Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Speaking out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey everyone!

Now, I understand that this might just seem out of place to some, perhaps cause a hate wave to roll on me or just certain individuals to hate for the rest of my life, but alas I am willing to take the risk and share with you (even those who might not care) my personal concerns about CotH. This is something that I have wanted to get off my chest for a very long time and I can not sit quietly any more.

First of all, I do not intend or mean to offend anyone. If it may occur to some that I may be trying, then I apologize since some of us are a bit more sensitive than the others. I do not intend to point fingers or hammer down any individuals as either way, they will know that I am talking about them. But don't take this personally as all of this are problems of the community and should be handled and overcome by all of us. This might also come as a rant, but I hope you understand and take in the points I want to stress out.

Now, I have been here for quite a while now (Oct 31, 2008) and I've been through fire and ice with CotH. We've all seen and had hardships and we've managed to overcome them so far, but while we were busy fighting the visible enemy, we've overlooked an enemy among us. It is no secret anymore that CotH is becoming an empty shell of what it once was and it saddens me greatly. A lot of great people left and more and more keep leaving. The drama that has been plaguing CotH just doesn't stop. We quiet it down, but it returns with more power every time consuming us from within one step at a time.

Most of you don't even know me. Why? It's because that I have become distant and closed from the community lurking in the shadows. Yes, I admit it and that makes me a horrible person, but alas it was the only way I saw fit to close myself away from the drama. Just put myself in quarantine. And I'm not much of a do-er, I'm more of a talker and that is a weakness, but it does not make me weak, because what truly makes you strong is turning your weakness into a strength.
I haven't joined Chat or Barrenschat for around a year now or so and on the forums... I just... stopped being a part of the community. This isolation finally got to me as I can no longer bare this alone. The least I can do is try to be heard. Why? Because a GM once said, regarding STV RP that it's an individual that can move the RP. I do not agree. An individual is weak and can not achieve what can be achieved when working together like a team, like a community that we are. That is what made CotH special and stand out, that is what made it the best WoW RP server there is. The people. This is why we must finally pull together and make a difference. Just sitting there and waiting, hoping that the GMs or some lone wolf will fix everything is just ignorant. No lone wolf can help us, nor the GMs if we do not pull together as one in support.

I agree that we've been getting some interesting individuals in CotH recently and some of them have been received negatively for a reason. I myself experienced some of the "better" aspects of new people; such as being publically told to f**k off via LFG for suggesting to leave STV for some SW or Elwynn RP. Sure. Sure. But that does not mean that all the new people are like that and that there aren't old CotHers like that. Because of this, some of the new people have not been receiving the appropriate welcome and they begin to get the wrong idea about CotH and the community. However, I've seen some of you welcome newcomers quite warmly even during these hard times and I thank you as you light that spark of hope that keeps me here. It still shows me that CotHers are willing to fight for a positive future.

The drama train wasn't such a big concern to most of us because this still remained a utopia for RP, but now there is a serious rival to CotH. You know what I am talking about, don't you? I know you've been reading about it and I know you've noticed people leave for there. However, I myself don't see it as a rival, because the whole idea they offer has been attempted many times, maybe just a bit different, on different games and it always didn't last long, because... lets face it: it's about being an egocentrical jerk and RPGer. What they offer is RPG (Role-Playing Game), not RP (RolePlay). It's almost as if playing normal retail WoW, but adding aspects of mediocre RP. People will spend more time buffing out their characters instead of actually RPing just for the fun of it.

LFG, GMI and I bet Chat and Barrens have been recently boiling a bit more. I've noticed a few arguments spark out or just people policing LFG in a rude manner. Mind you, it has been asked of us not to police chats and leave it for a GM, but if you honestly have that itch to do it or if there is not GM around, then please, please, please be RESPECTFUL. It's a rule for a reason! Ask politely to move it to the appropriate channel instead of telling them to STFU and GTFO or better yet, just leave it alone.
If you are having some anger managment issues or someone is bothering you either ask politely to stop or take a break. A break can make the difference between you coming back happily to RPing and a huge wall-o-text of drama and you hating someone causing a prolonged drama train. Learn to forgive and remember that you can always walk away and /ignore. If it gets way out of hand then that's what the GMs are there for. NEVER jump into drama arguments. Learn to accept other's opinions even if they're obviously wrong. Point it out in a friendly manner that they are wrong or find a way to work around it instead of shoving it straight into their face making you look like a wiseguy. Face it: Nobody likes a showoff. Lets all try to be friendly like a community should be; leave the negativity behind, be patient and seriously... if things are getting to you, don't rage out of CotH, but take a short break to blow off some steam before you reach the boiling point and explode like some of us already have.

Along with this the quality of RP has severly fallen due to TEATIME IN STV! At the Meet n' Greet a lot of people agreed that STV needs to GTFO, but there is still nothing being done or not being done enough. Get out more! I understand that a lot of people just log on and go to where the most peeps are at and then the next one comes and does the same. Next thing we know 20 people in STV, 10 people on GMI and 2 people raiding or farming for gold. Want to make a difference? Then get yourself and your friends to RP out of STV. Once again. This is a community issue and should be dealt with as a single team. Alone we can't make much of a difference, but together...

Now that I got this rock off of my chest I am ready to face the unforseen consequences for this post. I hope that it does remind someone what CotH used to be about and you'll all understand how much I like all of you and this server. I just hope that we can finally put a stop to the drama that has been increasing recently and overcome this together. Heh... the entire point I had in mind is just like in that Coca-Cola commercial: Give a little love and it all comes back to you. Basically - karma and oh so very true.

Once again sorry if I sounded too bland and some of my language or if I offended anyone. It was not my aim.

Much love CotH,
Aisha
As someone who has been on CotH for some time now and who have been playing on private RP servers even a bit longer, I think you have missed one important thing. People leave all the time, they always will. Why? Because WoW RP, or any RP, or any game, just can't hold people's interest for that long. For some this can mean weeks, others months for others it can be years. I won't deny that we have drama here, but have you stayed on other RP communities for any significant amount of time? It comes with the territory and CotH, while having it's bad moment, is a lot better off than most places due to the core wonderfully positive 'culture' we have here. Though I am sure some will disagree, this is my view on the matter.

The fact is that for everyone that leaves, we get someone else. We have had an influx of great people and if we compare today with three years ago I would say that the RP quality is not only better but more widespread as well. I mean seriously, I look back with nostalgia too, I miss a lot of people I used to hang out with... but realize that that doesn't mean the overall experience were better back then. CotH has become bigger, and often I find myself isolated as you, I don't hang out with many from this community... but that is my own choice, if I wanted to I could get in and interact and get new friends to hang about on GMI or whatever with. When you yourself state that you've cut yourself off, not even joining Chat, I don't see how you can judge us as being lesser than what we once were.

During my entire stay on CotH people have always complained about how it was better back in the days, how this or that was cooler, how there was more freedom/stricter, how there were less trolls, or more jokers... and on and on. Sorry if I go off here, but seriously? It's just silly trying to bring back some past that, in truth, you only remember the best parts of. It's only human, but we have to keep it in mind.
CotH > Prologue

Fin
Oh... You have no idea how long I've spent with some communities to see them just eat eachother's throats out. Sure, people do leave for lack of interest, but what I really meant is the ragequitting and the fact that people tend to get worked up about small things recently. That is the issue. I also do not deny that some of the new people are awesome and I did mention it along with bad people always being here and new ones coming too.

Yes, you can't really bring back the old days, but you must admit that there was less drama which is what slowly eats us away. Leave it unchecked and we're finished here.

Widespread? You mean 25/8 non stop STV BElf on NElf action? I'm sorry, but really. STV is still on top of everything and being told to f**k off for suggesting to leave STV kind of makes me wonder about you claiming it to be widespread.

The quality of RP? Better? Perhaps with some individuals that came to CotH. Yes. That is true, but then again there is a bigger amount of bad RP than there used to be. Sure it's because we're bigger, but the problem is that people don't want to politely show the way to those who RP at a mediocre level. Instead I've seen a lot of people just flip out about how BAD someone's RP is and only a select few and mainly GMs being friendly.

And Prologue won't last long. It'll get overrun by egocentric trolls.
Being as I'm on my phone at the moment, I'll just say to please not turn this into any debate between servers. I'll respond with something better when I get home, though.

(Posted from teh phonez)
Well, here's the thing about STV.

If people enjoy it, let the RP there. So long as they don't do anything lore breaking, it's cool. People enjoy neutral RP. Let them have it.

And to be honest. I don't see this drama. We seem to have let it all go by, and the server's at a state of peace at the moment. Perhaps there's a bit of drama kicking up about Prologue, but concerning that. Chaps, we're all on the same side. No need to be dissin' other servers. :P
The big point here seems to be the dislike for Booty Bay RP, which is fine as it is not everybody's cup of tea. That being said, on my days off from college when I do get an almost around the clock look at the community you do see a lot of people at Booty Bay(which is fine because sometimes the tavern RP gets really fun there) and GMI(which is more disturbing to me). However, that is not to say that you do not see small groups of 3-7 people in other places such as Silvermoon, Stormwind, or various other zones.

Also, I see no drama at all, never anything close to a negative word, unless it is IC
People can dislike Booty Bay if they want, but people will RP there because its the least strict area in WoW, short of the wilderness. Goblins don't have rules, except don't disturb business. Races can congregate and RP in a relatively combat free zone, thus making the RP there very tantalizing for the people who begin there, then there are the people who see its very populated, and think, why the hell not? Not that I approve of all this 'filler' RP. It's far too easy to be cut off for lack of anything to talk about, or worse, the conversation dissolves to "So, how about this weather?" (I jest, that's not what people actually say). And there have been far too many times where my own characters just end up sitting around because they're not BB regulars and nobody wants to talk with them (Poor Pops, sitting in a corner. D:)

I personally think the way to cut off the filler RP is to make more events in the craziest place you can think of. The scene alone provides for at least some interest, and then you can work around that (I.E. Stonetalon. Nobody RPs there regularly, at all. Thus, event, contested area, RP profit.)
@Reese I didn't talk to Pops because he was weird...

You have a point with those event ideas though. A lot of good could be done with some well created Events. Unfortunately, we do not see enough of them. Nobody's fault in particular, it's just hard to plan out a well populated event because people's schedules just don't mesh together well enough sometimes.
Though I am a bit of an unknown, new player around here... I want to say something about this too.

I've played on official Rp-Servers and private Rp-Servers, both of them mostly in my native language. I can not say what CotH was like in the past - I oviously wasn't here that time and therefore I can't really compare the past and present CotH now. And after comparing the present Coth with the Servers I played before - the complaints, arguments and raging here are simply nothing to be.. hum.. I don't know if I can say "nothing to be worried about". What I experienced at some servers was... well... let's say unpleasent and reaches back to days where we heard that someone was "visited" by someone he met at Rp and was beaten up till he was in a hospital and all because they argued sometime about some things in Rp. ( Yes, that really, REALLY happened and I am glad that I was far away from that community. )

Roleplayers can be very difficult. I personally think it is like that because they are putting much heart into their characters and their role-playing. That's what makes us people so interesting - amongst 100 people you get 100 different ideas. And you have to admit - If everyone of us had the same experience, the same likings, the same opinions... well, wouldn't that just be boring? Someone once said that arguing is healthy - and I personally believe this is right. It's good to let out steam once in a while and confront the people you are arguing with. ( In a proper manner of course. )

I think CotH is healthy. It features nice people, funny people and of course also serious people. And like I was told by someone, you have some white sheeps and some black sheeps here. Hell... maybe you also have "gray" sheeps.

As for STV... yes, it is a focus point for Rp, mostly for people who look for other people that..."you know what I mean". But... I have also seen some very good and normal conversations there. Booty Bay is just attractive because it's in a bay and features this "Pirate" feeling which is liked by many and if someone doesn't like it.... there is no need to be there. Roleplay can be found - either as you search for it, do some little plot or event or even if you are invited to some Rp. It all happened to me here in such a short time that I was simply amazed.

And that's what CotH is for me after this short time. A Rp server that simply amazes - despite not knowing it's past or everyone that is playing here. I'm glad that I clicked at the little google-link that time and I'm as sure as I can be, that I'll stay here for a long, long time.

Greets,

Beala

P.S. - I'm sorry for some broken english and grammar. *laughs* I'm doing the best I can - but I think I'm somewhat understandable.
Xigo Wrote:No need to be dissin' other servers. :P

PFFT. Telling people not to be worried about the other serves, Xigo? Are you crazy? I mean, its not like Kret plays on the other ser-

Kretol Wrote:Bleh. Apparently I have an account that has my email address associated properly, but I don't have a secret question/answer. Without those, I can't seem to reset my password, of which all the ones I would have used don't work. Bleh!

Oh.

EDIT:
Quote:(I.E. Stonetalon. Nobody RPs there regularly, at all. Thus, event, contested area, RP profit.)

Well that example is just silly.
Rigley Wrote:Well that example is just silly.

Nay thee!

Also, went on Prologue Forums.
Lost interest in a matter of seconds.
My face when:

Spoiler:
[Image: link_raep_face_by_linkrapefaceplz.png]
Right, right. The matter at hand. It's not about some other server.

The thing is that if you don't see drama or cold and negative behavior that there isn't any. It's not you who was told to f**k off on LFG. My main concern here is that some individuals around here have a problem remembering RULES #1 and #2, which in turn causes outbursts of drama here and there and the snowball gets bigger.

For example a few days ago there was a huge wall-o-dramatext in STV (yes, I was there... if you can't beat them, join them) about some new player being OP or something. And instead of politely explaining that to that person it went into a drama discussion of what is possible and what is not and it wasn't a civilized discussion to find the optimal conclusion, but instead a festival of opinions and GTFO STFU I AM RIGHT. I don't know how it ended, nor I care, because as soon as General exploded I left. These sort of outburts of negativity and this hostility is what needs to be ended.
Aisha Wrote:For example a few days ago there was a huge wall-o-dramatext in STV (yes, I was there... if you can't beat them, join them) about some new player being OP or something. And instead of politely explaining that to that person it went into a drama discussion of what is possible and what is not. I don't know how it ended, nor I care, because as soon as General exploded I left. These sort of outburts of negativity and this hostility is what needs to be ended.

Hi, Enforcer GM here.

I don't recall getting a log of this, or screenshots, or even a complaint.

Players, you can let us know if things like this happen, you know that right? Sometimes players need to be the eyes and ears of GMs, because we aren't omnipotent.
Clovis Wrote:
Aisha Wrote:For example a few days ago there was a huge wall-o-dramatext in STV (yes, I was there... if you can't beat them, join them) about some new player being OP or something. And instead of politely explaining that to that person it went into a drama discussion of what is possible and what is not. I don't know how it ended, nor I care, because as soon as General exploded I left. These sort of outburts of negativity and this hostility is what needs to be ended.

Hi, Enforcer GM here.

I don't recall getting a log of this, or screenshots, or even a complaint.

Players, you can let us know if things like this happen, you know that right? Sometimes players need to be the eyes and ears of GMs, because we aren't omnipotent.
Well, I personally never pointed fingers. For me... if they like having a discussion about who is more right and who needs to shut up creating a huge wall-o-text, then by all means I just leave as soon as I see it coming and stay out of range. I guess I should start pointing fingers, because as 2 or even 3 people now said that they DO NOT see drama or negativity.
Pages: 1 2 3