Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Death Knights of the Scourge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before I play a character, I like to look as deep into the lore about their race and class as possible, as I assume many others of you do. I like to pride myself on knowledge of lore, but hey... We all get rusty, eh? Any way, before I go off on a tangent about my lack of a good memory, I'd just like to pose a question to the lot of you here on CotH concerning Death Knights.

I know that there are currently three different generations. The first being created via placing the souls of warlocks into human bodies... But I'm more concerned about the second and third generation Death Knights, which I'll just refer to as Death Knights from this point onward, leaving out the first generation.

The problem that I'm having is, is seeing the difference between the so called second and third 'generation Death Knights. There seems to be no solid lore differences between the two that I can find, actually... Quite the contrary what with Thassarian being a 'second gen,' while also being a major member of the Ebon Blade. He doesn't really appear to be different from the rest of the death knights at the Ebon Hold in any way, shape, or form.

Along with this, the description for a second generation knight is a 'malevolent, rune-wielding warrior of the scourge created by the lich king'. Seeing as how in the starting zone, the first person you come in contact with is in fact the lich king, and the first quest you are sent on is to forge a rune blade... They seem to fit all these criteria. The only real difference between the Ebon Blade, and past Death Knights of the Scourge, is that they were created en masse for a sole purpose. Yet, they were still created in exactly the same way...
I think it's more that the Second Gens were mo- Scratch that.
There is no real difference in being made.
just that one has been around longer.

Though, the Second Gens might have better runeweapons and indirectly better powers?
A Third Generation are much weaker then Second Generation as they were mass produced. Plus, the Second Generation Death Knights were made up solely of Fallen Paladins, as far as I can see.
Second gens have vampiric runeblades that feast upon the souls of the people they murder in cold-blood, I believe.
Taking that into consideration...

I don't see anywhere that says third generation DKs -don't- have vampiric runeblades. Once again, the closest thing to information on this that I have is from the starting zones, where the quests say if you don't kill something soon, then you'll be in an immeasurable amount of pain. Seeing as how you don't ever actually touch a person in a sword fight, I'd say that it would be the blade which is 'forcing' you into this action.
Nope, DK's have an endless hunger for murder. At least third gens do.
Vampiric Runeblades are the strongest Runeblades you can find. a Third Generation DK would not possibly have one in their possession unless it came to them through strange circumstances. But, your average Third Generation DK wouldn't have one, at all.

Frostmorne is an example of a Vampiric Runeblade, it takes the souls of the ones it kills.