Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: How different/similar are your RP toons?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if a post like this was made before. If it has, feel free to delete it.

I had a discussion yesterday with a couple RPers OOCly about how they have some characters they essentially based on themselves, and then I read some posts from the departed ones here how they grew tired/bored of RPing characters they based on themselves as well. I understand why some people would do it, but the concept of it being fun is hardly also shared. I don't want my characters to be anything like me as a whole.

I can fairly say that most of my characters, either in RP or in original works, have one or two or a handful of my own traits... and they tend to be ones with the least focus. The only time they do become focus is if it's a very definable trait that can be exploited for story or at least humor. For instance, Kapre is a derp. I'm a derp. Thus, you tend to see a derp quite often, IC and OOC.

In general, I tend to avoid making any of my RP characters heavily similar to myself, for the reason that the purpose of role-play, for me, is to take on roles that I wouldn't in real life, regardless of setting[i].[/i] This is actually why I highly prefer male characters over female--I get to be in the shoes of a man. Female characters are largely boring for me, though granted the number of toons I have in either WoW server I play, that will definitely change soon.

I'd like to see how you characterize your toons and how similar/different they are. Although Kapre is my current main toon here, I have others whom I characterized in the PVP server where I RP with just my friends. These are what I have:

KAPRE: He is similar that we're both fairly derpy in everyday life, are friendly towards everyone regardless of our social history, and want to make a living making people happy with their personal lives (I'm a psychology major aiming for a career in clinical/counselling). We're different, however, in that Kapre is much more habitually formal and polite, outgoing, and impulsively careless with his own safety. I'm much more of an introvert, people think I'm rude whenever I open my mouth, and I practice caution with my safety... most of the time, at least. I am told to be fairly eloquent (how I RP Kapre), but I don't believe them.

DIAWATA: Kapre's sister, primarily my PVP main. We're similar in that we're impatient, would like to see the most exciting parts of life, and are in love with a man who wants to wants to the see the best of me grow (he RPs/plays as Diawata's boyfriend as well). We're very different, however, in that Diawata is vain, shallow, and vapid, can be very hostile towards people of different social groups (the Horde, in this case), and is more than happy to hunt people down for any particular wrong. And, of course, she's actually pretty LOL.

ADELIE: Named "Atelee" in the PVP server, a name I would regret giving her. The only similarity we share is that we're dark-skinned human girls. Everything else is different, however: she's an extreme ditz (even moreso than Kapre), is rather slutty, and can sew beautiful clothes. I envy her tailoring abilities and the fact she can look good with red hair.

PULLA: Originally a death knight gnome named Azzurra in the PVP server, now a renamed warrior here in COTH. We share no similarities except we're both very rational and thoughtful people. However, Pulla has a hair-trigger temper where she could kill you if she wanted to.

AZULNANGIPIN: Horde main in PVP (troll huntress), but I will not bring her here in COTH because she needs my boyfriend to be around (and he refuses to come here). Similar in that we're thoughtful and mild-mannered and even matronly to some people, but very different in that she... still wants to eat people. Including Tauren.

KAWALA: Already tried RPing her here in COTH but it wasn't a really good RP session in that I didn't really play her character well (that, and I'm still learning orc lore). Similar in that we're anxious around new situations in real life, but different in that she can still kick anyone's arse.

CALDERETO: RP tauren male, who may be a counterpart to Kapre. He shares more similarities with Kapre than with me except Cal is much more wild and lustful towards other races.

Now your turn! Feel free to be detailed about your similarities and differences, because I hope to get to know you and your characters more! :)
I, for one, don't really base characters off of myself, instead off of people that I know. If they have attributes like me, then it's probably unintentional.

Shivala - Shivala is quite an interesting character. Originally, she was based off my sister. Bitchy, over-pushing, competitive and eager to please her parents. However, the one thing that wasn't the same was her racism, and this turned out to be her most defining attitude. This turned her into an emotionless b***h, and the only thing she really kept was the bitchy part.

Bragdana - Bragdana was mainly based off myself, actually. He's a joking soul, usually unable to take things seriously.
Alright I'll give it ago.

Lohtao Silverplains: We are both mild mannered and overly friendly, as I am in real life. His father was killed which I think I base off the fact that I don't know my own. I really don't mean to do that, I just thought the death of a father makes for a good backstory.

Terry Forester: Represents my witty and sarcastic side. He lives out everything I wish I could be. A life on the sea with nonstop adventure. He too has a father who was killed off like Lohtao.

Carrie Fernandez: She is not on this server but her demeanor is similar to that of Lohtao's. Quiet and mild mannered although Lohtao is a bit more strong willed than her. She almost crumbles at the sign of overwhelming conflict. I'm pretty different from that, I acknowledge most negativity with Terry's sarcasm and wit.
*Cracks knuckles*

Krilari Dawnsend
Spoiler:
Being my namesake, Krilari is probably the closest character that resembles myself. He shares that fact that we're both kind in general, and that neither of us have much of a self-confidence. (I say kind through gritted teeth, I'm not sure if I am or not >.>) We also share the interest in Blacksmithing (Although Krilari is a mastersmith while I've never picked up a smith's hammer before). One joke surrounding Krilari is that he 'enjoys' the appearance of draenei female, which is a joke from my retail guild made about myself.

Mathias Summers
Spoiler:
Surprisingly enough, Mathias shares my formality in most situations. Granted I don't go around in a tux and monocle, but I generally refer to people in terms most wont. (Such as 'sir' 'ma'm', ect.)

Duron Bloodaxe
Spoiler:
Probably can be called when I get angry in that he's pretty quick to be judgmental and will be the last to give you any leeway when you f@%k up.

S'all for now. Don't think you'd want me to go over all 30 characters to try to find similarities.
Andarun

We're both interested in drinking, but I rarely drink more than a bottle of beer, and usually go for the non-alcoholic ones, somewhat stealthy and we're both midgets. Different because he's entirely impulsive and leaves nothing to thought.

Roddrick

He brings my old man out, we're both utterly rational and rather cautious. Difference being his old manness, while I am not an old man.

Alarios

We're both fairly pacifistic and nice to people, caring, and will scold your fail. However, he protects plantlife with extreme vigor, I, on the other hand, wouldn't mind an entire forest being chopped down.

Azul'won

We're both curious little bastards, love to annoy people to no end, and are pious in different ways. You'll never see him praying, but he has a crapton of symbols on himself, much like me.
I try to keep my character personalities separate, as seen in my Feedback Thread (yes, the link means that all who have RP'd with me must post in it)

Safksha - I wanted to play a night elf so badly after this trailer:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNBWgMpSCU0[/youtube]
He ended up being one of the most constantly changing characters in my repertoire, partly due to his classhop, partly due to his submissive personality. I myself am like him in that I tend to agree with everyone to avoid arguments. >> I'm man enough to admit my own faults.

Richtnel - He came to me from Ian Holm's Jack the Ripper in the movie From Hell, but this was only the core idea (Gentleman Killer.) He became a character all his own, soon enough. He embodies my Gentlemanly features and use of flowing words when I speak.

Jezzan - Jezzan is unknown. Even I don't remember how I thought him up. Nonetheless, he is undoubtedly the one to bring out the troll in me. He is a troll, both literally and interwebally.

Pops - First got him from Gandalf (Gray,) but he matured into a grumpy old fart with a tragic past. He's a character all his own, as I can't find anything about him that matches me.

Gregg - Since i'm generally a happy person, Gregg embodies my joviality and thump-on-the-back cheer, as well as my tendency to sing when i've had too much.

That's about it.
Coriv - He tends to be rather impulsive, and has that "the grass is greener on the other side" mindset that I tend to have to times. He has a habbit of becoming obsessed with doing X task, and while I'm rather lazy, if I find something that I'm very interested/intrigued about, I try and try and try, untill I just /rage. He's rather light at heart, and doesn't tend to take much seriously - unless if you hurt his sister. I have a rather strong bond with my little sister aswell, and I'd die for her. Coriv wouldn't necessarily die for his sister though(seeing as he is pissed at her atm), but if she died again, he'd probably turn nuts.

Eastlance - My very lawful knight. He is actually mildly based upon one of my friend's who tends to be very lawful. He's that kinda guy who wouldn't cross the street if the traffic lights were red, even though there were no cars miles away. I find it quite entertaining, the whole "law before logic" thing, and I adapted it to Eastlance. He's also midly based off "Raymon" from that movie, with his very strict pickle dinner that he gotta eat exactly 6 PM.

Uloup - Batshizzle crazy, this is me when I go into my brother's room and imitate creepy voices, with creepy speeches. This is when I really feel random.

Brog - Even though he's an orc, he got some traits that I have. His kindness towards strangers, empathy, but also I do have a bad habbit of having prejudices to times.
Hebry Runetouch
The character, which is the closest and furthest from me. I based him on myself, or actually... on what I strive to be. We're both independent, nihilists, we lack the ability to follow orders and we don't give a **** about government and authority. He's impulsive and really picky about his friends. He also stands behind each of his words and never (lemme say it again - never... and once more, just to be sure - never) apologizes. Also, his principles are something he never neglects (Lily can confirm this). And these are the traits I share with him.

On the other hand - he has self-confidence, looks good, has the unique ability to switch girls like handkerchiefs, has sick tattoos and is quite bulky. Those are the traits I want and try to achieve.

Kobe Lionmane
He's nothing like me. He's strong, altruistic, shallow-minded, doesn't drink much, doesn't smoke, treats everyone with the respect they deserve and has no lustful thoughts to any lady, but his current girlfriend. The guy is an idiot and I keep telling him that (yeah, I talk to my characters, my dog, myself, etc... some doctors say it's healthy for the mental stability of the individual *shrug*).

The rest of my characters are not Humans, even, and they are way too laid back, calm and thoughtful... which makes them totally opposite to me.
I seem to've divided my personality up between three accounts' worth of characters.
(Well, three accounts and one from a fourth.)

I'm not sure I believe that I can fully play someone other than myself. Even if I took all my viewpoints and played the devil's advocate with their opposites, I'd still be adopting those doctrines from my perspective.
Ural
Not much really like me currently, but rather view him as a path I could of went down in life. For example I am pretty good with a blacksmithing hammer from taking Horseshoeing courses in college, but it never took off. I see Ural as that tough guy that I could never be, cause I'm a softie.

Relijord
He is based off of one of my closest friends, and thus we both share a fair number of qualities, including our faith.

Dazehl
Daz and I share our sense of commitment to the country we love. We hate those who live in the country, but burns its own flag.

Irogh
We share our love for animals. I went to college for horses, have two cats, an iguana, two big dogs, and long for the day when I get some mules for my back yard.:D

Guess there's more similarities than I first realized. Food for thought if I make a new character.
Hrm.

Tzekel

Spoiler:
Well... for starters, Tzekel and I share that we generally don't dislike people unless they've done something to me, my friends, or some disgusting crime. We're less academic and more practical. But overall we're still very different. Though he can get along with many he meets, he's still got a pretty big ego. And... I don't eat people. Where I prefer to consider my options, Tzekel just looks forward and charges through without really attempting to see the big picture. He prefers to live in the moment, and Tzekel's incredibly independant. Friends are nice, but he's very capable of surviving on his own. His resolve his hard to shake, and he can be -very- stubborn and determined at times.

Draknir

Spoiler:
Though I'm a laid back person and generally someone who enjoys making people laugh, I can easily know when to be serious, and if any of my characters represent it, it's likely to be Draknir. He can unwind well enough, but when it comes to show time, he can rarely have a joke and we recognise when something simply has to be done (though that doesn't mean I can bite the bullet and do it, but Draknir can). We can sometimes lose our cool but within a group, we value friends and look out for other people with hopes they do the same. Draknir's more confident than I am, but even when I can get a really good week (or heck, even a month) where everything goes fine and I feel great about myself, just one or two misfortunes can instantly shatter it, and Draknir's the same.

Mokaku

Spoiler:
Oh man, where do I begin? Mokaku's nearly everything I'm not. He's strong, wealthy, successful, handsome, courageous, near-fearless, racist, confident... the list could go on, really. Where he likes attending brothels and getting completely wasted in wild parties, I'm scared of even going out to the pub. He's a Gladiator so he naturally likes fighting. I can't fight. Though he also shares my hatred of Blood Elves, and during his off time, he likes having a laugh. But for the most part, I can confidently say Mokaku is very different from myself and he'd consider me a whelp.

Therodore

Spoiler:
I did sort of base him on myself originally, however some things are exaggerated whilst others are made up. Both Therodore and I share a trait that we're generally nervous when meeting new people, particularly around women. Though he stutters a lot more than I do. We're both pretty mellow, timid, and he lets out my more comical side. We prefer the easier way out if it can be done and enjoy being outside. He's also rather lazy, and if both of us tried putting in more effort we'd probably be much more successful. He's capable of being independant but relies on others more than himself. He has little confidence like I do.