Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Mechanical Body Parts for DKs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I've seen at least 3 people in RP who have had engineered body parts, but for one of my characters I was hoping I could get some ideas about how to get mechanical body parts for a DK. DKs (or at least this one) are dead, so nerve functions and such wouldn't be picked up by the electronics (which is how I'd imagin it'd work). I was thinking either arcane tech, or robotics powered by blood, and blood magic. Any of these ideas sound good? Any other suggestions maybe?
Arcane-powered tech = Techno Mage = prestige class. That isn't a visble solution, IMO. Just get a Necromancer to reattach it.
Basically you're role-playing a cyborg. Cyborgs in some cases are corpses brought back to life thanks to the machinery side of them. I don't think the nerve functions would matter much, especially since the engineering part would be pumping electricity or your choice of magical power through the corpses body. In the case of the Death Knight it could be his power that gives life to the engineering side, just food for thought. If you're wanting to get really in-depth look up characters like Deathlok, RoboCop, or even Darth Vader. Although Vader's not dead, Lucas's Star Wars site breaks down how Vader's cybernetic hand works. I believe one of the old Marvel Comic Encyclopedia's explained Deathlok in depth. There are cyborgs in wow lore but the only ones I really recall are the demonic ones throughout Outlands.
In terms of CotH's definitions, to use Arcane, or whatever source of magic you draw from, to power a mechanical object makes one a Techno Mage/Priest/Warlock/what-have-you. Which is not allowed, as currently no prestiges are allowed. As I said before, just sewing it back on won't work. Even electricity wouldn't, as you'd still need some sort of neural connection, which cannot exist, if the nerves are dead. Just save the arm, and have a Necromancer reattach it. Lore shows that it's possible, and it would solve your problem easier, plus be stronger and sturdier.
The mechanical body parts I make ICly are usually worked by triggers only. Some of the triggers would be like fluid chambers to tell if the part is level (for like bending legs and knees). Others are clenching of certain muscles. These solutions I had at time work but just barely and were more likely to cause infections and pain to the individuals who had the prosthetic limbs. And beyond that the functions were very simple, like the hand could only open and close, or a leg could only bend, making it nowhere near as good as the actual limb.
On an RP note, I have an Orc with a mechanical prosthetic leg a couple inches below the knee. She has a slight limp as she walks, and often bleeds and has pain from where the limb is attached. Don't need anything exactly like that, but just a reference depending on how hi-tech or low-tech your planned limb may be.
As another note, you are generally weaker for having the prosthetic.
How high tech? Hmm.... I was thinking around clockwork-ish sort of tech. It doesn't have to be completely functional, but something a little more conventional then just a prosthetic leg or arm. Something at least good enough to swing a sword (hopefully).

I had this idea in my head of tubes of blood running through the replacement arm and legs, so the DK can control them with blood magic. Does that sound doable?
Oh and one other thing.

muhaha8 Wrote:Arcane-powered tech = Techno Mage = prestige class. That isn't a visble solution, IMO. Just get a Necromancer to reattach it.

I realize Necromancy would be easier Muhaha, but that's not what I asked. The character is a work in progress, and this is going to be apart of their history if I can get it to work. But thanks for the heads up on the arcane tech, after thinking about it, anti magic shields wouldn't be usable anyways so that idea is scraped.
Blood Magic from a DK isn't that advanced. It's literally, boil blood, explode it or heal from it.
Sadly, you can't do awesomely fancy stuff like that. It's all combat practical.
Still. Temperature control could be a viable controller, could it not?

Edit: Or explosions. Explosions (even small ones) equal pressure. Pressure equals power and control.
Explosions are destructive, vice versa for others. Although, a solution I see is that it's basically a dummy arm that has a sword at the end.
muhaha8 Wrote:Arcane-powered tech = Techno Mage = prestige class. That isn't a visble solution, IMO. Just get a Necromancer to reattach it.
Anski Wrote:

... I already commented on that and said I scraped that idea....

rodentjoe Wrote:Oh and one other thing.

I realize Necromancy would be easier Muhaha, but that's not what I asked. The character is a work in progress, and this is going to be apart of their history if I can get it to work. But thanks for the heads up on the arcane tech, after thinking about it, anti magic shields wouldn't be usable anyways so that idea is scraped.

Requoteing wasn't really needed... but still, I thank you for the heads up again.

Edit: And just so you can understand why I'm going for a less effective fix, it's because the fix was forced as an experiment. It wasn't my characters choice.
The point isn't whether or not it was forced. The point is is that what you're trying to do simply won't work.

Edit: It isn't because it's easier that I suggested Necromancy. Sure, it -is- easier, but it's also the only way to achieve the goal you want.
Pages: 1 2