Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Draenei Telepathy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before you start banging on at me about power-gaming and stuff, I'm not really comfortable with this idea at all being used in RP, but I wonder if people should start adopting it as part of lore.

In the opening segment of Rise of the Horde, the Eredar leaders are shown to communicate through telepathy, and it seems likely that many, if not all, members of their race can.

It seems, however, that the ability cannot be used invasively. It is shown that the Eredar had control over when their minds linked with one-another, and they could close the link at any time they wished.

Now, since Draenei are pretty much uncorrupted Eredar who changed their names, is it possible for them to willingly link minds in this fashion as they once did when they still called themselves Eredar? I am not keen on the idea, but I feel that if it's in the lore, we should not exclude its possibility from Role-play.

What are your thoughts on this?
It is probably best to not even touch this because generally mind reading rp is frowned upon. To be honest the current state of draenei telepathy cannot be determined because of the mutations they went through, and by this I mean that they are much smaller and while they do retain many Eredar features, it seems they are a new species now.
Much smaller? How do you figure that? The Demonic Eredar are not a good basis for comparison at all. They have been saturated with fel over the millennia, and are undoubtedly mutated by fel corruption hugely. Meanwhile as far as we know the Draenei have not changed at all. It doesn't make sense for them to have either since some of the Draenei around now were around as Eredar before they left Argus, like Velen, and he looks like all the other Draenei really.

It should also be noted that this NOT mind-reading, it is a voluntary trading of thoughts between two or more individuals, like an ordinary conversation except that it cannot be overheard.
I suppose it depends on the power of each Draenei. I'm not sure if all retained the ability.
Just because it's in lore doesn't mean it can be RPed on this server.
Even so, I can promise some people are going to do it anyway now that it's been brought up.

Whispers are a great and terrible thing.

But I disagree with it. It appears it'd be just another excuse to Meta and the like; reminds me of that whole 'elf hearing' thing.
I'm totally against that stuff. It will be abused to use the whisper function ICly. I smell it!
Also, this discussion will probably lead to a similiar discussion to the one about the windstone of the Autumns. Do not want.

Besides that, the rules state, that not kind of that stuff is available to players. And yes, there is a lot of this stuff in the universe of WoW, but we do not want this here, so that's why it's excluded / ignored or at least not granted to the player.
The more I think about it, the less unreasonable it seems. This is really just a form of private communications. It does not allow Draenei/Eredar to invade others' thoughts unwillingly, it is something the two have to mutually activate.

Seems a lot of people are misinterpreting my initial post.

However, I probably wouldn't use it myself. Mostly because of the awkwardness of explaining it to those who aren't aware of it and initiating it convincingly in an RP setting.
Mayson Wrote:I'm totally against that stuff. It will be abused to use the whisper function ICly. I smell it!
Also, this discussion will probably lead to a similiar discussion to the one about the windstone of the Autumns. Do not want.

Besides that, the rules state, that not kind of that stuff is available to players. And yes, there is a lot of this stuff in the universe of WoW, but we do not want this here, so that's why it's excluded / ignored or at least not granted to the player.

Ohai! Yeah, we had to eventually have it where the windstones are elemental walkietalkies.
Vedaal, do you know if the Eredar mind reading comes from them being Eredar, or from the changes they too have gone through? After all, are we seeing this from straight out Eredar or the ones who are man'ari? I think it might be a side-effect of becoming demonic, after all, a lot of demons also have the ability to turn invisible and take on the forms of mortals. It might be a demon function more than a function that comes from their native species.
The telepathy you are thinking they are using probably isn't a racial trait. The Eredar were, and are, skilled magic wielders and they were most likely using the school of Divination to speak to one another using, well, magic. It would be something a mage is capable of doing but we do not allow such a thing to work on CotH due to it being a form of private conversation which we frankly don't allow here. As it was said above, just a reason to use the whisper command ICly. As much as it may be in lore, we simply don't allow it, that's all there is to it.
Wuvvums Wrote:Vedaal, do you know if the Eredar mind reading comes from them being Eredar, or from the changes they too have gone through? After all, are we seeing this from straight out Eredar or the ones who are man'ari? I think it might be a side-effect of becoming demonic, after all, a lot of demons also have the ability to turn invisible and take on the forms of mortals. It might be a demon function more than a function that comes from their native species.

Wuvvums, the Draenei had the mind-reading powers before they became corrupted. It's not mind-reading, as Vedaal has stated, it's like a private conversation, where both parts agree to it. It's got nothing to do with corruption, as it was before they became corrupted.
Im not sure how we are taking this. So I set up some little things, and you cvan point to which is closest.

1. Draenei A looks across to Draenei B across the tavern, seemingly communicating his distaste for those around him worldlessly.

2. Draenei A sat in booty bay, and in his boredom, decided to communicate with Draenei B telepathically "Ugh, this place is dull"

3. Draenei A looked between the two night elves, and without hearing a word, understood their dilemma.

Now im pretty sure your going for 1, which is just a kind of innate knowledge of what other draenei are thinking, on the loosest possible terms. Or do you mean 2, communicating through actual telepathic conversation over any distance.

Or 3. Literally reading minds.

I wouldnt really argue the point if someone did one, as it could just be seen as intuition, but the other two would just be...well...more that a tad metagamey.
It will be abused.

That's why it's not welcomed. (Metagaming much, and also /w abuse, and ...... )
Ultimately, I feel as though we should not have our Draenei communicating in this manner until we have concrete evidence from the lore that our playable Draenei can do such on a whim.
The point is, if two Draenei CHOOSE to be able to communicate telephatically, then they can. Again, if they CHOOSE to, both of them. Besides, it's clearly stated that uncorrupted Draenei (the ones in game) can speak telephatically if they create a bond between them, in the book Rise of the Horde.
This should not be done. Whether they 'can' or not, the usage of such is metagaming.