Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Site misinformation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My character Tigris was docked six levels today. I was informed by Zexi that I must be a Grunt before I leveled any character past 50; Tigris was 56. I confessed that I wasn't aware of this and that I had been led by the website to believe only an approved character profile was required to level past 50 (which I had), and that Gruntship was only necessary for being insta-leveled to 80. Zexi patiently informed me of the rules and answered all of my questions before doing what had to be done. He(/she?) referred me to the stickies here on the forums, which I had already read. Clearly I had not read them clearly, I thought! But upon further inspection, I was puzzled at what I found.

According to viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16
Quote:Grunts are basically just those that have been around the server for a while, and are ideally active. Being a grunt entitles your characters (with approved profiles) to be insta-leveled to 80. Once a character of yours is leveled, they can head to GM Island and speak to Garokk the Destroyer. He will provide you with a nice chunk of gold, and a couple of 32-slot bags! Grunts also get some other perks, which are explained elsewhere.

There is nothing here about Gruntship being a requirement for leveling past 50! But, thought I, perhaps the 'elsewhere' stated would reveal such a catch. So I did a bit of digging. But what I found confused me even further!

According to http://wiki.conquestofthehorde.com/Once ... leveled.3F (in response to the question "Do I actually need a profile if I don't want to get leveled?")
Quote:Yes, but not immediately. You are allowed to level a character up to 50 before needing a profile approved for that particular character. This should provide more than enough time for you to decide whether you enjoy RPing on that character or not. Note that Death Knight characters are unable to level on their own at all before requiring an approved profile, as they already start at 55!

Once again, there is no mention of Gruntship. I was starting to get a sneaking suspicion that my level deduction had been a mistake! But out of faith in the staff, I did even more hunting. Once again, my findings perplexed me.

According to http://wiki.conquestofthehorde.com/Prof ... profile.3F (in response to the question "Can I actually play my character before posting a profile?)
Quote:Indeed you can! In fact, it's encouraged to give the concept you have a 'test drive' before submitting a profile, as that will help you decide if you actually want to play it or not. You only need to have a profile submitted and approved if you want to be able to go above level 50 on that character (and/or get a bump up to level 80).

Once again, no reference of Gruntship as a requirement! And on the same page:

According to http://wiki.conquestofthehorde.com/Prof ... _Gruntship (in response to the...eh, I'm sure you guys get it)

Quote:When you are a peon, and you see a big green approved in your profile, you -still- need gruntship in order to get to level 80 and have your character placed in the wiki. We have a separate forum to keep track of this. Information on how to become a grunt is present elsewhere on the wiki, and the stickies on the forums.

No Gruntship, still.

I'm not asking for my levels back. Six mere levels aren't much to earn back, after all! But out of concern for fellow newcomers (I myself being a mere month-long member of CotH) and for clarity's sake, I'd like to see the inaccuracies on the stickies and wiki addressed, assuming that this is a site problem and not a personnel issue. Of course, if I'm simply missing something obvious - a link that explains it all, for instance - I'd be overjoyed to hear someone correct me!

Thanks for helping me out! :)
Thank you for pointing it out! To avoid further confusion, I will certainly update the 'Connecting to the Server' global and also various places on the wiki.
I noticed the same thing around the site/forum actually...
The ingame Autobroadcasts correctly state that you need to have both an approved profile and gruntness to level past 50. After reading that I skimmed through here and found the information kinna mixed. You can still come to a reasonable conclusion of the correct rule, but the mixed information needs fixed.

I'd also kinna like to see a little clarification on the rules for rolling a Death Knight. They're a bit vague and confusing.
While I by no means am anyone important or one to alter the public resources, I will mention off-hand that Death Knights've been allowed to level to 65 since the server restart.

What with it being now necessary to complete the Acherus questline to get out of the Enclave and the questline itself dumping you around 64 or so with the increased EXP gain.

Edit: I hastily looked it up in the Wiki after posting the above. The article on Death Knights does state the level cap.
Fail misinterpretation is fail.
The leveling and need to do the questline is because if you were to skip the quests then your character wouldn't be able to get the talents offered from them. That's why they have a different level cap because their situation is different.
The automatic broadcasts - at least the ones that I have seen - do not correctly state server policy.

A quick and simple example, taken today:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.p ... 7a1219.jpg
That isn't so much as incorrect information as it is an absence of information. It simply does not state the policy on gruntship. So...meh, I don't know. Seems like it would be fine to me. I myself thought you could level a character past 50 IF the character's profile was approved, grunt status be damned.
I actually have two announcements that concern character leveling - one of them does indeed have more information as far as also stating Gruntship is required. I shall add that on to this announcement as well! (Not sure how I even missed it)