Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: A question of mind control.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do shadow priests use mind control in terms of RP? Are there any rules set that limit this?
You have to make sure with the person beforehand that it will be okay to take control of their character. That being said, unless you're a ridiculously strong Shadow Priest (IE, Shadow Ascendent strong) it's my personal opinion and not the opinion of the Conquest of the Horde GM team nor Administrators that you should lose all control of your own character while being in control of another entity. It's hard enough controlling your own functions at times, much less those of two individuals in the same moment. Especially if you're fighting.

Unless of course you use a lesser sort of spell involving trying to press your general thoughts or feelings on someone, but once again that requires a strong priest and the willingness of the participant.
The way I've handled it in the past was it having a few stages, that progressed rapidly.

First off, you try breaking into the target's mind(If they're unwilling).

After you succeed, you have access to surface thoughts, minor movements and basic sensory input.

After that - and I've always believed it takes a fair bit of focus - you have full access to their memory, feelings, thoughts, and movements, but still only receive basic sensory input -if- you're doing other things at the same time. You can sacrifice your own mobility to get more sensory info' from them, I'd think, but that's not a good idea in combat, when you just want to puppet your pet meat shield.

That's active mind control for ya'. But, honestly, the passive sort(Suggesting things. A la Jedi Mind Tricks) is far better. Making someone believe something is much easier and can be done in combat with ease.
'I am not your enemy' and the like.

And, of course, anything of the sort -MUST- be okay with the person you're doing it to OOC-ly.
Well, theoretically, the most combat-effective one would be to simply scramble one's opponent's mind. Literally, replace all labels of who their allies are with those you wish to be their allies. That's the more long-term version of "The enemy is not the enemy, but the friend," type deal, as only another Priest could repair the memories and re-convince them that the guys they used to fight with, are still the good guys.

On topic, mind control in combat is very difficult, especially for anything more than basic motor skills (i.e: walking). If you want to force someone to change sides in combat, use the mind trick flammos mentioned, then subjugate it afterward with a permanent memory change for a lasting effect. HOWEVER, make -100%- sure the person is OOCly okay with it.
And here I thought Muhaha posting here meant he was trying to take over the world again.

Carry on.
Well I had planned on changing my now warlock into a shadow priest and wanted to know how it would effect RP (because on paper it looks wayyyy OP). Any time I used it would be out of combat, and from what you guys are saying it seems like as long as the person is okay with X, Y, or Z OOC then you are free to do whatever with it.
Mind Control is very much a temporary thing. Also, if you're using it, you're not controlling your OWN body. Essentially, it's putting your consciousness into someone else's body, and then using that to suppress their brain temporarily and move around. Controlling two bodies at once is a task too complex for most priests.

Long-term mind-screwery is really not something that happens often, and certainly not without the other player's consent.
(06-10-2011, 05:03 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: [ -> ]Mind Control is very much a temporary thing. Also, if you're using it, you're not controlling your OWN body.

What would you say is the "range" that you can use mind control?