Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Laptop overheat problem.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I just made a few tests, and notice that no matter what is the graphic level IG, my laptop goes on overheat after only 30 minutes, and after 1 hour and 30 mins, it generally turn off due to this overheat.

This is the only game doing this to my computer, and I would like to know if anybody would have an idea maybe to restrict the power usage of my comp with that game or such?
I don't know if this will help you, but it helped me when I had a similar problem.

What I did was completed a full restore to factory settings on my laptop. It turns out, over the years, I accumulated a -lot- of junk that wanted to run in the background all the time and take up power, so the computer was running WoW -and- however many other programs. You might want to look into doing something similar.
My laptop does the same, but it throttles down around every 5 minutes or so. In-game this looks like serious lag, going down to 7-9 frames per second from around 20. I have a chill mat, which I would suggest to you Herastean, but I still have issues with my computer running other crap in the background.

First thing I would check is your virus software and make sure it updates/scans at night. They can be pesky.
A full restore would be very complicated to me, I have a plenty of different files that are to be conserved and will be long to reinstall, that would be my last option, even more as the last time I launched one, I had problems.
Still, I'll try to check up myself for unused files/games/programms and clean up this, also, I'll clean my temporary files.

A chill mat? Why not? After all, it will be usefull, and might help a little to cold it down, I'll keep an eye around for it.

If anybody else experienced this kind of problems or have an other solution, I'm still paying attention!

And thanks to both of you already for your advices.
Have you considered opening it up and cleaning it?

Dust accumulates over years.
If I open it my garantee will be gone logicly, so I don't prefer to do it.
Then attempt to clean it without opening it.

Chances are your fan's being clogged up. Get another fan to blow some air in there.
Dip it in water. No, srsly, though. See if you can get these cans of. . .Dammit, I forget the name. They're often used for cleaning computers. Somebody else can probably fill in the name of it.
I opened my laptop is a soft way so that my guarantee won't fly away logicly, there wasn't that much dust in it, but at least, its a bit cleaner. But no, still overheat problems quite fast. I think that I'll have to work up on some stupid system with ice pans! ^^
Have you checked the battery settings?
Every laptop I ever saw had overheat problems.
(06-26-2011, 06:23 PM)Xigo Wrote: [ -> ]Have you checked the battery settings?

I'll give a try to the game on "Power saver" thingy, to see if it could actually make the heat a bit less important than actually, but I have an old desktop at the house and I believe that its time to me to get back on as anyway I'm not able to play more than an hour without a 5 minutes with computer off.