Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Concerning: Unique Ethnicity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now before I post my actual question, I want to make certain that all who would read this post know that I realize you can't have a character from Germany, or from Canada, or from any other convenient or inconvenient corner of the Earth simply because Earth does not exist in WoW.

That being said, is it possible to have a character that portrays attributes from a familiar ethnic group not often found in WoW?

For instance, perhaps an Arab-like character from the desert of Tanaris? Or a Russian-like gypsy character from Desolace? Or any number of ethnic-like character given a detailed background of how and why they are the way they are.

It seems, in my opinion, that we are given to few options when it comes to character development. Say if you're human, you can either live in a capital city, or be brought up in a handful of scattered towns. Just wondering if it's possible to break away from that even slightly.

(And for the record, if my argument seems pointless or very poorly thought out, it's because it is ridiculously late here. -End Excuse-)
There would have to be an example of it found in-game, and for the most part there isn't.

Blizzard tends to use these things for other races. For example, our Scottish Dwarves and our Russian Draenei.
...*grabs a large, large club and smashes Grakor*

I'm the only Russian here, and I intend to keep it that way.

Not actually, I want another Russian I can speak Russian to. :(
I think that you can use it to describe your character, but you can of course not say that he's a russian. The describtion of your character is trying to make other people, get an idea that excists purely in your head, so if it's easier to express by saying he looks like a russian I think that's perfectly fine.

Dalgar
I'm the only Scottish person here? I think...
I heard this from a friend, but I can't ensure the facts are correct but. Aren't Stormwindians tanned due to the hot climate, and aren't Lordaeronians pale due to the dark weather?

Also, this could be assumed that dark-skinned Humans originate from Stranglethorn Vale.

And, surely, couldn't an arab/african-based Human originate from Tel'Abim or something?

Just some thoughts/ideas.
What about the present ethnicities in game?

Such as the "Chinese" weapons master in Stormwind, Woo Ping?
I think you could have a human character that shares cultural traits to a gypsy (even the stereotyped ones; I think being nomadic is common in WoW), but not an actual Roma. Given their diplomacy, a constantly wandering human isn't that far a stretch.

Depending on your human's age vs. the time period of the server, they could've been born various places to adapted ethnicities in the EK above Stranglethorn, and also Kirin Tor. Stranglethorn Vale has no long-term human societies; Kurzen's Compound doesn't count. It's too troll ridden.

I don't think Blizzard takes too hard in account on visual trait origins/ethnicities for humans in WoW itself. This is understandable, as it helps with marketing and doesn't bring anything 'too close to home.' I kind of like it that way myself.

Orcs are black people btw.
TwilightDisciple Wrote:Orcs are black people btw.

lul
TwilightDisciple Wrote:I don't think Blizzard takes too hard in account on visual trait origins/ethnicities for humans in WoW itself. This is understandable, as it helps with marketing and doesn't bring anything 'too close to home.' I kind of like it that way myself.

Fair enough, I just get the feeling that quite a few players are getting corralled and limited with what they can actually do. Me personally, I would -love- to see how someone would role play a gypsy, I mean, there is a lot of potential there.

Anywho, I think we're arguing the finer details now, the original question has been answered.

Is it acceptable to create a character with ethnic traits?
Yes. As long as you can support it in-game as well as provide applicable background.

......But French Nurses are right out.
Temple Wrote:......But French Nurses are right out.

And French maids. I kinda hate that.

...Although they don't have to be French... <_< >_>
There's a "gypsy" line of armor, so I presume "gypsy" is okay, just remember that can cover a WIDE range of ethnicities.

(FYI, I'm in the "Draenei aren't Russian, they're more Greek/Sanskrit/Slavic and probably based off popular ideas of Romani" group)

There are nomads in the Tanaris desert, which could well be similar to other desert nomad people.

Actually, Blizzard has a penchant for drawing on popular ideas of cultures for races, areas, or just a few individuals. If there's something you want to play and aren't sure how you could make it fit with existing lore, please PM me! I'd be happy to see if we can't work out something appropriate. (It would then have to be cleared by GMs, of course, but this is almost a hobby of mine.)
Draenei are more Romanian than Russian, anyway. They just decided to confuse a whole bunch of people who don't know where "Gypsies" originate from.
Which is silly when you think about it. Gypsies call themselves Romani. It makes sense that they would come from the area we now regard as Romania.
Romani ≠ Romania though, they're not the same place. They were just slaves there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_people

According to that chart, Russia has only 100,000 gypsies.
Pages: 1 2