the scene fully. My comrades had been crushed and torn apart. Strangely there were no other bodies. I could not believe that our elite woodsmen had not even felled a single attacker.

Then I saw it. The outline of a strange symbol had been scorched into the stone floor. A warlock. It would have taken a very powerful individual to have slain so many, but such was not unheard of in this age where mortals had stolen the powers of gods. The question was why? Why would a powerful member of the Horde's most elite forces come here and provoke Ironforge to war?

I was startled from my musings by a rasp to my left.
"Kurtzan... are you... living or have we both died?"
It was Micah, the young nephew of Mtr. Stormpike. He had only been at the gate a month and was in my squad.
"We're both still living m'lad. I shamefully missed the fight to be honest. What did you see?"
He gave a weak laugh.
"Sir you seemed so certainly dead last night, a Forsaken would have taken you for his own neighbor."
I put a hand on his chest.
"Don't laugh my lad, you have a hole in you sure as quartz through granite. Who did this?"
"It was an orc, sir... but not a local. I couldn't be sure, but his gibberish sounded more complex, like the ones from Orgrimmar. We assumed he was lost and we were actually going to give him ale and redirect him, as usually those city types are peaceful away from the front. Then all suddenly, he summoned his beast on us. Never said a word."
"So it was random then? Do you think he was acting alone?"
"Almost certainly sir, he seemed to be taunting us. His power was far beyond what we were ready for, he could have just taken our weapons or run us off. It was almost as if he was here just for the spite."
I thought on this as I bound his wound to the best of my abilities. When I was finished, I carefully lifted him to his feet.
"Easy now, son. It's a long walk to the lower outpost. Pray it still stands."

We walked for over two hours to the nearest post. The snow started about half way. Almost immediately it was so thick we could barely see around the next bend. When I knew we were near, I left Micah safely in the bowl of a large Ironwood tree and crept ahead to scout the post.

To my horror I saw that the Horde had arrived first. I saw the Warlock who had attacked the South Gate as well as several others who had joined him. At the moment they were laughing and dancing about while one of them performed lewd gestures and motions over the corpse of a fallen mountaineer.

We would have to make the trek to Ironforge. They would probably beat us to Karanos, so the capitol was our only hope. These renegades would not likely stop out of boredom. They seemed completely mad. As the fire smoldered deep down in me I resolved that the only solution would be to return with our own champions and kill them to the last. I would mourn my comrades with vengeance and when I had finished I must leave. Watching the gate is not enough. Maniacs cannot be allowed to walk free in our lands or the lands surrounding them and I will pay all my life for sound sleep I had last night.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
Hey there. Welcome to CotH =D Hope you have fun, or are having it already.