Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: My Deepest Apologies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I regret having to tell everyone that I will not be online for an unknown period of time. I got into a verbal tussle with my family that I live with over the 'legality' of this server. In return, they have cut off my internet access.

So, I will miss you all very deeply. And to all the wonderful roleplays I was involved with, I regret not being able to take part in them again.
I will still manage to check the forums when I visit my boyfriend's house, but for the most part, you will not see dear Sharlai for quite a while.
I'll miss the barrenschat insanity. :D And everyone. I promise I'll be back permanently in January :P
Aww, just when things were getting fun. Don't apologize, you can't control the circumstances that your parents have tossed upon you. You still should give a try reasoning with them, since the legality issues of private servers is about the same as tearing the tag off your mattress. Technically? It's illegal. Is anyone going to do anything about it? No. Blizzard would have too much on their plates to deal with all the private servers and their players- you're talking thousands of people. As long as the private server isn't making money off their game, Blizzard frankly doesn't care- just like the mattress companies don't care so long as you don't sue them because your child suffocated himself in it and your tag is ripped off.

In any case, see you around once in the whiles I see you. :(
That sucks. But you know, I'm sure by the time your back, there'll be lots of cake here for you. You don't need to apologize. These things happen and when your back, we will rejoice! :D
I'll miss Shar's quirkyness :O

Ah well. I'm sure you'll miss us just as much as we miss you :3
Nooo!!! Sharrr!! :( Who will I sick on scottish men?! You can't leavveee mee!!
:( *sniffle* Well... Hope everything works out.
Well, mates. Things aren't a total loss. Thanks to Bolshe's research I might be able to convince my parents they won't all go to jail cause I was playing on a private server.
With less luck, I just have to wait on my original laptop to get fixed since the problem my parents had was me playing on my mom's laptop using their Internet connection.
If I can get it all working I shouldn't be gone longer than a month. Hopefully.
Why do they think they're going to go to jail? Blizzard doesnt APPROVE of private servers, but it isn't a crime. By buying World of Warcraft, you bought the rights to use it... Retail or not.
Well, the thing is. They -could- shut down the server, but the worste they could do to you legally is ban you from having a WoW live account.

I mean, what could they really charge you for?
Exactly. It's rather silly that your parents/family think they could go to jail over a game.
Actually, you guys are wrong-

Playing WoW on a private server technically is a crime- and that's a major technically. In fact, it's so major that it's become a gray area debated even by Blizzard reps. But, thing is- Blizzard doesn't care. They'd have too much on their plates to deal with every schmoe who changes their server files to play on a private server. Yes, Blizzard can see when you change your server files. They can track if you've been to a private server. Can they ban you? Hell yes they can. The thing is, they probably won't because it's just waaay too much hassle- and you'd really have to do something to make them want to stop taking your money. Private server or not, if you have an account on Blizzard's servers- you're making them money.

The only person who is at any real risk here is Kretol- but even that risk is so minimal that it's utterly ridiculous. First of all, Kretol is catering to such a miniscule audience in comparison to other servers like WoWScape or Crimson WoW- if, and that's a BIG if- Blizzard decided to crack down on private servers again, he would not be even close to their top priorities.

Bottom line, Blizzard doesn't care enough. They only really care about the scripts like Ludmilla/Kobold- and can't do a think about Ludmilla since it's in Russia. They also care if the server makes people pay money, since that's a serious legal issue. Otherwise, they don't care. They just don't.
As far as I'm aware, the worst that could happen would be a cease and desist order from Blizz, shutting down the server, and possibly banning accounts that are currently active on the live servers. At least, that's what I remember.

Would they be upset? Yeah. Would it suck? Yes, absolutely, but we'd live. Would you go to jail? No.

If anyone has further information or can correct me, that's fine.

(Ah, I see Bolshe has more complete information above, which is in keeping with what I've seen elsewhere.)
But her parents/family wouldnt be going to jail. They arn't going to target one family, etc. Her parents/family probably don't play WoW, and if they do, they wouldnt play a private server.
It is really silly. But arguing with my step-dad is nigh impossible. No worries though.
I'm still holding out hope that they'll realize their silliness.

And yes they do play wow. My dads "evidence" that blizz is prosecuting is an article from 2003. D'oh.
But he doesn't play on a private server. : )
A quick note--this can be discussed into the ground, but it will likely not change the situation as it is. The information that needed to be covered has been, and at this point discussing it is just flogging a dead horse. If you'd like to, go ahead, but I doubt it will go any further.
Pages: 1 2