Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Mage Spell: Wish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Arcanists have a spell which they apparently can use called 'Wish'. I have had a debate and I believe such a spell cannot be used. Why? It's very strong and I doubt anyone but lore figures could possibly cast it. Here is it, quoted from WoWWiki:
WoWWiki Wrote:Wish is one of the mightiest spells an arcanist can cast. By simply speaking aloud, one can alter reality to better suit them. Even wish, however, has its limits.

A wish can produce any one of the following effects.
  • * Duplicate any arcanist spell, provided the spell is not on another path's spell list.
    * Duplicate any arcanist spell, even if it is on another path's spell list.
    * Duplicate any other spell, including divine spells.
    * Undo the harmful effects of many other spells, such as geas/quest or insanity.
    * Create nonmagical items.
    * Create magic item, or add to the powers of an existing magic item.
    * Grant a creature abilities.
    * Remove injuries and afflictions. A single wish can aid one or more creatures, and all subjects are cured of the same kind of affliction. For example, an arcanist could heal all of his and his companions damage they have taken, or remove all poison effects from everyone in the party, but not do both with the same wish.
    * Revive the dead. A wish can bring a dead creature back to life by duplicating a resurrection spell. A wish can revive a dead creature whose body has been destroyed, but the task takes two wishes, one to recreate the body and another to infuse the body with life again.
    * Transport travelers. A wish can lift one or more creatures from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions. An unwilling target may negate the effect.
    * Undo misfortune. A wish can undo a single recent event.
    * Return a Forsaken to mortal life. It can restore them into living human or high elf.
    * A wish can restore a reincarnated character to his or her original form.
An arcanist may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. The wish may pervert his intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.
Discuss!
I believe it's a spell that could be used, but it would take preparations for days, and leave the mage terribly worn out afterwards.
I'm just gonna put it down before it could potentially turn into a flame war:

We will NOT be allowing players to use Wish. Ever. It's been asked before and we've always said no. Even if it -can- be used, we won't be letting players do it at all simply because of how strong it is.

Leave the OP-ness to lore figures.
Well, heres my idea. Some of these things are godly, but not too godly. Priests can resurrect, so the resurrection duplication is not totally out of this world. But you know, it's a priest spell. Not sure if a mage can pull it off. Now if you think about it, enchanters can add powers to an existing item like the 'Add powers of an existing magic item', so those are abit similar, aslong as it is not to powerful. I believe Wish should be allowed in game, but with only afew of the things it can do. Like.. Taking away reviving the dead. Thats a priest spell, should stay that way. Returning a forsaken to mortal life.. That can be taken away, but its up to the GMs. Also toning down the remove injuries and afflictions. I say one wish per party member that has a disease on them or a magical deteriorating spell. Granting creature abilties can be taken away, (why would you want to grant a creature abilties? Maybe to make your little vanity pet talk, but..no.) Creating a magic item that isn't to powerful is fine, or enchanting a weapon with another magic power that isn't to ridiculous is fine, and duplicating certain spells are okay. Since they are a mage, I think they can only duplicate other mage spells, and not like.. Priest or Paladin spells. Shamanistic and warlock spells that can be duplicated needed to be discussed about.
All in all, if you were to chop up the Wish spell and make it more less epic, it would take alot of rules and configuring.. Maybe to much to be even dealt with in the first place. If the GMs decide it's to much work to even be bothered with, I say just not use it IC.

(And I just saw that Hawk posted above that it won't be used. typed this all for nothing!)
Isn't wish in D&D too?

Actually I wonder how many spells are similar to those in D&D. Someone talked about phantasmal killer to me before and that would be another OP spell.
No Deus Ex Machina spells please. :3
This does not even sound like anything part of Warcraft-lore but something idiotic put into the RPG by DnD nerds. Like an even more overpowere fate-point.