Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Retired Ambition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Light started to fill all of Nagrand. The rays wrapped around the land, basking it all, from the soil to the sky, with sunshine.

And it was to the light that Sagi awakened, eyes peeling open, taking in the world. At first he only saw the blinding light in his eyes, but then things came into focus. The green grass underneath his body. The tree to his back, soft bark to rest on. And the chains around his arms and legs. Chains whose chilling metal grip became warmed by the light. Then finally, he saw a a draenei standing nearby, one wrapped up in blue robes.

The draenei took a step closer, looking at Sagi for a few moments before speaking in that familiar monotonous tone, "... Do you... remember me?"

A smirk appeared on Sagi's face. No doubt it was his most natural expression, the effortless grin he had given so many. Before Sagi even had the chance to speak the draenei knew his answer, but Sagi spoke anyways. "Of course I do Relon."

Relon gave no sign of acknowledgment, no nod of the head or movement with his hands. Instead, he stared quietly for a moment or two, eyes staring at Sagi unwaveringly. Maybe he didn't believe it could be true. For over a month Sagi had been chained here in Nagrand and for all that time it had been Relon who watched him. Sagi had forgotten for some reason Relon couldn't find, forgotten who he had once been. Instead he had been acting to believe in the light, to preach its teachings. But Relon knew as well as anyone else... Sagi belonged to the dark.

"Will you.... explain," came Relon's voice, though it hardly sounded like a question. More like a bland statement from his mouth.

Sagi continued to wear the smirk, leaning his head against the soft bark. He flashed his teeth in a full, partially devious, smile before speaking yet again. They spoke briefly, Relon only asking a question or two, allowing Sagi to do most of the talking. And then, finally he asked one last question, "...So... what now..?"

Sagi let out a sigh, "I'm tired Relon. I can't keep going anymore, no I'm done. Its time I finally get my chance to rest."

The Life of a Heretic

The desert wind howled, pounding against little Gadgetzan with all its might. Sagi felt the sting of the sand as he made way for a tavern, ducking inside while a few goblins served food at a rushed pace to the customers who entered. He took a look around before finding a table with two seats off by the corner. Sliding into the wooden chair with just a soft creaking sound from its legs, he glanced around while a goblin walked up to him.

"Whatcha want?"

"Water would be great."

A few moments passed before a cold glass of water was sitting on the table and Sagi was busy scribbling away on the first page of a blank book, bound in brown leather.

It has been so long since I last wrote. Actually, if I remember correctly, the last time I busied myself with writing was when I was hiding in Shattrath, before the Autumns crashed my fun there too... Time certainly has passed... Its been something like a year since then. To think, some of the most significant moments of my life, some of what may end up being my greatest achievements and glories... All having happened just a year ago. And my entire life, over 600 years, may all be coming to a conclusion today... Leaving me for the rest of what could be eternity, with just memories.

But this doesn't make sense yet, does it? Its just rambling, on and on. So, lets start from the beginning. I am Sagi Nightwhisper and this... This is the final testament of my ambition. I don't write to remind myself of what I once was, or how 'powerful' I could have been. Nor do I write to mope about how I've failed because truly I've accomplished more in year than most men do in their lifetimes. No, I write so that I never find myself forgetting who I am. So that if the day comes that my fading tenacity disappears completely, that I no longer have the will to resist a weakness that overcomes me... I can read this again and remember how great I was. At least this way, when I fade away I won't be some old, dusty relic but a proud and shining artifact of my own age.

When I started I was merely a tool with a job. Destroy the light. Eliminate paladins. Bring the downfall of the Church. I was made to forget who I was before that purpose, my existence from now on was to the shadow. Of course, I hadn't forgotten life, what it was when I was a priest for Elune. Rare it is for a man, a Kaldorei male to join the ranks of the Priestesses. But my faith was strong in the goddess and my teachers made it close to unwavering.

And so it was when i started. When I learned Shadow, when my faith started to fuel those dark energies within, it was not because I had forsaken Elune. No, at the start it was because I felt darkness, hatred, evil, must exist in the world for a reason. Naaru are idols of Light... but so much light brings with it a shadow. For the Naaru, most Draenor is that shadow. Undoubtedly even Elune has a shadow cast behind her, and so I stepped into Elune's shadow to learn what the darkness held.

Sozun, that forsaken... He gave me purpose to destroy the human Church of Light. If that was the job of the shadow, then why deny what was now my duty? So I joined him, joined him a year before anyone ever knew my name. During that first year he fine tuned my skill, but also introduced something foreign to my philosophy. The Cult of Forgotten Shadow, the virtues of respect, power, tenacity, and death. For a year a preached in my head Elune's shadow, and to Sozun the Forgotten Shadow. I became lost, my mind split down the middle where I no longer knew what path I actually walked.

When I was finally 'ready' he introduced me to Therai and then Mistal, both with the same plan, one to make the Church fall for good. He called it 'The Heretic Circus,' a show to introduce Elwynn's citizens to the dark and while we worked to instill fear we would lure the citizens to that very darkness. Sozun didn't want to reveal himself so he had me, his faithful tool, be the face of it all... And what a face I was.

In no time we basically had a small force... Saif, Tiny, Therai, Mistal, Gladstone, Haim, and Aemondall. Nothing to actually stand up to the Church with but far more than enough to rock the boat. And rocking the boat could have been some of the best fun I've ever had. Of course all things come to an end. First came 'team Autumn.' Annabelle, Alexas, and Andra. They snooped, we were caught and without another choice we fled.

From there the Circus changed... First it was hiding all over Kalmidor while we were chased by Autumns combined with their friends... And they had quite a few, namely Sylvandre and her groupies following after us. I'll never forget that standoff here in Tanaris... It was truly the first testament to the might I was gaining. By then we had picked up a few more, including Tekla, but we were still grossly outnumbered and lucky to have escaped at all. I, Tiny, and Therai stayed in Shattrath for a while afterwards where we found Relon. He's been a favored ally since.

And then, upon our return to Azeroth I was plunged even deeper into the darker side of my mind. We traveled to a place in Duskwood called The Catacombs. By then even more than I'd have ever imagined joined under the Heretic banner, Richtnel, Izzy, Shivala, Berenice, Redis, Naraith, Layna... So many names all crowding in the confines of my memory. The Catacombs caretaker Snack gave us the space and all we did was expand. Expand, experiment, and dive into darker and darker power. All the while I had to forget more and more about the side of me that once claimed to live in Elune's shadow. He did not exist, he could not exist if he were to lead. No, it was the Forgotten Shadow that gave me strength in times of need and so my faith became reliant on it. The principles of the Forsaken gave me power and so it became reflected in my personality. At first I thought it was some foreign seed in my mind, but the time came when I left behind Elune to follow the shadow only.

When it came time for us to take arms and defend the Catacombs it was the the true test of my faith in Shadow alone and when we pushed back the 'invaders' Shadow proved itself superior. Where was no longer a logic to returning to Elune's shadow. I had found a new truer darkness and a new purpose, to strengthen myself even further. We picked up even more of course, both allies like Saraya, 'neutral' members like Rheina, and enemies in disguise like Grimwood. But I stopped caring. I was too far above even my strongest members. Certainly, I wasn't the best fighter... But I controlled a force to be reckoned with now. Everything became about pushing myself to the next level, crushing the next enemy, finding the next great power. I even found myself facing off against Sozun, the teacher whose tool I once was, because I thought myself that extraordinary.

But sometime after the rise there came my fall. My mind was split again as the old faith returned, questioning what I had gained, whether I truly understood myself, whether i truly believed in the Forgotten Shadow. That relic of my past, the side of me who still thought himself a tool... All that doubt made me once again lost, confused within the boundaries of my own mind. Everything was unbalanced, in chaos, my thoughts, my actions, and feelings. When Gladstone died I questioned my own ability, my own power. It was failing me. Then, it was here again, in Tanaris where I fell, pierced by Sylvandre's arrows.

When next I awoke, risen from the grave, I was greeted by faces I did not expect. Annabelle, one of my enemies, and Cela, my teacher from the time that I walked with Elune instead of behind her. The split was gone but the confusion didn't fade. Was I so weak that even my enemies now took mercy on me? Then, it was my own who freed me from 'imprisonment,' lead by the work of a betrayer in their group, Reigen. She, along with three of my own, Layna, Naraith, and Wilhelm sacked the Autumn base and freed me yet again. But my revival, my freedom, all of it. It paled in comparison with the confusion I still had...

And it was Andra who left me with one last thought to ponder over endlessly as I searched for answers. During the towers invasion I asked her why she resisted, why anyone resisted the darkness. Sozun taught me a lesson I tried to impart to her. Even Naaru, as connected to the light as they are, become darkened. This progression cannot be stopped, in fact it is apart of the nature of the universe. And to me Andra spoke back, "It is true, but the Naaru do not remained darkened forever. They forever cycle through Light and Darkness, never ending in one, always returning to the other. This is the universe." I still wonder whether or not this is true, but I've yet to find out.

Then ca-..

Sagi turned his head as he saw the crowded tavern emptying. The storm was over, sand settling. He picked up his glass of water and finished it before blowing on the ink on the pages, one by one. Then Sagi stood and walked back out into the city. It was still quiet but the hustle and bustle were quickly returning. He found a place out in the sun, then started to write once again.

Then came my time to search for power once again. I lost it all when I died. My organization, my infamy... So with Sozun i set off to find it. I refused to return weak so I hid away, conducting my work with Sozun in secret. Together, in the night of Duskwood we looked into some of the darkest magic I've ever seen. The power of nightmares. Of making one's fear surface by connecting the power of that fear to the Shadow Plane. If any power was worth wielding it was the nightmares of my enemies... But Sozun was just using me to test what he knew was dangerous. And, blinded by ambition, I didn't refuse to what I knew was folly...

This darkness started to call upon my own nightmares... First in my sleep, then it seemed as if they might be surfacing. But I ignored the fear as we searched the potential of this power more and more. It took blood and sacrifice to use this power and soon I found myself searching for weak to experiment on. I knew they would die but it didn't matter. At the time I would have killed countless just to have the power that was once mine.

But that power never came. At least, not to me. Instead powerful beings appeared all around me, and I felt small. At first it was only the Demon Hunters that I had heard of... The 'Council of Blades' that worked against fel and the like. But it didn't end there. Relon's power with magic grew... I don't know how it happened but something in him changed and the way he carried himself made it obvious. Redis, was much the same. He fought off fel addiction and then pushed himself into even further power, to the point where when next I saw him, standing outside the Catacomb's entrance... He was a different man, becoming one with undeath and all its power. Shivala even told me of Sylvandre becoming a Warden... Now the woman who killed me was far beyond my reach of challenging.

And then there were the new powers... Fel-sworn like that Marianna. I met with her twice and each time I couldn't shake the fear that I felt. Me fear! But her form was dark and wicked like nothing I've ever seen. Both times I was in her presence I felt nausea and nervousness like I never had before. And then, Sozun came back to me, ascended. What was I now but left behind? Everything I had achieved before seemed to pale in comparison to the power that those around me now wielded. What was I to do now... but fade away?

Sozun tried to convince me that perhaps I needed the nightmares of those who feared the darkness the most to gain power. Members of the Church of Light. It was then that he hatched a plan to have me return to Stormwind as a Priest of Light... so that I may gain the trust of its people and use that to lure them away from safety, where we could extract greater nightmares and truly learn how to understand and possibly even wield the power of fear. There was only one stipulation, for this last plan my mind needed to be altered.

The spell wouldn't be permanent but it would make me believe that I were a Priest of the Light for a month or so. Perhaps it was a foolish decision to go along with the plan and alter my own memories but I felt like I had no choice. Part of me wanted so badly to have the might I deserved... It was rightfully mine... And part of me wanted to see if Andra was right... Whether a being of shadow could be reborn to light.

The memories of my time as a Priest for the Light are still trapped in my head... Their like an opposite existence and at times its hard to believe that part of my life was simply a lie. Then I remember the crap that I preached and know for certain it couldn't have been me.

Now, as I sit here and wonder of my destiny I question my strange fate. It was a force lead by Redis and many of the others who belonged to the Catacombs that took me from my place in Stormwind and ruined that final project. It was Relon who plucked me up and left me in Nagrand for a month while I sat delusional, contemplating my place among the Light within the universe. It is because of them I am now forever forgotten...

But now, with memories of what could be happiness in my mind and Sozun forever out of my life... It is because of them that I am free. Only Relon knows that I am in Tanaris and in a few days, even he won't know where on Azeroth I'm hiding. Even with this understanding of my life I still cannot understand my fate... But what does it matter now.

Sagi blew on the pages once again before closing the book. He went back into the inn, walking into a room. Letting out a sigh the elf put his book and pen on desk before plopping down into one of the beds. For a few moments he just stared up at the ceiling grinning. Then he stood up, walking over to the mirror. In the end, little about him changed. Same clothing, black boots all the way up to his black shirt. His dark green hair had started to grow back already, all remains of the white disappearing. The only thing that was missing was his black hat, long since given back to Sylvandre.

Slowly, Sagi unbuttoned his shirt, revealing black markings all over his chest. He slid the shirt off, the same marks and symbols on his back and arms. They were tattoos, but not ones found normally worn by the Kaldorei.

"When you awaken a priest of light you will be lost... but with these markings you will be forever branded and bound to the Cult of Forgotten Shadow. Never will you leave our side Sagi and these will be a testament to your eternal faith."

Sozun's voice echoed in Sagi's mind again and again, saying that phrase until Sagi started to laugh, flashing his smile back at the mirror, "You were wrong Sozun... I'll never be trapped to you or anyone again. I'm free."

Spoiler:
Yes, Sagi has given up the evilz. He will still be a character of mine, still available for rping and the like. However, he will cease to be my main and I'm officially disbanding whatever remnants of the Circus still exist. Will he ever be evil again? I highly doubt it. Is he good now? No, moreso neutral and just another person in the world. He still won't start hanging around in Stormwind taverns or anything like that but like I said, if you've got the reason, he may show up for rp.

I definitely enjoyed his time as a baddie (as well as all those, inside and out of HC who were involved) and look forward to the next baddie that appears in my head for CoTH domination.
Oh, the memories. I really do feel like these two made each other over those long months.
I great end to a great character's reign of heresy. I won't say I'm not happy with the way he's turned out, not many villains have the chance (or the want) to retire like Sagi has and it's an interesting turn, that I must say I really wan't expecting.