Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Weapon/Armor Proficiency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's the thing, it makes absolute sense that a Mage would have no skill in using, say, a two-handed sword. But doesn't it seem a little odd that they are inexplicably physically incapable of even hold one? Or how about the fact that, for some reason, a Priest can't quite bring him or herself to pull on a chainmail shirt? They're a bit heavy, but come -on-!

The only real reason the weapon and armor restraints are in place is in the interest of game balance. However, we're an RP server, so that shouldn't be a major concern. I'm suggesting that we arrange for all weapons and armor to be available to all classes. Now, I'm not going off the deep end here. I say a Mage should be able to pick up a Claymore, not that he or she'd be any good at using it. Naturally, if your profession leans more towards using your brain and firing multi-colored darts while wiggling your fingers enticingly, you're not going to be particularly well practiced when hefting your brand-spankin' new Orc Cleaver. There needs to be player moderation involved, but that's always been a requirement (i.e. no god-modding by having the uber-wizard that is also a master swordsman).

I realize there may be technical concerns with this, either being that it wouldn't be possible or simply be highly difficult to unlock all weapons and armor for all classes. Also, there might be balance issues for when players do want a little PvE (if that actually goes down...). So! I pose another suggestion. We already have the totally awesome ability to .addrpitem. Could those, or another copy of those items, be made to keep the design/look, but lose the armor type? Or alternatively, make all their armor types Cloth. For the weapons, you could make them something universal, that every class could use... Which may be harder, because besides straight Unarmed (note; not fist weapons), I can't think of any weapon type that everything can pick up, and ranged weapons... Yeesh...

I hope you like the idea. ^^

Oh, P.S. An idea that just came to mind to moderate magical classes using heavier armors. You could do like the did in D&D, where your spell-hit chance goes down when you wear anything beyond Cloth. I assume it was basically because, when wearing full-plate, a Mage probably loses a bunch of dexterity (no more wiggly fingers), they can't concentrate when freezing or roasting inside their mobile steel coffin, or they simply struggle to move with all that extra weight on them. And, if you're feeling more mischievous, instead of saying their hit chance is reduced, you could add more chance for their spell to backfire. Fire ball gets caught on the steel gauntlet wrapped around the mage's hand, and voile! Char-broiled Magician. *Evil giggle*
Not the first time this has come up, nor the last. The answer never changes. It's always a "No," Ronin. Sorry.
I support this. Parts of it makes sense, but some other parts are just. .. So. .. Silly. Like my late Shaman, Abigail. When I first created her, she was a warrior and she used a sword and was quite good with it. Then she started with shamanism, became a shaman and lo and behold, she suddenly forgot how to use a sword. . At all! Using a mace was no problem, but for some unexplainable reason, every sword she tried to grab just jumped away from her! How strange.

I especially remember the escape part during Kidnapped 2, where Abigail didn't have any weapons because she mostly used magic. But we couldn't use magic, so another character, Karast, gave Abigail her weaponry since she herself was too wounded to use them. Buuuuuuut unfortunately, Shamans can't use swords. Well crap.
I don't support this, save for one single thing.

I'd like Priests and Shamans to use 1h Swords. Because, let's face it, both Magi and Warlocks can wield them.

Other than that, it'd be Multiclassing.

The reason for which no Arcane caster can use heavier armor than robes is that it interferes with the intricate arcane gestures that the caster must do in order to cast spells. Thus, as soon as a Mage or Warlock puts on any metal, they suddenly find themselves unable to fling fireballs or summon demons or such.
It's silly, but that's the reason in Lore, so that's what I follow.

If you want a Priest in Plate, just go Paladin.
I support this idea. As much as I dread the idea of someone slapping their mage in fullplate and RPing as a caster/knight, I find it hard to believe that magical ability repells leather boots. That once I train as a paladin, I'm forbidden to lift a dagger. I learn to sneak? Yeah, I can't pick up a halberd.
There have been good points on both sides of this issue. I do understand what you're saying, flammos, and since multi-classing isn't allowed (wait... It really isn't, is it?), that would put the kibosh on this.

On the other hand, looking at it from a purely RP perspective (which is what I was doing originally), it just doesn't make any logical sense for a person to be -incapable- of wielding certain weapons because of their 'class'. Same with the armor, though I did add in at the end that, instead of simply being unable to cast spells, it would make sense that the spells would be much harder to cast, because unless you've got your hand in a steel mitten, I don't see why the armor would really flat out stop you. Again, it feels more like a game-balance issue.

All that said, if what muhaha said is true... Well, it's really a moot point, in'it? :P
Well, let's say we give a Priest the ability to wear Leather.

Then that Priest will ask for Mail because, let's face it, a lot of leather items look like they could be mail.

Then that Priest will ask for Plate because, again, a lot of mail pieces look like plate.

Then that Priest will ask for the ability to use more weapons because what's the point of having a giant set of chainmail without something more versatile to defend yourself with?

As long as we live, spontaneously seeking to fill desires is like a never ending urge due to our selfish nature.
Because of our flawed human nature that always thirst for something new to get motivated, In example like knowledge. There is always something to learn, improve or develop in response of what we need or even want to satisfy several aspects of our individuality that includes our biological self.

Influences from our personalities, atmospheres or surroundings can make us always feel the void or even the challenges that comes up with the time to face nor compete or even just simply to enjoy. The trends and the changes that may take place in any matter or situations that may provoke you to desire even more. For we ourselves as a person also prone to changes. That never inhibits our natural cravings for something fulfilling of what we may want.

Sometimes we are just simply becoming bored, if not wanting more perfection. We advance but the fact that advancing process may demonstrate something imperfect from us. We never stop learning too. The chaos becomes greater the more we may forwardly move.

Hence, seeking perfection could lift some others, half or even more in their success and it may cause deterioration with the rests. So as desires will never stop. Then so as all what we may want to seek for even more by knowing or learning. It is a part of our flaws as human beings and we also grow from it too. It is a part of some factors in life to challenge us of how far we may go into our lives, here dealing with our own existence.

Time is fluid and so as the shiftings of events does rapidly come and go. Just like our cravings. We may still need much more when they actually go. That sometimes they even grow further.

Past philosophies, you don't need your set to look perfect all the time. That, and people rarely put what armor type their opponent is wearing into play.
Roxas65 Wrote:I support this. Parts of it makes sense, but some other parts are just. .. So. .. Silly. Like my late Shaman, Abigail. When I first created her, she was a warrior and she used a sword and was quite good with it. Then she started with shamanism, became a shaman and lo and behold, she suddenly forgot how to use a sword. . At all! Using a mace was no problem, but for some unexplainable reason, every sword she tried to grab just jumped away from her! How strange.

I especially remember the escape part during Kidnapped 2, where Abigail didn't have any weapons because she mostly used magic. But we couldn't use magic, so another character, Karast, gave Abigail her weaponry since she herself was too wounded to use them. Buuuuuuut unfortunately, Shamans can't use swords. Well crap.
Basically, all that I have to say on the matter is explained in this post. Yet, I am really thinking that it will be abused. If it is ever done, it should be accompanied by some heavy rules to prevent abuse. I am feeling tempted to find a way for my Mage to use a Two-Hander ever since these abilities were stripped from our characters on the old core. :roll:
Weapon and shield prof doesn't bother me much at all. I would like for all restrictions to be removed, but as we have stated, SOMEONE WILL ABUSE IT. So, rather than having armor, can we just unlock all of the weapon/shield restrictions?

Bandits in war3 use shields. And shields are not hard to use, they are very simple devices.
Paladins should logically be able to use all weapons due to the nescessary combat training. Remember most of their combat training comes before learning use of the light.
Polearms on mages and warlocks would be great.

By abusing the armor prof, I can foresee a rogue in plate with a great weapon steathing. And a mage in plate with a shield and weapon somehow casting without issue when he lacks battlemage training. Etc. Etc.
I say NAY. For armour that is. Can't trust people like myself not to create epic Priests of Epicness that pwn you all OOCly. Priest in pala armour, how amusing. ANYHOO. Weapons, yes, most certainly. Anybody can pick up any kind of weapon, however unlikely it is that they'd use the thing. Just because the person's a Priest, doesn't mean they can't be skilled with a heavy sword. People can work out in their spare time.
Quote:SOMEONE WILL ABUSE IT

Exactly why it won't happen.

Edit- This argument is seriously a moot point. The Team's position has yet to change, nor do I think it ever will. Every time someone brings this up (which has been almost a dozen times, I think, since I started here), the answer is exactly the same. Don't you guys think the GM Team would -do- this if they wanted it?
Muhaha, don't be a killjoy. We may be lucky and get weapons/shields at least. COTHITES! RAISE THY HANDS TOWARDS THE SUN AND CRY OUT! "WE WANT OUR PROFECIENCES!!!"
Merely stating an opinion, Brutal... If the Team really wanted this to happen, it would've been implemented after the first person asked.
Quote:COTHITES! RAISE THY HANDS TOWARDS THE SUN AND CRY OUT! "WE WANT OUR PROFECIENCES!!!"
As for weapons, everyone knows the second you take up the unholy/fel/light/sneakiness, it instantly makes all staves and daggers repel you, for Paladins and DKs, maces, two-handers and spears for Mages and Warlocks, and swords are unholy creations of man, for Priests. Rogues? SHIELDS PREVENT YOU FROM SNEAKING, HEATHEN. Blasphemy, I say.

Spoiler:
[Image: trollface.jpg]
Pages: 1 2