Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Obsessed with Reality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Page 1: Herbal Compendium

As this is a new tome of my compiled studies and knowledge, I see it fit that we begin this record in similar format to the books which came before it. As is standard I will begin this log with a quick resource guide of the many materials I have or will handle- beginning with herbs, which are perhaps the most plentiful in my fields of studies, as it has been.

I will preface this document for future readers that I am in no way properly trained in the field of alchemy. My information is gathered either from local sources or (as is often the case) personal use. I will stress to those of you reading that I am by no means a 'thistlehead' or whatever the proper terminology for your time will detail it as- I am simply recording the effects of imbibing these substances.

Without further delay, this is my compiled list of my current experience with the herbal substances of Azeroth and Outland. My less scholarly inclined readers of the future may find it more fitting to skip ahead to my experiments and other musings- It is indeed acknowledged that the compendium may not prove of much interest to some readers, but if science were always interesting then orcs might be able to do it.

Coincidentally, if you are an orc reading this in the far future when you have discovered how to decipher my dialogue, I offer my apologies for berating your ancestors intelligence. You may replace the previous statement with 'kobolds might be able to do it', as kobolds will at least be ten years behind the orcish intelligence quotient.

I will stress before we continue that I am not racist. I'm really not.

A. H. Silverlight's Compendium of Herbalism Wrote:Adder's Tongue- Stimulant. Increases user's alertness and reaction time. Side effects may include paranoia and violent thoughts. Not recommended for use in social settings.

Ancient Lichen- Seems to be used as a common additive in magical augmentation and stamina increasing potions. Causes mild stomach pain when ingested alone.

Arthas' Tears- Augments the user with shadow magic and makes them sensitive to the use of shadow. Tastes bitter. May lead to irrational violent tendencies. May lead to insomnia.

Black Lotus- Opens the mind. Used in many potions for spell augmentation. Excessive use may lead to coughing fits and hallucination.

Blindweed- Extremely bitter root. Can be combined with other components to create potent magical potions, and can also be used for blinding powder, per its name. Causes eyes to water.

Bloodthistle- Sin'dorei narcotic. Contains latent magical effects which provide magical empowerment to the user. Warning: Causes painful withdrawals. It is also mistakenly thought of as a cleanser of the body.

Aforementioned 'cleansing' is actually part of the withdrawal.

Briarthorn- Slow acting stimulant. Largely used for stomach pain and as a mild tonic for body pain and restoration, especially when placed alongside other components in alchemy.

Bruiseweed- Sedative; in low doses, can calm nerves. Popular use found in teas, particularly alongside peacebloom blossom or stranglekelp. Used in some recipes for healing properties.

Deadnettle- Stimulant which increases reflexes. May cause irrational anger and lack of in-depth cognitive processes in the user.

Mildly addictive. Causes an itch or rash.

Dragon's Teeth- Herb best used chilled. Refreshing, seemingly innocuous herb which augments the user to frost magic.

Dreamfoil- Bitter herb used commonly to treat coughs and fever and cold symptoms. Eases muscles and mind, and can be used as a curative ointment. Makes the user somewhat lightheaded. Potent when used in magical mixtures.

Dreaming Glory- Sweet tasting herb used as an anti-inflammatory agent, as well as a disinfectant. Often used to treat acne, rashes, irritation.

Used in beauty products, and serves as a powerful additive in healing salves.

Earthroot- Diuretic 'stimulant' for removing obstructions. Largely used in matters involving the digestive system. Often taken in tea.

Increases the user's physical strength when imbibed.

Fadeleaf- Curative for the eyes. Can aid with lessening vision and irritated eyes. Lesser use found in low-strength curatives, and was at a time used in blinding powders. Current uses increase user vision and awareness.

May cause headaches after effects fade. Also used in hallucinogens.

Fel Lotus- Fel tainted herb which grants temporary increase in user capabilities. When used alone effects are mild, but recipes may use the herb to augment others for a more potent effect.

Addictive. Causes heavy withdrawal symptoms not dissimilar from Bloodthistle. Gives the same narcotic effects.

Felweed- Fel tainted herb which causes effects similar to the Fel Lotus, but less effective. Used in other potions to increase potency.

Use alone can cause effects similar to poisoning.

Firebloom- As the name describes, closely aligned with flame. Augments the user to fire magic. Spicy, good flavoring in meals.

Causes extreme inflammation if taken alone. Again, very spicy. Often gathered for its red pigment.

Firethorn- Fire leafs share similar properties with firebloom, but much more potent. Caution: Do not consume alone. Very painful. Very spicy. Excellent when used sparingly in dishes.

Excellent for use in magical resistance potions.

Flame Cap- Mushroom native to Zangarmarsh which augments the user to flame. Very hot in meals.

May cause discomfort in the throat. So far useless in alchemical use.

Frost Lotus- Refreshing spice which has innate strengthening properties. Used in alchemy it can also enhance the user's augmentation with frost.

Delicious when prepared in meals.

Ghost Mushroom- Mushroom from the Zangarmarsh with hallucinogen properties. Makes the user on edge.

Also used in alchemy to create ethereal effects and increased shadow augmentation. Use sparingly.

Goldclover- Plentiful herb used as an additive in many alchemy potions. Has a pleasant odor, and can be used as a cleanser in skin ointments.

Golden Sansam- Mild healing component. Has a sweet taste and causes lightheadedness when imbibed. Has a sweet taste.

Goldthorn- 'All-in-one' herb. Goldthorn has excellent healing properties and can also be used for disinfection and to stave off disease.

Also used in beauty products. Cools irritation from minor burns and rashes.

Grave Moss- Strong gland stimulant. Alone it is very toxic, and is most often used in other mixtures to dilute the negative effects. It is advised that this herb be prepared only be an experienced alchemist, as overdosing is quite fatal.

Sometimes used to augment a user to shadow magic.

Gromsblood- Toxic herb used in the treatment of sore throats and skin blemishes. Use with caution.

Effects may include symptoms similar to food poisoning. Often used to incite violence in warriors.

Icecap- Stimulant which opens the mind. Increases the user's magical capabilities when imbibed. Unfortunately causes poisoning. Use with caution.

Icethorn- Nerve tonic which inhibits the user's capacity to feel pain. Feel is the key- Users often become overambitious and will cause more damage than would normally be incurred.

Also causes blood to clot faster, thus preventing rampant bleeding from said wounds.

Khadgar's Whisker- Heals skin, eases pain and tension. Has a sweet taste and aroma. Commonly used to improve attention, thus leading to its use as a 'study drug' for the inattentive student.

It is, obviously, used in magical enhancement potions.

Kingsblood- Common curative for coughs, colds, and digestive remedies. Though bitter, it is often given to young children due to its high safety in small doses.

The key is small doses. High use can lead to laxative effects. Higher doses can cause disturbed heart rhythm.

Lichbloom- Usually a toxic herb. Used in minor doses for its high properties in magical enhancement.

Liferoot- A primary tonic herb used in tandem with other herbs to improve vitality and peaceful sleep. Used largely by Tauren. Has a decent healing quality.

Mageroyal- Curative used to ease stomach pain and ease nerves. May externally be used as a hair lotion, as it has a pleasant aroma. May prevent premature balding. Also prevents dandruff.

Mana Thistle- My personal vice. A narcotic similar to bloodthistle and felweed, mana thistle opens the user's mind, eases the mind, and increases their awareness. Side effects manifest in a heavy withdrawal period and a mild addiction.

Mana thistle is most commonly used in magical elixers, as denoted by its name. It is essentially like felweed and bloodthistle, but without the corruption of fel.

Mountain Silversage- Silversage is a common additive to potions along with other outland herbs. It alone only serves as a mild spice and a fair flavor for tea.

Netherbloom- Netherbloom is another of the fel-tainted herbs found in Outland. Netherbloom works alongside other components to enhance their effects, as is usual with fel-tainted components. The resulting mixture is not by any means healthy, but it is certainly more potent that a normal salve.

Like most fel-tainted herbs, it is addictive.

Netherdust Bush- Netherdust pollen is hard to come by, as it can only be found in Shadowmoon Valley. It serves little use in alchemy, but can be used by spellcasters to heighten their magical capabilities.

It is also a potent narcotic. It is also very detrimental to your health, and has a strong addictive property.

Nightmare Vine- Nightmare vine is an unsavory regent which has found its way into many brews along ingredients such as felweed and terocone. The effects of nightmare vine give strength to a spellcaster's spells when imbibed, but alone it can cause disturbances in sleeping patterns and intense headaches.

It is recommended that only experienced alchemists brew with this vine.

Peacebloom- A remedial herb taken to ease pain from bruises and sores. Speeds recovery after injury or operation, and can treat abscesses.

Also holds the unsavory note of being perhaps one of the most widely referenced herbs used as a narcotic. Despite its infamy, it is extremely weak in effect, and holds little addiction.

Plaguebloom- A rarely used herb which is known to ease heart conditions. The plant itself is highly irritating to the touch, and is largely toxic. It sees somewhat more avid use in combat elixirs, but it is still advised that a trained chemist oversee the use of this deadly herb.

Purple Lotus- Remedies circulation and gives euphoric feelings when ingested. Commonly smoked as dried pedals, and is often used in perfumes.

Ragveil- Numbing herb used avidly by warriors to deaden their nerves to injuries, or by doctors to ease injured patients. Has multiple uses in the field of sensory awareness.

Silverleaf- Curative herb used for ailments such as smallpox. Eases fevers and rheumatisms, and is known to aid conditions of jaundice.

It can also be mixed with other components for basic, low-strength potions.

Sorrowmoss- Herb of mild toxicity. Often only used in potions, usually in restorative salves. Not overly dangerous to consumption, but very bitter and invokes stomach pain.

Stranglekelp- Plentiful crop found on coastal regions. Makes an excellent wound dressing and is a source of iodine. Can treat thyroid issues and relieve arthritis.

Calms heartburn. Also a mild opiate.

Sungrass- Aromatic herb usually used as in potpourri. Not very palatable. Uses in alchemy involve restorative salves.

Swiftthistle- Stimulant. In small doses is excellent for an energizing cup of tea. Causes hunger pangs and strengthens the immune system.

Too much consumption will lead to vomiting. Do not use in excess.

Talandra's Rose- Herb of pleasant pigment and aroma, often used in potpourri and for dye. It has little flavor, and is most often used as an additive to salves to dilute discomfort from over ingredients.

Terocone- Makes a delicious juice drink. Often used alongside other components to mitigate an unpleasant bitter taste or to dull the negative effects of an herb.

Tiger Lily- Pollen can cause drowsiness and upset stomach, but the herb itself when prepared may actually relieve pain and pressure in the abdomen. Often use to ease recovery after childbirth.

Used in some mixtures for its numbing capabilities. Also increases awareness and reflex speed.

Wild Steelbloom- Increases muscle strength. Used as an anabolic product in athletic training, particularly useful for training warriors uninhibited by safety measures, such as a berserker.

Used in small doses to ease cold symptoms.

Wildvine- Has a potent odor, making is undesirable to be kept around in most clinics. Despite its foul smell it can actually remedy nausea, and ease motion sickness and insomnia.

It is rarely used by current herbalists, as the herb is fresh for only a short time, and it has a foul taste to accompany its disgusting odor.

Wintersbite- Anti-inflammatory herb, aids with asthma and bronchitis. Root is particularly useful when dealing with skin conditions- Often sought for its ability to decrease signs of age.

Great for conditioning hair (from personal experience). Extract may be used for delicious meals.

~Aldous Hrimfaxi Silverlight

Spoiler:
Send your thoughts to my feedback thread!
Much was referenced from http://www.wowpedia.org/User:Eveshka/A_M ... land_Herbs
Page 2: Mineral Compendium

Due to upcoming work, I will be ending the compendium with a list of metals. I am not a smith in any sense, and thus much of this information is second hand. The magical attributes of this are subject to question as well, but I will seek information as it becomes necessary.

That being said, let us proceed.

A. H. Silverlight's Compendium of Minerals Wrote:Adamantite- Material of greater strength than Thorium. Found most commonly in Outland.

Arcanite- Rare metal which is required to forge elementium. Has a dull, grayish tone, even when tempered, but can keep a keener edge than most other metals. Extremely flexible. It is forged via Alchemy by way of arcane-imbued crystals and thorium minerals. It is notable that arcanite itself is used in enchanting, and is employed in creating runed rods for spells.

Bloodstone- Blood-colored substance found in the Arathi Highlands. It is not suitable for forging weapons or armor due to its weak nature, but may used to craft excellent jewelry. It is rarely used in smithing for alloys, as mistakes in ratios may lead to brittle, often useless results. Ratios vary depending on the sample of ore, and only a skilled smith can craft a good alloy of the material.

Lesser bloodstone makes up 95% of all bloodstone ore gathered. Greater ore has yet to be examined by my own eyes. I will leave space in this entry, on the chance that I do find a sample.

Brass- Commonly used alloy, consisting of copper and zinc.

Bronze- Another common alloy made from the combination of copper and tin.

Cobalt- Blue ore native to Northrend. Often plentiful in most regions of the frozen continent, and is thus has been mass employed by the factions at work there. Makes good jewelry due to its unique tint.

Copper- Extremely common and weak ore, used to mint our lowest currency. Largely worthless to all but beginning craftsmen and warriors. Soft material, turns from its bronze coloration to green as it is weathered. Often contains tigerseye, malachite, and shadowgems within its deposits.

Dark Iron- Tough metal found in and around Blackrock Mountain. Inherently volcanic in origin and thus dark in color. Useless to most smiths, as the metal may only be forged in extreme heat, without magical corruption present. Forges such as Dalaran are thus rendered useless. It is said that the Dark Irons forge this metal in a forge built onto molten lava, just for this purpose.

I am informed that attempting to enchant dark iron is a useless quandary- Magical dark iron crafts must be enchanted at the time of forging, and with great care. The metal itself appears almost akin to charcoal, and seems fragile to the eye- It is actually quite resilient, though.

Darkspine Iron- Metal found on the Darkspine Naga found to linger on the Isle of Quel'Danas. I have yet to manage a quality sample of this ore, and so far I have heard nothing of its quality.

Elunite- Metal precious to the Kaldorei, as it is 'blessed by the goddess' herself. I expect that it is simply a name for a more common ore, as I have not heard of its use by other smiths. It is possible that the Kaldorei simply horde the resource, though.

Elementium- Legendary ore. Though I have not had experience handling more than one errant chunk of this substance, I have been told that the ore is rare and difficult to process. Though it creates extremely powerful weapons and armor, its difficulty to obtain has led it to be very scarcely used.

According to archaeologist records, elementium has only been found in regions with high concentrations of elemental activity. elementium is attested to not be native to Azeroth, but is in fact thought to be carried over by elementals bridging worlds from the Elemental Plane.

The unique properties of this ore are said to deal with channeling elemental forces and its immunity to cold, flame, and electricity. It is the hardest known metal, but armor crafted of elementium would (theoretically, from my observations of the small sample I managed) be far too heavy for any warrior to hold and maintain mobility.

Eternium- Eternium is a rare ore native to Outland, found to be forming in ore of fel iron, adamantite, and khorium. Due to its rarity I have yet to obtain a sample, and the smiths I have contacted native to Azeroth have had little experience as well. I will need to travel to Shattrath, perhaps, to obtain sufficient data of this mineral.

Fel Iron- Fel-tainted metal found native to Outland. The material is found all throughout the shattered world, likely from residual taint from its shattering. While it is inevitably tainted, the taint rarely manifests itself, unlike more potent materials such as Saronite.

Felsteel- An alloy of fel iron and eternium. Due to the scarcity of eternium I have yet to collect a sufficient specimen of this material as well.

Gold- Precious, soft metal mined from rich earth in Azeroth. Accepted as currency in almost all circles, perhaps due to its relative scarcity. Gold mines are established all around the world with the express purpose of producing as much gold as can be stripped from the soil. Military forces often protect these mines, and it is rare to find these deposits outside of an established mine.

Incendicite- Curious ore found in caverns in the Khaz Modan Wetlands. The mineral has a red tint to it, and has the peculiar feature of emitting a thick smoke from its surface. As its name indicates, it is an especially volatile material, often finding use in explosives such as cannon shells.

Making armor or weaponry of incendicite would be extremely unwise.

Indurium- A lightweight metal said to be found in the Khaz Modan Badlands. It has so far only been found in the Uldaman dig site- I will need to make an expedition there to recover samples for further documentation.

Iron- Common ore, often used in construction and in the forging of armor of typical strength. Native to Azeroth, usually less preferred than the alloy of steel.

Khorium- A very bizarre ore in appearance. Quite tough, rarely found in Outland. It has about the same elusive nature as Truesilver might, and is seldom found on Quel'Danas. Its bizarre appearance is that of a purple ore, with waves of latent energy emanating from it.

Lead- Material used in construction, bullets, weights, and other devices. It is unfortunately a potent neurotoxin, leading to blood disorders and brain damage.

Mithril- A silvery, glistening metal which is lighter than iron, though just as hard. It can be worked to forge armor and weapons, though it is less desirable in the case of axes due to its lighter weight. It is somewhat rare, though can be easily obtained in certain regions. It is said that an item made of mithril weighs half as much as items crafted from other metals.

Platinum- A rare metal. Though it has been considered for coinage it is currently more often used as a decorative addition. From my own consideration, I would assume that the lack of a steady income of the material would be what inhibits its implementation as a currency.

Quicksilver- Causes poisoning. Despite this, it has been fashioned in place of silver to create trinkets. Their wearers are most likely rich. And dead.

Rethban- Ore native to the caverns of Lakeshire. Named after a human. It is not as strong as iron, but it is used by some scribes in dye to prevent smearing and for quick drying of ink. Gnolls apparently have begun to harvest this ore as well.

Saronite- An element associated with the Old God Yogg-Saron, thus its name. Of Tuskarr legend it is known as the 'Black Blood of Yogg-Saron', and is native to the frozen continent of Northrend. It sees considerable use there by the Scourge, who are evidently immune to its malicious effects.

On that note, let me set a note that this material is inherently evil. Seriously. Nature magic is all but nullified against it, and arcanite hardly scratches it. Holy light is reflected, even. The ore has the unfortunate side effect of driving those who employee it insane, usually warping their perception of reality. Argent smiths have evidently found a method of mitigating these effects.

Silver- A metal used commonly in coinage. It is less valued than gold, and often used as decor.

Steel- Alloy of iron and coal. Often used in construction and for armor and weaponry of ranging quality.

Thorium- Metal of relative rarity, combining the weight of lead and the strength of steel. Thorium's strength can only be pierced by adamantine with reliability, at least when considered from the commonly accessed metals of Azeroth.

It is often prized by orcish smiths for its weight, allowing stronger swings for the warriors wielding the armaments.

Tin- Weak metal, used often in containers. It sees little use otherwise, as a tin weapon would break easily and a suit of armor would be quickly punctured. It is more often used in an alloy for bronze, along with copper.

Titanium- Rare metal found in Northrend. Its name is leant from the Titans, as it is most often found in regions already of their origin.

Titansteel- An even more fortified rendition of Titanium, forged from an alloy of Titanium and elemental cores. While I have not had the ability to examine this ore, I can only assume that the elemental fortification has placed it in an even more superb quality. Its many regents and the skill required to craft it makes it a rare sight.

Truesilver- An ore with magical properties, often sought for use in heavy armor. Due to its arcane properties, it also has been known to be put to use by enchanters. It is found alongside silver, and is identified by an azure color. Smiths handling truesilver must smelt in a way in which all impurities are removed, as truesilver cannot be reused one forged into an object. Attempts to reheat truesilver produce a liquid akin to mercury, and it never solidifies after. Because of this, despite its rarity, it is seldom used due to the frustration involved. Floors of blacksmith shops are littered with scraps of the material.

Umbral- A strange ore discovered in Dun Morogh. Being that it was discovered after the split of the Sinâ'dorei, I have yet to acquire a fair sample of this ore.

Underlight- Ore recently discovered in the Ghostlands. Despite its close proximity to my home, the undead and the gnolls which overrun the mine have prevented my gaining sufficient samples of the material. As it has not been implemented by the Sin'dorei in any way, though, I must assume that it has few desirable qualities. I will obtain a sample when possible.

Thus concludes this part of the compendium.

Page 3: The Basics of Magic - Arcane

Let us begin with basic knowledge, in the case that my future reader's society has regressed in any form. Basic magical theory dictates that there are two categories which all forms of magic must be fitted into; the Arcane, and the Divine. The scope of Arcane envelops such fields of magic such as the general arcane, Fel, Necromancy, Nature, and Rune magic. Divine consists of Druidism, Shamanism, Voodoo, and, of course, the Holy Light. It is commonly accepted that Night Elven and Tauren Nature magic is placed here as well at times- This is clearly an error on the part of a biased party.

Let us begin with the most familiar of these subcategories of magic; the Arcane. Before I begin my dissertation in any great detail, you must become familiar with four simple, easily understood laws:

Intro: A. H. Silverlight's Arcane Compendium (Book 1, Edition II) Wrote:
  • Magic is powerful.
This is something that is perhaps most easily understood. If you are not blind and deaf, by now you have seen or heard of the use of magic. If you are also not mentally regressed, you have realized that this is a rather big deal. The use of magic has and continues to be rising by the day, and by this point armies have become nothing less than dependent upon it. A nation needs magic as a hawk needs its wings, and any civilization foolish enough to lack the use of magic has always fallen prey to those which do. Your blades mean nothing when a pyromancer can melt the thing.
  • Magic is Corrupting.
Magic corrupts a man to the core. It breeds pride and arrogance, and withers the body, often aging it before their time. While the naive may seek the answer that this is only brought upon by Fel and Necromantic magic are only deceiving themselves. It is for this exact reason that, when looking upon the vast array of disasters caused by the Arcane in recorded history that the common quip is heard; That will not be us. We are too wise.
  • Magic is an Addiction.
Frequent use of magic leads to a dependency upon it. To cast a spell is to feel power, and to cast a major spell is to attain a taste of godhood. Eventually those whom succumb too far to this addiction will drift away; the weak will seek fel energy to sate their lust for power.
  • Magic Attracts Demons Like Flies to Honey
If you believe that arcane is pure magic, I urge you to consider history. The use of magic is a proverbial gateway for demonic beings, having led to the Burning Legion's rampage into Azeroth at least three times at current. To make use of magic is to inevitably deal with the forces of the Twisting Nether. It is only through measured use and knowledge that one can safely use magic.

Are we in understanding? Good. Let us continue.

Arcane branches in various ways, and the most accepted variations are as follows:
  • Arcane- Often referred to as 'air' in combination with the other four elements.

Fel

Frost- Hydromancy.

Fire- Pyromancy.

Shadow- Necromancy. Partly shared with the Divine magic category.

Nature- A debated placement, as Night Elves will readily attest Nature magic to being Divine. Despite this, it is still evident that Natural magic requires no faith based casting in that it is harnessed by common mages, most notably being the farmers of Gilneas.

While we may not come to study all of these branches of the Arcane in extreme depth, we will in the least take note of the basic Arcane. Arcane in its own right diverges (yet again) into different schools. We will take the time to explore these in great detail, beginning with:

• A. H. Silverlight's Basics of Arcane: Abjuration Wrote:
    Abjuration

Abjuration is a study of protective magic. Being that the training mage is most often not excelling in the physical field and by no means is wearing any protective armor to speak of, this is perhaps the most important objective to study. All forms of mana shields are encompassed within this school of magic, as are spells such as 'mage armor' and so forth.

Pure mana shields are among the most formidable spells of this field, but also the most mentally taxing- each strike the shield absorbs must be recompensed with the mental energies of the mage sustaining the spell. As such, overuse of this shield may lead to a mage's unconsciousness, followed by a prompt demise. With the mana shield's taxing efforts taken into account, elemental armor (a much more basic abjuration technique) took hold. While these elemental shields are much more effortlessly maintained, they are not quite as effective. Indeed, some elemental shields do not even attempt to blockade strikes from an enemy, but instead will simply 'persuade' the foe to not strike- a shield of flame, for instance, may be struck through, but will sear the assailant in the process.

In this case, it is safe to assume that the attacker will retreat. Or begin shooting you.

Beyond personal shielding are wards, potent incantations which may protect the caster, a target, or an object from a form of damage. Such as burning yourself when conjuring a fire shield.

A. H. Silverlight's Basics of Arcane: Conjuration Wrote:
    Conjuration

The study of summoning, to place things simply. From summoning elementals to conjuring a muffin, the school of conjuration envelops all forms of creating something from nothing. The ability to conjure food and water is a invaluable skill to the travelling mage- especially when traversing arid regions. It is important to note that these magical pastries and liquids are not without a cost; a mage's own magical energy is exerted for forge them, and if a mage goes for too long without replenishing his own energies with non-conjured food and water, he will eventually find himself unable to conjure.

Beyond pastries and glasses of water come elementals, of which there are many different fashions. Water elementals are the most commonly summoned companion, typically because they are the easiest to control. Fire elementals were employed for a time, but when let loose from their bindings (either by accident or by the death of their mage) they were found to become unruly, and rampage until destroyed. Water elementals on the other hand were seen to be much more docile when unleashed, often simply making their way off on other concerns. Other elemental creatures are known, such as the air and earth elementals, but control of these two have so far been regulated only to shamanistic casters.

Arcane elementals (also known as Elemental Conglomerates) also exist, and are often 'primal' or 'prismatic' in nature- thus consisting of air, earth, fire, and water magics. Arcane elementals seem to exhibit their own will even when bound, and at times will form naturally. Many even exhibit speech in common. They are, due to their complex nature, more difficult to conjure.

A. H. Silverlight's Basics of Arcane: Divination Wrote:
    Divination

Divination is a subsection of magic devoted to the gathering of information. The most common spell known of this selection is known as 'scrying', and is the magical practice of locating a person or object of interest. Scrying usually involves seeing these things through a medium of sorts, and more often than not there is at least some component required (usually of importance in terms of the target) which is needed to divine the location of the target. Powerful divinists have harnessed a 'far sight' similar to the shamans of the Horde. Divination may also be used to reveal the unseen, such as restless spirits. The most common method of divination is by use of scrying pools, using basins of water to display the image desired.

A. H. Silverlight's Basics of Arcane: Enchantment Wrote:
    Enchantment

Enchantment is a magical school which is quite unique, in that it is not relegated to magi alone. Any commoner may be taught enchanting, though they will have difficult grasping the technique compared to the magi. As well, they will require runed rods for practically any spell.

Moving on, though, enchantment is the process of imbuing an object. Or a person. Magic is not discerning of such things. Enchantments may range from a fleeting increase of speed to a permanent spell placed upon a weapon or armor piece. Also in this category of spellcraft is disenchanting, which is simply the art of reversing an enchantment. Dispel is a spell used from the enchantment school of magic, as is the ability to disenchant objects into crystallized mana. Enchantment may also be used to create weapons which wield themselves.

A. H. Silverlight's Basics of Arcane: Evocation Wrote:
    Evocation

Evocation is the most basic of magical schools, so much so that it is hardly considered a school itself. It encompasses spells meant to inflict damage upon others, such as the firebolt or ice lance. Evocation is usually the first taught 'school', as it merely requires the student to conjure a bolt of flame or ice, and little else.

It also quickly motivates students to learn abjuration spells to protect them from the firebolts they are dropping on themselves.

A. H. Silverlight's Basics of Arcane: Illusion Wrote:
    Illusion

Illusion is the art of deception. The illusionist is one who warps the perception of those around him, showing them different people, different places, or perhaps nothing at all, as is the case with the invisibility spell. Illusion spells may alter every sense of the beholder, even masking footfalls and speech. The accomplished battle mage may even alter one armies perception of his allies- forming a line of 'orcs' right behind a marching unit of humans, for instance.

It is worth noting, however, that no matter the strength of your illusions, almost indiscernible is not good enough. Divination can be used to easily dispel illusions, and some divinists can see through a well-crafted illusion with a simple glance.

A. H. Silverlight's Basics of Arcane: Necromancy Wrote:
    Necromancy

Necromancy is magic involving death and shadow. It is in fact outlawed in nearly all societies; it is only though the alliance with the Forsaken that I was able to obtain the following information without being reprimanded by authorities for seeking banned material.

Necromancy should be no stranger to most denizens of Azeroth, as the Scourge's taint has been far reaching and, in other cases, many more primitive races take practice in necromantic magic regardless. While raising skeletal or spectral servants is one facet to necromancy, others exist. Necromantic magic may be used to conjure virulent diseases, harness shadow energy into volatile spells, and rot the very land upon which the necromancer walks. Necromancy is, contrary to most beliefs, an offshoot of arcane, and to be more specific the path of a hydromancer.

Necromancers commonly employee frost magic alongside their creations. Why frost magic is chosen is not particularly known, but theories have stated that heat may cause adverse effects in hastily risen undead. Necromancy may also be used to mend the undead creations of the caster.

It is worth noting that necromancers take an inevitable fall as they delve further into their craft- almost every adept necromancer has fallen into undeath, and the most powerful have become the powerful liches.

A. H. Silverlight's Basics of Arcane: Transmutation Wrote:
    Transmutation

Often the most popular and useful of the arcane schools is transmutation, which has the wondrous description of 'manipulating space and time'. It is, simply put, turning one thing into another. Sometimes confused to be only a technique employed by alchemists, transmutation is in fact in effect when spells such as polymorph and blink. Teleportation also takes its place within this school, and is the spell most recognized of it to the learned mages.

Let us pause a moment to discuss teleportation, lest you go and attempt to learn and cast such a spell now. Teleportation is not a toy. Teleportation is a physically exerting activity, and attempting to haphazardly cast such a spell is unadvised. There is a very specific reason that mages teleport to a single designated region of a city, and it is because teleportation to an undefined location can lead to your death, often with your body sticking out of a mage tower, or halfway into the floor.

Let us reiterate: Do not cast a teleportation spell on the go. You will die, and the other mages will laugh.

Have we got that cleared away? Excellent. Let us continue.

Spells which manipulate time also fall into this category, such as the slow-fall spell. Theoretical haste spells also exist. I expect such a spell to be quite possible, seeing as the slow spell is present, but so far no haste spell has been fully developed.

So concludes our study of the schools of arcane. I will touch lightly upon the other fields of magic in the following pages.

Page 4: The Basics of Fel Magic

As we continue on in our dissertation upon the basic magical fields, the next field of relevance is the branch of Arcane known as fel. Before continuing forth, it bears repeating that fel magic is all-corruptng; body and soul. Fel magic contorts the mind and twists the very body of those who use it. The corruption of fel magic is evident in multiple ways, and it is evident in such creatures as the fallen Sin'dorei Wretched, the fel-tainted Helboars, and the desolate land of the Shadowmoon Valley.

Inevitably, if one is to master the art of the demon's magic, he will eventually be mastered by the demons.

Are we square? Yes? Then let us move on.

fel is the ultimate manifestation of the Arcane. It derives its power from the blood of demons, and spells cast using fel magic are extremely difficult to resist. Some demonic magic even has the ability to completely bypass armor, and others can only be mitigated by a dispel of some description. Because of this, and the euphoric experience connected to channeling fel, it often is pursued by the young and foolish of the magi, seeking to advance beyond their true capacity for the arcane with the chaotic fel.

While I am in no means familiar with the way of a warlock, I have spoken with countless of them to compile what I can only hope is an unbiased view of the practice and its true machinations. Most often than not, fel magic is first introduced to apprenticing warlocks via cults- Though, for a time, one could freely solicit a demon's blood in Silvermoon, during the wayward rule of Kael'thas. Such blood is the key to beginning the darker arts of the arcane, as imbibing the blood gives the caster the capability to cast fel magic in place of their usual abjurations.

I will note that I have been told by countless sources, warlocks included, that the consumption is in fact a terrible process to go through- It is not nearly as glamorous as some are led to believe, as it often involves violent retching and all the effects of a virus. Fel blood is, in fact, poisonous, and large doses can kill a man who has not been corrupted and attuned to it.

A suitable replacement for fel blood is found by simply siphoning demonic magic from a bound demon, as was the case of my people during the days after the destruction of the Sunwell. While this may dispel the more adverse physical ramifications of ingesting fel blood, it actually accelerates the corruption of the body.

Carrying on, assuming you are not completely unaware of the darker arts of the Arcane, you have most likely caught wind of such characters as the warlocks, and their covens. To better understand these practitioners, let us dissect their practice in the three branches of which they already differentiate themselves: Affliction, Demonology, and Destruction.

A. H. Silverlight's Dissertation on Demons and Demonic Magic Wrote:The path of Affliction is one characterized by the infliction of pain and suffering in victims, moreso than their actual demise (though such often follows afterwards). The master of affliction revels in inflicting curses and draining the life of his foes; usually siphoning the life or energy to harness for their own needs.

Demonology is perhaps the most iconic field of fel magic. Demonologists harness the power of the denizens of the Twisting Nether for their own ends, sometimes even taking on a twisted form similar to them. They are almost always seen accompanied by their demonic minions, and have a much more refined control over their drudges than other warlocks.

Finally there is the Destruction school of learning. Those who specialize in this school have nearly no subtlety- their goal is devastation, and they care not how such destruction is brought about. These individuals often have something of a lust for blood, and are often among the most zealous to charge into battle for their demonic masters. Of their powers they command such spells as the Chaos Bolt, Conflagration, and augments to their demons to increase their capabilities.

As you can see from the above, there is a reason I did not take the time to go into full detail on the subject of fel magic; it has almost no application towards any scientific endeavors whatsoever. Fel users are most often those who seek to strengthen themselves in evocation, and it is apparent; fel magic is a magic designed to destroy, not create.

That is enough writing for today. Tomorrow I will begin work on my summary of the elements.

Page 5: An Abbreviated Survey of the Elements

With the unsightly fel magic now behind us, I find it ironically appropriate to continue onto the elements. Elements are found in almost every region of Azeroth and the Outlands, be it in natural forms or in volatile manifestations. While it is the shaman's magic which binds the elements and calls them to their aid, Magi often can play a hand in utilizing these natural forces as well.

The most identifiable use of the elements comes in the form of the frost and fire mages, but that is hardly the extent of the mages power over this domain.

Before we delve further, let us pause to consider the elements and their attributes.

A. H. Silverlight's Wizard's Almanac: The Elements Wrote:
  • Air: These elementals are spirits of the air, storm, anything which can be encompassed by weather. They are often violent, favoring reclusive lands such as mountaintops and other high and remote places. They attempt to change the world (erosion, for instance), and any further motivation is not completely evident. These creatures appear as a crackling cloud, with a pair of glowing yellow orbs visible within; columns of cloud pour out from the side of the creature, forming its arms. They move silently but swiftly, surging across the landscape, entrapping those they see as threats in volatile cyclones.

In terms of material use, these elementals are not overly useful. Objects can be charged with electricity from withstanding blows from some, and few yield cores which may prove a possible energy source for an engineer. When used in casting, the elemental attribute of air is usually harnessed in order to stun a foe, or hasten the steps of a caster. It is hard to apply in combat, due to the fact that a brisk breeze rarely has been known to kill anyone, outside of possibly a gnome.

Earth: Elementals of earth are beings of hulking stone bodies, usually with bulky humanoid torsos which trail into swirling masses of rock and dirt. They are easily the strongest of the basic elementals due to their earthen bodies, and despite their size they are able to move over and through earthen terrain at shocking speed. Despite what might be expected of these large elementals they are actually quite slow to anger, and thus are usually able to be studied without much danger of an assault.

Usually. I stress that.

Moving on, these creatures tend to contain small deposits of precious minerals within them, which makes them a target for an adventurous and combative miner. Their solid stones may be ground into a fine dust, usable in blasting powder. When evoked by a shaman or geomancer, the powers of earth can be used to entrap enemies and destabilize the ground beneath them. The use of shields of rock is another use of this element; it seems to see equal use in offense and defense.

Fire: Beings of living flame, usually taking the form of a nearly humanoid body atop a heated blaze. These creatures are volatile, and it is rare to be able to observe them without incurring their wrath for trespassing. When observed naturally they tend to run amok, attempting to blot out most everything they see with a char. Despite their unruly nature, shamans can at time harness them as aids in battle.

Elemental materials which can be collected from these creatures are few, save perhaps an essence of the flame which animates these beings- capable of use in enchantments and particularly useful in forging. Spellcraft associated with the spectrum of flame is shared between shaman and magi, who both are able to bend the element to their will. Fire magic is almost purely offensive in it's basic state, though some adventurous warders have found it possible to form fire-resistant shields using the magic.

Water: Finally, the element of water is what is commonly known as the restorative element, when speaking in terms of shamanistic magic. Despite this, many applications for offensive water elementals exist; usually in the form of scathing water or, as it is commonly used by mages, frost. Frost magic is a favored school of elemental magic due to the stability it offers (despite the fact that frost is, technically, an elemental conglomerate)- almost any mage may keep a water elemental under his control once he has mastered the summoning spell, whereas only the most dedicated of summoners could retain a fire elemental under their command.

In elemental form, these creatures appear as a roughly humanoid torso, the bottom of the body cascading into a swirling mass of water. Water elementals are somewhat unpredictable, as they prove to be both docile and viciously territorial at any moments notice. When harnessed for materials, they can provide an enriching, magical liquid- usable in alchemy, or alone for magical augmentation and a simple, light-strength curative.

This is the standard elemental array, but what is fascinating about the elements is how they intertwine with one another. While perhaps less useful to spellcasters, the combination of elements leads to what is known as elemental conglomerates.

Dual Elemental Conglomerates
  • Dust: Combination of the air and earth element. These conglomerates are often found in dry fields and desert landscapes, and are more often than not very hostile to strangers trespassing on the lands they roam.

The residue from dust elementals can be manufactured into a potent sleeping powder, though that seems to be about the only profitable use that can be derived from them.

Ice: The ice elementals are conglomerates of elemental air and water. When found as animated elements they are quite imposing to the sight- hulking ice-carved creatures, with jagged shards of frost flying about the creature's body. Unlike the often calmer water elementals, the frozen ice elemental is much more often prone to violence. It could be inferred that they are uncomfortable with the living creature's body heat, but personally it is more easily described as the usual violent behavior found in these conglomerates.

Ice elementals yield frigid cores which, among other things, can be used to hastily cool a beverage.

Spark: These elements are forged of fire and air, and are hardly identifiable from the usual manifestation of a storm elemental. They are vortexes of violent natural energies, often littered with the crackle of thunder on their figures.

Spark elementals are particularly useful for engineers due to their cores, which can be manipulated to yield a fair source of power from an object of comparatively small size.

Mud: While I personally have not seen this form of elemental manifest, in theory a creature born of water and earth would be of this general description.

I would imagine a being of mud to not contain much of use, magically or otherwise. Perhaps clay. I will revisit this entry if I ever have the chance to observe this creature.

Steam: Steam elementals are beings of fire and water, and seem to naturally form in hot springs at times.

While I have no actual experience with such a material, it is possible that the core of these elementals could prove a potent energy source for steam-powered machinery.

Triumvirate Elemental Conglomerates
I will preface with the forewarning that I have never been able to observe a triumvirate conglomerate. Being as the dual conglomerates are in their own right more powerful than the standard elemental, though, it stands to reason that (in theory) a triumvirate elemental would be more powerful still. In theory, though, the four elemental conglomerates which could form would be:
  • Geyser (air, fire, water)

Pyroclastic (air, earth, fire)

Sandstorm (air, earth, water)

Volcanic (earth, fire, water)

If I ever have a chance to observe these creatures I will commit their attributes to paper. So far, though, the only word of these creatures has been from treacherous regions, such as the molten core of Blackrock Mountain.

Complete elemental conglomerates composed of all four elements are regarded as primal elementals. When a primal conglomerate is created via the arcane, they are simply arcane elementals.

Once more, such creatures as primal elementals have not been observed by myself. In theory such a creature would be able to shift between the spectrum of elements, able to tap into every asset of elemental magic. The residue of such a creature could prove of immense value, in a multitude of ways.

Continuing on, (and I realize that I made light note of these objects in the above selection), I would like to take a moment to make note of elemental cores. These cores are a resource harnessed from natural forming elementals and, as stated above, can serve multiple purposes. Since the discovery of elemental cores, they have become an invaluable asset to almost any craftsman; able to, when combined appropriately, strength a shield, keep a blade keen, or light, or even amplify the magical attribute of a spellcaster's wand.

Harvesting elemental cores can be a very lucrative endeavor, but the danger associated makes suppliers few and far between. Engineers seeking to harness elemental power have instead taken to using a device known as a mote extractor, a machine which can extract elemental energy from naturally forming clouds of elemental essence. These samples are, more often than not, smaller yet of a higher quality.

Next, we shall discuss shadow magic.

Page 6: A Discourse on the Magic of Nature and Shadow

Being that I am quite inexperienced in the machinations of both shadow magic and natural druidic magic, I will be placing these two in one abbreviated survey. Let us begin with shadow, as was promised in the page prior.

As both of these are a divine magical school, I will give a brief explanation of divine magic; divine magic is basically a power which is derived from peaceful worship to a certain deity, and receiving magical ability from that. Other magical schools, such as the arcane, simply harness the energies they seek, and bend them to their will. In this way divine magic may be considered more potent, as it is pure, unaltered power being wielded by the caster- at the same time they are often bound to a rigidly enforced life style, though, and thus their powers must be used as their deities will them as well.

A. H. Silverlight's Wizard's Almanac: Shadow Wrote:Shadow is a school of magic usually said to be the antithesis of the holy light; in fact it is actually categorized as a part of the divine magic type, as is the same with natur[/i]e and holy magic. The basic faith of the average shadow user is known as the 'Forgotten Shadow', a church founded of the Undercity. Another common haven for those acquainted with the shadow is the multiple cults centered around the Old Gods, and is also prominent within the followers of the Scourge. Because of this there exists significant bias against the craft amongst the factions of the Horde, and even more so within the Alliance.

The main purpose of shadow magic deals with inflicting damage upon the foes of the user. Often this is through means of a magical plague, or more typical evocation. Shadow magic shares some similarities with the warlock specialization of affliction, as it often times involves spells dealing with a longer duration, but a more potent and slow-acting affliction. Many shadow spells deal with afflicting the mind of their victims, not just their body; pain is often wrought upon the mind, and can also distort their perception of the world around them.

Aside from the prominent offensive aspect of the school of shadow magic, there is also the iconic shadowform, a spell devised to aid in the protection and amplification of the shadow user and his or her magical power. Almost every user of shadow magic has an understanding of this spell, and it is often a necessity in preserving the user- shadowform consumes the caster in shadow, mitigating physical damage inflicted upon them. Those who are much more proficient with shadow may be capable of casting dispersion, a spell allowing the user to free themselves from bonds by becoming incorporeal for a moment. This also allows them to rejuvenate them in some form, refreshing their mind to allow them to continue battle.

Besides the information above, I have no further knowledge of shadow magic. I will update if I ever come upon further data.

Next is natural magic; as is with shadow magic it too is known as a divine school of magic, and derive their faith largely in the Earthmother (for Tauren) or the Goddess of the Moon, Elune, for the Kaldorei. Humans and Trolls have also been known to harness the power of the natural world on occasion, though human casters are largely secular, and the Trolls default to their animal loa for their own magic.

Below is my minute knowledge on natural magic.

A. H. Silverlight's Wizard's Almanac: Druidism Wrote:Natural magic contains almost all spells weaved by the druids, of any race or organization. Unlike the shaman they do not revere a specific element, instead deriving their magical abilities from veneration of the natural world as a whole. Their powers are greatly based upon the natural world around them, and a druid may be inhibited in a completely man-made environment. Tauren and Kaldorei in particular worship the Earthmother and the Goddess Elune respectively, and they derive some of their abilities through a mystical plane known as the 'emerald dream'. I do not have sufficient information on the subject of this realm, but from the basic understanding I have been imparted with, it is in layman's terms a pure, natural mimic of Azeroth. As of recent the emerald dream has come under attack, though I am not entirely sure if the druids and their powers are significantly effected by this.

A peculiar staple of the druids and their craft is shapeshifting- commonly into the animal forms of feline, ursine, and avian creatures. The druids specifically proficient in a single form are typically known as totemic druids, and often organize under such names as the druid of the claw, fang, talon, and other monikers. Other shapes a druid may take seem to be seals and snakes, though troll shapeshifters have expressed a much more versatile array of abilities in this field. It is not established if these shapeshifters are in fact druids, or are perhaps something entirely different.

Aside from shapeshifting another facet of druidic magic comes in the form of curative spells, able to mend wounds with the restorative properties of the natural magic the druids employee. Druids are also capable of expunging corrupting poisons or curses. Beyond healing, natural magic may be employed to summon binding roots onto a foe for escape, or to harness its raw energy to subdue them.

Further study in this field is needed for an adequate survey of natural magic; perhaps in the future I will have an opportunity to observe this subject in more depth.

That is the extent of my knowledge on these subjects. In the future I hope to obtain further insight, but I cannot say that it reaches my highest priority.

With this brief overview of magic complete we will move forward onto the true purpose of this ledger shortly.

Spoiler:
I've attempted to post the next part of this, but it seems that when I attempt to it sandwiches it into this post. I suppose I'll wait a bit and try again.
Page 7: The Art of Arguments

As we move on into the true direction of this ledger, I feel it a necessity to include this as a forward.

In my time as a scientist I have become no stranger in the slightest to criticism. Indeed, from my time in the academies to the present, I have have without fail been presented with differing opinions regarding my bodies of work.

And that's completely acceptable.

It should always be recalled that in scientific endeavors no one man is infallible. The scientist's duty is to discover and theorize, but it is also to step away and regard his work with scrutiny as well. His job is to defend his work rationally, but not fanatically. In order to properly begin this book I have decided to write a small guide, of sorts, for those of you who will be sending me your criticism upon the release of this ledger.

A. H. Silverlight- 'The Weak Link- Fallacies' Wrote:
  • Against the Person- By this argument the arguing party concludes their victory over a perceived superiority to his opponent; this is a method that centers around blatant attacks on the opposing debate, often resulting to wholly irrelevant information. For example 'would you take that human's word over an elf's? He's only a young boy compared to him'! Or, 'my opponent is in fact a rogue by trade, and thus should have no right speaking about matters regarding morality'.

Appeal to Emotion- Forming an argument which is intended to rouse feelings of guilt, fear, anger, etc. In a crowd. Usually brought when debating an ethical matter, or the guilt or innocence of a person. A good example of this fallacy is whenever the words 'for the children' are brought into play.

Appeal to Ignorance- A claim that because one cannot soundly disprove an argument, then it must be true. Advocates of this line of thinking commonly follow the dual-sided claim that an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, though such a statement does little to further their statements. A common appeal to ignorance may manifest itself in such a way as

Argument from Authority- The argument from authority is always a dangerous position to hold. It is a sign of fanaticism, epitomizing the blind follower; to argue from authority is to proclaim a statement correct, simply because it comes from a person of higher standing. In this way tyrants rise, allowing themselves to rule unimpeded by their passive subjects. The typical argument from authority will manifest in such a way as 'Kael'thas is our leader by his royal right; he can lead our people to prosperity'!

But was the prince truly a trustworthy monarch? Were his plans for Silvermoon truly what was in the best interest of the people? Following this line of logic is dangerous, yet it is well-trodden ground for many nations.

Argument from Consequences- This is a fallacy which centers upon the idea that a person's side of an argument must be accepted, because the consequences otherwise would be unthinkable; for instance 'we must pray dutifully unto the Light, for without its tenets our society would be devoid of morality.' This fallacy appears commonly in superstition as well, as shown in 'we must bury the dead with proper rites and rituals, or we will bring bad luck.'

But does a society without the Light truly have no morality? Is the burial of bodies outside of trollish tradition truly enough to bring upon 'bad luck'? Such results are subjective, and there is no true way to prove that they are true.

Begging the Question- Or assuming the answer. This is to assume the answer to a question, typically in favor of your own line of reasoning. 'Wearing red armor is imposing, and deters bandits' but is there any actual independent evidence that this alone deters thieves? 'We should execute all criminals, as it will deter others from committing crimes.' But does this actually cause the rate of criminal activity to fall?

Correlation does not imply Causation- Or ignoring common cause. 'Typically, the more doctors treating an illness, the more deadly a disease is observed to be. Thus, doctors cause disease'. In this argument the debating party has observed a correlation between a cause and effect, but the cause they state is wholly removed from the matter at hand. More doctors do not lead to deadlier diseases; deadlier diseases simply require more doctors on hand. The order of what caused the other is key here. A less ridiculous statement may read as;

'Temperature is observed to rise alongside increased pressure. Therefore, high pressure leads to high temperature.'

In this case there is not a confusion of order- these changes are not dependent upon one another, but happen at the same time. Technically speaking, one would cause the other to rise and vice-versa.

False Dichotomy- 'If you are not with us, you are against us' sums up this fallacy. There is no middle ground in arguments presented in the this scenario; matters are black and white, one decision or another. Commonly, the false dichotomy arrives when speaking in matters of morality:

'You're either in support of you're nation, or you're a traitor'

'You're either a pacifist or you support murder'

Could one not be in disagreement with policies of a nation, but still hold allegiance to it? Could one not support warfare for a just cause? False dichotomy disregards these options, and instead favors you to choose one or the other- both usually extreme, and at times both unfavorable.

Inconsistency- A gap in logical action, based on previous action. Inconsistencies often arise in regards to politics- while the Horde's treatment of prisoners in Northrend is decried (placed amongst the hogs to reside), the same Alliance official will remain silent upon their internment of the Orcs. While a Goblin may call Gnomish engineering shoddy and prone to malfunction, they are conspicuously silent about their own catastrophic 'malfunctions'. Inconsistency is simply the omission of one's own errors when regarding those of another.

Meaningless Question- An inquiry that cannot serve a purpose whatsoever. 'How high is up?' Or, 'is everything possible?'; Up is a direction, and for everything to be possible would mean that an impossibility would be possible. These questions largely serve to waste time, or instill a sense of intelligence to the simple-minded.

Misunderstanding of Statistics- Similar to the confusion with causation, manipulation of the nature of statistics can prove some interesting claims.

'A study shows that a large amount of people die in a doctor's clinic, thus you should avoid seeking medical aid.'

Non Sequitur- A conclusion that does not follow logical evidence; a matter supported by either weak or irrelevant information. 'Sure, disarming the outposts in contested territory is a risk, but riding a gryphon is a risk. If you're willing to travel by air, you should be willing to disarm.'

Another is 'if this man was a murderer, there would be blood upon his hands. We see no blood, thus, he must be innocent', but could the blood not have been concealed?

Observational Selection- Displaying only the favorable facts towards your argument.

'All those who follow the Light were cured of the malady, thus the Light is the true path!'

Reinvention of Language- The 're-engineering' of language is a purely deceptive fallacy; it is nothing but a mask for a more odious word, and is one of the greatest weapons in the arsenal of the government official. We are not seeking to steal from an ancient civilization, we are seeking to 'document the past.' Instead of forging a pact with demonic entities, Kael'thas was only 'acting in the interests of his people.'

Short vs Long-term- The resulting fallacy when an argument proposes that a diversion from the average will inevitably occur in the long run. Known as the 'gambler's fallacy', as a gambler often theorizes that though he may be unlucky in most gambles, inevitably he will win at least once if he continues trying.

Slippery Slope- 'If X is allowed to happen, then Y will be short behind'. This is an argument that assumes the consequences of an action, usually forewarning a radical occurrence as the result of the opposing argument's success.

'If warlocks are allowed to run free in our city, then it will be a short time before we will see necromancers alongside them!'

Special Pleading- 'You don't understand the working of our gods, thus you cannot argue against them'. Special pleading usually manifests when an argument is in deep rhetorical issues- instead of arguing the merits of a debate, it is inferred that the opponent simply lacks the qualifications to pass adequately informed judgement upon the debate.

Statistics of Small Numbers- A survey claims that half of the populous of Silvermoon is magically inclined. 'I know plenty of fellow Sin'dorei' claims a Farstrider 'and barely any of them fit that description!'

This is also part of confusing statistics; the statistics may be correct, but from the personal viewpoint (a ranger, surrounded by other rangers), this rings false.

Straw Man- This is a furthered concept of 'to the man'. Instead of simply attacking a proponent of a debate, the straw man is when one presents either a theoretical or actual proponent to an argument, presenting only the negative aspects of the argument held by the 'straw man', creating a misrepresentation for the listener.

For example, 'this politician supports lower funding on the military. Could you believe he wants us to be defenseless like that?'

Suppressed Evidence- This is defined as intentionally disregarding a relevant factor of an argument, usually a factor which is not in the user's favor. Perhaps the arguer does not mention that experts have disagreed to his unprofessional conclusion, or that there is an alternate motive to the supporting party.

'Purchasing our wares from this merchant was a sound decision. They are of high quality, and are promptly delivered!' But, suppose that this statement is made by the brother of the merchant, and he is receiving a cut of the money gained. In this case he has misled his allies into his own benefit.

Knowing the errors of an opposing force is hardly the only thing worth speaking of, as long as we discuss this topic. Perhaps then it is time to turn the other cheek towards strengthening an argument; after all, I should like to think that those other than my critics have picked this book up for their own purposes.

Let us then pursue another vein of thought;

A. H. Silverlight- 'Proving Grounds' Wrote:The following are prescribed tactics when dealing with debate- by using these you strengthen your own hypothesis, and improve upon it.
  • When presenting a hypothesis, ask whether the hypothesis may be falsified or not. Untestable and unfalsifiable declarations prove little- this is the realm of science, not theology.

Present data from controlled experiments. Always be sure that the data from your work can be displayed alongside an undisturbed set of information so that conclusions may be reached- is your hypothesis different from what is already observed in nature? If so, how extreme is the variation?

Remember that when dealing with an argument following a sequence of any kind, every link of this chain of arguments must follow in suit with one another-- including the base premise. A chain with a link missing will drop its load.

Speaking of the chain of arguments, each link of the chain must have its own independent confirmation. Not only must all the links fit together, but they all must have their own backing. To continue the metaphor of the chain, each link must have its strength tested accordingly; a weak link is in the long run as good a support as a missing one.

Mimir's Razor- Do not overly complicate the solution to a problem. In many ways, simple answers are more acceptable than a convoluted one. One could state his occupation, his hobbies, and all his perceived titles when asked 'who are you?', but he may as well say his name. It is vain to make with more components what could more easily be made with fewer. Or, more is sometimes less.

When faced with a hypothesis to test, always seek to present multiple hypothesis. Seek different ways to test the hypothesis, and allow the process of elimination to take hold- the theory which survives your objective testing is the stronger argument to present to your peers.

Quantify the results in your hypothesis wherever you find possible-- if there are competing hypothesis, you are better able to identify your own out from the crowd if you do so. If you have a hypothesis which is vague yet high in quality, there are many approaches which could be taken- make sure your method defines its path to the result, and not just your end findings.

While sometimes difficult, it is the task of the scientist to remove attachment from a single hypothesis, no matter how important the finding may be to them. Be open to other possibilities; just because you favor one solution does not make it any more correct than if you were to find it in a negative light. Keep an objective and unbiased view and you are more likely to reach the correct conclusion.

When dealing with an issue in previously charted fields, it is your duty to encourage substantive debate over your hypothesis; seek flaws in it from the experts of the field, and do not shield it behind yourself until it is time to present your work. While it may be difficult to place your work before the experts of a field, always remember when in this realm of science that we are only mortal, and everyone is subject to failure at some point or another. To be correct most of the time is achievable, but to be correct all of the time is nothing short of godlike.

I believe we've covered enough in this subject for the moment. In my next entry I will begin my first study for this ledger's documentation. I hope that these selections have proved insightful to some of you, and I look forward to receiving more critiques from those of you who have ignored this section.

Thank you for warming my fireplace with your letters in advance.

Page 8: Musings

It may be considered peculiar to write these sparse collections of thoughts together in a book intended to be published for release to the public. Indeed, this page shall not contain anything quite overly scientific. Instead of any true experimentation I have instead been absorbed in though for the last few days, in fact. If you are not of the mind to listen to my inane ramblings then by all means I would urge you to simply move ahead a page. I'll assure you that you will miss nothing of interest.

I have recalled lately back to my days before the reform of Silvermoon-- in my youth, especially. I recalled the great mages who I aspired to back then had illustrious titles; not a just mage, but instead a hydromancer. Hardly a fire mage, no-- a pyromancer.

They were, of course, only reinventing the significance of such a word for their own interest. Today I know clearly that such titles are as easily applied to any practitioner of a specific element, hardly a title worthy of grand prestige such as what an archmage commands. I recall being awed by their mastery as a young boy, though. As I grew older and came to study more magic, though, my reverence grew into something more of disappointment. They were grand words, to be sure, but in essence it was pride in a limitation. Perhaps a pyromancer wielded potent magic indeed, but was he truly as great as a mage who had mastered both fire and ice? He was perhaps more dedicated to his field, but the other mage had traded his larger power for a flexibility and, in doing so, became of more use than his counterpart. Versatility is what breeds true power, because that true power is that which allows us to survive. A mage of fire shall traverse the frozen lands of Winterspring perhaps, bringing the element of frost under subjugation by his great power, and a mage of ice may travel across the Burning Steppes, wielding a power of elemental destruction unknown to any resident of the region.

But can these two change places? Can a pyromancer hold his ground in a land which has embraced his element so well? No, he cannot. While these two may tread ground well constrained by their powers, they are limited to where their feet may bring them. This is not so, for a mage of versatlity.

I recall once more-- not so farther back this time-- that when amongst the elves holding allegiance to the prince I heard of his astromancers. I was deeply intrigued. Whereas other mages claimed one domain, these apparently reached much farther. Power over fire, ice, and arcane was fine indeed, but a grasp upon space itself? It sounded too good to be true.

And, as I came to discover, it was. The astromancers were hardly of significance; they were little more than pyromancers, truth be told. They were skilled, as were any amongst the prince's ranks at the time, but their powers were surely less than they described themselves.

While I was disappointed with the so called astromancers, their connotation was left within me. It was a truly novel idea- not to merely seek to control an element, but space around us as well. Already there are scattered attempts at doing so, with priests mastering an art of levitation, and a magi and their ability to blink and warp through the fabric of space to their destinations across the scape of the world.

A truly novel idea, though perhaps not fully recognized. I always wondered to myself, dear reader, if this was something that could ever reach fruition.

So far, that answer has been a resounding 'no'. Countless times I have searched through my books of magic theory, and several times I have found nothing but either lack of interest or lack of ability. It is a disheartening but not altogether unenlightening experience to see your desires dis-proven. I consider every setback my research has unturned not as a stone pelted upon my ideas, but merely a stepping stone in search of the truth. Whether that truth is satisfactory is not relevant-- even a man of facts and realism is allowed to escape in dreams of the impossible, after all. As I recline against the wall of the Silvermoon bazaar once more this night perhaps my dreams shall grant me a better vision of my ideas; perhaps, though, they may not.

I leave you for now once more, reader.

Page 9: Bending the Rules

It is inevitable when viewing the course of every sentient race to not garner one common fact about us all; we, as a whole, are troublemakers.

Far beyond our own rules and regulations are laws of a greater importance; laws not of man, but of reality itself. They seem simple to us, but that is because we by default obey them, and indeed some of us give them not a thought in the world. It is an instance of irony, then, that some of the greatest statements of science are proclaimed over what is by all accounts an everyday occurrence, and nothing more than the faintest ripple in our daily lives.

Indeed, the universe itself is in a way organized into rules and methodologies, all working together at the most minute level of precision to bring us the day, the night, the tides, the stars, and we even must give the occasional thanks that these laws work for the most basic of things, such as not sending us floating off into the nether.

Like any source of authority though, we feel an urge now and then to rebel. In this instance I shall propose to take gravity for my example; a force of nature which tethers us to the ground and gives us our measure of weight. Should we detach ourselves from this law entirely perhaps we would simply rise up into the heavens, never to be seen again-- a rather boring fate, to be sure. If we are to simply bend this rule, though, we observe something that the casual commuter sees every day amongst the many avian creatures such as the hawk, or gryphon. Flight itself is a defiance of gravity, and in most cases is achieved purely through physical design. Birds mostly have their wingspan and bones to thank for that, combined with a relatively smaller weight. The physical is perhaps something we cannot alter (or indeed, would wish not to alter, lest we find ourselves bearing witness to a chimeric creature of man and bird.), though, so let us move to the more viable method.

Magic, unlike the physical restraints of the engineer, does not have to worry with rockets which burn the body, or great crafts which take weeks of labor to construct. A spell is much more instantaneous, but it does suffer for its convenience. Shall we propose to bend our acceptance of gravity a bit less we have levitation, a spell already familiar to us through the repertoire of a priest. Levitation is hardly a spell of amazing worth, though it has situational utility. While it is by no means on par with true flight as that of a bird or machine can master, is a defiance of law. Gravity seeks to pull the caster down, but there is enough resistance to break free from its grasp and stride atop the air or water.

Levitation, though, is not a spell of great use any longer. In the past (the Third War, as it would be most recent) levitation was a luxury to the spell weaver on the field of action. It allowed less fatigue and concern for the terrain beneath them, and put less physical strain from distance traveled. The ability to break away from the earth below freed their thoughts to concentrate on more pressing matters-- such as casting slow on an incoming orcish grunt with the intent to viciously mangle them.

Which brings us to another dilution of the laws; slow and haste oriented spells. While the latter sees significantly less use the spell of slow is one commonly trained by most masters of the arcane schools of magic. Like many spells though there are multiple permutations of it-- a foe may be slowed by simply restricting his movement, or actually magnifying a perceived weight to cause him to become burdened by even the slightest advances. By use of weight the caster augments gravity to their advantage, increasing the effect of it upon a foe. Such ability is of course unnatural, and an aberration to common standards of physics. How can gravity or time affect one person differently than another, after all?

There is a vast expanse of possible options, if one were to delve further in this line of thought. The school of transmutation in and of itself manipulates the world to create, transform, and project an array of different objects as the spell caster sees fit. Beyond magic there is yet more; engineers in years past have come to develop technology on par with magical effects, albeit much more dangerous. In the end it is obvious; the rules of the world exist, but they are rules we can touch upon ourselves. They are rules we may bend and shape to our desires, and ultimately perhaps overcome.

We are the denizens of the universe, and we are restless; ever rebelling, ever pushing the limit. The goal is to push, to run forward into the unknown and stop as near to the precipice of disaster as we can.