Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Living Death Knights and Other Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, now that I've hit Grunt I have finally made a Death Knight like I've been wanting to. I've given Kelia a history, gotten her a good costume (at least for starters, I think) and I've thought of a backstory, although I haven't solidified it to the point where I am willing to post it. I've even decided on a path for character development, a few personal traits, weaknesses, desires, motivations (or her in case a current lack thereof) and other sundry characterizations.

The issue that I'm having is with "living" Death Knights. I do not mean to troll, and I gather that this may be one of those issues where I start a fight between the conservative and permissive roleplayers, and I really don't mean to. Regardless, I do need to ask, because I want to start RPing Kelia and because my WoW is broken and I might as well while I redownload the patches (and hope to God I won't have to reinstall all 16GB of it.)

I understand that their existence is accepted here; there are several I've seen, several apparently approved, but they're all sort of...varying on just how alive they are. I know that they can feel emotions, including but not limited to love: there's a quest chain for the Alliance in Northrend where you help Thassarian find and save his sister from somebody-or-other, and even though as Death Knights go he appears to be one of the dead-er ones, he clearly cares about her and, if memory serves, nearly breaks down emotionally at one point.

However, what about comfort? Would some Death Knights want to eat? Drink? I'm assuming some living or quasi-living Death Knights would certainly have to, unless their body is repairing the deterioration caused just by moving around by pulling biomass from hammerspace or something. The need to sleep would no doubt be diminished, but I could see some having to or wanting to. What about feeling cold, or hot--or pain? What about (be realistic, we all knew it would come to this) sex?

This is somewhat relevant to my planned Development because she doesn't feel much, most of the time--but I had been assuming that she could. She's currently apathetic, angsty, and numbed emotionally, which is a big improvement over being suicidal after Light's Hope, but I had planned on her eventually trying to make a place for herself in the world of the living (well, the world of the untainted) in an attempt to find meaning and purpose. This might include substance abuse (diminished effect, but since she's pretty much alive I think should work), wandering aimlessly, mercenary work, casual sex (if possible), death-seeking and other self-destructive behavior. It would be a transition to her becoming a Blood Knight Atoner somewhere down the line.

And now I feel rather stupid for asking this, and may or may not regret it in the future.
But I am going to anyway. I can be thick like that.
Well, I thought you had to be killed, and raised by the Lichy to be able to make a Death Knight. It can't be a First Generation deathknight, so some or other way, she WILL have to be dead.
No. The ritual to become a death Knight does not include death. At all. However, you're bound to The Lich King and when killed in battle, you will be forcefully resurrected into an undead. this is how a lot of death Knights ended up undead. Because the odds that a Death Knight went through their whole operation on the Scrlet Enclave without falling once is slim. Living DK's either had shitloads of luck, or. . . . Had only boatloads of luck.
Different sources give conflicting answers on whether the DKs are all dead or not. Many, probably most, certainly are, but most sources suggest that the actual process of being "DKed" does not, in and of itself, make someone undead. It's just extremely likely that most Ebon Blade DKs are undead because few would willingly undergo the DK-ification process, and we're supposed to be playing heroes and not villains.

So, generally speaking, DKs don't really come in "shades" of living or dead. They're either fully alive with all the perks and drawbacks associated, or they're fully dead, much like a Forsaken but with less unpleasant rot. All DKs would still have certain things in common, though (the hunger, the emotional trauma from having the LK shouting in your head, etc.) This probably doesn't answer all your questions, but we're already kind of running on pure fanon here.
Oh lord it's this debate again. :P

Hehe, well personally I consider all death knights to be undead, but as stated above there is a large debate on the topic so eh.
Most DK's really should be undead. Coth begs to differ, but I'm not getting into that. Just be careful when rolling a living DK. There are so many on this server that people are actually getting a lil tired of them. It's even gone to the extent that people on GMI asked me "Are you undead!?" When I was on my DK. I said yes and the person went like "THANK GOD!"
So...living DK's on other servers are like interracial relationships to CotH? Interesting. Veeery interesting.

On a more related note, they are allowed; they are played. They can be proven. This we know. Or rather, this we now know.
Anyone who has sex with a Death Knight deserves to be shot ICly.
^Has a deadshot. He'll do it.
Aphetoros Wrote:^Has a deadshot. He'll do it.

I will. Same with cross-race relationships including Kaldorei, shall she discover them.
Danalthar Wrote:

I will. Same with cross-race relationships including Kaldorei, shall she discover them.

Ooch, elitism is an ugly thing.
I should make a night elf and have that character enter into a romantic relationship publicly with a blood elf. And have them publicly display their affection in front of everyone they meet.

Granted, it'd make me feel sick, but it would also be hilarious. The price one pays for trolling can be heavy, you know.
hiddengecko Wrote:
Danalthar Wrote:

Ooch, elitism is an ugly thing.
I should make a night elf and have that character enter into a romantic relationship publicly with a blood elf. And have them publicly display their affection in front of everyone they meet.

Granted, it'd make me feel sick, but it would also be hilarious. The price one pays for trolling can be heavy, you know.

Been done before.
And Shivala is a racist bastard. She'd have no problem with it.

BACK ON TOPIC.

I'd imagine they'd still have bodily functions, except made to take more time. Takes longer to be hungry, thirsty. Doesn't need as much food. Can't get as mad, etc.
Danalthar Wrote:Anyone who has sex with a Death Knight deserves to be shot ICly.

Be nice, guys.
Pages: 1 2