Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Elves, those skinny fellows living up there in North!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I guess, first I should state that I'm not an Anti-Elf guy, I agree that a little part of their lore is really interesting, I had a great fun while playing a Blood Knight.

But since I read the Lord of the Rings back in mid school, Elves always have been my least favorite fantastic race (Uruk-Hai, Dwarves and Rohirrim were my favorite). They always annoyed me with their arrogance, appearence and in WoW, with their voice.

I see why people likes Elves, they are beautiful, kind, intelligent etc. But I don't understand how come they became the most played race of the whole game. Can anybody explain me what I am missing about Elves, or is there something that a barbarian lad can't understand? I keep asking this question to my friends, but didn't get any clear answers yet.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3w85vYdf-Q[/youtube]
Ogodwai the eyyyyes!
Because they look good. ( Steriotypically, though i myself dont really like em all that much :P )
I only really like forest-prone elves, because they are barbarians and survivalists. I'm not a fan of city-elves though.
Yes, I agree. Those Forest/Wood/Nature Elves are cool, but fancy pancy Mage/Noble/Other fancy stuff Elves are irritating.

...I can't belive that Trolls transformed into something as hideous as BElves... Loljk. Idunnoooo. I have RPd as like, 2 Elves so far. Both where as fancy pancy as one could be, always rambling about their hair and clothes etc. It was kind of fun, actually. c: Though, I do dislike them as a race. (BElves, not all Elves.)
I tend to like WoW elves because they're pretty much anything but nice, fluffy, and friendly as a whole. I generally don't like elves is most other series.
Also they're hot. I like hot.
I enjoy RPing their culture.
:3

Mainly, I enjoy the entire lore of the Quel'dorei and the Sin'dorei greatly. I might be bias since I'm also a Kael'thas fanboy, but /shrug.

I love the Blood Knights, I always wanted to play a spell breaker and that was about as close as I could get. Plus, they are overall BA. I mean, Light wielding plated elves. Plus, they are about as close as players can get to a guard.

I also enjoy the nobles, the back stabbing and behind closed door deals. A lot of politics involved.

The Rangers and Farstriders, I haven't made one yet, but they are pretty down to earth from what I read and seen. They seem alright.

The only thing I don't like about elves, and I'll harp about this forever, is that the ones that -aren't- loyal to a Blood Elf faction, and that spent most of their days along other races, mostly Alliance ones.

90% of Quel'dorei died in the Arthas attack, that means even fewer Blood Elves since there is an entire High Elf faction in Dalaran. They simply -don't- have the numbers to have their kind spread out all over the world.

So... That's just my view point. If you're not involved with any of the major factions of Sin'dorei, while being one, then it doesn't make too much sense. Most Sin'dorei aren't going to try and save the world, they're going to be more worried about their own race getting completely wiped out.

/end rant
HERESY!! Burn the witch Liamsi for even consdiering comparing Tolkien's elven with those of Warcraft. Burn like sulphur in hell!!

I blame anime, for some reason the thing and longeared elves appear everywhere in anime and manga. Even in worlds where there are no elves. And Xigo has a point, culture-wise they are kinda great especially when it comes to kal'dorei. Just a pity that does not show on CotH.
I love Elves because all of my ideas just seem to fit with them for some reason. (I have a lot of elves)

Plus, I don't like humans because of their huge arms, it just looks too freaky for me.
I've had fun playing a Sin'dorei a long time ago during the whole sin'sholai event before the restart, which was pretty epic. You can really have fun with the paranoid, spoiled xenophobic elves, but it's been a long time since I've had some good Sin'dorei rp. Personally, my elf would never go to a lowly backwater like BB...
Arright. I guess I see the point.

ps: That video is awesome. The part between 0:45 and 0:50 made me laugh out loud.
First off: Cripes, -another- Elf-hate thread? This is the fifth we've had in a couple of weeks, I think.

Secondly, Humans outnumber both kinds of Elves on CoTH. If there's any race I'm peeved at being overplayed, it's Humans.

Thirdly, and here come my two :silver: , I personally find both kinds of elves in Warcraft very, very interesting. From the utilitarian, mystical, wise savages that the Kaldorei are, to the Sin'dorei that can go nearly any way imaginable. Both races have amazing Lore - The problem is that not everyone chooses to follow it.

Let's take Blood Elves, for instance... I'll give two completely opposing examples of individuals of their race. Take a Liadrin or Voren'thal-type Blood Elf. One completely dedicated to the Naaru, seeing the chandelier people from outer space as the salvation of their race, and can be pretty okay with Draenei. Why? Because the Prophet Velen, leader of the Draenei, was the one to reignite the Sunwell with the heart of a Naaru, helping the Blood Elves out more than any other race in Warcraft history - Save possibly the Naaru themselves.

The second, and opposing example to this is the Rommath-type. A true -Blood- Elf. Anyone remember the 'The blood of my people calls out for vengeance. Which would mean twice as much blood, or maybe three times as much blood, as if you went to Hell, and it was full of blood, and it was raining blood, and that blood was on fire - Maybe that would be enough blood... then again, maybe not.' quote? I'd attribute it to the Warlocks. The Sin'dorei hate the Burning Legion with a fiery passion, howeveeerrr... They are not above using them for their own means. Thus, you'd have Warlocks using Fel to fight Fel. It's not right - But it's not all that wrong either. These people wouldn't be the friendliest sort, would they?

Lastly, a concept in-between - The noble/half-noble/degraded noble, etc. The posh, sparkly city-elves. But why dumb them down to breaking their nails and crying? Make them awesome.

Here's something funny one would note, between the Elven Races:

Night Elves have three big factions: The Sentinel Sisterhood, The Sisterhood of Elune, and the Cenarion Circle/Druids.
Blood Elves have three big factions: The Blood Knights, The Farstriders/Ranger Corps., and The Magisters.

The Night Elves worship the Moon, and are Nocturnal, normally sleeping during the day and working during the night.
The Blood Elves revere the undying Sun, and are Diurnal, sleeping during the night and working during the day.

Starting to see a pattern? Elves are -that- interesting. They're more than worth playing, and I myself find them very enjoyable. So, yeah. It's an opinionated post, but hey.
Allright ill backtrack. I actually don't hate the blood elves. I actually find them interesting. Guess ill come out and say it. I don't like the CotH blood elves. There are a very rare few I like (the characters, not the players, I like all the players :D.) Mainly because I see all the NPC blood elves, being xenophobic, and reclusive, and nearly wiped out. Then I look at CotH and see a whole ton of blood elves, almost to the same amount as the human population (Who are one of the most common humanoids in azeroth, they breed like rabbits!) And it just makes me think why? Its like the demon hunters to me. When I see them I think "Woah...dont see that everyday." And thats how I pictured blood elves to be, those rare fel-tainted bunch of survivers, that you would hardly ever see venturing out of their city, and if you did it would be strange, wondering "Hmm...wonder what prompted them to leave silvermoon?" But they seem to crop up everywhere, in good numbers, and have no issues with any of the other races in a large amount of cases. It just seems weird I guess to me, when I picture how I imagine them to be.

But of course, its players choices, and aside from the occasional joke around about it, im not gonna tell anyone to stop rolling them or anything. I just with they were rare to see.
Pages: 1 2