Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So.

I was wondering.

I had this RP idea, of a person, that has a highly better than average IQ. Like, he would realize certain things faster, and be able to memorize things easier than most. Of course there'd be "side-effects" to it as well. But telling you about the person isn't what this thread is about, it's about asking if having a high IQ is "OP".

Would anyone consider this OP or meta-gamy in any sort of way?
...I can't imagine intelligence ever quite being a problem.

I play a character with an eidetic memory, and over the past year there has never been an occasion where someone showed discomfort over it.
LostStranger Wrote:...I can't imagine intelligence ever quite being a problem.

Well, to some it might. I think. This is the internet, anything can happen.
Azheron Wrote:
LostStranger Wrote:...I can't imagine intelligence ever quite being a problem.

Well, to some it might. I think. This is the internet, anything can happen.
Someone along the way will find a problem with it.
Just don't be as intelligent as this guy, and we're cool.

Spoiler:
Name: Dr. Spencer Perlis, S.M., N.E., Ph.D., Sc.D.
Alias: Ionic-Man
Nicknames: Ionic, Ion, Doc, The Doctor, Doc Perlis, Spence, Spency
Group Affiliation: Paragon University, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft, American Physical Society, American Institute of Physics, American Nuclear Society, American Association for the Advancement of Science, Mensa International, Pi Society, GenerIQ Society, Samiel Dayne Industries, Ltd.
Powers: Genius-Level Intellect, Ionized Radiation Generation and Manipulation, Nuclear Potential Energy Generation and Manipulation, Flight
Source of Powers: Science (Nuclear Containment Breach)
Race: Human
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 187lbs.
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Date of Birth: June 27, 1977
Place of Birth: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Residence: Apartment 1523, 15th Floor, Lobelia Row Apartments, Steel Canyon, Paragon City, Rhode Island
Family: David Perlis (Father), Dr. Jennifer Perlis (Mother), Derek Perlis (Brother)
Motivation: Dr. Perlis has always believed in using science and developments in the field for the betterment of mankind. Thus, upon the aftermath of the containment breach and discovery of his abilities, he has decided he would use the "science" that is his abilities to better humanity.
Enemies: Doctor Wormhole (Dr. Bryan Trevor), Crey Industries, Freakshow, Council, Arachnos
Hobbies: Research, Studying, Reading, Cooking, Art History, Violin, Literature
Dislikes: Insensitivity, Prejudice, Excessive Arrogance, Cockiness, Braggarts
Favorite Food: Seafood, particularly squid and octopus.
Favorite Drink: Wine, particularly French, Italian, and Argentinean wines.
Favorite Color: Green
Misc. Quirks: Dr. Perlis will often calculate his various formulas aloud, often to the annoyance of those around him. He has learned to be cautious when in the presence of those not of a scientific mind, but when alone or in the lab, the habit remains.

When asked a question that requires some form of a scientific explanation, Dr. Perlis will often overly describe the various details that would pertain to the answer. He often catches himself in the middle of these explanations and apologizes to the person whom he is speaking. However, other scientists often find his detailed explanations beneficial to their knowledge. It is the less scientifically inclined who often find his explanations potentially annoying.

Background Summary: Dr. Spencer Perlis was born on June 27, 1977 to David Perlis, a violinist with the Philadelphia Orchestra, and Dr. Jennifer Perlis, a zoologist and ethologist at the Philadelphia Zoo and Adjunct Professor at the University of Pennsylvania. A scientific prodigy, Dr. Perlis graduated from high school at age 11 and was accepted into the five-year Nuclear Science and Engineering program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Upon graduating summa cum laude with both a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree at age 16, Dr. Perlis enrolled in the Nuclear Engineer program at MIT. At age 18, he graduated with a Nuclear Engineer degree. Wishing to even further his education, Dr. Perlis enrolled in the Physics doctorate program at the California Institute of Technology, receiving a Doctor of Philosophy in Nuclear Physics. Encouraged by his advising professor at MIT, Dr. Aaron Ford, Dr. Perlis returned to MIT to pursue a second doctorate degree in Nuclear Science and Engineering. After three years of intense study, Dr. Perlis was awarded his Doctor of Science in Nuclear Science and Engineering.

Already renowned for his contributions to the American Physical Society, the American Institute of Physics, and the American Nuclear Society for his work and developments in both linear and circular particle accelerators while conducting his postgraduate research, Dr. Perlis was approached by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Dr. Perlis accepted a contract with the NRC to develop a series of particle accelerators that would be used for testing on materials discovered in the South Pacific and former Soviet states that had been exposed to radiation. In addition to developing the accelerators, Dr. Perlis was permitted to oversee the research and document the findings for personal use.

When Dr. Perlis was 29, he was contracted to develop a new particle accelerator for the NRC at the Diablo Canyon Power Plant in Avila Beach, California. While working on the accelerator, a young intern miscalculated the intensity of the bare atomic nuclei beam to be used for a test run. When the accelerator was turned on, the high intensity resulted in a containment breach. Anticipating the outcome, Dr. Perlis ordered his interns and lab assistants to leave and he stayed behind in an attempt to disengage the accelerator. Unable to escape after failed attempts at shutting down the machine, Dr. Perlis was exposed to the high-intensity nuclei beam. Rather than die, as he should have, Dr. Perlis survived the accident. After some months of emotional recovery, Dr. Perlis discovered that he could generate and manipulate ionized radiation and nuclear potential energy. He later discovered his ability to fly by manipulating the ions in his body.

Aware of the superheroes active in the Rhode Island city of Paragon, Dr. Perlis saw how his new powers could benefit mankind, just as his science had done in the past. Dr. Perlis applied for a teaching position at Paragon University and he was immediately accepted, the university overjoyed to employ someone of his reputation. Dr. Perlis moved to Paragon City and began both teaching and fighting crime under the heroic moniker of Ionic-Man.

Dr. Perlis soon discovered the use of his powers causes his body to generate high amounts of radiation that could prove lethal to innocents. He was able to develop a synthetic, ionized leather held together by triweave fibers that acted as a nuclear containment suit. This allowed him to use his powers without risk to innocents. However, he does not need to wear his suit when not using his powers, as he does not actively emit radiation.

Dr. Perlis has recently accepted a position with Samiel Dayne Industries under its Wolfcry Division, a privately-funded hero group based out of the SDI Building in Skyway City. In addition to acting as a hero, Dr. Perlis continues his position as Adjunct Professor of Nuclear Physics, Nuclear Engineering, and Theoretical Physics at Paragon University, as well as frequent contracts with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

Personality Summary: Analytical, curious, and highly intellectual, Dr. Perlis is always willing to discover and learn new things, whether it be in a scientific field or anything else that he may find interesting. Dr. Perlis does not flaunt his intelligence, nor is he arrogant about it. In fact, he highly dislikes those who are arrogant and flaunt their abilities. He firmly believes that intelligence should be used to benefit all of mankind, not just the person who holds the intelligence. He is also a very accepting man and has been since childhood. Now, however, he is even more so, as he has been exposed to so many different individuals possessing superhuman abilities.

Appearance Summary: When outside of his containment suit, Dr. Perlis tends to wear practical clothing appropriate for a man of his position. He often wears a sweater or jacket overtop a button-down shirt, accompanied by a pair of jeans and comfortable shoes. He keeps his hair relatively long, but nicely kept. He also has a close-cropped goatee. He likes to wear a watch, as he has a habit of overworking himself when involved with an intense study, experiment, or research project.

Powers Summary: Dr. Perlis has the ability to generate ionized radiation and manipulate it into various beams and blasts that can be emitted from his hands or eyes. In addition to ionized radiation, Dr. Perlis can also harness nuclear potential energy and manipulate the energy to be emitted from his hands and increase the potency of his other abilities. By manipulating the ions in his body, Dr. Perlis has the ability to fly.

Special Equipment: Dr. Perlis' self-made costume is constructed of synthetic, ionized leather held together by triweave fibers that acts as a containment suit to prevent the radiation his body emits during the use of his powers from harming innocent civilians.

Special Skills: Dr. Perlis possesses a genius-level intellect and was a prodigy as a child. Having an !Q of 197, Dr. Perlis is able to read nearly 15,000 words per minute and can calculate even the most difficult of mathematical equations and formulas in a matter of seconds or minutes, depending on the complexity. He is able to perform these calculations entirely in his mind, without the need of a written equation or calculator.

Dr. Perlis possesses an eidetic memory. Dr. Perlis can recall images he has observed and facts he has read with near perfect accuracy and in an abundant volume. Although those who possess an eidetic memory have been known to be able to recall sounds with perfect accuracy, Dr. Perlis' memory is more attuned to recall images and facts.

Although his speciality is nuclear physics and nuclear engineering, Dr. Perlis has an ample knowledge of the other sciences and mathematics. His knowledge includes biology, biochemistry, biophysics, zoology, chemistry, inorganic chemistry, materials science, nuclear chemistry, organic chemistry, polymer chemistry, physical chemistry, quantum chemistry, astronomy, astrobiology, astrophysics, atomic, optical, and molecular physics, electricity and magnetism, computational physics, condensed matter physics, cryogenics, dynamics, electronics, fluid dynamics, geophysics, material physics, mathematical physics, optics, particle physics, plasma physics, polymer physics, quantum physics, solid state physics, theoretical physics, thermodynamics, algebra, analysis, probability theory, geometry and topology, trigonometry, number theory, logic and foundations of mathematics, applied mathematics, electrical engineering, and polymer engineering.
Playing a very intelligent character wouldn't be overpowered, as it is a part of his personality. (I believe)
Nah. But I must warn you. Playing a character with a an extremely high intellect is very hard unless you're a genius yourself. I have a character with eidetic memory as well and. . .It's hard.
I was actually thinking the same thing as Roxas. You have to do alot on work, getting alot of knowledge on the same stuff that your character, and really think your responses/emotes through.
Eidetic memory is the hardest. Your character has to remember -everything.- Which means you have to take notes of even the simplest things.
And that's what I'm going to try to do.

I'll see if I do it.