Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: What the heck is going on with the rp on this server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Maybe my expectations were far too high when joining this server but I DID think that because of the rigor around getting on the server that the amount of rp would be a little more than the usual server. Instead I've been on here since January and to be honest, aside from momentary AWESOME rp, the level of rp absolutely sucks. - I hate to be so blunt. ..and don't tell me to go out there and start my own because I've started numerous and have engaged as many people as I can with continued invites. For those of you that have rp'd with me (Kiallie) please feel free to PM me if you think it's something that 'I'M' doing wrong.. otherwise I'd sure like some tips.

Here's what I've experienced just lately -

More people at GMI complaining of being bored than actually out of GMI doing something.

My character gets berated IC for hanging around Booty Bay by a GM on their character because the guild I belong to wouldn't be caught dead there. Too bad that rarely is anyone online from the guild when I"m on. To be quite honest BB seems to be the only place to get any rp or at least initiate it and move elsewhere.... and I'm well aware of the reputation that BB has for rp but to be quite honest.. I've not experienced any of the sexual stuff that people keep implying (not that I want to either) but then maybe that's my problem... I don't join the server to roleplay sex. .. ya there i said that too out loud. Yes there are the odd few there that do but they're quickly ridiculed that i'd be surprised if they ever continued anyway.

My next experience was with an informal RP that involved another GM but all the characters did (not the GM) was IC bicker back and forth and to be quite honest it got a little much. Yes for my own sanity i steered the rp away from it and got into a mini informal event involving hunting a night elf.

I had an opportunity to join a guild that's starting up but although I'm sure it's fun for everyone else that's in it..it's sounds to me like it's going to be much like SIMS or Catan on WoW. Not that there's anything wrong with that - but - .....

Where the heck is the rp that has anything at all to do with the whole concept behind WoW between the Horde and the Alliance? based on the WoW lore that I was fully expecting to see on this server?

Where have all the good rpers gone? I've heard of a couple of other rp servers starting up and have been asked to join there but quite frankly i'm sick of server hopping. I'm about to give up on indepth RP with continuing storylines all together.

Yes..and i'm sure somebody's likely going to chime in and say.. "We've heard this all before... " So if that's the case.. is rp really a dying art? and there's nothing that can be done to fix the high school drivel that seems to be taking its place? Am I really only gaming with highschoolers on this server???? Tell me now and I'll be happy to leave you to your fun and move on.
Not to rain on your parade(I'm not sure this is the right wording...), but I think it's only you that feels that way.
Even though I've been on CoTH for only a month, I enjoyed every second I was on.
I haven't seen anything wrong with the server so far, not with the community and not with the style of RP.
I have to agree with her, actually.
Adam255 Wrote:Not to rain on your parade, but I think it's only you that feels that way.
Even though I've been on CoTH for only a month, I enjoyed every second I was on.
I haven't seen anything wrong with the server so far, not with the community and not with the style of RP.

Yes.. i've rp'd with you on Robert I think.. if it's the same Robert.. and I will agree.. that scene was a LOT of fun but as you noticed soon as we landed and the focus got away from WoW lore related rp, it fell a part and players drifted away. and agreed.. there's lots of opportunity for 'relationship' RP but seriously is that all there is?

I also agree that people look for different kinds of rp and will probably be content if they find the rp that they're looking for ....

but like I said before my expectation for this server because of the emphasis on WoW lore would be that the rp would be WoW lore related with the baseline rp founded on that. What happened to that? that's the question I'm asking.. Not for a general commentary on rp that consists of 'chatter' that could be found on any chat line which is what I've been experiencing more than not. I simply can't be the only person that feels this way.....
I know not all WoW lore stands around random people in a tavern.
But if you think about it, there are very few heroes left out in the world of Azeroth, most of them are or normal civilians or warriors of an army. Personally I'd like to RP both... A life of heroism and a life of a normal person.

I had a lot of fun RPing with you, but as I said, Robert is more played out as a normal "Mercenary" of a kind. It's a rare sight to see him actually doing something like he did.

I guess it just comes down to finding the right people to RP with.
You either have bad luck in finding good rp or very little patience. I just had some neat little rp about the training of a mage, nothing special or epic, but I still enjoyed it. Yesterday or maybe friday I joined the dungeoneering event which was really fun.
If you want epic large scale rp you'll either have to organize it yourself or just be patient. Some event will come up in time.

You ask where the good rpers are...well all around you, plenty of good rpers on this server. Although many of you are slacking on GMI! (which is fine by me).

People play sexual rp in place that are less crowded than BB (I hope) And rp is not dieing, I even think it's becoming more popular these days.
Arrillion Wrote:Words.

That.

Just look around. You only see what you want to; frankly, you seem to only want to see a lack of roleplay. There is plenty all around you. You just need to look.

viewtopic.php?f=124&t=29194

^ That is a perfect example.
Hello!

So I felt this upon coming back to the server but in fact it wasn't true for me, and maybe for you. The problem for me was my expectation upon return that everything would be the same, or similar [likened to you coming from another server] and my character concepts would stand just as they did. This wasn't true. There really is RP for EVERYONE on this server, but the fact is you have to find it yourself. I can't stand tavern RP these days, and so never join it. This leaves me not RPing for what could be large amounts of time, but that's fine. I'm not JUST here to RP, I'm here for the community, too. If it means I'll only RP once every day, but it's RP that I really enjoy, then that's perfectly fine by me.

Kind of deviated from my point. If you get anything from that, great, if not, I apologise for wasting your time.
TequilaSun Wrote:Where the heck is the rp that has anything at all to do with the whole concept behind WoW between the Horde and the Alliance? based on the WoW lore that I was fully expecting to see on this server?

Yes..and i'm sure somebody's likely going to chime in and say.. "We've heard this all before... " So if that's the case.. is rp really a dying art?

and there's nothing that can be done to fix the high school drivel that seems to be taking its place? Am I really only gaming with highschoolers on this server???? Tell me now and I'll be happy to leave you to your fun and move on.

Thank you to those who have taken the time to respond.. I knew I'd get the response.. "You're not looking in the right place... etc etc.. sheeesh..ok.. where do I look? Trust me I've looked and looked.

Your responses are saying there's rp but that really wasn't what I was questioning. If you reread my post.. and this is where I'll clarify. It's the CONTENT of the rp .. not the quantity of rp.. Yes.. i can find bits and dribbles of rp out there especially if i want to hang around a tavern but in my experience the rp has very little to do with what I thought the server was designed for. I've quoted a couple of my questions. Those are the main questions I was hoping for answers for.

Actually to further illustrate my point, I asked about a guild that i was joining what the concept was and if they had an underlying storyline that they were actively rping and the response I got was 'Not Really'. I thought because there were GMs involved (not criticizing the GMs because i know it takes everyone to be committed) that at least the purpose of the server would be more evident. I've also noticed that the guild members are rarely on for weeks at a time - that to me just shows lack of interest as well in what the guild was designed for.

I'm not asking for epic rp at least i don't think so. What exactly is considered epic rp?

If the rp that as some have suggested is just pockets of one of scenes here and there and rarely happens outside of taverns, then I'll adjust my expectations.
Well I'll be holding an epic event soon... hopefully.
I guess that epic RP is any RP that you really enjoy. So long as it's fun, that's what matters. Just look for spontaneous stuff, or join a guild that you like the looks of. Even if they only hold events once a week, so long as they're fun, what's the difference?

Aphet- Let's hope. <3
Quote:More people at GMI complaining of being bored than actually out of GMI doing something.

This, to has been irking me lately somewhat. And while it's something that has been said before, and players are encouraged to start up mini events, sometimes you just want to participate in RP, without having to be the DM or the person who starts it. However, a lot of people who cling around on GMI, do not seem to be all that movey. Which is, in some ways fine for it is their choice, in other ways disappointing because you really want to mingle with the people and RP.

I myself, have tried to change it but it is something that has to be changed by everyone. Then again, as Ben said, a lot of people (including me) also log in for the community. At times, I myself do nothing else then stand on GMI and talk to folks, or I stand on GMI and do profiles / other work. This has to be taken into account as well, as not everybody who logs onto CotH, logs on for RP.

Regarding this;
Quote:My character gets berated IC for hanging around Booty Bay by a GM on their character because the guild I belong to wouldn't be caught dead there. Too bad that rarely is anyone online from the guild when I"m on.

Feel free to send any chat logs, complaints or such towards the enforcer GMs or even Admin's if the issue has not been talked out. You should never be halted from RPing somewhere, because the group you associate with, or people, are rarely seen in an area.

Quote:I had an opportunity to join a guild that's starting up but although I'm sure it's fun for everyone else that's in it..it's sounds to me like it's going to be much like SIMS or Catan on WoW.

And to note as this, have you tried expressing your concerns to the ones that invited you? Maybe they have different views, or know more then you do in terms of planning and RP, giving you perhaps a un-suspected path to follow.

Though I admit, no guild seems to last on CotH forever, and right now, they are a dying breed.

As far as the Horde vs Alliance RP goes, (as I believe you meant that), it seems to have lessened greatly. While many seem to want it back, little seems to be attempted unless it's by an exceptional few who manage to really stand out. (I'm sure a lot of people tried, or are trying, but none really seem to stay in the heads of the CotHers for long). I believe it has something to do, that there is not a real feeling of being threatened and being in danger. Wherever you go.

I honestly could make my night elf wander the barrens, without fearing to be assaulted by any of the Horde. Which, is somewhat saddening. But hey, there is only so much a player can do.

While I understand the frustration, I'm afraid I do not magically know a solution. I wish I did really. I myself, am waiting for summer vacation, which, I really hope brings forth a big stream of new roleplayers, to mingle and express their ideas/wishes/plotlines/guilds/etc. Get things sparky again.

Edit: To post something further on guilds, I think it also comes down to the problems that guilds, ICly can not do much. Mercenary guilds can only be hired to kill other people off, which is often not a lovely thing to do. Military guilds can practice, and hold skirmishes but they really have no enemy to fight for, nor a war. And so the list goes on.

No matter how big the guild becomes, it seems there is no real chance for the guild to make their mark on the server. *Thinks*

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm honestly not sure.

Edit2: If this makes no sense whatsoever, please disregard. It's an itty bit late. Z.Z
I think I kinda understand what you're saying.

I haven't been on CoH that long at all, so I'm just drawing from retail experience when I say this...

I always assumed the tavern & relationship-based roleplay derived from people trying TOO hard not to godmod... So much that they bring themselves down to the level of hardly doing anything else. Folks end up in closed-off social bubbles, or functions of RP. However, it was also that being you can't affect/interact things in lore easily and safely, you can't really change or achieve goals. Whereas, in tavern RP, or relationships, you can have sway over someone's emotions or friendships.

While it can be fun socializing, I understand what you mean along the lines of lore-relevant RP. The reverse problem stems up, where folks use the lore to create a story, which eventually ends up excluding folks who weren't around at its start, given they won't understand/feel connections to the cirucumstances/now-adjusted storyline which has progressed with the RPers involved.

I figure that's why large events revolving with lore are the "better" ones, given they can mix the two, without isolating anyone.

Perhaps this isn't sounding as how I mean to describe/say, but... tl;dr

Get a group of likeminded folks (or pick some up along the way) to get tied into some sort of lore-related, conflict plot so that all parties are immersed, and none are isolated.

...If that makes sense.
So, if I got this right, you're complaining about the quantity of tavern RP in comparison to actual WoW RP? There lies a point in this to be honest. Tavern RP is something that can be done and exist in -every- single RP medium in existence. It is most likely the most common and therefore the most done type of RP. Perhaps Tequila expected something more than just. . .More Tavern RP. And you know what? She's right. And I've myself struggled with this and kind of solved it. What I did was get a couple of trusted friends and started up some dedicated storylines. From time to time, these friends bring in their own friends for a part of the storyline and my circle of friends expands.

I also stay the eff away from Booty Bay. Nothing good -ever- happens there. You either end up in some RP with characters that are just. . .Too. . .Silly to actually be -real.- Or if you try to keep some actual and serious RP, it is crashed by previously mentioned silly character, that for some reason always is a forsaken.

Tl;dr, I understand your dilemma. If you'd like to, contact me in any way and perhaps we can get something going.
I can't really see the point to this post, if I'm honest. Not as in it serves no use, but... I mean I literally cannot see the purpose of it. Is it to encourage people to have a change of RP? Or is it just a rant about how bad CotH is? It seems to be leaning more towards the latter than the former from what I've seen.

Reading through it, you've only seemed to establish these points:

1) The level of RP "absolutely sucks", in your own words.
2) Too many people loiter and complain on GM Island.
3) All the good RPers apparently do not exist.
4) There are only highschoolers on the server.

I'd really consider putting your argument forward more respectfully, if anything, no matter what it is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4