Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Draenei names
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=22396

Draenei with a last name. Discuss.
I remember an RP where a Draenei took on a human last name, adopting the practice of giving themselves surnames after the humans and other social groups. It's intriguing, and I think it can apply on an individual basis ("hey, last names are cool! I want one too!"). However, as a social trend? That takes a while.
Do realize that this specific Draenei is a part of the Wyrmcult.
One draenei does not decide a social tradition. And besides I'm not sure she is draenei to being with or that her birthname was Draaca. What are the odds that a future dragoncultist was named that? So Longtail is most likely just a nickname. Like Jessera of Mac'Aree.
Ophera Windfury.

Granted she's a joke.
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=18906/caregiv...a-windfury
Even if she's a joke, on the WoWWiki it says this afterwards.

"This makes her one of very few draenei with a last name."

So this I believe states it's rare, but it can happen. ^.^

Which I think everybody knows, but eh. More evidence? I think so!
It's just a last name based on a physical trait, like a nickname.
And--she's in the wyrmcult.
Indeed. On average, Draenei don't take last names. Those that do likely use a last name more like a title or comment on some notable feature. If Ophera is suddenly canon, "Windfury" likely comes from her being a Shaman with a heavy air-bent, and given the rarity of the situation, she verywell could have been the first Draenei to use a Windfury totem or some such.

Or she's just a joke.

This is all speculation, of course.
Draenei don't have last names, but one can adopt one if they wish. The complete opposite can go for a human being, if need be.

[Image: picgen.gif]

...I kid. I'd be extremely hesitant to approve a human profile without a last name, unless there was an extremely good reason as to why. At the same time, I wouldn't approve a Draenei with a last name without an extremely good reason why either. Tongue
There's plenty of good reasons why a human wouldn't have a surname: they're an orphan, they've abandoned their family name, they've forgotten it entirely, they just don't care.