Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Of Wickedness, Heresy, and Sin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
O thou that with surpassing glory crowned
Look'st from they sole dominion like the god
Of this new world, at whose sight all the stars
Hide their diminished heads, to thee I call
But with no friendly voice and add thy name,
O Sun, to tell thee how I hate thy beams
That bring to my remembrance from what state
I fell, how glorious once above thy sphere
Till pride and worse ambition threw me down,
Warring in Heav'n against Heav'n's matchless King.
-Milton, Paradise Lost

Away From The Sun

Sagi jumped backwards, beads of sweat running down his face, glistening in the light of the moon. He ducked down, just in time, blade sinking into a tree behind him before being torn away, scattering bark and wood to the ground. The sword raised up, willed on by the power of its wielder, before slamming down into the ground, sending up pieces of earth and leaving a heavy gash in the dirt.

Fel green eyes turned searching in the darkness. Sin'dorei hands lifted the blade up again. A feverish voice called out into the night air, broken into fragments by deep breaths, "Don't hide from me... I know you're out there." The blood elf's lips curled into a mad smile, chest raising up and down. He silenced himself, standing still. His green eyes searched the forest, peering into the bushes, rocks, and trees. Head turning at every sound, be it his enemy, or the winds, or that constant drumming.

Sagi heard the drumming to, again and again, beating to the same rhythm of his ragged breaths. He knelt, concealed in shadow, trying to calm his own heart. But it pounded on furiously and the noise, so loud within Sagi's mind, made his body shiver with fear.

There's no time... I've got to finish this before that darkness has a chance to truly hatch. If it comes to that...

I've already spent too much energy to take on a nightmare.

Motion. It attracted the Sin'dorei's eyes. As if slipping out of the shadows he saw Sagi return. Swinging the blade downward, he laughed, "Finally! You've come to die. Lets finish this!" The Sin'dorei held his blade in front of him, point angled towards Sagi. Then, letting out a yell he rushed forwards, feet pounding into the ground.

Sagi tipped his hat up, hands standing empty and ready. His eyes started to darken as shadow wrapped around his form.

Alright Sagi... Calm down... Three... two... one...

Suddenly his body became transparent, and he charged as well, dark iron staff in his hands, wicked spikes jutting out from its top. The two clashed, weapons sending sparks as they passed each other. Sagi turned to see his opponent already rushing at him again. He took in a deep breath before letting out an ear-piercing scream, brief but layered with psychic energy. It paused the Sin'dorei, but not for long. The shakes quickly faded and he was charging again while Sagi tried frantically to catch his breath.

Tendrils of shadow forced their way through the Sin'dorei's body, making him yell to the skies. More and more constantly forced themselves into him, until he fell to the ground, a crumpled mass. Sagi looked dumbfounded at the body for a few moments before his eyes settled on a figure in blue robes just ahead of him. He relaxed, putting the bottom of his staff on the ground and leaning on it, "It took you long enough..."

An echoing voice replied as the figure moved forward "I was dealing with other issues. You should learn how to fend for yourself better."

Sagi rolled his eyes as he stepped towards the Sin'dorei. The black metal of his staff began to gleam with a sick energy before a dark stream pierced the Sin'dorei's body "As you say Sozun. What's next? Wait don't tell me. More harvesting correct?"

"Don't get so smart. Actually, no. Its about time we left Duskwood behind us... We will return but for now, I think our work here is done. There is business elsewhere... And unfortunately it won't be so easy to work quietly anymore. Be ready to travel, you'll be on your own again until I've assembled enough worthy servants."

----

Sagi stepped out onto the docks of Booty Bay. The shining sun made him wince, its light strong enough that it was almost blinding for the elf. He turned away from it, tipping his hat down, eyes only half open.

Its been 33 days... 33 days since I last saw the sun. After Un'Goro... Trapped in Duskwood with Sozun for a month. Its funny... I've not even been away for that long but...

Sagi took another glimpse at the sun through half-open eyelids. Still, the light was too much. He turned away again, back now facing while he stared into his own shadow.

Its so foreign now. So far away. It feels strange. The warmth, these bright rays. Even uncomfortable.

I wonder if there will ever come a day when I cannot even look upon it anymore.

----

"You're wrong... Because I've already felt it. Maybe it just takes a further dive into the darkness for you... but for me, I know its there. Even now it watches me, hiding in every corner, eyes peeking out of every shadow. A powerful nightmare I cannot contain. Its waiting for the moment to strike, waiting for the time... It needs not strength nor courage... No, it nourishes itself with my palpable fear. That winged-lurker... Even now its playing the cruelest game of them all, waiting. Waiting to see me at my most frightened, when anxiety and despair take me forever... Then, without lifting a finger, it will have won. And I dare not deny it, that shadowy apparition will succeed. Its darkness is too great."

Those words echoed in my head endlessly every day after his death. I thought that I would go mad, that I was going through the greatest of suffering, loosing my mind. But I was wrong. Because then I too saw that fearsome beast... At first I thought my mind simply played tricks on me... But no, I would hear its wings flapping in the air. Hear its screeching voice. See the black plumes...

It was then that I realized the sanity I still had. Because what sane man would not jump at every sound, look behind him at every turn, hid with fright in every corner.... What sane man would not feel paranoia grab him and control his life, when such a dark apparition was always behind him, watching his every move. A bird of prey... Shadowy hunter of shadows. What sane man would not fear death?

It was then that I realized there were only two options if I wanted to continue to survive without fear. Lose my sanity, or become immortal...

I chose to chase after the latter, turned to darkness forever... And forgot everything in that other realm, that world of light. Warmth. Touch. Emotion. The voice of a child... The breath of a lover... The beams of the sun... And to stay sane, to live without them, I had to force myself to hate them. Never again would I love, and forever more I would despise those golden rays.
"What are you proposing Mr. Croz?" Jidaeo stared at the hooded figure that stood within his estate, wrapped in blue robes, only his eyes visible. "I worked hard to achieve the good favor of those Demon Hunters. Why should I let it all be lost all for the risk of trying to take Duskwood?"

"I only suggest this Lord Novalight. Allow me to rid Duskwood of its Demon Hunter problem. When they both have died you can set up your haven in those lands. The dead... the forsaken... Together we need a home and Duskwood, that dark world.. It too is forsaken. I will kill both Hunters... And then our alliance can begin. Agreed?"

His Chosen Land

Sozun and Annabelle stood apart from each other on one of the paths of Duskwood's forest. She sat on a brown horse, clad in dark armor while he on the warhorse of the Forsaken, dressed in blue robes. Cautiously Annabelle questioned him, with each approach feeling the dread that came from him, the cold air, his echoing voice, the void darkness within.

"What are you hunting," she asked warily, eyes focused on Sozun with great caution.

Their conversation had dragged on like this for many moments. Taking a glance around, Sozun finally spoke out of anxiousness to move on, "There are two plagues from Outland that I have heard of... Two demon hunters that must be destroyed. One is rumored to rest here and so here I have come, ready to destroy them both."

Annabelle's eyes narrowed noticeably, now watching Sozun with a big of anger. "And what if, you happened to be speaking to one of their allies even now?"

Sozun looked at Annabelle for only moments longer before the darkness in his mind unleashed attack, blasting mental force into her mind, piercing it, making her body scream out in pain. The ascendant still sat on his horse as he watched her squirming end. Then the human jumped down to the ground, sending her horse off.

As Annabelle looked up at Sozun she drew her mace and shield, holding the two tightly. Sozun looked at her on the ground before sliding down his horse, landing soundlessly. He looked at Annabelle silently, almost condescendingly as he observed her weapons. His unholy eyes settled on the dark shield again. From it came a strange gleam. Then suddenly a golden light shinned from it, bursting forth as a holy disk of energy. "I advise you to re-think this hunt of yours" Anna shouted as her attack went flying.

The holy light burned its way into Sozun's body, send tremors of pain through his being. Eyes wide in shock, the force of the attack knocked Sozun backwards, off his feet, screams of pain coming out in a cacophony of echos, released into the sky, filling the air with terrifying, tortured sounds unlike those of any other creature in existence. All the while Annabelle watched, flinching at the noises, confusion in her eyes. "The fel..." she muttered to her self, looking at the ascendant closely but maintaining her defensive pose.

Slowly, Sozun got back to his feet, gloved hand gripping his chest where darkness seemed to crackle all around. His eyes looked up from the ground to Annabelle and narrowed, voice filled with the desire of vengeance spitting out a single word, almost a hiss, "Light..." After the utterance shadows started to cling to his form, congregating around his hand before a bolt of shadow blazed forward at Annabelle.

She, however, was too quick. Shield rose up, forming a golden aura around her body, a dome of holy light. The bolt slammed into it, canceling the two out, leaving nothing left. Then, hands on the ground, the paladin channeled holy light into the stone, blessing it with her energies and making that radiant, golden energy push forward, toward the ascendant once again.

Standing on the consecrated ground, Sozun felt the holy energy rise up from his feet, causing pain like no other. Out from his mouth came an agonizing scream as his body started to shake without control. Eyes full of hate looked upon Annabelle, monstrous voice shouting out, sending tortured echos into the air as he spoke, "Light will not succeed. Be warned... For I will never die... I will continue to haunt this land until I have killed each of you... My darkness is too great to fail."

Then, without another word he fell, but not onto the ground. No, he seemed to fall through the very stone and earth itself, body disappearing, leaving nothing left but the shadow of the fence he stood in. Annabelle watched wide-eyed, looking down where the ascendant once stood, muttering to herself once again, "The... fel was that?"

Meanwhile, it was to the northeast that Sozun retreated, up to the resting place he once knew, Beggar's Haunt. There he raised out from the shadows of a tree, standing besides the graves and long dead men. Angrily he stared out at the small stream, mind enflamed by hate.

"Light... Always it finds a way to scorn me, to try and block my path. But no more. If here is where the light wishes to do battle with my darkness, than here shall that light get its battle."

Sozun sat on the ground. He still felt it, the deep wounds caused by that holy magic. "They will find that this is my land... Duskwood, teetering on the edge of darkness, waiting to be consumed whole. Hide in the brief flashes of sun that still exist here for now they will... They, the adversary... The enemy.. But shadow will unite and consume this land. Shadow simply requires one to unite their totality."

The ascendant turned back to the stream of water, staring into its dark murky depths, "There is work to be done..."
Outbreak

Sozun,

It seems that a force has made itself known in Booty Bay. Lucky for you I was there to stumble upon it. Plague and chaos has been unleashed in the area. It has become the perfect place for harvesting nightmares.... There also seems to be a plot behind it all. Someone is in control but I don't yet know who.

The plague effects the living so I'm in danger if I engage in combat. Instead, I'm avoiding it, sneaking around and gathering information. I ask that you come down here and gather nightmares yourself. Dead as you are, you won't be effected. Also, one of the two demon hunters are here. Along with Annabelle and her allies. Reigen, the blood elf I mentioned who betray Annabelle to save me also seems to be here. From what I've heard she has quite the following now. Mistal is lurking. I've a feeling that he and other members of the Catacombs have their hands in this.

I'll be waiting outside the Bay for you,

Sagi

The letter made its way to Sozun quickly, only in Duskwood himself. That night, he would travel from shadow to shadow, finding Sagi waiting in the jungle outside as promised. When the two next approached the entrance into the bay Sozun lifted a gloved hand for them to pause.

"Remember. My primary objective is to gather nightmares as well as able bodies to act as followers. Fear is ripe in this air as is chaos. Yours is to find out what is truly going on and continue to forge bonds with all sides. The Demon Hunter is a secondary objective. Not only that but we are not sufficiently prepared to deal with such a nightmare if we dared to unleash it. Now is not the time. Instead, let us see how things unfold."

Sagi nodded and the two entered into the outbreak.
"Sagi, this plan will not work. In this land the sun shines through the day and the nights are far too short. In such light my powers are untrustworthy, my strength not at its maximum. You are to collect nightmares. It will be your primary duty. My duty, will be to keep you alive."

Sagi stared Sozun down for a moment before shaking his head, "And how am I supposed to do my job if I'm infected? Not to mention we won't find out anything this way."

"That's the thing. You must become infected. You've forged a temporary cease fire with Annabelle. With the infection willing your thoughts you can fight them freely of blame and collect more nightmares. Also, someone must be pulling the strings. Being one of the rampaging mass will leave you in the center of action at all times. Meanwhile I can coherently watch from the shadows and gain information."

"And what of me? What am I going to do when I'm infected? You don't have a cure nor does anyone else."

Sozun shook his head, "Calm yourself Sagi. The warriors of Light plague to this area to protect it. They will find an answer. With it will come your cure. But you must sacrifice now... Sacrifice control, allow yourself to succumb to this disease. It is a necessary step we must take."

Infection

It was a quick battle. Sword sliced through the flesh of Sagi's chest, breaking open skin and filling his cut veins with diseased blood. As the two mixed Sagi glared angrily at the human, Cayn, infront of him. Picking up his spiked staff he slammed it into the Cayn's face, knocking the human to the ground with the single blow. Shadows wrapped around Sagi's body, almost defensively, as he continued to watch Cayn cautiously.

When the human's sword came up to attack Sagi again light shielded him, from Annabelle's on hands, clashing with the sword and sending it flying. Cayn quickly ran after it and Annabelle after him, leaving Sagi to wander off alone.

The abandoned port authority is where he found shelter, just a few hours later, as the wound started to fester, blackening at the sides, blood starting to clot over with a strange ooze. Sagi cursed, kicking at one of the fallen chairs, rubbing his head.

Damned it... My chest is still so weak... I didn't expect to get wounded there.

He turned around taking in a breath before suddenly going into a fit of coughing, bent over as he started to cough up a disgusting, ill colored blood from his mouth, slowly pouring onto the ground. The coughing turned into vomiting as his hands wrapped around his stomach. Once done, he rose a hand to wipe away the remains around the rim of his lips.

I need to calm down... Remain hidden... Keep in control.

Sagi pushed away a goblin corpse before sitting down in one of the corners, resting himself against the wall. Heavy bags had formed under his eyes as he continued to rub them, feeling weakened.

Rest Sagi... Just rest....

His eyes slid to a close and fell into deep sleep. It was then that Sozun wandered into the room, eyes falling directly on the wound and then looking up to Sagi's face, "You're desire for power makes you willing to do anything." He moved closer, pushing the elf's hat up, "When you next awaken your mind will be flooded with rage... And you'll become lost in your own nightmares... But don't worry. I'll not let a frail lamb like you be slaughtered."

As Sagi would sleep he would twist and turn. Dark dreams would haunt him, disease taking root within his mind. When next he awakened, eyes sliding open, those same haunting images became real, superimposing themselves in his reality. The kaldorei stood, seeing bodies all around the room. The bodies of those killed by the plague... and those killed by his own hand.

The innocent sacrifices, the blood paid in the Catacombs... why, how... how are they here?"

"They are here because you brought them."

Sagi turned, eyes landing on a human, dressed in black robes. His skin was dark, voice deep with a graying beard. "Gladstone...?" Sagi looked at the man in shock.

"Because your greed led to their downfall. How far you've come my friend."

Now behind him came a voice. Turning, Sagi saw another human, dressed in black. "Aemondall.... I don't understand."

"They are coming for you Sagi... lost souls that you destroyed. They are coming with wrath, with rage..."

Haim this time stood in front of the elf, short gnome pointing towards him.

"Come too with your own rage, with your own wrath. Burning strength to lead their destruction," said Gladstone's voice.

"Give in. Let the darkness set. Destroy false justice. Find your own way," muttered Aemondall.

Then the three seemed to fade into the background as Sagi's eyes landed upon another, a male Kaldorei, white hair with a greenish tinted blade on his back. The two stared into each others eyes for a moment before Sagi felt wrath overtake his mind. The illusionary world faded then, but Sagi could not see into reality any longer. Shadow wrapped around his body until he shifted forms, now existing in that semi-tangible state.

"Death... give me power. Today is the day that I burn our signs into the world."

All at once, around him appeared hallucinations once again. The four sacrifices he made, back in Elwynn, each engraved with a single word. They appeared on crosses, surrounding him. Each read in blood. Respect, Tenacity, Power, Death. Religious fervor now fueling his actions, Sagi walked back into the bay, staff at hand, engulfed in the chaos that was his mind.
From us no other service than to keep
This one, this easy charge, of all the trees
In Paradise that bear delicious fruit
So various, not to taste that only Tree
Of Knowledge planted by the Tree of Life.
So near grows death to life, whate'er death is,
Some dreadful thing no doubt, for well thou know'st
God hath pronounced it death to taste that tree,
The only sign of our obedience left
Among so many signs of pow'r and rule
Conferred upon us, and dominion giv'n
Over all other creatures that possess
Earth, air, and sea.
-Milton, Paradise Lost

33 Days

Sagi laid within the Catacombs, his body kept medicated, kept asleep while still suffering from the effects of the plague. While he slept he dreamt, dreamt and remembered as he mind flowed down his stream of memories.

Tall peaks, great mountains, surrounded, walled them in. Walled in the lucious world, the green grass, the exotic creatures, and the chaoitic elementals, all together in the god land's harmony. Standing, facing each other, were two men. One monsterous, a dark fiend from the shadows. The second was truly a man, a man who wished to be a monster.

"Of all the powers you could choose, of all the forces to make your goal... You seek out the dark, the cursed. What could make shadow as the logical answer? Many are the powers derived from the light, the arcane, even the blade. Yet, its corrupted power that drives you. Death is what you adore and lust after."

So spoke the monster but the man quickly retorted.

"Shouldn't you understand? The both of us are here for the same reason aren't we? Both chasing after dark powers, racing to become wielder of so many shadows... How can you fault me, call me illogical, when you are obviously following the same path?"

"Quite the fool you are. I was born of shadow, of darkness. It is my very essence. I do not exist outside of it. I am your own Nightmare. Yet you, you were born in the light. You had access to that realm, you still have access to it. Still, you seek what is forbidden... And it is my duty as a citizen of the shadows to protect that forbidden magic from your hands."

The monster rose his blade in the air, its green gleam dulled by the dark night, slashing downward with great force. His sword met with the wicked spikes, the black staff of the man, sending sparks into the darkness, briefly lighting the features all around. The man glimpsed the monster in those moments, his white hair and strong warrior build. Then the shadows took him again and they disengaged.

Day 31

Sagi sat in a crowded Catacomb's arena. Below he saw a sword deliever its final blow, striking through a human's chest. Then a fist to the gut before the sword was pulled clean out and the soon to be dead man fell crumpled on the floor. Raising the bloodied sword high was a Sin'dorei and down came another to raise his other hand in the air.

Sagi turned his head to look at the hooded figure sitting next to him, "Another strong one for our next target then...?"

"Yes... That one will do well. We mustn't stop collecting. I want you to deal with him as soon as possible. I'm giving you two days for this one. Deal with him as soon as he ripens."

Sagi nodded, standing up and leaving the arena. It would be later that night that Sagi would find the Sin'dorei alone in Deadwind. Wicked spikes started to dimly glow with black magic...

Day 2

Runeblade clashed against against Sagi's staff before pushing the kaldorei backwards, no match for a death knight's strength. The runeblade touched the ground, bony fingers loosening their grip on it as a metal jaw unhinged with a croak, "That's all you got? Please. I'll swallow you whole!"

Sagi let out a sigh, tipping his hat up. "You won't win this Xeonart... Don't make me kill you. Stand aside and let me pass. This is your last warning."

The runeblade glowed with a blue chilly energy as Xeonart spoke, "Warning me? Please. This is the end for you boy. After this, I won't have to deal with you ever again!" With a strong swing ice and winds launched themselves at Sagi, blowing him away into the Tanaris desert sands. The frost chilled Sagi to the bone and the cool desert night gave him no warmth, just the continuous cold gust.

Sagi got back to his feet, planting his staff into the sand and holding firmly, "Last warning, stand down."

A chuckle came from Xeonart's mouth, his upper lip twisted upwards while his metalic bottom one stood still, creating a sad mockery of a smile, "What makes you so confident? Face it. You've been outmatched. Its over."

"I can summon them now Xeonart..." A smile crawled over Sagi's lips, his staff glowing a faint purple, "All the deaths I caused... Did you think they would end up being for nothing? I've strengthened this staff enough. Its special now... Within it lies so many nightmares..." When the knight did not speak Sagi gave his own light chuckle, "Why did you think Sozun would send you? He knows how close I'm getting to the tome. Closer than he bothered. Actually I wonder if even now he's trying to decide which one of us to bet on."

Xeonart's eyes narrowed, glaring the elf down "Don't flatter yourself. You're nothing but a fool. Sozun's eyes are for the staff and the staff only."

"Sozun's eyes are for power. And I can bet you he's wondering. Wondering whether he should snatch the staff from my hands and risk never unlocking these powers... Or allow me to unlock them and wield them to his advantage. Looks like the only fool here is you... I know perfectly well where I stand, in the same spot as you." Sagi locked eyes with Xeonart and saw him hesitate to speak. Quickly, the kaldorei raised his voice, continuing on, "Is that fear Xeonart...? Are your own nightmares peaking from that undead surface...?" His staff started to glow more visibly, a dark purple aura forming around it.

Before another word could be spoken a bright green bolt flew through the sky, hitting Xeonart right in the chest and knocking him backwards. Sagi paused, turning his head. Standing atop one of the dunes in the distance was a figure, obscured by the darkness. As the figure advanced fel continued to rain down on Xeonart. Then came his yell, "You dare command me! Try to twist my purpose for your own bidding! I am a servant to no one but justice and today justice tells me with burning passion that you must fall!"

Sagi's eyes widdened. "The voice, those words... Gladstone..."

He was right. Gladstone approached, flinging fel and now flame from his hands, maddened with rage. In the midst of the onslaught all Xeonart could do was defend and dodge, trying to protect himself from the painful magic as it worked against him. Sagi on the other hand smirked. He took his chance, moving away from the battle and towards the rock path. Once on it, he descended downward, into Un'goro.

Day 6

Sagi and Sozun entered into the forests of Duskwood, peering into the darkness.

So many nights of travel... Sozun's weakness keept me from traveling during the day... But now... finally, we've reached the end.

"Duskwood and Deadwind... In these two lands we will remain, lands controlled by fear. Lands trapped in shadow. Here your staff will best collect nightmares. The citizens of Darkshire are filled with fear and a few deaths here and there will alert no one. Then, there are stronger nightmares to harvest from the Catacombs... Men who believe themselves prophets and gods on their own dark paths. Powerful they are but really they too have great fears... Often even greater because they so well know the dark."

"And you?"

"If a Nightmare happens to surface... One too great for you to handle then I will be there to destroy it." Sagi opened his mouth to speak but Sozun raised a hand, "The dagger I gave you is strong yes but it will not save you from powerful Nightmares... I should not have to tell you that there are forces beyond you that must be respected."

Sagi nodded, turning his head, "Very well. Lead the way and I'll start collecting."

Day 7

"Please... please leave us alone..." A woman stood infront of her crying child, hands shaking while clasped together. The little boy hugged her legs fearfully.

Sagi looked at the two for a moment, meeting the woman's sad eyes. Then he turned away, clenching his teeth. "I'm sorry but I need you... and the child." The spikes glowed with dark power before screams filled the air.

Day 13

"What today Sozun?"

"Today.. you must start to collect stronger nightmares. Today, we enter the Catacombs. Avoid those that you may have known. Its important we stay anonymous. These powers that we search for... would be attractive to such greedy men... But such powers are not for them."

"Do you already have a target for me?"

"Yes."

Day 21

Sagi's staff flew through the air before slaming into the dirt by a tree, a few meters away. With a curse the elf turned his head only to feel a huge green fist smack into his face and launch him the opposite way.

"I kill you," screamed out the orc. He rushed forward again both hands slamming down. Quickly, Sagi dispersed away, reforming behind a tree while trying to calm his breathing.

Darned it... I don't know where my staff is and he's too strong. I don't know if I can make it through this...

Sagi turned his head to look behind the tree at the orc. It was silent, staring blankly at the ground. The kaldorei' s eyebrows raised up confused.

What's he doing?

Then suddenly, the orc fell to his knees. Shadow rose up from his body and took form, rising up and coiling around. Sagi suddenly ran from his spot, looking around for his staff while muttering to himself aloud, "Oh crap, oh crap... One monster from the shadow plane coming up and I can't find my staff!" His eyes landed on something gleaming and quickly he ran towards it. Releasing a sigh, Sagi found his staff and picked it up, looking at its spikes, "Well I've at least got you..." His head turned to face the ever shifting shadows, "But if I couldn't deal with that orc before... how do I face his nightmare...?"

Fierce eyes suddenly opened from the shadows, staring down Sagi with purple irises. The kaldorei gulped down before muttering to himself again, "Now would be a good time to get Sozun..."

Day 1

"What is it you want with me Sozun?"

The ascendant pointed towards the case on the table, "Open it Sagi."

With a frown, Sagi did as he was told. He flipped up the case and looked inside. Laying there was a single dagger, serrated at the edges, sharp at the tip. When Sagi picked it up dark energy flowed all around it, an unstable aura of power.

"You want to find the Tome of Nightmares...? It will take more than the power you've collected. After all, you'll have to face your own Nightmare right? He's waiting for you in Un'goro. Cut him down with this dagger. You will see that it will not fail you."

"Why are you helping me?"

At this Sozun laughed, his voice releasing echos all around, "I'm not helping you. I'm helping myself. Regardless of the victor in your own personal struggles I'll find a way to profit and win. Good luck to you Sagi."

Day 2

Sagi stood across from the white haired Kaldorei.

"Why do I seek forbidden magic you ask...? Why do I chase after it?" Sagi smirked, putting his staff on his back. His body shifted to shadowform before the dagger seemed to materialize itself in Sagi's hands, made of the stuff of shadows, just like him. "Because through knowledge... through the powers of death I can empower myself. I can become immortal, becoming everlasting. None of those other powers can do that. Thats why we have access to them... But the forbidden, the forbidden carries the greatest risk but certainly the reward is worth the cost. Now allow me to show you that I will never fall to fear!"

The two charged each other and their battle raged on.
Foreshadowing: The Grim Fate

"One is no longer enough... Especially with all the time that has been wasted. The pieces must fall into place with greater speed Sagi... Another must be chosen to help you. Pick carefully, for the wielder of a third staff such as this must have a thirst for power. Obedience does not matter. He is simply a tool and if he gathers strength at a greater pace... we will aim his rage in the right direction."

"What do you want me to do?"

"First, find this tool and give him the same power that is embedded in your staff. Second... you must make yourself ready. You cannot continue to cling to life the way it once was. Embrace what you still find forbidden... Let go Sagi, forget what society once made you. Accept only the dark instinct that was reborn inside of you."

"And what does that mean? Or will you only talk with meaningless words and not just give me actions?"

"What does it mean? You tell me... Ringmaster. Last I remember you came to the banks of Duskwood and Elwynn with purpose. Four acts as I commanded of you. Respect and Tenacity you claimed to have mastered... So what's left young disciple?"

Sagi looked to the ground solemnly, "The acts of power and death..."

"Then you have not forgotten.. And look how you have developed... You're ready to show them the tricks of the Ringmaster once again. Listen to me carefully... Once you have found the a suitable wielder of a third staff make preparations... Last you came here you made them face the virtues through symbol. This time, awaken the symbols... Summon the true Nightmares they contain, let them surface. Summoning all four will be your act of power."

"You want me t-"

Sozun's echoing voice boomed out, "No, I want the Ringmaster to unleash the darkness he hides within! Give up on all you were taught before, finally renounce it. Stay the Ringmaster forever. Sagi Nightwhisper must exist no longer. Let everything about him die with his very name!"

"Very well. Then I take my leave. I know the perfect third. A human named Aroes... I've heard rumor.. he should do well. I leave you to your work Ascendant."

Sagi departed and Sozun turned, staring up into the skies and speaking, "Famine to bring the first attack... Conquest to bring the second. Then my Forsaken will bring forth the new gospel to men... Teachings of the end, the apocalypse of humanity. And finally, this young Sinner, he will bring forth the virtues to slam into their world. Such is the start of darkness to come... Such is the will of the Grim Fate that forces us all along. And the rule it seeks to establish..."
The Imperfect Angel

A young woman sat at a table in one of the many book-filled rooms of the Cathedral in Stormwind. Violet eyes stared out at nothing as she leaned back in her chair. A simple oaken staff leaned against a nearby wall. Her dress was equally simple, not at all the embroidered robes of the other religious. A dark tunic and pants covered her wirey and muscled form, certainly not the build of a Cathedral-dwelling priestess--nor the build of a paladin.

This one was an outsider; Or, at least, a prodigal daughter.

Her name: Annabelle Marie Greene.

For the past year and over she had hunted, chased, and eventually aided in killing one Sagi Nightwhisper. The kaldorei had posed as the simple ringmaster of a circus troupe. In reality, the troupe was a cover for an incursion of the Forgotten Shadow into Elwynn. Four signs had been ordered, each reflecting a tenet of the forgotten shadow, each involving the ritualistic murder of citizens of Elwynn--Save for the first anyway: The boy chosen for Respect was allowed to survive to show respect to the Shadow's enemies, or such the note at the site read.

Sagi had also ended Annabelle's life. But, she had taken Tenacity to heart and returned a week or so later. She had gained new Power a while after that when given the chance to train as a paladin, but had decided her true path and power lay in the priesthood. She no longer feared Death, having experienced it twice. Sagi's mate, Therai Nightglade, had said she was a good student in that regard. She learned to Respect Shadow instead of fear it as she did in her early days in the Cathedral: learned to see the balance of Light and Shadow.

Annabelle had learned of a shadow behind Sagi. Nameless, something that struck terrible fear in those that failed him. Later, she had learned its name: Sozun Croz.

A Shadow Ascendent.

From Elwynn to Tanaris, to Outland, to the depths of the Catacombs, to the highest Titan tower in the Stormpeaks: The young woman had traveled so not only in her persuit of Sagi. Other enemies had risen along the way--as did allies, friends, loved ones. Some had been lost, to either death or corruption.

Still the young woman walked on. Though she missed her simple life as a naive young acolyte with her parents on their farm in Elwynn, she would not stop. Would not look back, save to cherish those memories. It was memories that strengthened her: the bonds between herself and others.

That was her Light. A great web of friendship and love. One string might break now and then, but it was quickly repaired or replaced or reinforced. Still, one could always see scars on the new thread.

After all this time, you still do not see me, Sozun. Am I so small? Am I such a tiny flicker of a candle in your great Darkness?

The young woman tilted her head back, thick raven hair spilling over the chair. Her eyes closed.

We fought did we not? Did you assume me some passing errant knight? You didn't expect resistance then as you did not expect resistance in Elwynn.

Does the great Ascendent not even know one of his own tenets? Have you forgotten Respect?

You could be so much more, Anna...

Aroes. You failed to break me, failed to turn me to Shadow. But...perhaps you are right. It has been a long while since I was taught in the priesthood. I should take up the mantle of the acolyte again. But, even you do not see me, as close to me as you are.

I, Diel'Vani Novalight, along with the Kings and Queens of the other Courts, do hereby name you Queen of the Osa Court. Stand, and don your new garments in accordance with your position, your Highness. They can be found in the leather satchel, along with information on your aids and others in your court. As well as...two items. Relics. Each court has such items, but they are exceedingly difficult and dangerous to acquire. Only two before you have possessed them. I do not advise you seek them out.

Perhaps I shall.

A long sigh, a tired sigh, and the young woman lifts her head and pushes herself up to stand. For a few moments she remains as such, hands on the table, gaze down on the wooden surface.

I have to warn Berem as well. I don't know what Sozun and Sagi have planned in Duskwood, but Berem's moving the Hand there.

Antia's been asked to keep an eye out in Penumbra. I'm sure Sozun will use them.

She straightens fully and looks to her staff. She steps over to it, and grips it in both hands, the shaft parallel to the ground. The simple weapon is set upon her back. She turns on her heel and exits the room.

You could be so much more, Anna...

I already am.
(As a note. Along with the Reboot of the Circus I am in the process of making a new plot-line to be followed that will provide a more open opportunity for players to get involved than my last couple have... Expect a new thread to appear soon following a different story, though I'm not retconning any of this. Simply changing direction a bit.)