Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Flight in Azeroth?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, my first post about something in quite some time.

I was pondering with some ideas of RP for my Druid of Talon the other day when I thought about this subject.
So here's my statement-
Why not?

Retail realms already have this, along with a few other private servers I've seen (Which means it's possible?).
The only drawback is that certain areas won't have any content if you choose to fly over it (Which is why flight paths purposely choose to take the longer 'scenic' route, there's no content whilst flying above mountains and such, just flat land).

Something like this would definitely mean more RP opportunities, I can already imagine people on the forums begging to get a Netherdrake as a IC pet/mount already :3. It even means Druids (specifically Druids of Talons, like mine) will take advantage of this, I can see great RP already ^^.
Even though this doesn't mean that everyone can get fly (I suspect training plus the mount will be expensive Ic-ly) The rp would be great.

What do you guys think? This is still an idea, but is capable of being a new feature :D.
Welllll... You see, Retail is in Cata currently. Some other servers have it but they had to tinker with the game a bit severely I believe. It's more or less something that we'll have to wait for. Trust me man, I'd love Flight in Azeroth as well, but I am sure Kretol doesn't have the time or will to tinker with the server only to have it be useless when Cata rolls in for private servers.

My two cents.
It's possible with a patch but it's disgustingly glitchy. I don't think Kretol is too thrilled about the idea to begin with.
Hmm. On the previous RP server, the flight in Azeroth problem was simply fixed with mount, or self morph(for druids) commands, and also given a fly command. Just my two cents
Cookie Wrote:Hmm. On the previous RP server, the flight in Azeroth problem was simply fixed with mount, or self morph(for druids) commands, and also given a fly command. Just my two cents

Like setting a limit with how fast you can go, like they did with scale? So you can only go 2 times faster, or something? But the mounting and morphing to a bird would be a problem, as that could be -easily- abused.
The problems with those solutions are that Azeroth is not really suited for flight pre-Cata. It's unfinished and extremely glitchy above a certain Axis.
DiesUltime Wrote:The problems with those solutions are that Azeroth is not really suited for flight pre-Cata. It's unfinished and extremely glitchy above a certain Axis.

But are people going to RP in those glichy and unfinished areas? No. The flying mounts and forms would usually be used for entering or exiting the RP situations. So unfinished areas won't have too much influence in IC situations.
Sometimes it is better to be patient and wait.

:o

Just sayin'.
I think it's better to wait too, but I did have some idle thoughts on the matter.

It may be possible that flight is given to us as a GM power. I don't think that it would help with mounting, however, because I think even if we could fly, the zone we are out would not allow us to take out the mount anyways.

Also I would find it iffy to give that as a GM power. Even in Cataclysm there's going to be places that we won't be able to fly. I could see a flying ability being abused OOCly, like in instances and such. So it's probably better to wait for Cata.
I remember almost the month I joined, somebody brought this conversation up. He even included the code to enable flying in the engine we had then, ArcEMU. The idea, however, was still denied by Kret and the rest of the GM team.
Well, regardless of whether or not the GM team wants to or not, Trinity doesn't allow it to exist. I remember this discussion took place on Vent one day. And the concensus was that Trinity doesn't support any edits to the code allowing flying mounts.
Lol, that's it then.
Unless a GM Steps in, Flying is going to remain unavailable.
Cata, come already :P.
I think we should just wait. Cataclysm ruined the world anyway.