Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Path of the Righteous
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This story details the descent into what some might call madness of a certain bald Paladin. Any feedback, comments or ideas you might have I ask that you send me through PM.

[Image: Book.jpg]

Path of the Righteous

Chapter 1: Revelations

Today was the most incredible day of my life. Today was the day my life changed completely. I feel like this is the beginning of a new journey and as such I shall document it. Not only for me, but for you as well. This book contains truths we must all learn if we want to truly serve the Light.

It spoke to me. In my hour of need It guided me. The Light, the force of all that is good and pure, spoke to me, me of all people! I could feel it's divine grace flowing through my body, guiding my hand, reading my thoughts. It was glorious. But I am skipping ahead, I should tell this tale from the beginning so that none of it's glory is lost.

It started as a day like any other here in the Plaguelands. Me and my battalion were headed towards an old abandoned town, to cleanse it from the foul undead taint that haunted these lands.

We should've known something was amiss when the town looked surprisingly empty. The few undead that we slayed in the town center were hardly the numbers we expected. So we split up in pairs of two, to search the rest of the town for more of the foul undead. I was paired up with another Paladin, brother Bernard, a man of good faith. But as we would learn soon enough, his faith was not sufficient enough for the trap that awaited us. We were blinded by our arrogance, we thought we could solve this matter quickly and head back to camp.

The moment we stepped into the inn we were ambushed, a dozen of skeletons came through the roof and jumped us, from the kitchen a dozen more charged us and we were caught off guard. In mere moments we were swarmed by the damned things, completely surrounded in the small main hall of the inn. Brother Bernard walked in front of me so he took most of the initial blows, though his faith was strong it was not strong enough and he fell.

We had cut down almost half of them by this time but only one moment of doubt, only one moment of hesitation was needed for the undead to tear him apart. It was at this time that I to began to get tired and I began to doubt. I doubted myself and I doubted my faith. I could already see my own death and I am sure the vision would've been rather accurate were it not for the divine intervention of the Light.

As I stood there, panting with my shield raised in one hand and my blade in the other, completely surrounded by the undead, it happened. It was a feeling unlike any other, I felt like every fiber of my being was being filled by new strength. The feeling was so magnificent, so wonderful, so glorious that I am sure it could've only been the Light, filling my soul with It's divine power. I could hear It in my thoughts as It took over my body and guided me. I remember It's words very clearly.

“Doubt is the worst enemy of the Faithful. Doubt takes away from your faith and will make you falter.”

Before I knew it, all the foul skeletons lay dead at my feet. The Light had guided my hand to slay them all, and It had done so with unsurprising ease. As I felt the Light's grace dissipating from my body It revealed another wisdom to me.

“As long as your faith is strong, I shall watch over you and guide your blade to cull the wicked from the truly faithful.”

With my new found wisdom I gazed upon Brother Bernard's bloody corpse and felt no pity. It was obvious to me that his faith had not been strong enough, the Light did not find him to be as worthy of divine intervention as it had found me.

I left his corpse in that town and did not bother to search for the others. If they were truly faithful, the Light would protect them as it had protected me. I returned to the camp as the only survivor of my battalion. I could answer the question of the Commander with relative ease but there are still questions going through my head that I can not answer.

Was I the only true faithful there? Are the men and women in the camp truly faithful? Are there even any others like me, that were worthy of such an intervention?

I must find out more, I shall reflect on the Light's wisdom and try to understand the deeper meaning of today.

“Unbreakable faith is a blessing few receive. Though it's merits are unquestionable, the path towards unbreakable faith must be filled with hardship. The path of the truly faithful is not laid out for everyone.”