Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Character Warnings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some time now, I've heard multiple variations, takes, and ideas on character warnings. And frankly, I'm confused and unsure which one I'm supposed to be following. So what I'm asking is a clear, concise run-down of the character warning system as unanimously agreed on by the GM's. (This because I've had more than one variation from separate GM's)

For my benefit, as much as others. The wiki isn't terribly forward with the kind of information I'm looking for.
To reiterate what I had told you in game nigh ten minutes ago;

Character Warnings are given out before any physical conflict or endangerment of characters. This includes serious injury and death. The option is, that players can either consent or not consent to death. Those who are already pushing into conflict may choose to be knocked out but not killed, or they may simply leave the situation without question or quarrel. When they are given out through the OOC channels, they are warnings that whatever the character is doing to the other is pushing them to seriously injure them. Those that continue such things without agreeing on being only knocked out void the warning by having their character in danger of their own hand. I give out character warnings before conflict, those who wish to not engage in such actions can simply leave or be knocked out as agreed upon.
Anski Wrote:To reiterate what I had told you in game nigh ten minutes ago;

Character Warnings are given out before any physical conflict or endangerment of characters. This includes serious injury and death. The option is, that players can either consent or not consent to death. Those who are already pushing into conflict may choose to be knocked out but not killed, or they may simply leave the situation without question or quarrel. When they are given out through the OOC channels, they are warnings that whatever the character is doing to the other is pushing them to seriously injure them. Those that continue such things without agreeing on being only knocked out void the warning by having their character in danger of their own hand. I give out character warnings before conflict, those who wish to not engage in such actions can simply leave or be knocked out as agreed upon.

Pretty much.

On a related note, one also can not "permanently" kill a character, even with character warnings. In essence, a killer can't deny someone their option to resurrect a character. That choice is up to the character's owner.

There are two specific instances where I consider a character warning automatically agreed on. The first is if the character does something obviously and monumentally stupid (I charge alone into ten armed players for giggles.) The second is if the character is defeated, but continues to trash talk or act as if he had not (in which case death is the only logical ending for such a character.)
Thank you, now I have something material to refer to. And perhaps others do was well, as they were even more confused than I.
Just a set of clarification questions - just so I see if I got it right.

When A and B start getting in each other's faces in neutral town X, and they agree to head out and resolve the issue outside the town, and the OOC discussion goes as such.

A: Char warning if they actually go outside to fight.

1. Can B reply:

B: "OK, but only to knock out." ?

1.1. If B says that and is allowed to say that, can A Reply:

A: "Sorry but, if they go out and A knocks him out, he might kill him." ?

I've always interpreted character warnings as "If things continue on their current path, the way I RP my character and the way you RP your character may lead to things likely undesirable for one or both." When I issue one, I've always thought it's all-but-intentional-permadeath goes.

2. If they go at it by way of roll fight, and they don't agree on rules on retreating before-hand, how much should the one that's losing be allowed to retreat, and by what mechanism?

3. If Character C, IC friend of character A sees the fight, without meta, can he join the (roll) fight with full HP, the character warning automatically engulfing him, or is he forced to stay out until B agrees OOC?

Thanks!
DaveM Wrote:Just a set of clarification questions - just so I see if I got it right.

When A and B start getting in each other's faces in neutral town X, and they agree to head out and resolve the issue outside the town, and the OOC discussion goes as such.

1. Can B reply:

I've always interpreted character warnings as "If things continue on their current path, the way I RP my character and the way you RP your character may lead to things likely undesirable for one or both." When I issue one, I've always thought it's all-but-intentional-permadeath goes.

2. If they go at it by way of roll fight, and they don't agree on rules on retreating before-hand, how much should the one that's losing be allowed to retreat, and by what mechanism?

3. If Character C, IC friend of character A sees the fight, without meta, can he join the (roll) fight with full HP, the character warning automatically engulfing him, or is he forced to stay out until B agrees OOC?

Thanks!

1: That's cool.

2: Look, we're not all out to gank each other's characters, are we? Simply determine whether or not it would be easy for the person to retreat. If it's easy, like all they have to do is turn and flee into the forest, then sure, let them get away with it. If they have to do something creative like climb up a mountain or push their opponent aside, then make it a roll. Ask the other person to describe how they intend to retreat, then tell them honestly whether or not your character would be able to do anything about it. And even then, you might just let them get away. It's no big deal really.

3: They can join if it makes sense ICly. We don't have magical metagame detectors, so we're just going to have to assume we're all being honest. Or if someone is truly opposed to it, then just tell them to retcon showing up, and have them appear when the fight is over.
I got a question that cropped up recently when in RP.

Had an indecent where I'm playing a character, and out of the blue, a second character issues a character warning to mine, as far as I know entirely unprovoked. I Said i didn't accept the character warning, as it didn't really make much sense, and i didn't want to risk my character to the temperament of another character I had known barely 5 minutes. I was told I would have to have my character leave to avoid the warning, as staying would be a sign that I agreed to the character warning. I did leave, to avoid the IC and OOC drama that would likely have ensued, but I felt kinda cheated out of rp, as I was forced to leave a role-play I was enjoying with more than that character, for the sake of keeping my character alive. What should you do in a situation where you feel like your being pressured into accepting character warnings this way?
...You can't really deny a character warning. It's a warning.

'Hey, you're not allowed to come here. It's a restricted area. This is a warning. We will kill you if you don't leave.'

'Pfft, I don't accept your warning.'
Nonono it was not like that. It was not in any way a restricted area. Neutral town. And I was not playing a warlock, or Deathknight, or being in any way antagonistic to a character. And someone tried to pick a fight, in which i didn't want to be involved, so i was told id have to leave, or my character would be killed. So i left, which was me not wanting the death of my character.
I think Clover's idea is a bit too over-the-top and counts more as harassment than actual roleplay. Did you explain here that you wanted to rp on this tavern or this dock with your friends without facing a character death?
Pretty much, but they were adamant that if my character stuck around, their character would be "forced" to kill him. The character seemed a bit...well...like your ultra-evil type so I didn't know how to respond in honesty, it was easier to leave to avoid drama. I actually had not even interacted with that character so it seemed..well..kinda unnecessary.
DaveM Wrote:When A and B start getting in each other's faces in neutral town X, and they agree to head out and resolve the issue outside the town, and the OOC discussion goes as such.

1. Can B reply:

You're naturally allowed to discuss the situation to try to come up with an agreement or resolution that everyone is happy with. If B doesn't want death he can simply say that, and if A states that he isn't going to accept anything but, it's best to simply defuse the situation and not do a fight.

Quote:2. If they go at it by way of roll fight, and they don't agree on rules on retreating before-hand, how much should the one that's losing be allowed to retreat, and by what mechanism?

I can't answer that, as there's no universal fighting system on the server. For one thing, however, is that character warnings should be given before a fight begins, not in the middle (otherwise we'd be allowing "Oh hey, I'm winning, CHARACTER WARNING" situations.) In this particular situation, something should be discussed to see if a resolution that both parties are happy with can be done. If not, the method of retreat as at the discretion of the character's owner.

Quote:3. If Character C, IC friend of character A sees the fight, without meta, can he join the (roll) fight with full HP, the character warning automatically engulfing him, or is he forced to stay out until B agrees OOC?

I'm pretty much in the same situation for this one as I was in #2. There are too many variables for this one, and goes beyond the scope of this particular discussion.

Miah Wrote:Had an indecent where I'm playing a character, and out of the blue, a second character issues a character warning to mine, as far as I know entirely unprovoked. I Said i didn't accept the character warning, as it didn't really make much sense, and i didn't want to risk my character to the temperament of another character I had known barely 5 minutes. I was told I would have to have my character leave to avoid the warning, as staying would be a sign that I agreed to the character warning. I did leave, to avoid the IC and OOC drama that would likely have ensued, but I felt kinda cheated out of rp, as I was forced to leave a role-play I was enjoying with more than that character, for the sake of keeping my character alive. What should you do in a situation where you feel like your being pressured into accepting character warnings this way?
---
Nonono it was not like that. It was not in any way a restricted area. Neutral town. And I was not playing a warlock, or Deathknight, or being in any way antagonistic to a character. And someone tried to pick a fight, in which i didn't want to be involved, so i was told id have to leave, or my character would be killed. So i left, which was me not wanting the death of my character.

This is more of an example of someone being too over-zealous with character warnings. A warning is intended to be given during the build-up to violence, before a fight begins. A warning would therefore be meaningless in a location like Booty Bay, as you wouldn't be able to conduct a fight to the death there due to our policies on guards.
Grakor456 Wrote:The first is if the character does something obviously and monumentally stupid (I charge alone into ten armed players for giggles.)

That has happened more times than I can count.