Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: On the topic of Sentinels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, we had a discussion on GMI. It was whether or not Sentinels were allowed to be played. I said yes, as they are, in my eyes, the same as Grunts for the Orcs, and we have plenty of Grunts running around. They said no, as the Sentinels are technically Guards.

Then the discussion tapered off, although I have a few questions left.

1) I always thought that the only people that could arrest/exile in Kaldorei lands were the Wardens. Can the Sentinels do this as well?

2) What about Grunts? Can Grunts arrest, and such, or do Orcs have a different code of laws?

3) And if Sentinels can't arrest/exile, why can't we play them? They'd basically be soldiers watching over a town.
I always figured the Sentinels were more like the military instead of police and you just had different roles. The ones in Darnassus and other towns probably can't do more than subdue and drag them to an official who can make the rest. There may be more details behind that than what the game allows.

I don't know much about grunts but it's possible they do double-duty in some areas, Ashenvale especially.
Whether Military Personnel(Which require Special Profiles) or Guards, true, active duty Sentinels are unplayable, as far as I know.

If you want a Sentinel, go for a discharged one(No further duty, no attributes, just called one), or an Ex-Sentinel, having left for whatever reason.
When I made Niarrin, I received the heads up from a GM (Which name I've sadly forgotten) that I couldn't play a Sentinel due to them being guards. However, pretty much all Night elf female warriors are Sentinels seeing that's part of their culture. They get trained into them.. So pretty much after a short talk with that GM, It was turned around and Niarrin was born, who is in fact my Sentinel night elf. Admittedly it was a while ago, and can't remember which argument I exactly used but it comes to the above.

As for the arresting people, that's a guard thing. Only the GMs have the power to actually arrest and jail people since it's very easy for such power to be abused. Same thing for exiling.

And 3 - is basically how I always played Niarrin. A sentinel defending her lands till her last breath. Guarding vs Orc's and other races, not arresting or exiling them. (Pretty much like Twilight's idea, part of the military but not the guards. )
The Sentinel faction is a large part of the night elf culture. I suppose it is unfortunate that WoW made them the city guards. I think not allowing players to create Sentinel characters has the potential to dismiss a good chunk of solid, culturally relevant rp.

Since the night elves are a tribal race, most of their occupations are faction based. I've always considered the majority of female warriors Sentinels, unless they go rogue. It'd be like removing the possibility of connecting a druid character to one of the active druid clans. : (

If the GMs are open to allowing players to go through the approval process via the special characters board-- then I guess I am not as sadfaced about this revelation. Then again, I am a newbie and I have no idea how many players actually care to play old-school female night elves.
/derail

I don't think Night Elves are a tribal race, they seem to work together under one flag instead of being many different scattered tribes.
It's very interesting, the Sentinels. The word Amazonian pops into my mind. The military is backed by a largely female population. I've seen male officers, but it's limited even then. Yet, the high-druids and the such are men. It's weird, but I love the nelves. Plus, who doesn't like purple skin?