Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Slavery and You.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello, CotH.
I think it's time we had a talk about Slave RP and slavery in the World of Warcraft.
As we all know, there have been some slave auctions recently in Booty Bay. At that auction, all slaves were sold…
…and then released.
There are a few things I'd like to address about this.
1). I think it's a tad stupid that there were enough do-gooders there with the gold to buy all the slaves just to set them free.
2). I find it very unlikely that there would be -that- many do-gooders in BB period. Especially considering that BB is effectively a pirate port, run by the Steamwheedle Cartel. Both are known for being evil. While BB is a neutral town, that only counts for the Horde/Alliance relation. In fact, it is the -last- place a paladin or any such holy light weilder would want to go.
3). Booty Bay ICly has a strong slave trade. Hell, goblins are okay with people walking around with slaves in broad daylight. BB is probably the worst place for people who hate slavers and slavery to go. It's a damn haven for them.

Now then. The main thing is that there is no logical reason for a slave trade to go on in BB and have all the slaves sold and released. One or two slaves? Yea, probably. Three? Maybe. Four? Pushing it. Anything above that is just stupid.

Also, slavers don't care who buys the slaves, as long as they are bought. Whether you'd like it or not, but buying the slave gives the slavers money. No matter –how- you cut it. Releasing the slaves won't do much good either. Especially in or near the town. The slavers will just recapture them.

Truth be told? It doesn't make sense. No matter how you cut it. Where would these characters get all this gold anyways? The drain on their finances must be staggering to afford such things. Slaves aren't cheap. Booty Bay isn't a nice place for the do-gooders. And releasing the slaves is just setting them up to be enslaved, again.

Also, it should be noted that some people want their characters enslaved for a while. While some may not, that can easily be found out after the fact.

Now… What are your thoughts on this whole thing?
Prolly should be good to ask in general or PM if said person wants to be freed after being bought and such. It is kinda eh when you want a certain thrill and you don't get it because everything has to end in a morally good way.

And while slavery and tragedy may be cliche things for some people it's fun, so they may want that sort of rp :B
Well, when it comes to finacial. I believe some of our characters have a good amount of gold. But to buy all of them, from do-gooders. Wow I mean, my paladin would never set foot in BB. Unless someone was asking him to. It's not like BB is a place for people that pray to the light.

I mean if it was there would be a cathedral or something. Yes a Cathedral run by goblins, how crazy does that sound? Anyways I know slave RP is very tragic, but it's only bad if, only one party agrees and the other is forced into that type of RP. Other than that, it can provide GREAT character development. So yeah I believe BB needs to be realistic.

No more roaming paladins that want everything good. Nuetral or not, I say it should be realistic.

That's my opinion.
When Awak was on the rampage back in the di-zay, and he would sell his slaves to goblins (RP'd by GMs) for upwards of two-hundred gold for a battle ready character. Others, such as people who could heal, would go for around a hundred gold. I highly doubt the average character could afford a single slave, much less more than one. Even if they -could- afford said slave, they would most likely be able to afford it because the slave would be doing it's work. Tossing out a hundred gold in charity is ridiculous when a few copper coins will buy you a large frothing mug of fresh ale.
I don't believe a Paladin would be able to afford buying a slave, unless he or she came from a rich family because for as far as I'm aware, Paladins do not have a steady income. It's not like they're paid by the Church to do what they do, I think most Paladins would probably earn their living from bounties or the kindness of people they've helped. This would'nt exactly add up to the fairly high cost of a slave imo.
Quite. If paladins are anything like the knights of medieval times (which they are) then they wouldn't even be allowed to take rewards from the people that they help. If they're the more priest-ly type of paladin, they'd probably follow a code more akin to the monastic Rule of Saint Benedict, which also says that one can't take reward from someone they have helped. Their only pay is through food kindly given to them, or by selling their wares.

This system however, is based on the feudal system, where a knight would also be granted a plot of land which is where they would obtain all their money. Paladins aren't given portions of fiefs however, so they may take bounties if they see it morally sound.
I sort of agree with what you are saying here but I'd like to purpose a change of angle on the issue and RP mentioned.

Slavery RP ranges further than capture and selling; I'd myself be OOCly hesitant towards buying a slave cause I expect that either the person wants to get sold on in a time or wants to flee, cause that is what I'd want when RPing a slave.
This part is key so I will stay on the subject. Not only need you have a bigger picture but you have to roleplay a bigger picture too. If that is done the whole concept of slave RP will become much more interesting and fun for all parts, and especially the slaves. All this roleplay will automatically open the eyes of possible buyers and the antagonists of the trade.

Perhaps a slaver avoids having an open slavetrade in the middle of Booty Bay the same day he noticed a paladin in the tavren.
Yus. Paladin's wouldnt actually get paid, as all their equipment, and food, is provided by the church. They would likely have a very limited allowance fo money to survive on when outside the city, but even then, 99% would likely have the attitude that saving those in need is reward enough. KInda irk's me when people seem to have money ingame to just fritter away on a whim without considering who or what they are. Your average deathknight, for instance, isnt likely to have a bagfull of gold handy, as a good few people would refuse to even trade with them, let alone employ them. They would likely have to eek out a survival on whatever gold they can get their hands on as outcasts, so freeing slaves is a luxuary they could not afford.

The only other explaination i see often for money characters who have a conveniently large inheritence. But if your character is that wealthy, what on earth are they doing hanging around in booty bay? It's full or pirates and theives and commoners, and you would be mugged in an instant or held for ransom if someone knew you had money. With great money, comes great responciblilty. If you had a large inheritance in this world, but acted like a free-spirit, hanging around in pirate ports and not earning that inheritance, you would likely be leveraged out of it, or not be the person the money would be given to in the first place. It would likely have been handed to a more responcible owner.

Anyway, on slavery, just, don't buy slaves to free them. Its ridiculous. To a real world equivalent, its probably about 10 slaves to the cost of a house, and who really would carry that kinda money around for the sole purpose of freeing total strangers. And if they are in that situation, they agreed to it ooc, so its clear they wanted this rp to be interesting, and most likely won't be gratefull for being freed, even if it seems like the "good" thing.

And the goblins would easilly protect open trade from one paladin d-gooder trying to ruin business ;)
I would love to pursue a slave situation roleplay, with the right person. Inevitably people are going to have their characters try and interfere on every level though, if I put my character and their slave in a public place. It's limiting... you either RP with just the two of you and a group who might condone of it, or you get the situation turned on its head in public with very dire consequences for your character.

Perhaps it would help for justice and peace type characters to make a concerted effort to OOCly ask whether their bountiful services are at all desired? Just a thought.
A question, what happens to the branding (is that the right term?) that's made on the slave after getting captured, once he's released?
It's interesting how many people in Booty Bay still seem to be so unaware of some things they do. I totally agree with the fact that buying someone just like that, and release them right away. The chances of them being captured again should be.. Pretty high.

Other than that, after seeing how much they charge the slaves for. 50 gold on avarage? Is a little much.. Ofcourse, it's totally understandable. But I don't just see any character just buying them to be released.
Some things to consider:

A one-dimensional slave that will run if freed might not always work consider the following:
a. A slave with Stockholm syndrome - would return to the slaver
B. A slave that is evil and would stalk, rob or kill his releaser
C. The slave might not be a slave at all. It may just be a scam to fleece the dogooders
D. Though its legal to trade slaves in bb, consider taking a more blackmarket type approach. Perhaps as a slaver you would prefer to sell only to shady customers.

As for slave rp, I would hope that these are real, established characters who are being sold and not just an alt that was pulled from thin air. I would love to have randian buy one provided that;
1. The rp is long term
2. The character is established.
3. The slave character is compatible - ie. Has the right mindset etc...

What might work is totake orders then hunt one down.
Ie. Make an x gold deposit, hunt one meeting the right description, complete the transaction.

Lastly, I don't think attacking the validity of the do-gooder's rp is the best way to approach this. Let them do what they would... Just learn to work with them.
If you are a slaver and see that some one-dimensional goodies are coming then perhaps have a buddy prepare to follow them and get the slaves back when freed.
Miah Wrote:Your average deathknight, for instance, isnt likely to have a bagfull of gold handy, as a good few people would refuse to even trade with them, let alone employ them.

My Death Knight had a bag of 800 gold... chocolate doubloons from Hallow's end! ;) har har

Also for those asking if 50 gold is a fair price for a slave, I do think it is, but it's only because of a real world comparison. However, I just don't really want to elaborate on it because it's a rather sensitive issue, so I'll just keep it at this: they are expensive because they function as unpaid labor for many years after the purchase.
I definitely agree with you, Binkleheimer. When Fala was on auction as a slave, I had him hissing and generally making it clear that he wouldn't submit to whoever bought him, in the hope that he wouldn't be sold. However, he ended up being bought anyway and set free.

As for slavers capturing other chars, I'd definitely recommend making sure that all chars being captured are willing to be a part of slave RP, at least in the short term. I think on the particular day when Fala was auctioned, all were bought with the intention of being set free, and it seems highly unlikely that this would happen in Booty Bay, of all places.
In Warcraft, 1 gold does not equate to 1 dollar. 1 gold is a lot of money. I don't want to say its 100$, because I believe it is more than that. Paying 40g for something is like paying thousands of dollars, I do believe. That may be wrong, and it probably is, but all I know is, a gold is a lot of money, slaves 90% of the time won't be over 20g, and 20g is a hell of a lot of money.
Pages: 1 2 3