Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Question on alignment.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Alright, after reading through Grakor's alignment thing I realized something, that makes me worry about Coriv's alignment.
He's an assassin, but he works for the greater good of society. He has spend alot of time killing corrupt politicans, for the greater good. Grakor said that people who did this, could be lawful.

He tends to torture evil people, and enjoys killing(evil people). That would make him evil.

He leads a group of assassins and mercenaries, who fight for greater good and the money is merely a reward. That would make him good.

He tends to be unfair in fights, gang up on people, or slit their throat in their sleep - all serving "justice". That would make him chaotic.

I'm -very- confused.. :s
Neutral.
Yes. True Neutral is possible.
So, a mix of all 4 alignment types = neutral?
Alignment isn't that important, to be honest. I prefer to see a well written personality section than what alignment the creator thinks fits best. Alignments are very subjective too, so what one person might deem neutral or evil another might see as good.
Well, yes and no. By blending both sides, he in fact runs the border between the respective alignments. This makes him neutral.

Also, I agree with you, Nostra. A paladin may view Aulten as uber-evil. But he is so twisted that he thinks -he- is good, and the paladin is evil.
Aye. Not many characters -do- fit perfectly into one alignment type. If they do, then there's a good chance they're pretty flat characters.
I've just had loads of problem making an alignment for Coriv, seeing as he loves to boss around with his "henchmen", but hates to get bossed around with himself.
Lawful neutral? Check out TVTropes. Nice sections on the different alignments.
http://easydamus.com/alignment.html is a nice site for alignments.
Chaotic people can still be bossy. I actually had a chaotic good character that lead an entire nation once.
An example of an alignment problem would be with Lawful Evil.

On one side, there is an evil person who keeps his word, follows the law to the dot and does everything right but works his way towards evil deeds while following this.

On the other side, there is also a punisher whom finds people who breaks the law and believes they aren't worth saving and simply kills them despite whom gets into their way, innocent or not.

Hence; it's what you think, there isn't really anything you need to follow. From what I see, he's more of a Chaotic Good person, if not, Chaotic Neutral.
People who say they are the "good guys" are liars, and people who say they are "evil" are probably just insane (ICly). This all comes down to psychology. People who have done acts we consider "evil" do not think they are committing evil, they think they are somehow doing something good. Bank robbers, for example, don't rob banks to steal others money, they do it because they believe it to be the only way they can get money. Now they probably know they are taking others money, but they believe themselves to be more deserving of it, that it's owed to them.

My character Mordus didn't do what he did because he's like "Lolololol I'm evil", he did what he did because he believed what he was doing was the right thing. You may call it evil, he'd call it getting what he wants.

Conversely, so called "good guys" can commit "evil" deeds. Police brutality etc. I'd argue that King Varian is a tyrant, since it could be said that any talk of say, making Stormwind a democracy, would probably result in the arrest and maybe execution of those who started such talk. Simply because King Varian wants to remain King. When he fights the orcs, it's not because orcs are the "bad guys" (that is what he tells he citizens), it's because he doesn't like them. The reasons for such can be argued, but at the end of the day, he's trying to eliminate the Horde because they are different. The same goes for Garrosh.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant, but I'm just pointing out why "character alignment" in a profile is mainly so that people can expect what that character might do ICly.
Jurkey Wrote:Alright, after reading through Grakor's alignment thing I realized something, that makes me worry about Coriv's alignment.
He's an assassin, but he works for the greater good of society. He has spend alot of time killing corrupt politicans, for the greater good. Grakor said that people who did this, could be lawful.

He tends to torture evil people, and enjoys killing(evil people). That would make him evil.

He leads a group of assassins and mercenaries, who fight for greater good and the money is merely a reward. That would make him good.

He tends to be unfair in fights, gang up on people, or slit their throat in their sleep - all serving "justice". That would make him chaotic.

I'm -very- confused.. :s

The bad thing about the alignment table is that its a simple table that is often used to discribe complex characters. From what it sounds to me your character is Lawful Evil. A lawful evil character can be a good guy he just has evil methods to get to the greater good as is what it sounds like your character has. Being lawful doesn't mean you fight fair. Being evil doesn't mean you do not care for good. His evil practices seem to be directly aimed at those he finds to be evil. Controlled and regulated. Lawful evil. Does this help any?

Edit: His inability (or perhaps refusal) to see himself as evil also suggests a disconnection to reality, which is another trait of someone evil.
When in doubt, chaotic neutral.
Pages: 1 2 3