Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Unicode Characters?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So was fiddling with some character ideas and happened to notice that a lot of more normal female names are taken.

Not particularly a problem, there's always double consonants and replaced vowels to a degree, but a lot of them look between pretty bad to forced depending on the name's origin. So I was wondering 1. are letters like æ and é supposed to work? (they didn't when I tried them, but I do know they did on retail about a year ago) and 2. would they be allowed if they do work?

I totally realize there's picking different names, there's millions out there. And I'm sooo not asking about weird symbols (such as §, ǂ, Ɨ, etc). I'm really only curious about accented (ex. é) or otherwise reasonable characters (æ) that can be correctly used in historical (or foreign!) names.
If im correct, your not allowed to use Unicode characters in your names...not sure if its a technical reason or what.
Yeah, I think the rule is if it's not on a regular american keyboard....don't bother.
I imagine it makes it a hassle for GM's and such. Unique names really are not too hard to come up with, and heck, even with common names ive never had trouble.
Regrettably, I have disabled the ability to use any non-standard character in your name. They may look pretty and whatnot, but trying to manually type the name is a PITA.
Kretol, can you enable ' and - ?
Quote:Kretol, can you enable ' and - ?

When I asked him about that for names (makes character names so much nicer for trolls X3), he said that he could not. Although he could potentially do it for guild names. This was maybe a few weeks ago?

Not the final say by any means, but my previously received response.
Funny thing (relatively related to this), in prettied up names like Stargåte. The å is something between u and o rather than a. So basicly it's pronounced Stargoat, if pronounced by original meaning.