Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Irogh's Journey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the leaders of the Stonetalon region discuss surrender terms Irogh's mind drifts through the last few days of battle. He remembers a Blood Elf trying to learn how Demolishers work. That time a treant knocked him out and he woke up to a troll shaman tending his wounds. Indeed Lak'tusk was much more victorious in battle than him. Irogh's face twitched as he remembered each and every arrow that plucked him throughout the campaign.

Today tested his limits too. He volunteered to drive a Demolisher, but it was no protection from a stray arrow. The demolisher was smashed by a Cliff Giant before it could take anything of note out. Irogh dove out of the tank just in time. As he stood a nearby bomb exploded and shrapnel ripped through his measly chain armor and embedded in his face. Still in a daze, that elven captain knocked him out.

Healing energy revitalized Irogh and him and Lak'tusk began tearing up the field again. His momentum was short lived as a Cliff Giant unrolled a large white flag and began waving it. Irogh snaps to as the meeting is adjourned. A burly armor clad Orc approaches him.

Korhan Siegebreaker tugs off his helm, nodding to Irogh. "You needed to speak to me?"
Irogh: "Yes Warlord. I wanted to ask if there is a permanent place in the Honorguard for me?
Korhan rubs his chin, feeling over his beard. "...Hm. Well, I suppose there is."
Korhan: "I'm still becoming accustomed to this position, myself. I'm not sure what our next course of action may be."
Irogh grins, "I understand."
Korhan juts a hand forward. "However, if you're willing to aid, you have a place among us, brother."
Irogh grips the hand and gives it a solid shake, "You have my axes brother."
Irogh: "Irogh at your service, and Lak'tusk."
Korhan: "Now then. Feel free to return to Sun Rock and rest yourself. I will need to see to our fallen men all honored and set to rest."
Irogh: "Dabu Warlord. Thank you."
Korhan nods.
Irogh bows respectfully.

Irogh makes it to camp and an Orc Shaman begins to work on his wounds. He looks down at his faithful pet and thinks to himself, Looks like we're movin' up in the world Lak'tusk...
A couple weeks later Irogh finds himself in Stranglethorn Vale. Feeling a bit rusty he enters a small tournament. He decided to stable Lak'tusk after a nasty snake bite in Booty Bay, so it would be all up to him. As he waited for his turn he tried to think back to a time when Lak'tusk was not at his side during a battle. His contemplation was interrupted by a female Orc shouting at him for him to get in the Gurubashi arena and prove his mettle.

Irogh's first bout was with a large and muscular Orc with a big axe. Irogh decided to practice his footwork and melee skills on his first opponent. Irogh exploited the slow, wide swings with small counter-attacks. After a swift headbutt the round was over in favor of Irogh. He helped the Orc warrior help and out of the arena.

The next fight was against a Forsaken shadow-flinger. He had studied this one's attacks from the previous round and opted to test his marksmanship. He got the first arrow off before he was struck in the chest with a shadow bolt. A couple arrows later the foolish Forsaken decided a claw-attack would be best. Irogh also ended this fight with a headbutt. He looked in disbelief as the deader happily trotted out of the arena.

The last fight it would seem that it would be a three-way fight between the Orcish announcer, a Sin'dorei Mage and Irogh. Magic isn't Irogh's favorite opponent so he decided to take out that elf. The orcish announcer looked like a worth opponent and would save her for last. The other orc took the first attack, surprisingly at the magic user as well. Irogh used this opportunity to fire multiple arrows at the elf. Unfortunately the elf was good, and wielded her ice magic with great ease and power. She deflected an arrow at the announcer but was also hit with another. The announcer flung a dagger at Irogh finding a weak spot in his armor. As he went to yank it out the elf exploded with arcane energy, felling the announcer orc and smacking Irogh.

After the dual assault by two Orcs the Elf stood victoriously over one. It was just Irogh and her, about thirty yards apart. He fired a jagged arrow into the sky but she froze it with her magic and sent it back! Irogh remembered her attack pattern and was already running for her as the ice-arrow flew over him. He quickly got another arrow ready and took a solid stance, preparing to fire an arrow at near point-blank range. As he went to draw an arrow from his quiver the ice arrow had spun around and impaled into his backside. Irogh immediately feinted from the pain of a ruptured liver. The fight was over.

After several attempts from a novice Draenei Shaman to revive him, Irogh came to and looked up.

Draenei: "Are you alright?"
Irogh: "Get the hell away from me."

Irogh isn't much for cross-factions, regardless if one just saved his life. He limped out of the arena listening to how a pansy Elf mage beat down two Orcish fighters. Irogh found a near by wall and collapsed from exhaustion. A couple hours later he woke and made it to a proper bed. He closed his eyes and began to think of happy thoughts. First it was a vision of a beach hanging out with a bikini-clad Orc female. But then he began to think of something more realistic, like him and Lak'tusk chillin' under a tree. Irogh would spend the next week recuperating from the back wound.
Time seemed slow laying around in a bed for about a week. It began to remind Irogh of the lethargic conditions of his youth in the camps. He sat up and stretched. He felt well enough, no more shooting pains but was pretty stiff from the rest. No sign of the doc so it was a good time to get going. He pushed himself out of bed and took a step. He looked down at his chest, stomach, legs and feet. Damn I'm out of shape. Indeed the Orc had put on a few pounds from the lack of real battle in the last few weeks. He sluggishly made it to where his banded armor was laying. He picked up the cuirass which seemed remarkably heavier than he remembered. The few weeks he has owned it he had barely taken it off. This... is why I am stiff. I have grown accustomed to this iron hide. He shook it out a couple times then inspected it. Besides a few scuffs it was still fresh out of the forge. All this time without battle... I have become weak. He dropped it back onto the other pieces of armor and looked out into the misty jungle of Stranglethorn Vale.

His mind began to drift back to the days of Mulgore in his youth. He thought of the nights spent in the wilderness of Durotar in the trees with nothing but the stars to keep him company. A smile spread across his face as he relived the fateful encounter with a wild boar. His thoughts drifted from memory to memory before the Doc came around.

"'Ey mon 'bout time joo b'eadin' outta'ere."
"Yeah I've wasted enought time here."
"Goo'ting ja be scarin' away te wimons."

Irogh grunted but kept his mouth shut. He was right. No Orc woman has given him a second glance. There's been a few comment on his arena fights, but nothing substantial. He folded his armor into a neat pile and managed to fit it in a backpack. He huffed a little before latching the pack shut. I really need some exercise.

"Chu be takin' et easy now. Dun wan'ta see joo here no time soon."
"Yeah yeah, I'm going already."
"'Ey mon pay ja respects t'te Doc."

Irogh realized that he's been broke for quite some time so he took a quick look around. He eyeballed his equipment for a moment before tossing the troll one of his axes.

"No n'. I dun wan'cha axe. I got lotsa axes from de arena."
"Hmm. What about a bow?"

Irogh picked up his Orcish bow and quiver and solemnly handed it to the Troll.

"Dis... be great sacrifice fo' joo mon... Ah take et."

Irogh nodded and slung the heavy pack on his back. He adjusted it quickly and hid the pain he felt from the troll. Walking out into the jungle with just a pair of pants felt really good to him. No more stuffy troll hut. He began the trek down the road. It didn't take him long to become drenched in sweat and out of breath. Ahh feel the burn, come on Irogh one step at a time. Just a few more hours and you can res- No! This is good for me! I must push myself to be strong! He grits his teeth as he begins to move faster. The pack begins to jostle and his face tightens up as the stabbing back pain returns. He presses on to Booty Bay.
Irogh pushes open the door into a goblin armory.

"Have I got what you need!"
"No no I jus-"
"Come! Look at our new line of axes. Imported from your ancestral home of Draenor!"
"No I want t-"
"We have the lowest prices anywhere!"

Irogh drops his pack on the counter with a resounding thud that catches a brawler's attention. "I'm here to sell, goblin."
"Eh look bub I usually don't take scrap."
"This military-issue mint-condition armor."
"Is it hot?"
"Wha- no. This is my personal set."
"What's wrong with it?"
Irogh exaggerates "Alas it is too heavy. The Orgrimmar smiths used too much high-strength iron bands and quality chainlink for me to wear."
The goblin rubs his chin as he tugs on a corner of the curiass, "Seen any battle?"
"No I got it after the battle with my commission, mainly a decorative set."
"Hmmm... Alright. I'll take the set off your hands for four gold."
"I'll take no less than six."
"Five and a half."
Irogh raps a finger on the armor as he stares down the goblin. The bruiser raises his head and looks at the goblin searchingly.
"Throw in those axes and I'll give ya ten. Take it or leave it."
Irogh smirks, "Deal."

Irogh pushes the armor to the end of the counter and places his Orcish axes on the table. The goblin counts out ten gold coins and slides them across the counter. Irogh scoops them in a small pouch and ties it to his belt. He nods at the bruiser as he walks out the door into the bustling port of Booty Bay. He makes it to the stable and pays off his account to the troll keeper. A few stalls down Lak'tusk is on his side sprawled out sleeping. As the keeper opens the gate he springs up and charges for Irogh.

He kneels down and rustles the boar's hair. "Good to see you too friend."
"Goo'ting chu pick up da'boar mon. Been scarin' off mi nu'ires."
Irogh laughs, "I bet. How did the healing go?"
"Dat boar be toug'er den joo tink mon. 'Ealed up real nice 'oo."
"Yes he is an exceptional companion. I am glad to have him at my side once again. Do you know when the next boat to Ratchet is out?"
"Shu'mon et b'leavin wit'in de'our."
Irogh thanks the troll and beckons Lak'tusk to come. He trots up to the Orc and together they head for the dock. "Come Lak'tusk. Let us begin the journey back to Orgrimmar. We haven't been there in ages."
A couple weeks later Irogh and Lak'tusk find themselves wandering the battle-ravaged Stonetalon Mountains. There was a small lake with an island tucked between the mountain range. It provided shelter from the late-evening sun and plenty of fish. A fine place for a camp. As they neared the edge of the water, a small creature broke the pristine surface. Irogh's gaze drifted from the creature to another Orc on the island in the center of the lake. Irogh waded in a few yards before diving and making his way across to the Orc. Lak'tusk eagerly jumped in and followed. A short conversation later revealed it was an elven druid pestering the Orcish warrior. The recent conflict bore heavily on both Orcs as they considered the elven pest. Lak'tusk stood by the water eyeballing the seal for most of the evening. Irogh began to gather sticks for a small campfire as he exchanged small talk with the Orc. His name was Granger and he happened to be in the area that day. He was a tall massive Orc clad in brutish armor. He carried a large orcish waraxe that looked war-weary. His helmet was a fearsome sight that covered all but his eyes and had two horns jutting forward. Irogh was meager in comparison; He was quite short as usual and probably weighted less than half of his new friend with all equipment considered. Granger offered a spar to liven things up a bit. Hmm, not long ago I looked like him, clad in armor. His axe looks vicious too... Maybe I can get close enough to get him off his feet... Irogh agreed and commanded Lak'tusk to stay by the small campfire. The peaceful boar didn't think twice about that and continued it's nap. They squared off and Irogh readied himself. The large and intimidating Orc stood like a brick wall just a few yards away. He wasn't even going to draw his axe...

Irogh's mind flashed back to another duel a month or so ago. It was a Sin'dorei artist. After he'd insulted the elf's useless skill he was challenged to a duel. They made their way out of the town and squared off similarly. The elf had no weapon, so Irogh stripped off most of his armor, bow, quiver, and dual axes. Irogh charged at the elf, but was unable to catch the wiry artist. The elf produced a small crossbow and proceeded to pluck away at Irogh with blunt arrows. Irogh raged at the evading elf, cursing that gluttonous binge-breakfast he had just a couple hours ago. Frustrated and defeated Irogh and trudged off. Damn elf! Knows nothing about a duel and honor... Lak'tusk trotted behind him as they traveled towards Stranglethon Vale.

Granger snaps Irogh's flashback, "Your move." Irogh charges the juggernaut and slams into his chest, sending him a couple steps back. That went better than I thought it would. Granger clasps his hands together and pummels Irogh down on a knee. Irogh reaches up and shoves on the Orc like a linebacker. He manages to push him back, giving him enough room to kick at Irogh with a boot. Already in a defensive stance Irogh absorbs the punishment but grapples the foot. He shoves it back at Granger who quickly looses his balance. The pair separated for a moment and began again. The Orcish steamroller barrels towards Irogh. In a last ditch defense Irogh dives for his legs, but only finds a mouth full of dust as the Orc jumps to the side. He's next to the water, now's my chance! Irogh leaps onto the Orc trying to further unbalance him. Staggering around Granger makes a fist sandwich with Irogh's knees. He manages to dislodge the Orc, sending him into the dirt behind him. He takes a moment to figure out what just happened and finds Irogh back at it again. This time he pulls back on his leg while leaning heavily forward against Granger's back. Irogh managed to drive him to the ground whilst hanging onto that leg. Irogh was confident he would be able to put the squeeze on the Orc from this position. Unfortunately Irogh didn't consider that other leg. Granger reared his free leg back and delivered a swift blow to Irogh's head. He rolled and flopped into the nearby water. Irogh pushed himself up and walked up the small incline back to the victor. Irogh offered a handshake to the honorable opponent. It had been a long time since Irogh had such an honest spar. Gnawing on jerky, he bid the Orc farewell as he continued his journey. Until we meet again, friend. Though he lost, Irogh felt like a winner that night. It seemed he actually did have some skill without his axes. Irogh leaned on a nearby log and drifted to sleep as the campfire cracked embers into the violet sky.
It was a lazy Durotar day as the sun reached it's apex.

"Krona hungry?"
"Sure?"
"Welcome to join us on a little hunt for raptor if you'd like."
Krona seems disinterested, "Eh, feelin' lazy now. 'Specially after that fight."
Irogh grunts, "Suit yourself. Maybe Granitefist has some more jerky."

The orc and boar head off into the distance in search for a suitable hunt. After a couple hours and a few less arrows, Irogh admits defeat. "Damn... Lak'tusk. I must be the worst shot in Orgrimmar." They scuffle to the edge of the Southfury River. Irogh is busy preparing his fishing rod as Lak'tusk goes for a drink from the still waters.

Irogh nursed his thumb from jabbing it on the hook accidentally. Suddenly an explosion of water startled him as he turned around. A stealthy crocolisk had snapped at Lak'tusk, almost claiming the boar's life. He narrowly escaped the attack but the crocolisk wasn't done yet. The croc was already out of the water chasing the bleeding, back-pedaling boar when he was overtaken by Irogh. The orc flung himself at the scaled body and managed to clamp it's mouth shut. They squirmed for what seemed like hours. Finally Irogh was able to scoop his leg under the crocolisk's neck. With a sudden twist it's neck was broken against the side of the orc's leg. Exhausted Irogh fell to the side of the dead beast. He looked around, but no sign of Lak'tusk.

A couple hours later Irogh had a fine crocolisk meal rotating over a small campfire. The smoke rose high into the sky as the sun sank lower and lower. The meat was about halfway done when a dark-skinned boar came into focus. "Ah there you are Lak'tusk. I was getting worried about you. I knew you couldn't resis-" The orc's words were cut off as Lak'tusk came closer. His left ear had been ripped off down to the scalp. It had been bleeding for a couple hours and all sorts of bugs were gnashing at it. Irogh quickly did what he could to help. He took some bandages and wrapped it around his head and over the wound. "We can't journey back to Orgrimmar on empty stomachs... this'll have to do my friend."
The boar slowly lagged behind Irogh as the pair left the Hunter's ring in Orgrimmar. "Come on Lak'tusk you have to cheer up eventually! I don't like seeing you all mopey... Let's get a drink at your favorite croc-free watering hole."

The orc waited by the pool for his companion to catch up. The boar wandered up but only rested near the water. Irogh looks down in disappointment. A voice calls his attention away from the boar, "Throm'ka Irogh, how are you?"

After a short explanation it was clear to Thragash. "And he's been like this since? ...I don't specialize in healing, but perhaps we can see if it helps." Irogh is surprised, "W-wow! You'd do that for us?"

Thragash grins, "Of course..." He moves to the side of the boar and pulls a wooden block from a pouch. "Might want to restrain him. It could be painful and he won't know what's happening." Irogh slides his legs between the boar's front legs and locks his arms around his neck and part of his shoulder. The Runemaster presses the block against the boar's side as Irogh slides off the 'earpiece'.

Thragash baits Lak'tusk with a piece of jerky before he begins channeling arcane energy into the mark of healing on his side. The boar shifts a little but is otherwise clam during the process. The skin near the base of her ear-hole begins to reform. A bloody stump sprouts from where the ear should be. The growth splits open and forms sort of a misshapen ear about have the original size. The new ear looked raw, skinned and tender to the touch. "I think... yes that's it." The Runemaster sighs as he looks at his handiwork.

"You're amazing!" exclaimed Irogh as he begun to let the boar go. Almost immediately he grapsed the boar again, preventing him from scratching the new nub. "Bah quick, someone grab some bandages! Seems his new ear is a'bit itchy..." One of the Orcs that had gathered around the scene trotted off to get some. He returned quickly and Irogh began to wrap it around the boar's head near the base of the ear. He would use this layer to protect the raw ear from the boar's coarse hair and other debris from his coat. "Okay Thragash, I need you to wrap this fleshy-ear down on the bandages so it doesn't get infected." The Runemaster begins to quickly wrap the sensitive ear down. After a short struggle and grunts, the two Orc manage to get the boar taken care of.

Irogh stumbles back gripping his side. He coughs up some blood and peers at his side. During the struggle Lak'tusk had jerked a tusk between Irogh's ribs and punctured a lung. The small Orc began to turn blue in the face as his body started to lack vial oxygen. Irogh was speechless as he gazed helplessly to the growing crowd. His body began to feel heavy, and drove him to a knee. He gazed at the boar one last time...

As the world faded and Irogh began to blackout, a mist of green ethereal healing was sucked into the puncture would like a a breath of fresh air. Irogh was able to take the deepest breath he had in years. After a couple more he looked up at a shamaness, "T-thank you!" He rubs his side curiously while mumbling, "I love Orgrimmar..."

The boar looked up at his wounded master with fear in his eyes. The hunter practically falls on top of Lak'tusk with a hug, "I know you didn't mean it bud..."
"Chu tap dat?"
"Cha ey'd tap'dat."
"But dat's-"
"Look!!"

The pair of trolls peer at the ridge along the road out of Zoram'gar Outpost. A lone silhouette stood against the evening sky. The guards yanked their spears up and took off. As the got closer they noticed it was a worg... a well armed worg. As the troll defenders came upon the rider, he slumped off to the side unresponsive. One troll inspects the Orcish scout while the other notes the worg's saddle blanket. "Ey dis be one'o dem Ashrunes!"
~
Irogh squinted his eyes in pain as the troll shaman removed another scrap of chainlink from his skin. She had already stitched up his shoulder and arm gashes. "Spirits be witCHA mon... ye body absorbed all sort'a metal thru'dat acid burn. An'dis armCHA put et thru'a crocolisk maw hmm? Likely ben ded if'dat worg o' joos didn't bringCHA back..." The troll's words fell on deft ears as Irogh dwelt on his recent failure.

"Irogh! As the highest ranking member... lead... see your leadership skills..."

"Alright spread out and search the area..."
"Irogh!~"

"Look out it's the ambush!"
"Arghnngh!"

"Py is our best scout..."

"Mahanu... I'm not feeling so well..."

I let them down! They needed a leader and I blew it... I wonder what if Lak'tusk would of came... What will I say when they come back? What will Thragash say... You are a failure Irogh, get out of my sight before I break you! No no... NO! The Ashrune is bigger than me! I can't let one failure deter me... I will be stronger... I must get away for a couple days... get it together. I will get Lak'tusk from the Crossroads and find Thragash. I must... mend my courage... pride... honor... Lok'tar Ogar!