Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: (Totemic) Druids and You.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
World of Warcraft gives very little information on Totemic Druids, thusly the majority of this is speculation. I'll attempt to add the sources where I got my speculation from within the posts. All quotes are from here, unless stated otherwise. This post includes lore, but is mainly about what items can be used as totems, and over-all which totem is based off of which.

Quote:A totemic druid is a druid that bases his magic off a single totem. Before and during the Third War, almost all druids were night elves. (Most are still night elves, though many tauren and a few other races now take up the path.) Night elf druids were organized into different subgroups, each with its own totem animal — the most famous, and most influential in the Third War, were the Druids of the Claw and the Druids of the Talon.

Totemic Druids are just as the name implies -- Druids with Totems. Often, these Druids are closer to delving into becoming a Savagekin then their non-Totemic counterparts (See: Broll Bearmantle), thus take a Totem to strengthen their Humanoid connection to Nature, and stave away succumbing to natures will. Of course, if the totem is destroyed, the consequences can vary widely, going from between becoming a Savagekin, or continuing on as if life was no problem. Of course, you do not need a totem to be a Druid, yet it is, ICly, highly advisable. Totems offer just as much versatility as non-Totems do, and have no negative feedbacks other than the fact that it can't be hurt or leave you. It also allows you to morph with smaller mana loss.

Types of Totemic Druids

Quote: * Druid of the Wild & Epic Druid of the Wild

Primary patron: Ysera, Alexstrasza, Therazane the Stonemother
Shapeshift form: Multiple
It is strongly implied that playable druids are all Druids of the Wild. These druids employ a variety of magic from multiple totems, a new practice among the druids.

These are, basically, what all Druids are in-game. They are equal in all forms, although falling behind to others who are specialized in one. They have access to all forms, and are highly versatile, as well as fairly new to Druids. Thus, few elderly Druids would be one.

Quote: * Druid of the Claw

Primary patron: Ursol and Ursoc
Shapeshift form: Bear, Black Bear, Brown Bear, Polar Bear, Dire Bear, Huge Dire Bear.

Druid of the Claws are, once again, just that. They specialize in Bear form and (possibly) Cat form, and are the most popular sector of Druids, Talon being the second. They also have larger variety in what bear type they can turn into. Where Wilds are restricted to one type of bear, Claws can turn into many different types. Their primary function is being on the front lines.

Quote: * Druid of the Talon

Primary patron: Aviana
Shapeshift form: Storm Crow, raven, birds of prey (hawk, eagle, etc).
These secretive druids have adopted the totem of the crow.

Druids of the Talon are people that prefer Birds. They have a large variety of birds which they can transform into, and possibly also into a (Disputed) Moonkin. They are the second most popular sect of Druids, only Claws surpassing them. Their primary function is either as a messenger bird, or as espionage, using their semi-common look to listen in on enemies.

Quote: * Druid of the Grove

Primary patron: Ivus the Forest Lord
Shapeshift form: Treant[2] (Tree of Life).
Leaders: Arch Druid Renferal
Druids sent from Darnassus by the Arch Druid Renferal in order to aid the Stormpike in Alterac Valley. They are capable of summoning Ivus the Forest Lord by use of Storm Crystals.

Druids of the Grove are those who prefer helping more than hurting. They restore fallen allies, they restore fallen trees, they restore anything they deem restorable and worthy of being restored. They can turn into trees, both to heal and, at times, spy. They are not a widely used sector of Druidism.

Quote: * Aquatic Druid

Primary patron: Tortolla
Shapeshift Form: Sea Lion, Turtle, Octopus, most things Aquatic. However, they cannot turn into any non-Aquatic form. Just a whole lot of Aquatic.
Leaders: Unknown

Aquatic Druids love water. They love being in it, swimming in it, sitting near it or sitting on it, if they can devise how to. Unlike Chuck Norris, they go to water, but water does like them, most likely. Outside of water, they are probably completely useless. They are not widely used, at all. In my humble opinion, they are the most bad-ass of all Druids, merely for their Patron.

Spoiler:
Quote:Like many of Azeroth's ancients, Tortolla took part in the War of the Ancients in order to defend his world. Initially, the Burning Legion took little heed to him, as he was both nonthreatening and sluggish. However, this proved a fatal mistake, as he was able to easily crush hundreds of his enemies with his sheer weight and powerful jaws. Not only that, but his stony skin and hardened shell proved impossible for even the most powerful of the Burning Legion to pierce. He was one the few, if not the only, ancient to not fall during the war, being able to cover the retreat of the mortal races so that they could ultimately regroup and seal the portal. According to Hamuul, after the war he was found underneath a mountain of demon corpses, and slowly asked if they had won once he had shaken them off.

Quote: * Druid of the Antler

Primary patron: Malorne
Shapeshift form: Stag[2]
Rumored druid order to have taken on totem based around Malorne.

Druids of the Antler are obscure, at best. They hold a little known legacy of worshiping Malorne and thus being granted his form. They charge into battle with their antlers, bucking much like antlers do in real life, except against Humanoids. However, this sect is currently nothing more than a rumor.

Quote: * Druid of the Fang

Primary patron: Unknown
Shapeshift form: Snake, Viper, Constrictor, Dire Cobra
Leaders: Lord Cobrahn, Lady Anacondra, Lord Pythas, Lord Serpentis, previously Naralex

Druids of the Fang are all but considered evil by the majority of the world. See, the majority of the world only knows of the Wailing Caverns, within which are corrupted Druids of the Fang. They prefer the snake form above the other, more used forms, adding onto their bad image.

Quote: * Druid of the Pack/Scythe

Primary patron: Goldrinn
Shapeshift form: Wolf (formerly), Worgen
Leaders: Ralaar Fangfire

Druids of the Pack are just as feared as Druids of the Fang, although just not as widely. Druids of the Packs are powerful, yet their form has a larger tendency to make them go feral, which is why they're so feared. They originally all turn into wolves yet, as they delve further into Nature's grip, they become Worgen and complete slaves to their primal mind.

WoWPedia, Druid of the Nightmare Wrote:* Druid of the Nightmare

Primary Patron: Unknown, most likely Xavius
Shapeshift Form: Monstrous Vermin, ranging from Spiders to Scorpion

A Druid of the Nightmare is a variant class of druid. Not all druids revere the Emerald Dream. A few rare and twisted individuals channel the Nightmare, a rent in the perfection of the Emerald Dream. Most of these druids of the Nightmare were once normal druids who inadvertently came in contact with the Nightmare (often while dreamwalking) and fell under its insidious influence. However, an increasing number of people have become druids of the Nightmare through their own volition. Whereas traditional druids seek a communion with nature, druids of the Nightmare become increasingly divorced from the natural order. Druids of the Nightmare transform into vermin such as monstrous scorpions or monstrous spiders instead of the animals other druids choose. Most of their abilities involve corrupting or destroying nature or warping the minds and bodies of others. At some point, the druid of the Nightmare is fully removed from nature; instead of aging as others, they develop random and unusual features (such as scales or tentacles) as they advance in years.

Possible Totems

Spoiler:
[Image: TotemWild.png] Deadly Gladiator's Staff (Green), Furious Gladiator's Staff (Purple), Hateful Gladiator's Staff (Dark Purple)

[Image: TotemClaw.png] Wildcaller (Black), Fleshling Simulation Staff (Green), Ursol's Claw (Brown)

[Image: TotemDClaw.png] Emerald Ripper

[Image: TotemDClaw2.png] Prowler's Strikeblade

These totem would be advised to be used as a Claw. The firsts' tip clearly outlines a cats head and paws, so what better form than a cats to use it for? The second also end in a paw, so it could either be interpreted as a bear or cat paw. On the first dagger, it looks much like a fang would, albeit green. And the last one is still practical, yet still has fur. The eye and stoney look make it fit quite well, in my opinion.

Spoiler:
[Image: TotemTalon2.png] Staff of Dark Mending

[Image: TotemTalon.png] Origin of Nightmares

[Image: TotemPTalon.png] Fordragon Blades (Light), Archon Glaive (Dark)

[Image: TotemDTalon.png] Dagger of Lunar Purity (Purple), Dagger of the Rising Moon (Orange), Spectral Kris (White)

This totem is bread and butter for Talon. There are various feathers, along with a head, wings and talon. Essentially, it's a bird on a stick. Now, with the polearm, you not only have one bird on a stick, but two! The dagger has some feathers and a nice eye, and the runes look like they would perhaps help a Moonkin cast better, or just for show.

Spoiler:
[Image: TotemGrove5.png] Brutal Gladiator's Staff (Blue), Stanchion of Primal Instinct (Green)

[Image: TotemGrove4.png] Cold Convergence (Purple), *None shown in picture

[Image: TotemGrove3.png] Draenic Wildstaff

[Image: TotemGrove2.png] Wildfury Greatstaff (Green), Staff of Natural Fury (Black)

[Image: TotemGrove.png] Pillar of Ferocity

[Image: TotemDGrove.png] Ceremonial Knife

All of these would be great for a Druid of the Grove. Many of them have leaves or vines on them, and what is better for a tree-man then someone covered in something on a tree? And the dagger is wooden, 'nuff said.

Spoiler:
[Image: TotemAntler2.png] Twin's Pact (Green), Attrition (Red), *Neither the color shown

[Image: TotemAntler.png] Journey's End

Both of these are great for Druids of the Antler. They have antlers, hooves (In the case of the second) and a clearly defined head.

Spoiler:
[Image: TotemScale.png] Will of Arlokk

This totem would be best for a Druid of the Fang. As easily seeable, it's a mixture between a snake and a stick, thus best fitting for someone who turns into a snake.

Spoiler:
[Image: TotemFang.png] Staff of the Plaguehound

[Image: TotemPack1.png] Staff of Trickery

These, in my opinion, would be best for a Druid of the Pack. They both show dog, or wolf, heads, and the first one shows off the feral nature of the Druids of the Packs, what with the red eyes.

Spoiler:
[Image: TotemNightmare.png] Staff of Feral Furies

[Image: TotemDNightmare.png] Blade of Nadox

[Image: TotemDNightmare2.png] Dagger of Bad Mojo

It's a flaming lions head on a stick. Which of the above dislikes Nature the most? Which would set a lions head on flame and put it on a stick? The first dagger looks somewhat like a scorpion tail, which is something Nightmarish Druids turn into. The second one has a skull and another nice stoney look, but it just seems more.. frightening.

Specializing

Now, specializing is something that I've done with Sha'dash in the past, and am doing currently. Basically, you lose a skill or become worse in it, but in return you gain more power in one skill. Of course, this can't be done in a second. It probably can't be done in any time that anyone would be willing to play. Although, you probably wouldn't completely lose the power, but it would become more tiring, and much weaker.

A good example of this is my Druid, Sha'dash. Essentially, he can barely heal and would have to have just waken up and drank enough coffee to stay awake for a week to turn into something like a bear and fight. However, in his Flight Form he is huge (enough to fly around comfortably with a Kaldorei raising on him, and able to support about two and a half). Along with this, he's on par with most Spellcasters his age in Moonkin form.

Of course, you must be careful when you do this. Overplaying the powers can lead to drama and possible removal of this function, if it is allowed on this server. Really, this would suck. If you need help balancing out your Druid, if you choose to do this, my PM box is always open!

Outfits

Druids of the Wild are a mixture of them all. Thusly, pinning down a set just for them can be both easy and challenging at the same time. However, you can look below to see if one of the sets I've premade for another will fit your Druid of the Wild.

Druids of the Claws are a different case, though. They're usually small and lithe, or large and muscular, depending on their preferred form. Usually, their gear will have fangs or claws strapped to it to show their profession. They are almost always in leather.

Spoiler:
[Image: GearClaw.png] Geist Belt, Gloves, Boots, Legguards, Shoulders, Tunic *Available in Black

[Image: GearClaw2.png] Stormrage Belt, Boots, Pauldron, Legguards, Handguards, Cover, Chestguard *Available in Blue

Druids of the Talons would most likely be smaller than Druids of the Claw, with not as prominent muscles, but muscles nonetheless. Of course, they'd probably have feathers on their body, or something else symbolizing a bird.

Spoiler:
[Image: GearTalon.png] Feathered Leggings, Breastplate, Grunt's Pauldrons, Deprecated Feathered Helm, Mighty Girdle, Raven's Claws, Dreadhawk's Schynbald *You need to delete your "ItemCache" in your Cache folder to use Pauldrons and Boots. *Available in Grey and Brown (For the most part)

[Image: GearTalon2.png] Wildheart Vest, Belt, Boots, Cowl, Spaulders, Kilt, Gloves *Available in blue

Druids of the Grove would probably be the weakest of all Druids. Of course, they'd still have muscle, but nothing compared to a Druid of the Claw. They would most likely dress in something tree-like, such as bark or leaves, with snippets of leather or cloth.

Spoiler:
[Image: GearGrove.png] Cenarion Vestments, Belt, Boots, Gloves, Leggings, Spaulders *Yellow version available

[Image: GearGrove2.png] Nordrassil Headguard, Life-Mantle, Chestguard, Life-Kilt, Gloves, Cord of Dark Suffering, Twill Boots *Blue version available

Druids of the Antler would be spindly, just a bit more muscley than the Druids of the Grove. They'd be lanky, and most likely dressed in leathers. They, of course, would probably have some antlers on them somewhere.

Spoiler:
[Image: GearAntler.png] Gladiator's Kodohide Helm, Spaulders, Tunic, Gloves, Legguards, General's Kodohide Boots, Magram Hunter's Belt *White version available

Druids of the Fang would be in light, flexible cloth, valuing maneuverability over all else. Due to their similarities with the Druids of the Nightmare, their equipment would look much the same.

Spoiler:
[Image: GearNightmare.png] Armor of the Fang, Leggings of the Fang, Belt of the Fang, Gloves of the Fang, Footpads of the Fang *Green version available

Druids of the Pack would be small and stout, the muscle height ratio similar to a Druid of the Claws. They would also wear leathers, thin in leather but shaggy in fur.

Spoiler:
[Image: GearPack.png] Embrace of the Lycan, Bristlebark Blouse, Britches, Boots, Belt, Gloves

Druids of the Nightmare would be long and spindly for almost all their forms, although still strong. They would wear tough, thick leathers, although most likely sparingly within this. Due to their forms nature, they'd probably stay away from Spider-like Totems, or such, so people do not become suspicious. Unless they're nefarious like that. If they do have an obvious totem, it'd probably be smaller than a usual-sized totem.

Spoiler:
[Image: GearNightmare.png] Armor of the Fang, Leggings of the Fang, Belt of the Fang, Gloves of the Fang, Footpads of the Fang *Green version available

Questions? Concerns? Comments? If I see somewhat of a positive response (5 thanks), then I may make suits for each sector and post them here with the totems. Thank you for reading! C'mon, one more thank!
Like. This will come in handy in the future, I daresay. Well-written, younger brother of Danalthar!

I assumed, however, that we were limited to totems that had a game mechanics shape-shift. Maybe I'm just confusing myself... >.>
Possibly, although I think it would be within the realm of possibility to create an item that morphs it, like the Orb of the Sin'dorei.
FlyingSquirrel Wrote:Possibly, although I think it would be within the realm of possibility to create an item that morphs it, like the Orb of the Sin'dorei.

Hmmm... Could work. Although that puts stress on Kretnub.

TO HELL WITH IT. He can take it. It'll be nice to legit-ly play a Druid of the Talon. I've always wanted to. D:
muhaha8 Wrote:
FlyingSquirrel Wrote:Possibly, although I think it would be within the realm of possibility to create an item that morphs it, like the Orb of the Sin'dorei.

TO HELL WITH IT. He can take it. It'll be nice to legit-ly play a Druid of the Talon. I've always wanted to. D:

Well, that wouldn't work, as you'd need to be able to fly as well. That was meant for the Antler, Fang and Pack.
FlyingSquirrel Wrote:
muhaha8 Wrote:

Well, that wouldn't work, as you'd need to be able to fly as well. That was meant for the Antler, Fang and Pack.

I think that, like you can perma-morph someone, you can perma-fly them.
muhaha8 Wrote:
FlyingSquirrel Wrote:
muhaha8 Wrote:Hmmm... Could work. Although that puts stress on Kretnub.

I think that, like you can perma-morph someone, you can perma-fly them.

Then you wouldn't be able to jump, and it could be abused widely.
... It'll work. Somehow.

I HAVE IT. Code the item to where whenever it's equipped, it turns fly on. Hehe. Not sure if that would work, but it's worth a try.
muhaha8 Wrote:Hmmm... Could work. Although that puts stress on Kretnub.
FlyingSquirrel Wrote:Bird on a stick.

I lol'd so very much for some reason.

We'll be able to play Talon druids properly in Cataclysm. Until then, you can simply emote them as being in Stormcrow form and flying. I do that with my druid all the time.
Etmosril Wrote:
FlyingSquirrel Wrote:Bird on a stick.

I lol'd so very much for some reason.

We'll be able to play Talon druids properly in Cataclysm. Until then, you can simply emote them as being in Stormcrow form and flying. I do that with my druid all the time.

Same. Every time I'm in Travel Form ICly, it's actually Storm Crow form. It's really no hassle, but being able to fly will be lovely.
Regardless of game mechanics, however, this post will be very helpful. I'll be sure to keep it in mind whilst making any Druids I make in the future!
I saw this...I liked it...and I decided to help post possible totems/weapons.

STAVES:
Druids of the Talon
Spoiler:
Devotion - Appears to have a distinct, sleeked, beaked head, as well as talon like protrusions.

Druids of the Grove
Spoiler:
Dreambinder, Rapture, Spire of Withering Dreams, The Life Binder - Though VERY EPIC LOOKING, it looks like it is made of roots, and has a bunch of decorative leaves hanging
off.

Conifer Cone Staff, Shadow Wing Focus Staff, Staff of Rampant Growth - An...interesting looking staff that appears to have a cob of corn or cone flower on the top. One variation actually seems to have an eye, so a possible Druid of the Nightmare staff, perhaps, as well?

Druid of the Nightmare
Spoiler:
Blessed Qiraji Acolyte Staff

Swarming Sting-Staff, Dreamer's Dragonstaff, Wild Wood Staff

Feral Staff of Lashing, Greatstaff of the Leviathan

Terestian Stranglestaff

Serpent Life-Staff

Now, there is a lot of belief that the nightmare is caused by the old gods, through Xavius. It is believed that he has now allied himself with the old gods like Azshara did. The presence of fleshbeasts in the Emerald nightmare also supports this. So for those wanting to go down this route might enjoy these staves.

OTHER USABLE STAVES:
Spoiler:
Cryptbone staff and Variations - There are like...18 differnet models so I won't link them all...It is a nice staff that looks like a branch/root with a crystal on it. Possible newbie or low-ranked druid of the grove staff?

Amberseal Keeper and Variations - A basic natural staff with leaves/feathers on it. Druid of the grove or talon, anyone?

Well Crafted Staff and Variatons - A staff with a crescent moon on it. Good for any druids focusing on Elune/Mu'sha or a Balance Druid. Come in a lot of pretty colours~

-----------------------
(Only gonna link one example of the model, since it's faster that way.)
ONE HANDED MACES

Druids of the Nightmare
Spoiler:
Infection Repulser - A simple looking mace with a spider motif and cobwebs. Perfect for a druid that shapeshifts into a spider!

Maexxna's Femur - A bladed mace that looks like it is made up of insect/spider limbs. Complete with flesh around the mace head and spikes/talons/stingers.

Stinger of Ayamiss - A giant scorpion stinger/spider fang. Perfect for a scorpion/spider type druid!

Druids of the Fang
Spoiler:
Hammer of Bestial Fury - If Druids of the Fang can also transform into other reptiles, this reptilian hand on a hammer would seem perfect!

Stinging Viper - Shaped to look like a Cobra head, and even drops of a druid of the fang! need any more reason? Also comes in black.

Zulian Scepter of Rites - A scepter in the shape of TWO cobras (Suck it Stinging Viper). Also has a skull, but I am sure we can work around it.

Mallet of the Tides - A bit of a stretch, but it does look like a lizard/snake tail to me!

OTHER POSSIBLE ONE-HAND MACES!
Spoiler:
Ebony Boneclub - A big bone! Perfect for a totem I'd think. Able to do so much with it, and it already has a natural connection to it: It was once an animal!
MadFerret Wrote:I saw this...I liked it...and I decided to help post possible totems/weapons.

STAVES:
Druids of the Talon
Spoiler:
Devotion - Appears to have a distinct, sleeked, beaked head, as well as talon like protrusions.

Druids of the Grove
Spoiler:
Dreambinder, Rapture, Spire of Withering Dreams, The Life Binder - Though VERY EPIC LOOKING, it looks like it is made of roots, and has a bunch of decorative leaves hanging
off.

Conifer Cone Staff, Shadow Wing Focus Staff, Staff of Rampant Growth - An...interesting looking staff that appears to have a cob of corn or cone flower on the top. One variation actually seems to have an eye, so a possible Druid of the Nightmare staff, perhaps, as well?

Druid of the Nightmare
Spoiler:
Blessed Qiraji Acolyte Staff

Swarming Sting-Staff, Dreamer's Dragonstaff, Wild Wood Staff

Feral Staff of Lashing, Greatstaff of the Leviathan

Terestian Stranglestaff

Serpent Life-Staff

Now, there is a lot of belief that the nightmare is caused by the old gods, through Xavius. It is believed that he has now allied himself with the old gods like Azshara did. The presence of fleshbeasts in the Emerald nightmare also supports this. So for those wanting to go down this route might enjoy these staves.

OTHER USABLE STAVES:
Spoiler:
Cryptbone staff and Variations - There are like...18 differnet models so I won't link them all...It is a nice staff that looks like a branch/root with a crystal on it. Possible newbie or low-ranked druid of the grove staff?

Amberseal Keeper and Variations - A basic natural staff with leaves/feathers on it. Druid of the grove or talon, anyone?

Well Crafted Staff and Variatons - A staff with a crescent moon on it. Good for any druids focusing on Elune/Mu'sha or a Balance Druid. Come in a lot of pretty colours~

-----------------------
(Only gonna link one example of the model, since it's faster that way.)
ONE HANDED MACES

Druids of the Nightmare
Spoiler:
Infection Repulser - A simple looking mace with a spider motif and cobwebs. Perfect for a druid that shapeshifts into a spider!

Maexxna's Femur - A bladed mace that looks like it is made up of insect/spider limbs. Complete with flesh around the mace head and spikes/talons/stingers.

Stinger of Ayamiss - A giant scorpion stinger/spider fang. Perfect for a scorpion/spider type druid!

Druids of the Fang
Spoiler:
Hammer of Bestial Fury - If Druids of the Fang can also transform into other reptiles, this reptilian hand on a hammer would seem perfect!

Stinging Viper - Shaped to look like a Cobra head, and even drops of a druid of the fang! need any more reason? Also comes in black.

Zulian Scepter of Rites - A scepter in the shape of TWO cobras (Suck it Stinging Viper). Also has a skull, but I am sure we can work around it.

Mallet of the Tides - A bit of a stretch, but it does look like a lizard/snake tail to me!

OTHER POSSIBLE ONE-HAND MACES!
Spoiler:
Ebony Boneclub - A big bone! Perfect for a totem I'd think. Able to do so much with it, and it already has a natural connection to it: It was once an animal!

Alright! We talked about most of the staff ones. Again, the weapons I posted are just possible beginner ones, until someone gets something more personal that they feel would fit. HOWEVER, I shall work on them tomorrow, when I get back from school.
Druids of the Nightmare, Pack, and Fang are unplayable as we can't turn into those forms.

Though Pack would be anyway since it was basically annihilated in Nelven lands via laws and such.
Pages: 1 2 3