Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Laptop Recovery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone. Quick question: When I got my computer repaired I had to revert to Windows XP home edition (SP3) from Windows Vista. Problem is I had forgotten all about the recovery disks (that didn't come with my comp when I purchased it from a pawn shop.) I have found the set I need on recoverydisks.com for $30.00 and I was just wondering. Before I go ahead and buy them. Will I have to wipe my hard drive in order to get vista back on there? Or will the recovery disk containing Windows Vista allow me to upgrade?

Thanks a bunch!
You will have to download your data onto the new disks and then re-image your hard drive, thereby uninstalling XP and installing Vista.
I suggest backing up your current drive so when you re-image you won't lose any of your data. Also, once the reinstallation and imaging is completed I highly suggest running a virus and spyware scan as soon as possible, as something may be corrupted during the process.
If you wish to get back out of XP, why not just upgrade straight to 7? It's vastly superior to Vista.
(07-26-2011, 12:58 AM)Kretol Wrote: [ -> ]If you wish to get back out of XP, why not just upgrade straight to 7? It's vastly superior to Vista.

I definitely agree. It's lighter, easier to understand and more functional. Much, much better. Also, Vista has diver issues with some devices and 7 - I haven't had any problems yet. :)
Thanks for the help guys. And for Kretol & dastmo. The recovery disks I have found will cost me only $30.00 USD. Whereas Windows 7 will cost me well over $100.00 and I will still be without my recovery disks so finding drivers will be extremely difficult without purchasing a driver wizard. I just do not have thee cashola. But thanks again for the suggestion! :D

Edit: P.s. I have no idea what re-image means. And I have nothing to back all of my stuff onto. Nothing that is large enough to hold my WoW installations. Which would be fine. I could just save my documents and such and simply re-install wow.

Edit#2: I have done some research on re-imaging and it seems relatively simple. But yes, backing up is still a problem. Aren't there some free sites that do backups?
Actually, finding drivers for Win7 won't be a problem (if you machine isn't too old, but considering you run Vista, I doubt it), because:

1. Win7 has a large library of default drivers, which work good enough for many devices. The only device, which didn't work properly for me since installing Win7 without its specific drivers was my video adapter, but it's an odd one from an odd Radeon series and... yeah. Laptops and their corresponding video cards suck.

2. Almost all (if not all) manufacturers provide drivers for Win7 on their websites. For over 13 years with different machines, ranging from Windows 98, going through Millenium Edition, XP, Vista and 7, I have never had problems with finding drivers for any of my PCs.
Except for one case - the laptop I am currently using had no drivers for XP the first months after it went out on the market and I was stuck on Vista for about an year... anywho, that's a one case scenario.

Yet, it is all your choice and the difference in the prices is really a major factor. I am just pointing out. :)