Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Question about being blind.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I was thinking about making my character Coriv "blind" when he gets rezzed (if he does).
Not really blind, but rather imposing as blind for personal reasons.

If you wore a blindfold all the time, like a blind man - would your senses increase?
I do "know" a blind boy, and blind people seem to have some senses that people with vision doesn't have (increased hearing, smell, taste and if they hit the ground with a cane - they can hear where everything is, pretty much like a bat).

How long time would it take to get increased senses?
Years. Humans are oriented by sigh from birth, and only with the loss of our primary sense do our other senses evolve. You -can- increase the other senses efficiency by wearing a blindfold at all times, but it does take years for it to reach the effect you want.
The idea that senses "evolve" or grow to super strength is a myth. What does happen is you become more focused with those senses. You're still hearing (or smelling, or touching) the same amount of stuff at the same distance, you can just differentiate it better.
Honestly...

I don't think any of us would know.

I do know there was an account from a blind woman though who said that she couldn't automatically recognize people by voice and it'd be polite to tell who she is talking to.

And I didn't think the walking stick was used in the sense of echo-location, I thought it was more as a measuring stick.

Finally there have been some people who used echo-location while blind. I do remember reading the account of a blind man who rode bikes, he clicked his tongue, but I do not think this was a talent that was mastered quite easily.

While the other senses do increase a bit, but the feats that they do, like being able to get around and do echolocation, probably comes from practice is what I am saying.
the myth that blind people can use echo locating is just that. A myth. Blind people aren't Dare Devil. I know there was a boy that also used tongue clicking, but he had been practicing since he was just a boy.
So if I made my character blind, how long time would it take for him IC to get better at this other senses(or you know, get more focused on them)
None of us really know, Jurkey. We're telling you that most of the things you hear about blind people are somewhat misconceptions.
Really, the maximum a blind person can get out of echolocation is the ability not to walk into walls near them. Or big objects. But its likely that even with echolocation, they couldn't tell what was in their way, only that there is something there.

And unless your making a character who was blind from birth, they are gonna be totally dependant on someone else. Totally. Being blind is a horrible thing, and without help, in a world like warcraft, they just wouldn't be able to fend for themselves without constant help.
Here's a short piece on echolocation. But having given that, I'd advise you against playing a blind character. They are amazingly open for abuse and misrepresentation, even unintentional.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/07/0 ... ation.html
I had a character who was blind after being ressed. For a while I just had him walking into walls and walking around cautiously with his hands out in front of him. After a while your character would come up with methods to figure out how to get by, whether it be tapping a staff in front of him or herself to even just staying in a certain location where they know where certain things are placed.
Alright, thanks for the feedback.
Actually he wasn't going to BE blind, just pretending. 'Might drop the idea though.
Jurkey Wrote:If you wore a blindfold all the time, like a blind man - would your senses increase?
Just to note, wearing a blindfold to try and look blind would be insane. YOU ARE ALREADY BLIND; YE KNOW?!
Don't ruin it Taelyn D:
Else Jethan will eat you :3
The only reason I'd see for a blindfold is that he pretends to be partially blind and is bothered by light in general.

EDIT; And I ain't Tae-boi.... that's teege.
Pages: 1 2