Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: OOC Guild Names
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hmm.

Back then we used to get chewed if we had even the slightest OOC hint in our guild names.

But now I can see a plethora of them in the Account Management page.

As seemingly harmless as it may appear.

It's a blemish on the server that makes me irk.

Did we just go PVP?

I hope that dear CoTH did not!
I know. These should be banned, it's getting annoying.
That reminds me, I saw some guild named <Character Warning>. Do I need to be taking that as a cue that anyone in that guild is always playing... er, RP-PVP, as it were? (As in, if I RP with them, I am on character warning at all times)? Or is this another example of OOC guild-naming?
You are under character warning at all times with them.
Essentially.
^.~ That's a good thing to scare people off, I'll run at first sight of them from now on. *snicker*

Any-ho, I haven't actually noticed any in-game OOC guild names. Perhaps that's because I've been gone for a bit, but are things truly that gruesome? :o
Coincidentally enough, this was something I commented on in Vent yesterday. This, coupled with the rampant lack of common sense people have been showing when talking about inappropriate topics in public channels, has been rather aggravating lately.

Oh, and WB, Kainue-nub!
Kretol Wrote:Coincidentally enough, this was something I commented on in Vent yesterday. This, coupled with the rampant lack of common sense people have been showing when talking about inappropriate topics in public channels, has been rather aggravating lately.

Oh, and WB, Kainue-nub!

Thank you for the welcome back, old friend.

Though I never really do leave this place, thus you ever do see a "Goodbye" thread from me.

I just ninja-log for days and days on end. Haha.

And I am glad you are taking notice to this as well.

Some people may see it as "oh, a harmless joke. L2chill Kainue!"

But if anything, CoTH was built around rules and regulations, etc. I would not like it to stray from that at all.
I don't really like the idea of even having a guild called "Character Warning" running around. Sometimes, you can't avoid RP. What if they approach you first? Do you just run? That wouldn't fit your character at all, but replying would put you at risk.
Unfortunately for some, this falls under the category of "Life isn't fair".
Besides, they don't exactly wantonly slaughter everyone. In fact, most of their ambushes give newcomers plenty time to flee.
But yea. You can't always have happyhug, lightheart RP.
Sometimes, evil happens, people die, etc. etc.
I've seen a few too. Kinda destroys the mood?
Not to call anyone out and just using an example, but I remember one called <IS HERE> that was kind of distracting.
I don't mind it, as long as it serves a genuine purpose, or isn't something you would see on retail. Examples of ones I don't mind.

-Character warning-
Because it's a group sharing their same style of roleplay as a community.

-Band of brothers- (not real, just an example
This is the kind of group that only group for ooc social reasons, their character's may not actually be allied, but the guildname follows policies, and if they want to keep the guild OOC, but the RP IC, i have no issue with it.

Examples of ones I dont like.

"ROFLSTOMPERS!"
The kind of one you see on retail. Just distracting when you see them over the head of a character, and kinda pointless on a rollplaying server.

"The awesome"
Just..silly really. If you make a guild to give yourself a title such as your prestige, or "The noble" "The buisnessman" "The Homeless", that kinda thing, its ok, but if you kinda describe the character in it, or do it for the lols, it just shouldn't be out there for every RP'r to see.

All i say is, I don't think guild in Coth should -have- to be IC, but they should also be done in a way that wont detract from the roleplaying experience.
I think this is one of those cases where debating will get us nowhere. Perhaps we could use some official guidelines on guild names?
We discussed this some last night, and I believe it came out that title guilds (Such as <Demon Hunter> or such) are fine. OOC Guild tags are not, though we had turned a blind eye on the few that were around before.

To follow up with this I will be kicking those in the <Character Warning> guild and disbanding it since, while it did have an actual purpose for the tag, its been going around pretty freely.

So yarp.
...Then might I propose that a rule be created, where all 'guilds' must be named after an IC group. Like we can't have the 'Crusaders of Azeroth' group have their guild named 'Character Warning', for example. Their guild must represent the group's name.

Something I thought of is groups that have inner groups within them. Say a corporation that mostly works for donations, but on the inside, actually has a secondary group that are covert assassins. Well, they would just be attached to the 'mother' corporation, and thus their guild name would reflect that.

Say the 'Crusaders of Azeroth' have a sect of assassins that call themselves 'Assassins of Azeroth', but are very much still part of the Crusaders. Well, then they would be part of the Crusaders main guild, and would not need to make a whole 'nother guild.

So your cabal of Warlocks can be in a guild named 'Priests of Azeroth' as long as they masquerade as Priests, or rather...they're somehow attached to the guild name.

Basically, just make it so the guild name has something to do with the characters within it. Yeah...I'm bad at explaining things.

Regarding 'personal guilds', the ones where it's 'The X'. Your title must relate to a title, class, or social standing. You cannot be 'The Badass'. You can be 'The Archmage' or 'The Steamwarrior' though, as long as you allow others to join said guild should they acquire those titles.

A sound plan?
I...don't quite understand why that's being done Rigley? D:
Pages: 1 2