Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Oh, hi.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Oh hi der. I've already got an intro pending review, so I apologize if posting here is a breach of protocol or something; I didn't see any mention in the rules about this. More or less, I just wanted to extend my greetings in a more conversational manner, and maybe bounce character ideas and stuff off you guys before I get started.

I've browsed over a few forum topics and RP threads, and for the most part, I really like what I see: Quality of writing is far above average RP, even on retail, and I like how the review system helps weed out "omg i r haff demon and is pregnant with arthes and illydens baby omfg"-Sues and Stus.

I see a few conventions that I don't quite recognize, though. Booty Bay seems to have an unusually high level of organization--I even noticed a threat cautioning people to not hang around the Trade Prince like they're his groupies, and I've noted posts on organized PC slavery and so on and so forth. Somebody mentioned that they got to become a Night Elf Paladin, and I think I saw a screenshot of a Death Knight with eyes glowing green. From this I take that approved character ideas and proposals may result in modifications to a particular character, within reason. Is my assessment accurate?

Also, I noted a resurrection forum. What I take from this is that obviously resurrection is acknowledged IC and is not considered just a gameplay-and-story-segregation gimmick. I also noticed that all the resurrection posts I read had a list of drawbacks, temporary and permanent. Is this an elective that more serious RPers take for character development, or a requirement? Also, in what context is a resurrection thread made? I can only assume that every death in PvE leveling or raiding (if that's even done here) wouldn't count, so perhaps player-vs-player duels or IC preplanned fights? Dice rolls? Or just something the players agree on?

Also, I typically roleplay as a Draenei Shadow Priest. I realize that certain communities take a more purist approach to the issue of the Draenei faith, and such players are required to keep secrets IC, avoid Exodar, or other similar measures. How are Shadow Priests viewed in this in-character community, and what measures will I need to take to play one convincingly?

Once again, I do apologize if there is a sticky on this; I didn't see one. I also like to ask questions directly to a community, as it gives me a better feel for them and permits a more conversational approach to learning. Thank you for your time.
Quote:Also, I noted a resurrection forum. What I take from this is that obviously resurrection is acknowledged IC and is not considered just a gameplay-and-story-segregation gimmick. I also noticed that all the resurrection posts I read had a list of drawbacks, temporary and permanent. Is this an elective that more serious RPers take for character development, or a requirement? Also, in what context is a resurrection thread made? I can only assume that every death in PvE leveling or raiding (if that's even done here) wouldn't count, so perhaps player-vs-player duels or IC preplanned fights? Dice rolls? Or just something the players agree on?
I'll let some one else dwelve into the others, but I'll catch you up on this topic. Resurrection is only required for IC death, such as a PvP /roll or trust fight, or an organized /roll PvE fight. You may ressurect one week after death, but you must have a ressurection post, and of course some one to ressurect you. There is more on it throughout the forum but I thought I'd save you the trouble of finding it. I also am too lazy to find the topic itself to post a link.
Oh, uhm... Salutations to you, too.

You lost me for a bit with the "Night Elf Paladin" and such, but I will assure you that that probably isn't what's to be going on with the custom DisplayID stuff.

My huggable if apathetic friend above me means what he says, the resurrection subforum is only for IC deaths.

Finally, Shadow Priests are heavily frowned upon if not condemned. You should expect at best a bitter welcome from your fellow Draenei. Additionally, while I'm sure you have fathomed a very compelling reason for your Drae's choice of lifestyle, I suggest you comprehensively understand how and why they got into presumably forbidden texts.

EDIT: Derp, yes, character mods are given with concrete and compelling arguments for them, but I am under the belief that the staff has a policy of tentative reluctance; particularly, I'd assume, for newcomers.
Thanks for the quick responses, both of you. For a moment, I was a little concerned about the rez threads: I thought it might indicate a sort of free-for-all PK environment like in older RPGs.

LostStranger Wrote:...Shadow Priests are heavily frowned upon if not condemned. You should expect at best a bitter welcome from your fellow Draenei. Additionally, while I'm sure you have fathomed a very compelling reason for your Drae's choice of lifestyle, I suggest you comprehensively understand how and why they got into presumably forbidden texts.

Excellent; this is exactly what I was looking for. I understand that Draenei Priests barely acknowledge the existence and use of shadow-based spells--a Priest trainer in Exodar mentions shadow as a necessity if memory serves--but you've largely cleared this up for me. I am considering making my character a fugitive or exile (possible a self-imposed one.)

Her primary reasons for engaging in such forbidden arts would probably be due to her relative youth (Draenei don't really keep track of age) combined with an unusually pragmatic mindset. Add disillusionment with the "Incorruptible Pure Pureness" ideology of her Draenei peers, add exposure to some particularly charismatic scientists (likely gnomes) and possibly Warlocks, and I think I might have myself a nice little backstory.

It might all begin rather innocuously; mind sooth, mind vision--all used in somewhat pacifistic ways; violence is only to be used as an absolute last resort, of course. Then maybe using mind control to force a situation, and eventually "popping the cherry" so to speak and coming to see violence as simply an efficient way to solve problems, and shadow the most efficient way to cause violence.

She might linger in the True Neutral zone for awhile, before becoming an actual "good guy" again; given my propensity for immersion-RP, I'll have to get a little experience with the pre-planned stuff.
Welcome ^^

Don't worry so much, we still are much a LARP, so pretty much a lot of stuff isn't actually planned in advance. At most we have events. :)
Welcome good friend. It's nice to see more people coming here.
Thanks very much indeed. I always like feeling welcomed. :D