Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Demon Hunter Tattoos.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So another question! I know there isn't 100% facts as to why certain tattoos are certain colors, but I was just wondering what each demon tattoo color stands for.
They don't have specific meanings assigned to each color. I'm presuming the green is more fel-y, but that's about it.

And the brightly-colored tattoos with the DH design are just for Demon Hunters (which you almost certainly know already). Are you looking for something more specific?
Well, the colors do actually have a connotation based upon their color. It's rather convoluted as to what they are, and contrary to popular belief, there are different patterns for different demons used in the last binding ritual. Each different pattern represents a different aspect of a Demon Hunter, and a different species of demon.
I've used these in the past, nothing really mentioned on the colours though and I don't think they really matter. There's only three or so colours for the tattoos and either of could work as a good representation of either of these tattoos.

Spoiler:
Demon Hunter Tatoos.
Calm
These markings calm the demon hunter, making him appear more composed--almost emotionless. They are very faint, some claim they are invisible at times. Others claim they are indiscernable from scarring. However, the longer they are on the hunter, the more visible they become. They appear as curved lines that snake around the demon hunter's torso. This is useful for hunters who have been able to achieve control over their demon, but whose personality has become more aggressive after the binding. These marks subdue the demon's influence over the hunter, but also subdue the true personality as well.

Control
These markings symbolize caging the demon within. They are angular and sharp, and very deliberate in their design. They provide the demon hunter with a stronger measure of control over the demon's essence, but they do this by limiting the power of the bound creature significantly and releasing the essence from the runic binding over time. This allows the demon hunter to exert his or her will over a weakened form of the demon first, thus allowing him to learn control over time. They fade significantly as the demon's essence is slowly freed, but they never disappear completely.

Dissonance
The Dissonance markings are opposite of the Unity markings. Dissonance markings allow the hunter to keep the disparate souls of multiple demons separated and call upon one demonic essence at a time during combat. Dissonance demon hunters use a word of power to switch between these aspects. However, because the markings never allow a full unity, the demon hunter is considerably weaker since he is not living up to his full capability. The tattoos are heavily drawn vertical lines across the hunter's body. Hunters with the Dissonance markings have been known to begin suffering from a specific disorder. It is entirely possible that each essence becomes a new personality for the hunter, borrowing heavily from the traits of the particular demon souls within.

Rage
The Rage markings are extremely dangerous and rares, they enhance the burning desire for destruction inherent in all demons and bring that anger to the forefront of the hunter. They promise to keep the hunter's personality even until the anger is released using a word of power. However, this has proven to be unreliable and many hunters who use these markings end up being significantly more wild than those who have not. The appear as a chaotic mass of designs upon the hunter's skin. The lines have no discernable shape or direction. They are angular smooth at the same time--sharp and soft. If you are not trained to recognize the Rage markings, then you will find it difficult to find a pattern in their design.

Shadow
Shadow markings are also rare, but extremely useful to the demon hunter who is able to control it. A shadow marking only works if a demon hunter has bound the essence of a nathrezim or eredar warlock. These markings cover most of the demon hunter's body, and in fact appear as a negative tattoo. The hunter's skin is covered in the ink and it is the clean portions that appear as intricate patterns. The shadow markings allow the hunter to move and fight silently, as if they were made of shadow and mist alone. A few rare demon hunters have achieved a similar ability on their own, but these markings assist greatly in emulating those skills. However, since these markings effectively remove a part of the demon hunter from the material realm and keep a part of that hunter permanently in the shadow realm, madness is largely guaranteed. The hunter loses all sense of reality, kinship, and sanity. They become increasingly distant from the world, and all who have used these markings eventually vanish completely. It is believed they chose a permanent existence in the Realm of Shadows.

Unity
Hunters who have experienced problems during their binding ritual may be forced to bind multiple demons over time. This is not intentional and is caused by some severe trauma experienced during training or hunting. Multiple bindings are inherently stronger than most single bindings for a limited time, but they also push the hunter much closer to madness. In addition, the multiple demon souls may not wish to work together, which strips away the demon hunter's powers and strength at inopportune moments. The Unity binding was created to control this. Drawn as a complex series of flowing marks that whirlpool around most of the upper body of the demon hunter, these markings are only visible while the demon hunter is unable to control his multiple bindings. Once he or she has learned to unify the demon essences, the markings vanish, allowing the hunter full access to the powers of the bound demons.
Green is balance, black is unmatched strength, blue is knowledge and purple is demonic ability.

Or so I am told.
Don't think there's any sources to cite though, so it's pretty much up to the player.
Yeah, there isn't much in lore on which color does what, but it is stated that different colors do different things. I'd say that Delta's list is as good as any. I have, Nostra, used that list of tattoo patterns myself. And I must say that while I've never had the opportunity to use it, that the Shadow pattern is definitely my favorite. The binding ritual must be painfully difficult, however. Nearly impossible, I might argue.
I see! Thanks for most of the help!