Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: PC is running terri-slow!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ahoy technicians und technofobes!

I need a little bit of help with my pc, because ever since I left 4 weeks ago.. Everything has been TERRIBLE slow on it. And by terrible, I mean TERRIBLE. Roughly 2~3 minutes to start it up, another 2~3 minutes before everything is loaded, and another 3 minutes before WoW is past it's character screen, of when the loading of everything in WoW starts. Which takes, you guessed it.. A long time!

What can be causing this sudden slowness? Comparing to my laptop I got 4 weeks ago, that thing is twice as good as my main comp. ;3 (Fun note, I can recall my pc working absolutely perfect four weeks ago. Used it daily then.) Even windows screens cause my monitors to fade to black for ~10-15 seconds, before giving the security pop-up asking if I want to run the program. Used to be instant.

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2700 @ 2.53 GHz 2.53 GHz
Motherboard : MS - 7366
RAM : 4 Gigs DDR3 (Yeah, am aware the 32 bit doesn't fully use my RAM. But the 64-bit isn't compatible with the motherboard )
Hdd : 500 gig. (C has 29.4 GB free. D has 63.3 GB free. OS installed on C. )
Graphic card: Nivida Geforce 9800 GT (Using dual monitor)

So! Help me out? Not sure what else you guys need for information. I tried running virus-scans with NOD 32, Ad-Aware scans with (Hey!) Ad-Aware Free, and registry scans with Eusing Free registry cleaner + Spybot Search & Destroy. All ended up with nothing, apart from the occasional cookie.
Run some defragmentation on the system drive.
Also, check how much space you got in the system drive.
Also, clean some temporary files, to make sure they don't use any space.
Basically - make a quick maintenance of your system drive.
You might also want to check the running processes through the task manager and check for any suspicious ones. If you are not experienced with dealing with processes, though, and you're not sure if certain process is important or not, better don't mess around there.
I've always been a bit paranoid regarding processes, why I do not know, so checked those regularly. Nothing out of the ordinary there, it tends to stay above 80 with 'non-active-systems' aka free CPU. I've taken the advice and started a de-fragmentation some hours back, will post the news on that soon. Any-how, after that, file cleaning I suppose!

And I got a urge to vacuum my pc! Maybe taking some dust off helps. Or I'll wreck it.. We'll see!
Psychyn Wrote:I've always been a bit paranoid regarding processes, why I do not know, so checked those regularly. Nothing out of the ordinary there, it tends to stay above 80 with 'non-active-systems' aka free CPU. I've taken the advice and started a de-fragmentation some hours back, will post the news on that soon. Any-how, after that, file cleaning I suppose!

And I got a urge to vacuum my pc! Maybe taking some dust off helps. Or I'll wreck it.. We'll see!
The dust is also an option. Many computers start working slower if their cooling system isn't running properly. So, if the software maintenance don't work, definitely try with the dust cleaning. :)
Oh, and for future software maintenance you might try TuneUp Utilities. It's a freeware software designed for easy care for the system with a few clicks. :)
Right! Will be dusting it off soon then. Thanks for the help, and naturally, have to say that I wuvv your avatar!

Admittedly, the defrag already made it faster (Surprisingly), have yet to clean local files and all that. Dusting it off, local files, and then see if it's back up to speed!

Psy over and out. /engage warp-drive
No prob. And remember, maintenance of the operating system is very important! Defrag it once in 1-3 months, clean the temp files you don't need and always make sure you have enough free space on C:\ and you should be fine! :)
So! After sucking up all the dust, it runs alrighty again. (That's what she said..)

Any-how! (Self humor, haha. /slap) The starting up had me all cheery because it was quite fast, haven't encountered any errors or what not yet, but it makes sense that it runs somewhat slower of 3 of the 4 fans you got are covered entirely with dust. Thanks for the help, and unless anything else comes up, consider this thread solved / done.

Yay!
I accidently put my laptop on power saving mode, which made it run terribly slow... after a day of raging, my brother asked me "Is it on powersaving mode?" /facepalm
Psychyn Wrote:So! After sucking up all the dust, it runs alrighty again. (That's what she said..)

Any-how! (Self humor, haha. /slap) The starting up had me all cheery because it was quite fast, haven't encountered any errors or what not yet, but it makes sense that it runs somewhat slower of 3 of the 4 fans you got are covered entirely with dust. Thanks for the help, and unless anything else comes up, consider this thread solved / done.

Yay!
Glad I could help. :)

Jurkey Wrote:I accidently put my laptop on power saving mode, which made it run terribly slow... after a day of raging, my brother asked me "Is it on powersaving mode?" /facepalm
Been there, done that... considering that it's my 4th year of learning computer science... it was a shame, really. LOL
Just protip for the future, one should never -ever- vacuum a computer. Use compressed air. Vacuums screw with electrical equipment. Some people say it's bull, but I know it's true, seeing how my PC sometimes turns off automatically when I vacuum right next to it. Also, fun fact, when I vacuum next to my mother's exercise bike, the small computer placed on the handlebar goes on.
o.0 Thanks for the tip, didn't knew that.

/feeldurr
Roxas65 Wrote:Just protip for the future, one should never -ever- vacuum a computer. Use compressed air. Vacuums screw with electrical equipment. Some people say it's bull, but I know it's true, seeing how my PC sometimes turns off automatically when I vacuum right next to it. Also, fun fact, when I vacuum next to my mother's exercise bike, the small computer placed on the handlebar goes on.
Actually, that depends on the vacuum cleaner. Some of them got pretty strong electrical motors, which got strong electro-magnetic field. That's what mess with the computers. It's not the vacuuming itself. Or at least, it shouldn't be.